Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

There's Black 3.0 now!!!

These legacy Hero names keep getting lazier and lazier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I am fully willing to believe that Anish Kapoor is an rear end in a top hat for other reasons (I know about him getting very mad about people calling The Bean, well) but he neither invented Vantablack nor is at fault for it being patented, which is all I was trying to say, as well as informing people that Semple is all on board the burn down the rainforest to get a shiny url train, so that they can be aware of that if they were considering buying his pigments

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 27, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I am fully willing to believe that Anish Kapoor is an rear end in a top hat for other reasons (I know about him getting very mad about people calling The Bean, well) but he neither invented Vantablack nor is at fault for it being patented, which is all I was trying to say, as well as informing people that Semple is all on board the burn down the rainforest to get a shiny url train, so maybe don't hold him up as a proletariat hero of the art world

He's the one who says only he can use it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

so maybe don't hold him up as a proletariat hero of the art world

also, no one is doing that? there's like 10 posts, you can read them all on the same page. no one said anything about semple (or even mentioned his name other than a vague "the guy") other than that his pigments are better and less restrictive to use lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 27, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Deku would buy All Might NFTs for sure.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Babe Magnet posted:

also, no one is doing that? there's like 10 posts, you can read them all on the same page. no one said anything about semple (or even mentioned his name other than a vague "the guy") other than that his pigments are better and less restrictive to use lol

you're right, my wording was unnecessarily combative. a friend of mine has been getting dogpiled by semple's sycophants since calling him out for launching a ton of nft's so it's a weirdly touchy subject, i edited the post to reflect what i was actually trying to say instead of being mad at the guy and his weird fans

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oh jay posted:

Deku would buy All Might NFTs for sure.
AM: O4A will provide SURGING POWER

Dek: "OMGCAMIPLUGMY2060INTOMYAEMANDMAKEALLMIGHTNFT?!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Babe Magnet posted:

also, no one is doing that?

too late it's canon now

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

you're right, my wording was unnecessarily combative. a friend of mine has been getting dogpiled by semple's sycophants since calling him out for launching a ton of nft's so it's a weirdly touchy subject, i edited the post to reflect what i was actually trying to say instead of being mad at the guy and his weird fans

it's fine, there's a few artists I've decided to stop supporting due to their turn into NFT territory so I understand lol. Gorillaz putting some out almost broke my heart, you know due to their whole rallying against environmental damage and more specifically pumping out corporate waste into the environment while getting meaningless bullshit in return, but I figured that's mostly the ideas of their dogshit manager they either can't or won't get rid of for some reason lol

christmas boots posted:

too late it's canon now

gently caress

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Every NFT sold only hurts No. 7 hero Kamui Woods all the more.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Babe Magnet posted:

but I figured that's mostly the ideas of their dogshit manager they either can't or won't get rid of for some reason lol

Nah that’s just because Damon albarn us a gigantic loving moron who finds the worst moments possible to talk poo poo, he’s been doing it for like 30 years

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh jay posted:

Every NFT sold only hurts No. 7 hero Kamui Woods all the more.

this is the real reason they're bad tbh

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nah that’s just because Damon albarn us a gigantic loving moron who finds the worst moments possible to talk poo poo, he’s been doing it for like 30 years

that too. They've been pretty annoying for a bunch of different reasons the past decade, and I'm assuming for longer but I was willing to let a lot slide during those first three albums lol. hell of a run.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This thread seems depressingly inactive. Maybe when the season picks up there will be more talk? I'm a dub watcher so a couple eps behind you all but I'm intrigued to see Shinso again. And of course Monoma the real main character has returned.

But yeah, just feels like S4 and 5 have been kinda slow on the posting front here. Somebody elsewhere at least considers these the weakest arcs in MHA so maybe that's why. S2-3 were indeed nonstop greatness.

Of course, while I was not a huge fan of the Overhaul Arc overall, it was still very good and had my favorite villain thus far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tck8WGhczRY

His Quirk is basically Shigaraki's but way better. A fitting symbol for their entire characters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Season 4 had its issues but it was neat to get a quick glimpse at how terrifying Deku is going to be someday

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The next arc this season covers should engender more discussion.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
S4 was fine IMO, S5 won't really get cooking until towards the end of this arc, then the entire rest of the season will be a real show for the anime-only crowd. I guarantee you'll enjoy it if they adapt it properly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The season will get much better after the current arc (or possibly even towards the end of it depending on how some of you feel), just bear with it for a little while.

In fact, the whole series will arguably start ramping up a bit from the end of the current season on.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 30, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

This thread seems depressingly inactive. Maybe when the season picks up there will be more talk?

I feel like it's kind of hard to talk about this arc compared to something like the sports festival because not much is known about 1-B's quirks so it's hard to predict or speculate. And a lot of people caved and read the manga I think.

Of course, if any anime-onlys want to make some predictions or think about 1-A's team compositions that would be rad. I remember when teams were shown in the manga everyone was certain that either Todoroki or Bakugo were going to lose hard for instance. And that Monoma will copy One for All and immediately explode.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Monoma is a character I really want to see in action, his quirk seems like it could lend itself well to some really creative uses if he just rapidly swaps what quirk he's copying. It has the obvious downside of "you're never as good at your quirk as the person you copied" so for him to be a real threat he'll need to have some pretty interesting applications of it.

