Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

Yeah the super important forest for the trees thing not to miss here is that all this fun weirdness about twisting gameplay mechanics to be annoying but endearing only ends up BEING endearing if your game actually functions. Which Nier Automata oh fuckin boy does not. Thank god the Nier remake was made by competent folks and so its only problem is it runs at super high speed past ~60fps, which is fine I guess because hey optional DMC Turbo Mode

edit: The PC version of Automata is so bad that it caused the sounds made by other programs on my computer to desynchronize while running it and streaming it at the same time. And the game only has a max res of like 900p60! It's not a very system intensive thing!

i feel like part of why people aren't constantly making GBS threads on the game like you want them to be is that this is the thread for talking about things you like about games

game ran flawlessly for me, fwiw, and I 100%ed it + am considering a replay now that the first game's remaster is out and i've started waking up with weight of the world in my head again (god, both games have fantastic soundtracks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flatluigi posted:

i feel like part of why people aren't constantly making GBS threads on the game like you want them to be is that this is the thread for talking about things you like about games

This is pure projection on your part bro I love Automata and Yoko Taro's wild rear end catalog, Automata is one of the best games I will ever play and I'm confident in that

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
A couple of of my fav little things for NieR:Automata:

YoRHa doesn't seem to actually stand for anything, despite the specific capitalization (same with NieR - it's a stylistic choice)
The language in the songs is completely made up

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

el oso posted:

YoRHa doesn't seem to actually stand for anything, despite the specific capitalization (same with NieR - it's a stylistic choice)

ultra same

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Wasn't the language some kind of amalgamation of French, Japanese, Russian and others? As in, it would be some kind of a language of the future, coming from various cultures? It's still made up, but not completely.

Or was that a different game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Wasn't the language some kind of amalgamation of French, Japanese, Russian and others? As in, it would be some kind of a language of the future, coming from various cultures? It's still made up, but not completely.

Panzer Dragoon does this, its Greek, Latin, Russian, and Japanese blended up to make convincing gibberish. It rules.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Szurumbur posted:

The original Nier had a number of other languages for the soundtrack using that logic, with languages that sounded like French, Japanese, Russian, and so on but didn't mean anything (as you can imagine, the faux-English one was a trip). Automata I believe just stuck with the faux-French.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's also the Last Guardian where the words are written in rōmaji and then spelled backwards.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This is a bit of weird one because it's less a small thing unto itself and more a counterpoint to a dragging it down I've heard before.

I finally got around to doing Fallout 4's Nuka World DLC and was a little worried because I had heard you had to pretty much fully immerse yourself in being a shithead raider to get the most out of it. But as far as I can tell...that's not really the case?

The bulk of the content is in the form of 5 dungeon areas, and as far as I've read the quests to clear those out still trigger even if you walk into Nuka World and kill the first raider you see. Now, if you want the nice perks waiting at the end of the raider main quest, you do have to get your hands a little bit dirty and lean on some settlements back in Boston. But they give you some pretty easy outs for those too - you can pay your way through the entire process (the voice acting even makes it sound like the settlers are happier to have the 500 caps than keep their land). Hell, you can talk down the local raider gang that shows up to try and shove you off their turf, which is a really unexpected option.

And then of course after you've done all that business and gotten the rewards you wanted you can turn right around and exterminate all those shithead raiders and take your settlements right back too. :getin:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

el oso posted:

it stands for Yo, Really Hot androids

Also I'm loving the Replicant remaster/remake/version upgrade. Combat feels so much snappier than it used to. And I think BroNier fits the story being told better than DadNier.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought it was Yoko Taro's Really Hot androids.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Capcom announced that the Monster Hunter patch would drop tonight and gave a roster of what was in it. And then just like how they stealth gave RE 7 combat the madmen added extra monsters they didn't announce

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

Capcom announced that the Monster Hunter patch would drop tonight and gave a roster of what was in it. And then just like how they stealth gave RE 7 combat the madmen added extra monsters they didn't announce

Things dragging the game down: they added Kushal daora

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Also the fact that it should be constantly crashing but isn't. That might be considered a problem.

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1385757947112804357

I actually found Nier Automata to run like a dream on PC, once I upgraded my PC to fit its specs. Not sure what I was doing different from you lot.

There's been a patch that makes it less poo poo than it was at launch.

