Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I figure Rudy's voice is going to get better with time, not for any diagetic reason but the VA is doing his best Mantzoukas impression and it's really hard to do an impression and inflection at the same time. It takes time and a lot of practice that the VA might not have had time for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Panfilo posted:

A superhero immune to 199 bullets a day (resetting once every 24 hours) would be a pretty funny superpower.

That's basically Empowered. Emp has a super-suit that gives her immense strength and invulnerability, but the suit itself is not invulnerable and once it's been damaged enough she loses her powers until it can regenerate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

That's basically Empowered. Emp has a super-suit that gives her immense strength and invulnerability, but the suit itself is not invulnerable and once it's been damaged enough she loses her powers until it can regenerate.

And she's naked afterwards.

I am enjoying the series way more than I thought based on my reaction to the comics. I might have to give them a try again. There's only one major spoiler I know from the comics but i think that happens down the line, so i'd be going in fresh.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think part of the trope with mooks or grunts that exist just to get merced is also meant to display that they don't have a choice when an altercation occurs. We saw this when Titan confronted the security forces and told them they could put in the token effort and live, or they could try to fight and die.

Whether it be soldiers or other government workers, or goons and other private security, they have to be seen as doing their job or they're gonna have a bad exit interview with their boss (who probably don't give a gently caress that it was an indestructible super they were facing, they are paid to fight and protect property). We see it as a trope but in reality it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

This ignores isolated incidents where a single person finds the super and decides "nope, I didn't see that, we can't stop them and they haven't tripped an alarm, I'm not gonna be that guy that ruins it for everyone"

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Iron Man 3 kind of did that too

https://youtu.be/i4vAZZ8iLGY

Last guys says "these dudes are weird I'm out"

(Ignore the part where his armor pieces can't break through a lovely wooden garage door)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well that new ep was certainly intense. fun to see Omni run into some stuff he wasn't necessarily equal to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Interweb posted:

some general thoughts thus far:

- i don't know about the rest of you, but j.k. simmons has permanently been etched in my mind as the nazi rapist from oz, so seeing him in literally any other role is almost impossible for me. ESPECIALLY when he's playing a good guy. or 'good' guy in this case.

That or the Band Leader from Whiplash, which is also loving intense. He's possibly more of a sociopath in that movie than as the Nazi in Oz. (In my experience, this is accurate of many band directors)

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Only problem I had this ep is that it makes Amber's annoyance last episode weirder. I 100% buy and do not fault her reasoning for dumping Mark in general, but it makes it obvious that last ep was just withholding info for the sake of drama.

Like, it feels weird that in e6 her specific objection was 'you ran away' unless she was trying to phrase it in such a way as to force Mark to own up to what he did, but it didn't feel like that what she was doing in the ep itself. Would have been nice if we had some sort of hint that she was basically just giving him rope to hang himself with, but they wrote it in how they did so the reveal of her knowing in e7 would be a surprise and that's to her character's detriment. E6 was the worst of the season basically because of this IMO.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think JK blends in pretty well as Omni-Man for me, only one who stands out for me is Mantzoukas. He's like three times as old as his character and just using his normal distinctive voice.

I loved Immortal coming back, I liked the whole not-Justice League a lot. It would have been really cool if he had put up more of a fight though, I mean he sure did, but he basically lives in some other dimension while he's dead right? It would have been cool if we saw some stuff hinting that he had learned from his first fight with Omni-Man and when Omni-Man went to kill him the same way again he predicted it and delivered a perfect counter and did some stuff to put Nolan in serious danger before he dropped the hammer and did something more surprising than just punching to take him out again. Him being full of battle rage was so hype though. If the timing were better and it was Immortal, the cyborgs, and the Kaiju all vs. Nolan at once with Cecil delivering a distraction at the right time they probably could have taken him down before Mark showed up. Now we might see the new Guardians vs. Nolan with a conflicted Mark in the middle.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Justice League parodies are a dime a dozen, so g egg he immortal is a nice twist, since he brings something a little different to the table.

e X fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 26, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

e X posted:

Justice league Paradies are a dime a dozen, so g egg he immortal is a nice twist, since he brings something a little different to the table.

