Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno what to tell you, I like the action scenes in the MCU. :shrug:

How do you feel about Mad Max Fury Road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

I'd donate multiple organs for a George Miller Mortal Kombat movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

It’s pretty great!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

pospysyl posted:

There's lots of weird cuts like this, even in the opening fight with Bi Han and Scorpion. Like, Bi Han has Hanzo pinned against a tree and the camera's zoomed in, and then for a split second there's a completely different composition where they're fighting with the camera zoomed out and a tree in the foreground.

Theres so many!

Im not one to have a lot of technical gripes with films of a certain level, mostly because I think even most movies I do not like are made by people with a lot of technical competence and skill but this one threw me for a loop.

The DP hasnt done much of note in this realm but one of the editors has edited movies with plenty of good action cutting so Im wondering what exactly happened.

My only suspicion is that the more experienced editor had cut the action at a much slower pace, allowing wider shots of the fights to breathe, but then the other editor was brought in with a mandate of making it snappier and more fast paced.

The problem here is the cinematography does not lend itself to that style of editing at all so you have a huge clash where theres just not the coverage to create that type of kinetic motion so they tried to make up for it and it just doesnt work. There were plenty of shots in the fight scenes I thought were good and I kept wanting it to stay on certain angles but they just could not stop cutting and cutting but it seemed like none of the choreography sequencing or coverage was meant for that.

Once again this movie reeks of WB hack job in certain areas.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Are we to assume that Sub Zero killing Scorpion in the opening was the first time Shang Tsung cheated, or was it solely clan beef?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

forest spirit posted:

Are we to assume that Sub Zero killing Scorpion in the opening was the first time Shang Tsung cheated, or was it solely clan beef?

Think the implication is clan beef since Bi-Han says "for the Lin Kuei" and it seems like Hanzo sort saw their attack coming eventually and regretted some decisions he had made based on his reaction to his family's death.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

forest spirit posted:

In the lore it was just a clan beef if I remember right.

Then again also in the lore it’s a little more complicated (sorcerer Quan Chi was impersonating Sub Zero and killed Scorpion’s clan and family, for the sole purpose of acquiring Scorpion as a revenant).

Edit— this video is (tangentially) relevant

https://youtu.be/Eto3TevXmAs

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 27, 2021

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

JT Smiley posted:

I'm not sure how Cole's family survived the freeze attack that instantly killed Scorpion's family.

No one in Scorpion’s time was alive with the MMA skills necessary to punch them out.

Caros
May 14, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Two good scenes in this movie:

1) Liu Kang beating Kano by spamming the leg sweep.

2) Kung Lao buzzsaw fatality.

Otherwise the movie feels like a throwback to the terrible fighting game movies circa 2010, like Tekken, Legend of Chun Li, and Dragon Ball Evolution.

Sonya reaching for a pen for a split second before Kano told her to gently caress off was the highlight of the movie for me. Which, yikes.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Movie should've went with sub zero and maybe some other lizard/monster ninja stalking the earthlings in the city like Predator (or Terminator). Some nice set pieces (lol not a gym) and cool fights and I'd be happy

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AccountSupervisor posted:

Coles corny MK name should be The Wicker Man

Basket Kase

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theres so many!

I have only a basic understanding of editing and I was taken out of the movie multiple times by weird, sloppy-looking brief cuts that almost turned into flash frames.

I wonder if Cole being a UFC-ish fighter was part of his studio mandate, like "thing is popular!", even though it barely meant anything past the start. They probably could've told a more compelling story had he lost his bland family early on, gone deep into fighting in order to self destruct, and find new purpose in fighting alongside others in MK.

But really, the audience intro to MK should've just been John Carlton, nicknamed Johnny Cage for his cagefights, an MMA fighter who wants to break into acting, so he tries to sneak a documentary crew onto a boat to a secret kumite (they get left behind, so he films it himself with his cellphone).

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Johnny Cage would have to be an instagram influencer. He would do an entire fight while holding a handheld phone gimbal with a ring light

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i think the instagrammer angle is great, if you want a jake paul movie. do you want that?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Johnny Cage would have an OnlyFans where he performs CBT on masochistic dudes

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

i think the instagrammer angle is great, if you want a jake paul movie. do you want that?