There's also a new one coming out with no specified date to bring it up to the (allegedly, I have not bought it) perfectly fine Windows store version.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently got the Disgaea remaster of the remake on Switch. I was a huge fan of the original on PS2, but I didn't really like the "sequels" that NIS published right after (I think they actually were older games that only got published in the West after Disgaea got popular) so I never played the proper sequels until Disgaea 5 a few years ago, and when I played D5 I thought that the main game was extremely good (the mechanics, mind you. The story was garbage) but the post-game was REALLY railroad-y; like there was only one way to level up your characters, and that was to grind the same level over and over with a particular attack from a particular class.

I kind of expected something similar when I got back into the original Disgaea because I remember spending a LOT of time in Cave of Ordeal 3 back in 2003, but you can get through a good 90% of the post-game with just regular play in the Item World. The first time I followed a guide which I think must have been made to get to Baal in the least amount of time, but unfortunately that involved leveling up for literal hours on a single map, reincarnating and re-leveling up, then running for the best sword in the game, then grinding gladiators, then just bashing your way through all the content you had left.

This time, I'm just taking breaks from the main game to level up items, which levels up my characters, which unlocks new classes and allows me to subdue me innocents and provides new tiers of items which I then level up... Without feeling the grind at all, I got the penultimate sword, axe, staff and fist weapon, I can pass any bill in the senate and I can take on most post-game maps, and I'm pretty sure that by the time I get even one of the ultimate weapons and level it up I'll have unlocked everything in the game.

There are WAY fewer mechanics in D1 than in D5, but the progression is so much more natural and fun!

My memory is also a little fuzzy, obviously, but the remake and/or remaster seem to have improved a few things, like being able to cancel animations, change a move order without cancelling it, etc.

Almost 20 years later, the first Disgaea is still the best Disgaea! (says someone who's only played 1 and 5)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

CordlessPen posted:

disgaea stuff

Well, something's pretty different about our playstyles, because this:

CordlessPen posted:

the post-game was REALLY railroad-y; like there was only one way to level up your characters, and that was to grind the same level over and over with a particular attack from a particular class.

is what I would have pegged as the main issue with Disgaea 1's postgame content, and this:

CordlessPen posted:

This time, I'm just taking breaks from the main game to level up items, which levels up my characters, which unlocks new classes and allows me to subdue me innocents and provides new tiers of items which I then level up... Without feeling the grind at all, I got the penultimate sword, axe, staff and fist weapon, I can pass any bill in the senate and I can take on most post-game maps, and I'm pretty sure that by the time I get even one of the ultimate weapons and level it up I'll have unlocked everything in the game

is my experience with Disgaea 5!

I won't get into any further details 'cause I don't want to start a slapfight, but it's interesting how there's such a difference between us!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

John Lee posted:

I won't get into any further details 'cause I don't want to start a slapfight, but it's interesting how there's such a difference between us!

Oh, man, no worries! I have to admit that my first time playing D1 it really seemed like CoO3 (X-X-X-down-down-X-down-down-down-down-down-X-up-X-X-repeat) was the only way to grind, but this time around, probably because I remember where most things are AND because I don't mind "wasting" time in order to avoid doing the grind, find that just dicking around in the Item World works wonders, whereas the one and only time I played D5, I felt like the time I spent doing anything in the first half of the game was wasted compared to having a Sage grind that one level and turn everything into a stat-boosting item.

I'll fully admit that I gave up on D5 way earlier than I did D1; maybe I didn't give it a fair shake.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Hey, could just be a difference in base playstyle, maybe I missed something in D1 and you did in D5, or hell, maybe it's just a mood difference.

(Interested in D6, though, which goes even further down the rabbit hole of passive growth by letting you set elaborate turn-by-turn macros for your characters for different stages!)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Disgaea sounds like it's for such a specific type of brain, one which I find both alien and fascinating

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Disgaea sounds like it's for such a specific type of brain, one which I find both alien and fascinating

Disgaea is the logical conclusion of "numbers go up" gameplay and it is completely unashamed at it, which i respect.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Disgaea's playstyle lends itself really well to handheld consoles you can sleep at any time, and the main game is basically FF:Tactics except insane and with an awful plot that it's best to entirely ignore. I've never really gone deep at the post game of one but I've played a handful of them and feel like I definitely got my money's worth.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

They also put out a disgaea gacha game recently and the disgaea mechanics poet over fairly well which means I have something to occupy me on my hour long train ride to work

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

Disgaea's playstyle lends itself really well to handheld consoles you can sleep at any time, and the main game is basically FF:Tactics except insane and with an awful plot that it's best to entirely ignore. I've never really gone deep at the post game of one but I've played a handful of them and feel like I definitely got my money's worth.

tbf it's not like the plot (at least in 1, haven't played the others) tries to be anything other than light comedy 99 percent of the time. even if the jokes fall flat most of it is just "here's a new party member" or "go here, fight these guys"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Disgaea 1 owned and 15 year old me thought it was the funniest thing on the planet. Especially once CAPTAIN GORDON, DEFENNNNNNNNDER OF EARTH showed up. I appreciated that you could beat the game at like level 80 but could continue grinding up to 9999 with several tens of thousands of stocked levels and hit enemies for like 10 million+ damage with a single swing of your sword

Also you can steal a horse dick from a zombie and equip it on one of your characters for a meaty stat boost

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Disgaea is the logical conclusion of "numbers go up" gameplay and it is completely unashamed at it, which i respect.