I really like seeing shinso in action, he's a cool character concept and the show did a good job of demonstrating how he's still a real threat even when you know what his quirk does. I'm guessing deku will outsmart and clobber him in their eventually faceoff but honestly I'm rooting for him

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ninjewtsu posted:

Monoma is a character I really want to see in action, his quirk seems like it could lend itself well to some really creative uses if he just rapidly swaps what quirk he's copying. It has the obvious downside of "you're never as good at your quirk as the person you copied" so for him to be a real threat he'll need to have some pretty interesting applications of it.

I really like seeing shinso in action, he's a cool character concept and the show did a good job of demonstrating how he's still a real threat even when you know what his quirk does. I'm guessing deku will outsmart and clobber him in their eventually faceoff but honestly I'm rooting for him

The voice changer really makes him OP tbh

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Step 1) dress as a civilian
Step 2) ask villain “But why are you doing this!?” In most side character mode possible
Step 3) profit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

M_Gargantua posted:

Step 1) dress as a civilian
Step 2) ask villain “But why are you doing this!?” In most side character mode possible
Step 3) profit

Robots or no, it is ridiculous that no one took a second to think about any of this before dumping him in general studies

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Robots or no, it is ridiculous that no one took a second to think about any of this before dumping him in general studies

Eraserhead for the FIVE-HUNDREDTH time to the UA school board posted:

The Entrance exam sucks!!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I mean, invisible girl's quirk is about as suited for fighting robots as Shinso's and she made it in the hero course. Seems like the problem is as much with him as the entrance exam.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, invisible girl's quirk is about as suited for fighting robots as Shinso's and she made it in the hero course. Seems like the problem is as much with him as the entrance exam.

A parallel between him and Izuku that stuck out to me as I rewatched the anime is how they both really didn't exercise their bodies much if at all.

I know some people have used this to attack Izuku saying that "he didn't really want to get in or he'd have worked out more." Well, Shinso didn't work out at all either and they both needed external motivation to get swole.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm pretty sure Hagakure passed by simply walking up to the robots and turning them off/ripping out their circuits. Not sure how any of the judges watching all the students would notice the invisible one though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I'm pretty sure Hagakure passed by simply walking up to the robots and turning them off/ripping out their circuits. Not sure how any of the judges watching all the students would notice the invisible one though.

Infrared or thermal imaging or something. Don't think too hard.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

A parallel between him and Izuku that stuck out to me as I rewatched the anime is how they both really didn't exercise their bodies much if at all.

I know some people have used this to attack Izuku saying that "he didn't really want to get in or he'd have worked out more." Well, Shinso didn't work out at all either and they both needed external motivation to get swole.

All Might gave Tokoyami the same advice at the end of the Sports Festival. He was a twig back then who relied solely on Dark Shadow.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

If this arc is a low point, then color me excited. I like seeing all these quirk matchups and I want to see Monoma be effective for at least a little bit before he gets his rear end kicked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which makes me wonder, if Eraserhead used his quirk on Hagakure would she become visible?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Larryb posted:

Which makes me wonder, if Eraserhead used his quirk on Hagakure would she become visible?

Doesn't he have to be able to see people in the first place to turn them off?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dracula Factory posted:

Doesn't he have to be able to see people in the first place to turn them off?

Good point (unless her floating clothes count)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Larryb posted:

No, being invisible is just a natural part of her body like Tokoyami's bird head or Tailman's tail.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Hagakure also was in better shape than Deku for the Quirk Apprehension test at the start of class. And that was after the American Dream plan made Deku strong enough to carry a 500 pound man on his shoulders.

Hagakure's quirk might not be the best for taking out robots, but she at least prepared for the entrance exam rather than just hoping she'd get lucky.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nephthys posted:

No, being invisible is just a natural part of her body like Tokoyami's bird head or Tailman's tail.

Ah, so it doesn’t work on Quirks that are literally part of their body (like say, Tsu wouldn’t suddenly stop being a frog if he were to try it on her)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Larryb posted:

Ah, so it doesn’t work on Quirks that are literally part of their body (like say, Tsu wouldn’t suddenly stop being a frog if he were to try it on her)

Yeah, IIRC what he disables isn't the quirk itself but the underlying "quirk factor" which is the thing that contains all the poo poo that lets people actually use their quirks. So it won't make her not a frog, but she might have trouble using her tongue to do frog stuff or whatever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Yeah the fact he wasn't immediately swooped up into whatever sort of Black Ops CIA poo poo exists in MHA seems odd.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I start rewatching MHA S4 though, and remember discussions from the last thread, I think Nighteye is a big problem for many and why S4 chafed some folks.

He has a Bakugo level first impression in just being a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat who is picking on a good kid for ultimately petty, selfish reasons. His relationship with All Might seems to be a total retcon, right down to when he's dying All Might and he barely interact and his death is far more about Mirio.

Ultimately he is a crude plot device to have Deku Smash Destiny or something. Although I like the idea it was Eri more than Deku, or at least the two of them working together.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nighteye wasn't great, but that arc also gave us Mirio, Eri, Fatgum, and Rock Lock who are all just wonderful, as well as 100% Deku kicking the poo poo out of Overhaul, which was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yes he can’t affect people with Morphed bodies. Eijiro for another example would not lose his tail. However with his quirk erased he would not be able to move it.