Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I play with both diplomatic and religious victory off

Diplomatic victory is dumb (and religious victory enabled makes the AI always rush dozens of religious units in my land which is very annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I used to just ignore diplomatic victories before GS, because they were mathematically impossible to win under my preferred game conditions (always packing the maps with more than the recommended amount of civs). Then they changed how they worked and I started getting them by accident, so I turned them off.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I turn off all victories because the real victory is the fun you have while playing the game.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I will say most of my culture-focus games end up being surprise diplomatic victories. Once you can intuit how the AI votes on the world congress it can be incredibly easy to get up to 16 victory points and then build the Statue of Liberty which none of the AI seem interested in building. Add on top of that playing a peaceful game I usually end up being suzerain of every city-state on the map in the mid-game it makes it easy enough where I've thought about just turning diplomatic victories off.

I think possibly what does me in is that I have disasters set to the lowest value, so the easy-peasy-DVP don't come to me from emergencies. In my last game as Canada, I had 18 points when I won culture on about turn 240, having got the three points from wonders and one vote where I could pick myself to get the extra points. An aid mission was just starting and would have been trivial to win but that still would have taken another 30 turns.

I'm going to try and avoid a cultural win in my new game, as Lady Six Sky. Its going well so far, I've conquered Mali after they declared a surprise war on me, so that's -5 diplomatic points per turn and making diplomatic victory less likely too...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They consulted with Maori peeps when designing them iirc. The idea is that oral tradition(culture from terrain features) is valid in itself and not necessarily a primitive stepping stone before you get to writing.

that's fine i guess it just bugs me that i'm never going to fill the great library :v:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

You can still buy books from the ai, no?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Yeah I usually turn Diplo off now, Gathering Storm made it too easy with all the aid emergencies.

I think for my next crack at Deity Culture I will just turn off Science as well, so I don't have to worry about it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HappyCamperGL posted:

You can still buy books from the ai, no?
"buy"

:ninja:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was trying for a diety culture win and wound up winning a diplo. Probably wasn't winning the culture though. I was at 800/800 tourism culture according to the reports I could see. I was being beat by greece with a 500 tourism/600 culture though somehow. The last 100 turns I was soundly ahead on both tourism and culture but had a ton to make up? When I checked the score screen at the end it listed me as basically never being ahead of greece until the very end. What was the difference? Rock bands?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I've always assumed the AI just gets insane culture and tourism bonuses on the higher difficulty levels. They never seem to build any tourism infrastructure but get loads of it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

I was trying for a diety culture win and wound up winning a diplo. Probably wasn't winning the culture though. I was at 800/800 tourism culture according to the reports I could see. I was being beat by greece with a 500 tourism/600 culture though somehow. The last 100 turns I was soundly ahead on both tourism and culture but had a ton to make up? When I checked the score screen at the end it listed me as basically never being ahead of greece until the very end. What was the difference? Rock bands?

Tourism and culture at one specific time doesn't necessarily matter, it's based on lifetime outputs. From the wiki:

quote:

The total number of tourists a civilization attracts is calculated as follows:
Domestic Tourists + Foreign Tourists = Lifetime Culture Accumulation / 100

The number of visiting (foreign) tourists your civilization can attract from another is calculated as follows:
Foreign Tourists [from a single civ] = Lifetime Tourism Output to that Civilization / (# of civilizations * 200)

I still can't really wrap my mind around how exactly this works and the game sure as gently caress doesn't explain it clearly, but basically if someone has an early culture and tourism advantage they can hold out against a later push by you for a while.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Again, the civ6 metaphor of local vs foreign tourists is total crap. Unless some DLC changed it, it's still the civ5 version. Your attack = lifetime accumulation of tourism. Their defence = lifetime accumulation of culture. There can be individual empire modifiers based on open borders etc. Once you eclipse everyone, you win. *That's it*, nothing more.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Man it would be really great if they just served you that data and not whatever the tourist thing is

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hadn't really appreciated how nuts the barbarians can be these days, I sent a couple of Apostles west near to where an AI had failed to deal with a clan, and came back with 6 Musketmen, 3 Samurai, a Legion and some other bits and pieces. I didn't even have the tech to build my own musketmen at that point!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Marmaduke! posted:

I hadn't really appreciated how nuts the barbarians can be these days, I sent a couple of Apostles west near to where an AI had failed to deal with a clan, and came back with 6 Musketmen, 3 Samurai, a Legion and some other bits and pieces. I didn't even have the tech to build my own musketmen at that point!

