Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

twistedmentat posted:

The version i saw was censored, was it for anyone else?

And holy poo poo Roger and Steve being bit by the snake over and over was one of the biggest laughs i've had since the pandemic.

They're allowed a couple shits per episode since the move to TBS, but they still have to censor stuff like gently caress or rear end in a top hat(I've never understood why it's the hole part they usually censor instead of the rear end part or even just the whole word)

Honestly though I've always found beeped* out swears and blurred genitals funnier than uncensored ones(the "Dickisode" episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force for example) on TV shows, minus a few exceptions like the episode of South Park where they say poo poo uncensored over 150 times

*it has to be an actual noise censoring it though, when they instead just mute the offending word it just ruins it, like imagine how lame the swearing episode of SpongeBob would have been if instead of dolphin noises they just muted out the audio whenever they "swear"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh yeah, bleeped swears are always more hilarious than actual swears.

*BLEEP* is just the funniest thing that can come out of a characters mouth.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Roger and the Doctor babbling the word 'money' at each other got me. So glad to have this back, there just isn't anything else quite like it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You must be sucking the glass *bleep* if you think...

"The McKenna foundation destroyed in unprintable disaster, seriously don't ask"

Excellent episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

masterpine posted:

Roger and the Doctor babbling the word 'money' at each other got me. So glad to have this back, there just isn't anything else quite like it.

The show runs best in these wonderfully absurdist and surreal moments. There really is no comparison for this show and I love it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I loved that despite being bitten by countless venomous snakes, Roger continued to approach them with the same equipment: a pair of common salad tongs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PizzaProwler posted:

I loved that despite being bitten by countless venomous snakes, Roger continued to approach them with the same equipment: a pair of common salad tongs.

Without those you're doomed

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The show runs best in these wonderfully absurdist and surreal moments. There really is no comparison for this show and I love it.

There's something about the writing for this that makes this show really unique and consistent. I think part of it is virtually all of the best jokes tend to escalate two or three times, and they don't really waste opportunities to get as much value out of a concept as possible.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
Looks like Roger's finally managed to escape the show and make it into real life: https://www.wbrz.com/news/man-bitten-while-using-barbecue-tongs-to-remove-rattlesnake

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I loved screechy and owl who puns are the easiest joke imaginable but drat i still loved it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Looks like Roger's finally managed to escape the show and make it into real life: https://www.wbrz.com/news/man-bitten-while-using-barbecue-tongs-to-remove-rattlesnake

The Baton Rouge news site made me double take, but it’s California.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PizzaProwler posted:

Baby got clack!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

drrockso20 posted:

They're allowed a couple shits per episode since the move to TBS, but they still have to censor stuff like gently caress or rear end in a top hat(I've never understood why it's the hole part they usually censor instead of the rear end part or even just the whole word)

They're allowed exactly two and they lampshaded it in one episode (I think it was the cold open) where two characters say "poo poo" uncensored, and then when Klaus says it, he gets censored. I don't understand the logic -- like, is a kid who shouldn't even be watching American Dad in the first place going to have his mind tainted by the extra "poo poo"s or something? Whatever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

PizzaProwler posted:

It was quick but I loved that one was a snake in a zoo and one was in a pet store.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PizzaProwler posted:

Yeah it's really obvious he went into it having done no research whatsoever on how to hunt snakes(which makes it even more hilarious cause the proper methods for hunting snakes are barely any more complicated than Roger's completely uncooked plan), and if he had managed to actually catch one he probably would have had no idea how to milk their venom either(probably would have thrown them into a giant blender or something equally useless and ludicrously expensive)

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I was thinking about this episode and how the writers throw in little things to show the Smith children are like their parents and realized this episode has been kind of done before. Stan had an episode where he was embarrassed at Francine during parties, usually pushing her into a pool, because of how dumb she was. Its an early one so I don't remember what happened to Francine but I do remember Stan goes to a party with Greg, where Greg pushes Stan in the pool because he's too dumb. Its an early episode so I don't remember much more than that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

limp_cheese posted:

I was thinking about this episode and how the writers throw in little things to show the Smith children are like their parents and realized this episode has been kind of done before. Stan had an episode where he was embarrassed at Francine during parties, usually pushing her into a pool, because of how dumb she was. Its an early one so I don't remember what happened to Francine but I do remember Stan goes to a party with Greg, where Greg pushes Stan in the pool because he's too dumb. Its an early episode so I don't remember much more than that.

Daddy Queerest, season four.

PizzaProwler posted:

Look, he sunk a lot of money into those t-shirts and had to advertise them somehow.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Daddy Queerest, season four.