If shoddy set working conditions lead to a bit of an accident while filming one of the fatalities, sure

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think my least favourite thing about this film is that characters kept saying announcer quotes from the games after every fight. Why does Kabal say "fatality... for Kung Lao" when he gets killed? It's so nonsensical. The worst kind of fanservice pandering.

I liked the bicycle kick, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Johnny Cage is a dedicated movie star like Tom Cruise

but he's incredibly narcissistic and in a weird cult of self worship that's almost as deadly as the Black Dragon clan

much like Tom Cruise

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Johnny Cage is a dedicated movie star like Tom Cruise

but he's incredibly narcissistic and in a weird cult of self worship that's almost as deadly as the Black Dragon clan

much like Jared Leto

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The editing was really distracting and made the fight scenes worse, which is a shame cause they were okay in general.

Lots of fan service, lots of cheese. To be fair I think almost everyone that they give lines to is good apart from Cole. And it's not his fault they gave him a boring character. I appreciate they were like "find me the handsomest man we have and give him the most boring possible script"

Liu kang, kung Lao, kano, sonya etc are all pretty good versions of their game characters. I thought jax was the only mis step of the main cast and woulda preferred he just start off with metal arms being cool.

At a certain point though they just stopped trying. Goro, harpy, hammer man, none of them have any lines and it makes them terrible enemies you don't give a poo poo about. Even a two line introduction before they get killed would have been a massive improvement.
The Goro scene from 95 posted earlier has Goro talking and intimidating kano and proclaiming his royalty, in 21 he's just a groaning orc from the warcraft movie.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JT Smiley posted:

I'm not sure how Cole's family survived the freeze attack that instantly killed Scorpion's family.

They only appear alive after scorpion uses hell magic so I think scorpion uses devil powers to ressurect/resuscitate them

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
kano was so perfectly australian that i'm convinced he looked at the script and said that's not how an Australian talks, let me ad-lib it

otherwise, the film was loving bizarre and pretty bad overall. didn't even get good fight scenes out of it. turns out the director has never directed a feature film before. cole was boring. there was like a billion different things going on.

just do a tournament film where shang tsung is doing bad things behind the scenes and chuck in a fight scene every fifteen minutes. instead...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Given that this movie stars basically nobody of note, and the fact that I didn't even know it existed until the sizzle real for HBOMax at launch, I'm pretty sure they thought this was going to be a really small B movie that suddenly exploded due to HBOMax meaning everyone could watch it at home. I'm hoping they put more effort into a potential sequel.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
With every cool arm shatter there was some super lame stuff like Kung Lao and Goro’s fights but there’s nothing to balance out how lame the fight against frozen people was.

Even Kano wasn’t that cool.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Horizon Burning posted:

kano was so perfectly australian that i'm convinced he looked at the script and said that's not how an Australian talks, let me ad-lib it

It's wild to think Kano only became Australian because the actor playing him in the first movie was a Brit who spent his acting career pretending to be Australian.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Tonfas are a lame weapon, I'm sorry. The cop is the tonfa guy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yes but these has... Spikes! [whole executive meeting room goes wild]

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Well this silly film has made me want to play a Mortal Kombat game which... Is not an impulse I've had ever.
I hope MK11 is fun

I did this recently on an impulse too as someone who doesn't really play fighting game ( I own injustice but never play,, and have played juuust enough mortal kombat that the movie's great liu kang legsweep gag was not lost on me.)

I find it very approachable considering the high learning curve. lots of training material included, ability to set long timer windows for combos, and looks great on a series s

as for the movie, it was fun but obviously flawed but the best moments were the ones where they leaned into comedy or accurate depictions of the goofy poo poo in games. a sequel would work better as a straight comedy action film

not sure if it was mentioned, but the recurring gag of Kano's eye getting hit/slashed/etc but being seemingly fine up until chekhov's gnome was funny too

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

forest spirit posted:

I'm pretty sure that it was an attempt to circumvent a nebulous prophecy that kept getting mentioned that the descendant of Hanzo would foil Shang Tsung's plans sometime in the future.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

For those who are just getting into it: MK11 is the first time the series actually cares about legitimate fighting game mechanics and is actually fun to play. The animation is also vastly improved over MKX which is a massive plus. The cinematic story mode is worth it because somehow it shows that videogames like this have surpassed this recent MK movie in almost every category. Honestly you could be way more entertained by watching a youtube supercut than watching this new HBO movie.