In my game, a camp on Canada's borders is currently churning out Minas Geraes...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
"this is a job for Brother Cadfael"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lol. I'm playing a game of Civ 5 and on the very same turn that I finish a war against America, the great artist Gilbert Stuart paints a portrait of George Washington. And if that wasn't perfect enough, he was born in the city of Washington, captured in an earlier war against America :allears:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol. I'm playing a game of Civ 5 and on the very same turn that I finish a war against America, the great artist Gilbert Stuart paints a portrait of George Washington. And if that wasn't perfect enough, he was born in the city of Washington, captured in an earlier war against America :allears:

The funniest thing that ever happened to me in Civ5 was when one of my artists painted George Washington while America was kicking my rear end in a war.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've been playing Civ6 on and off for years now, and I still don't know:
why does Gandhi tell me "there is no shame in deterrence" once per game, every game?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been playing Civ6 on and off for years now, and I still don't know:
why does Gandhi tell me "there is no shame in deterrence" once per game, every game?

because gandhi loves nukes is an old civ in-joke :ssh: pair that with the AI's time-to-react being way shorter than it takes to complete the manhattan project plus your first nuke and you get a leaderhead that asks you why you haven't built any icbms in 1200bc

Goodpancakes posted:

Man it would be really great if they just served you that data and not whatever the tourist thing is

civ 5 broke it down so precisely that it told you exactly how many turns it would take assuming the pressure/culture stayed the same

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fur20 posted:

because gandhi loves nukes is an old civ in-joke :ssh: pair that with the AI's time-to-react being way shorter than it takes to complete the manhattan project plus your first nuke and you get a leaderhead that asks you why you haven't built any icbms in 1200bc

civ 5 broke it down so precisely that it told you exactly how many turns it would take assuming the pressure/culture stayed the same

What, really? Deterrence as in nuclear deterrence?
Gandhi, my dude, my people literally just discovered how to connect horsies to carts.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The funny thing is that Sid Meier stated in his recent memoir that there never was a bug on Civ I that made Gandhi a nuke freak (he even blames TVTropes for spreading that) and that people likely ran into Gandhi saying “our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS” (which every Civ with nukes said) and extrapolated from there. Fora is then just decided to make the meme real.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
The story I heard is that in civ 1, once you hit nuclear weapons, every AI's aggression level will be lowered to represent nuclear deterrence. But there was a bug with India, because Gandhi used to have the lowest aggression level in civ 1 (iirc a 1 on a scale from 1 to 12), so the drop in agression circled back and actually gave him the highest agression of all civs.

No idea if there is any truth to this :shrug:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chikimiki posted:

The story I heard is that in civ 1, once you hit nuclear weapons, every AI's aggression level will be lowered to represent nuclear deterrence. But there was a bug with India, because Gandhi used to have the lowest aggression level in civ 1 (iirc a 1 on a scale from 1 to 12), so the drop in agression circled back and actually gave him the highest agression of all civs.

Yeah, that's the myth AceOfFlames is talking about. Later games like Civ V actually made Gandhi love to drop nukes if he ever goes to war.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ghandi wasnt really as peaceful as people are taught so its kinda funny that it basically wraps around to being more true to life

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I just can't beat deity, I feel like I can handle the barbs but just get completely outraced on science/culture/population by the AI no matter what I do. I feel like I'm getting ahead and then I see Spain finishing a research lab while I haven't even discovered electricity :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ex post facho posted:

I just can't beat deity, I feel like I can handle the barbs but just get completely outraced on science/culture/population by the AI no matter what I do. I feel like I'm getting ahead and then I see Spain finishing a research lab while I haven't even discovered electricity :negative:

you know what a research lab isn't going to save spain from? a dozen artilleries under blimps and one horseman.

i realize this recommendation is nowhere near as elegant as what a pro civ streamer might use but what can you do?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 4, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Chikimiki posted:

Funnily enough this whole thing has an article on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Gandhi

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ex post facho posted:

Well, do you give up at that point or play it out to the end? At least if they're ahead of you, you can send your spies to steal their tech.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I usually give up around 235 or so after I'm down by twice the leader's score. Doesn't seem feasible to make up at that point

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You’re underestimating how loving bad the AI is. Just stick with it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bob A Feet posted:

You’re underestimating how loving bad the AI is. Just stick with it.

the clause here is you're underestimating how bad the combat AI is. on deity, computer players get such huge bonuses that it's guaranteed to have a sizable treasury and production base, and while the domestic AI is somewhat arbitrary, with stockpiles like that it can still be a dangerous player in terms of attaining victory.

hit it where it's weak, the part of the computer that says "my last twenty gdrs were wiped out by catapults before they could even get vision on them, surely it will go differently this time"

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Does the AI become also more aggressive/warlike at higher difficulty levels or is the only difference the bonuses they receive?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I don't think they become more inherently more aggressive. Their bonuses mean they are more likely to attack just because they have more military strength relative to the player, especially early on. And there might be a negative diplo modifier for difficulty level.

E - No need to give up at turn 235. That is still way early before the deity AI is likely to win.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 5, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also the AI is really bad at building and developing their cities, so even if you are very behind, if you are doing a better job at that, is likely you will catch up later in the game

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ex post facho posted:

Don't neglect the 4th X, eXterminate.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Waging war as a large empire against another large empire always sounds fun in my head until I actually start it. It's always such a slog with the moving of units and things.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Step 1-choose how you are going to win, whether it be science, culture, religion or diplomacy, choose how you are going to win. (In this case Science)

Step 2-choose a CIV that is overpowered in that particular win condition. (There's plenty of options, but lets go for Korea)

Step 3- read your chosen CIV's unique bonuses and think about how that should change your play pattern.