Oh yeah I have nothing but admiration and slight terror, it's a game that 100% knows its identity and that's a rare thing

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kit Walker posted:

Also you can steal a horse dick from a zombie and equip it on one of your characters for a meaty stat boost

I...Wha...:stare:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

It's a really powerful zombie because it's made out of high-quality parts. Which show up in its equipment list, and therefore can be stolen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's Extremely Anime but takes itself not particularly seriously, given the games basically revolve around a depiction of Hell where good is bad and bad is good to the point where nothing actually matters and demons are lazy hilarious jerks. Come to think of it, it's probably a considerable inspiration for Hazbin Hotel.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

IIRC you can also get duplicates of items through Item World shenanigans so theoretically you can equip someone with three horse dicks

“The fists of a Dark Karate master... The legs of the fastest demon in the Netherworld... The brain of Mahogany, a famous sorcerer... The iron body of Hercules... And a horse wiener!”

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Apr 29, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I was showing the game off to my friends in high school and they were weirded out by one of my prinnies having the horse wiener :cry:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Having now seen the conclusion of Fallout 4....credit where it's due: The interlocking relationships between the four factions is pretty well handled, though maybe a bit confusing if you don't look up the big picture of how it all fits together. Granted, there was no big betrayal moment for me with the Brotherhood because instead Danse, great judge of character that he is, invited me up to the Prydwen where there was a terrible accident involving Maxson's stupid fashy face and my 400 lb. nuclear warhammer. But needing to actually infiltrate the Institute for the sake of the Underground was neat. As was having my revitalization of the Minutemen come back to bite me in the rear end a bit.

Also in the final mission, you can have one last chit chat with Father as he lays dying and he straight-up asks if you're there for some last minute heart to heart or just to gloat and you can in fact just gloat. :byewhore:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

I was showing the game off to my friends in high school and they were weirded out by one of my prinnies having the horse wiener :cry:

Well, you should have given it to Etna instead, which isn't weird at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Having now seen the conclusion of Fallout 4....credit where it's due: The interlocking relationships between the four factions is pretty well handled, though maybe a bit confusing if you don't look up the big picture of how it all fits together. Granted, there was no big betrayal moment for me with the Brotherhood because instead Danse, great judge of character that he is, invited me up to the Prydwen where there was a terrible accident involving Maxson's stupid fashy face and my 400 lb. nuclear warhammer. But needing to actually infiltrate the Institute for the sake of the Underground was neat. As was having my revitalization of the Minutemen come back to bite me in the rear end a bit.

Also in the final mission, you can have one last chit chat with Father as he lays dying and he straight-up asks if you're there for some last minute heart to heart or just to gloat and you can in fact just gloat. :byewhore:
There is something to Bethesda's writing in F4 that lets you just be a total dickhead that I love

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Fallout 4 is pretty fun to play but I always have a sour taste cause it could have been so much more. On the other hand injecting psychojet and screaming loving KILL at the top of my lungs before punching fash BoS out is awesome.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's a tiny thing I really appreciate about Fallout 4: taking drugs has an effect on you beyond stats. Yelling AWWW YEAH is just great

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Oh man I didn't know that. I always just sell the non healing stuff.

Does it do that in NV and 3 too?

I have a complicated relationship with IV. Parts of it I love but I just couldn't get into it like I did with the previous two.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Oh man I didn't know that. I always just sell the non healing stuff.

Does it do that in NV and 3 too?

I have a complicated relationship with IV. Parts of it I love but I just couldn't get into it like I did with the previous two.

No, drugs in 3 and NV are basically just little vision blurs and stat changes except for the slow-mo Turbo

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
IIRC you can go crazy on Datura in NV's Honest Heats DLC

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah you only scream angry poo poo when popping drugs in 4, which is about the only upside of a voiced protag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah you only scream angry poo poo when popping drugs in 4, which is about the only upside of a voiced protag

Also the Silver Shroud quest.