He's just flying brick Vandal Savage

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I really like the comedy in this show too. I had a genuine laugh-out-loud moment when Mark was about to tell Amber "I'm in(vincible)...." and you're expecting it to cut to the title screen because it always does at similar moments, but instead she slams the door in his face. I thought the timing of that gag was just perfect.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Honestly, episode was rad. Just saying it again.

JK Simmons is so loving good as Omni Man and the way they've set the stage for a face-off between father and son in front of the world with cameras rolling has me fully torqued for the next episode. I have a feeling they'll wrap things up satisfactorily and if there's a cliffhanger it'll be a post-credit kinda thing, not some cock-tease that makes the whole product unsatisfying.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've seen him in many many great roles but i was enthralled by whiplash. what a great movie to watch alone in the dark with the volume all the way up

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The interaction between William and Omniman was genuinely unnerving, got serious Homelander vibes

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I got real loving angry that nothing goes the way he wanted it vibes. All these human cattle are acting real uppity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Same.

In the vein of David Carradine explaining what Superman really thinks of humans to Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Vol. 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After Preacher, The Boys and now Invincible, we're going to have to accept as a people that Seth Rogen just makes good comic adaptions. Especially given the expectations of people when those adaptations were announced.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

zoux posted:

After Preacher, The Boys and now Invincible, we're going to have to accept as a people that Seth Rogen just makes good comic adaptions. Especially given the expectations of people when those adaptations were announced.

Not a hard thing to accept. A jolly looking stoner is exactly the kind of guy I'd expect to make good comic book adaptations.

Now Trump on the other hand, would be hard to accept.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really got bored with Preacher before the end of season 1. It was just people with redneck accents being lovely to each other. Once and a while the Angels would pop up and do something interesting would happen but I really did not give a poo poo about the problems of the people of Anneville. Preacher is a road trip story, not just another show about how people interact with each other.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

twistedmentat posted:

I really got bored with Preacher before the end of season 1. It was just people with redneck accents being lovely to each other. Once and a while the Angels would pop up and do something interesting would happen but I really did not give a poo poo about the problems of the people of Anneville. Preacher is a road trip story, not just another show about how people interact with each other.

I lost steam during S2 when they got stuck in New Orleans, and I was like, oh, they don't what to spend budget on road tripping

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kulkasha posted:

I lost steam during S2 when they got stuck in New Orleans, and I was like, oh, they don't what to spend budget on road tripping

It reminded me a lot of Walking Dead really. "Oh the real monsters are people!" Shut the gently caress up, everyone knows that, you're not saying anything interesting. Maybe people want to see actual monsters and supernatural stuff happening?

American Gods was more of a road trip but I also got bored of that because it didn't have a point. Shadow goes with Mr Wednesday and visits this weird, and then this weirdo, and by halfway through the season i'm confused on what the point is.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Preacher had potential but it got weaker as it went on. I never saw the last season. Was it worth the watch?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Piell posted:

He's just flying brick Vandal Savage

Maybe, but as far as Justice League knockoffs go, that's hell of creative.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Immortal is a cool concept, yeah. Also am I right in thinking that it showed he was Abe Lincoln?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Preacher had potential but it got weaker as it went on. I never saw the last season. Was it worth the watch?

The final season has a lot of cool stuff going on. I'd say it's slightly weaker than the 1st but way stronger than 2nd and 3rd.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nephthys posted:

Immortal is a cool concept, yeah. Also am I right in thinking that it showed he was Abe Lincoln?

Yes, the Immortal is explicitly Abraham Lincoln.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Nephthys posted:

He was actually Mary Todd Lincoln at the time.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Just couldn't let go of the beard, eh?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

MiddleOne posted:

The final season has a lot of cool stuff going on. I'd say it's slightly weaker than the 1st but way stronger than 2nd and 3rd.