-In this case Korea has the Seowon, which is an inherent +4 adjacency campus that is cheaper to produce but must be placed on a hill.. It receives -1 adjacency for each adjacent district. Your mines get +1 science and Farms get +1 Food for each adjacent Seowon. With this knowledge you should plan out your cities and government policy card with this in mind. Use pins to map out your initial city on turn 1 and likely future cities after you have explored your local lands and are producing settlers. In korea's case you want each city center to be 2 tiles away from a Hill. Every tile around that hill should (if able) have a mine or farm next to it. Your other districts should follow normal placement procedure, just don't let them be adjacent to the seowon. As the Seowon is also early in the tech tree, you should beeline that tech.

-As the Seowon has naturally high adjacency, you should seek out the culture cards that double campus adjacency, this will help sky rocket your science.

-Korea also gets bonus science and culture yields for having a governor placed in a city. Thus you should ensure that as many cities as possible have a governor in them, with preference given to your highest science producing cities. Pingala should go in your most populous city as he alone can make it a high science producing city with his first promotion.

Step 4-Consider what things outside of your CIV's specialty are required for that particular win condition.
A Science victory requires a good deal of production, so dedicating at least 1 or 2 cities to be high production centers will be important. You want these to be cities near a river, and possibly near floodplains with a good deal of hills and/or otherwise strategic/luxury resources that can be turned into mines. Your production city will want to focus on 4 districts, the Aqueduct, the Dam, the Industrial Zone and the Spaceport. You should try and plan out the city such that the Industrial zone is adjacent to the Dam and the Aqueduct and if possible the spaceport as well. This will net you a minimum of +4 adjacency to the Industrial Zone. The endgame Science projects require a great deal of production so having at least 1 if not 2 or 3 cities here. You will want to get a factory and at least a coal power plant in the Industrial Zone.
Traders are another good source of production, so in those cities which aren't focusing on the production districts/spaceports, they should consider placing Harbors/Commerical Hubs and getting traders. Traders are amazing late game for transfering a bunch of production into 1 city by having your trade routes all originate in 1 city.

Step 5-Consider what are the likely challenges to your victory and prepare as best you can for them, without deviating to strongly from your core plan.
All victory conditions, other than Domination are weak to the Domination victory condition, so you should plan for this. Make sure all of your boarder cities have a decently strong ranged unit in them, such as a Hwacha, that is at least current to the era to help prevent aggression. You can get more lax on this if you have good relations (such as an alliance or friendship) with your neighbors. So be sure to spend some time on diplomacy and having a military reserve.
Science can often be weak to a strong culture push, so in cities that are not going to be your primary production cities, consider building Theater Squares after the Seowon and Commercial Hub/Harbor (with market/lighthouse and trader) have been completed. Further, make sure you don't neglect to build the monuments in your cities EARLY, as they are a very good return on investment.
Spaceports and Industrial Zones are very weak to being disrupted by spys. Have a spy in those cities with Industrial Zones and Spaceports and have them counterspying to protect these all important districts. Remember that spys protect the district they are in as well as adjacent districts so place them such that they protect the Spaceport and Industrial Zone if possible.

Step 6-Have a default starting build order for your initial city so you can spend your mental stack on dealing with new difficulties and challenges that arise. If you are good at using scouts to harry Barbarians I would go Scout, Scout, Settler. If you are weaker or more worried about early game aggression (from Barbarians or otherwise) I'd recommend going Slinger, Slinger, Settler. (If you are in the middle going Scout, Slinger, Settler is also great). Scouts will get you terrain knowledge (Helps with the planning discussed earlier) and can grab tribal villages and City State envoys. They are an amazing return on investment. Slingers help you clear out Barbarian hordes and protect your squishier non-military units.

Step 7-You aren't making enough builders. MAKE MORE BUILDERS. After your initial build you should take a look at what techs you have researched and what tiles your citizens are working. Improve those tiles. Your citizens should never work an unimproved tile if you can help it. Be sure to use the Builder related government cards to help in this process.

Step 8-When you make a mistake, and you realize what your mistake is, don't get upset. Say out-loud what your mistake is, and what you should have done instead and write it down on a piece of paper. This will help commit that piece of information to memory and should help keep you from doing the same thing again.

Step 9-If you don't know something, look it up in the Civpedia, or google around for the info. We live in a digital age and other people will help you improve.
Honestly if you do all that you should be fine on deity.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 5, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

Waging war as a large empire against another large empire always sounds fun in my head until I actually start it. It's always such a slog with the moving of units and things.

this is why one unit per tile was a bad design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

this is why one unit per tile was a bad design decision.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could group select and tell them all to go over there rather than having to do them individually. Even if they all had to be on different tiles, it would still great reduce the micromanagement aspect