You're right and other than what I wrote I don't think Francine being stupid really played a part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I do have a mild aversion to shows doing the Flowers do Algernon ‘stupid character becomes smart, everything is worse’ plot, and that did grate a little here. But the show had enough of its own charm to pull it off.

I did like that Myron is apparently the best Hayley can do without Jeff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly though I've always found beeped* out swears and blurred genitals funnier than uncensored ones(the "Dickisode" episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force for example) on TV shows, minus a few exceptions like the episode of South Park where they say poo poo uncensored over 150 times

*it has to be an actual noise censoring it though, when they instead just mute the offending word it just ruins it, like imagine how lame the swearing episode of SpongeBob would have been if instead of dolphin noises they just muted out the audio whenever they "swear"

I was surprised they censored dick both times someone said "suckin' on the glass dick".

When Roger has a character that's super detailed I figured he's supposed to be a specific person, and there's some show about a guy who captures snakes for venom and he uses salad tongs.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I do have a mild aversion to shows doing the Flowers do Algernon ‘stupid character becomes smart, everything is worse’ plot, and that did grate a little here. But the show had enough of its own charm to pull it off.

Frisky dingo had the best flowers for algernon plot, where the dumb clone became super smart and then someone immediately shot him because the plot of the show is already complicated enough

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"It's complicated enough without all the evil twin bullshit having."

Technically was a twin brother and not a clone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cartoon characters drawn realistically is apparently the funniest possible joke to me

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm going to be moving back to Nova Scotia at the end of May and that means I'm going to be quarantined for 2 weeks after i get there. Lucky my parents building has furnished apartments to rent and so I plan on binging all of American Dad now that its on Disney+ Star.

I will have to document what kind of being I become after that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

twistedmentat posted:

I'm going to be moving back to Nova Scotia at the end of May and that means I'm going to be quarantined for 2 weeks after i get there. Lucky my parents building has furnished apartments to rent and so I plan on binging all of American Dad now that its on Disney+ Star.

I will have to document what kind of being I become after that.

A superior being with good taste.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

I was thinking about this episode and how the writers throw in little things to show the Smith children are like their parents

Steve's boob obsession & Oedipal tendencies are my favorite example of this.

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think he's the best she can do -- I think he's the best she wants. She ran to the dumbest dude she could find after Jeff got smart.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I’ve been nipped!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think about the dolphin guy sometimes and laugh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Russian Doll
Season 18, Episode 2
Stan becomes infatuated with a doll that the CIA wants to use to spy on the Russians.

https://twitter.com/americandadtbs/status/1385986951703040003

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
As much as I want to watch the new episode, I got my second COVID vaccine yesterday and I don't think I'll be able to say up that long.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
His wife and kids were wearing Broncos jerseys! In Denver! That's Raider country!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Anytime we get a montage of Roger answering questions as his personas is great. "I was gifted a trampoline by a prostitute I'm in love with."

That beginning too of "The Russians are doing things again! Hooray!!"

I wish we got a little more of Jeff and Haley swapped. "Babe, I understand now after walking a mile in your tampon." loving amazing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, the TBS site only gave me a few minutes preview this time :( Guess I'm looking for another way to watch it, again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brawnfire posted:

drat, the TBS site only gave me a few minutes preview this time :( Guess I'm looking for another way to watch it, again.

I don't know why networks do this. I'm fine with watching your show with ads if it's convenient, but if you make it too annoying to access I'm just going to pirate it and feel no guilt what so ever while doing so.

Edit:

You're a good dad Stan

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 27, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does the intro song sound slightly sped up to anyone else

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There were a lot of call backs this episode, and the continuing saga of Klaus's poster.

I can't decide if I want the B-12 c-plot to have been expanded into a B-plot or maybe even an A-plot, or if part of what makes it so funny is because of how in the background it is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They're gonna gently caress it up and we're gonna see Georgie in the background some point in the future. Also I hope Abe H was picking them off so he could be with Snot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes actually.
Usually I don't notice something like that, so it must have been slightly significant.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're gonna gently caress it up and we're gonna see Georgie in the background some point in the future. Also I hope Abe H was picking them off so he could be with Snot.

https://youtu.be/yYtMYspzKBg

"I'm B11 and I'm in love with B7" yeah your theory checks out. Also he was described as the angry one, in retrospect that should have been a red flag. Not a good sign when someone's defining personality trait is just "rage".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Thank goodness I thought it was just me.

I totally expected the b12 killings to lead to some kind of plot where steve and co get chased around and wacky stuff ensues and I do think it's funnier that instead he didn't give a poo poo and the problem was resolved by chance.

This episode had a lot going on and it got many laughs out of me. So glad this show is back.