Yeah, I'd agree. The first three or so episodes of Season 4 are pretty, like, how's it going, but the back part of the season is really good. Helps that they got their budget back, finally.

Season 3 isn't so bad, to be honest. I don't remember too much about it, I probably should give it a rewatch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

Yes, the Immortal is explicitly Abraham Lincoln.

I wonder if people in that continuity are aware he was Abe Lincoln but aren't really impressed because these days he's a bit of a dick plus there's way cooler superheroes around now

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder if people in that continuity are aware he was Abe Lincoln but aren't really impressed because these days he's a bit of a dick plus there's way cooler superheroes around now

Is there a similar character in DC or Marvel? The closest I can think of is Samson, who's a C-lister who I think was the actual Samson from the Bible (although don't take my word for it because I don't know anything about him really.)

The only one I can think of is Gilgamos from Irredeemable. I think he's pretty much exactly the same story as the Immortal, super long-lived hero who's seen all of history, generic super strength powerset. It'd just be an odd choice to do an analogue of him specifically -- Irredeemable is another story about an off-brand Superman going evil and killing the off-brand Justice League, and I would have thought Invincible was treading so much of the same ground that they wouldn't want to crib minor characters from it too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's Vandal Savage for DC. Not sure about Marvel.

Immortals like that are common enough in fiction that I wouldn't call it an analogue of anyone from Irredeemable--especially since Invincible predates it by several years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He purposefully set it up so Booth could easily get to him. He just couldn't take any more of Mary Todd's spiritualism bullshit anymore.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Argue posted:

There's Vandal Savage for DC. Not sure about Marvel.

Immortals like that are common enough in fiction that I wouldn't call it an analogue of anyone from Irredeemable--especially since Invincible predates it by several years.

Apocalypse is probably the closest Marvel analog, being possibly the first mutant human and thousands of years old, but he is asleep for a lot of it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NmareBfly posted:

withholding info for the sake of drama

That's basically the title of the show.

This episode was a big improvement, but there's something missing. I'm not really fussed about whatever Omni-man's secret is, but I can tell the show really wants me to be. Also the episodes should be 10 minutes shorter.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Immortal was so desperate to conceal that he was immortal that he let Reconstruction get hosed up during his successor's term instead of just acting like the bullet had missed a vital area haha.

Either that or his body takes a really long time to actually come back to life after one of his deaths. I don't remember if the comic ever explains how his powers work. It's more just a gag that he's got similar facial hair to Lincoln.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

Immortal was so desperate to conceal that he was immortal that he let Reconstruction get hosed up during his successor's term instead of just acting like the bullet had missed a vital area haha.

Either that or his body takes a really long time to actually come back to life after one of his deaths. I don't remember if the comic ever explains how his powers work. It's more just a gag that he's got similar facial hair to Lincoln.

I mentioned this in an earlier post right after watching the episode, but I think it's way better writing to never mention it again. I love filling in the blanks there on my own (and reading other people's speculation)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Just started reading the comic to see what things were like in grand ol' 2003 and I gotta day I actually like a lot of the changes to the supporting characters (though I'm only on issue 10) since they feel more like actual people instead of just silhouettes that are there for the main characters to sound off on every so often.

Perhaps the not-Justice League gets more coverage in flashbacks but boy at least in the show they are present before just getting merced by Omniman. Certainly a fun read so far but, much like The Boys, the show has filled out the world a lot better and (so far) is looking to surpass the comic in a lot of ways.

Also, I am glad that there isn't a lot of edgy poo poo that turns me away from the comic, as opposed to The Boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ccs posted:

I don't remember if the comic ever explains how his powers work.

I just read the whole series and he seems to regenerate at the speed of plot.

It's a little hard to compare since in the comics Nolan wasn't hurt at all by the guardians and the time between "guardians murdered" and "nolan being outed" was like 3 days

e: decided to spoiler that just cause it's comics stuff, but there's nothing in it not presented by the show already