It's detractors is that it's full of microtransaction BS but luckily none of that is required to actually just play and enjoy the game.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
:smug: Good morning, you're all just pretending to need this "medicine" because you're drug addicts.

:angel: Good evening, directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines obviously enriches the lives of many itt and I just woul

forest spirit posted:

Shang Tsung's whole-rear end entire storyline in the games is that he's effectively cheating the universe by existing, and doing it smugly and out of pure self-interest.

You can safely assume that anytime Shang Tsung is mentioned at any point in any MK timeline chicanery is afoot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This has made me want to reinstall MK11 and re-learn my Sonya combos but it's 100GB+ and I really don't want to bother making space on my drive for it :sigh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1386771242817105920

quote:

Samba TV is reporting that HBO Max posted its most viewed weekend premier ever with New Line’s Mortal Kombat clocking 3.8 million U.S. households. Samba TV polls HBO Max audiences in terrestrial TV homes, and in this case, those who watched the Simon McQuoid directed R-rated movie for at least five minutes. Viewership peaked on Friday in 1.7M households per Samba TV. All in, Samba TV says that Mortal Kombat‘s first weekend drew more viewers than Warner Bros./Legendary’s Godzilla vs. Kong did in its first five days, which the third-party streaming monitoring service pegged at 3.6M households.

Pair this with the overperformance of Mortal Kombat at the weekend domestic box office. Heading into Friday, B.O. estimates were between $10M-$15M for the feature adaptation reboot of the Midway videogame. The New Line movie came in this morning with an updated 3-day opening of $23.3M. The title was in competition against R-rated Funimation/Aniplex anime feature Demon Slayer which also overperformed to $21.1M, beating its $10M projection; that movie respecting a pure theatrical 90-day window. To date, the $55M Mortal Kombat has made $51.1M.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m sure getting the most views ever is great but I have trouble thinking you want to hit that mark with something as mediocre as this movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

boop the snoot posted:

I’m sure getting the most views ever is great but I have trouble thinking you want to hit that mark with something as mediocre as this movie.

You think HBO cares about quality?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

thrawn527 posted:

You think HBO cares about quality?

I would’ve said yes before GoT, which I never watched but know all about because everyone talks about how much of a letdown it was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

boop the snoot posted:

I would’ve said yes before GoT, which I never watched but know all about because everyone talks about how much of a letdown it was.

They cancelled both Rome and Deadwood because they were costing them too much. Mortal Kombat got them numbers. I'm sure they're happy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Tonfas are a lame weapon, I'm sorry. The cop is the tonfa guy.

Yeah, the tonfas were dumb. The armour itself actually was a halfway decent idea. It's clearly supernatural, gives Cole a unique strength to lean on, and lends itself well to a certain back-and-forth dynamic in a fight scene. Even better, with his grappling background, even something as mundane as extra strength and durability has the potential for sweet brutalities. Hell, they even use that a little bit when he goes to town on Goro.

Except then they give him these dumbass tonfas and he just immediately goes back to "punchman, but now a little more so". Congratulations, your mystical supernatural arkana is getting the same abilities as a mall cop with a pocket knife and some duct tape.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Caros posted:

Sonya reaching for a pen for a split second before Kano told her to gently caress off was the highlight of the movie for me. Which, yikes.

What’s the yikes in context to (since Kano telling Sonya to gently caress off is their baseline character relationship on a good day)?

davidspackage posted:

But really, the audience intro to MK should've just been John Carlton, nicknamed Johnny Cage for his cagefights, an MMA fighter who wants to break into acting, so he tries to sneak a documentary crew onto a boat to a secret kumite (they get left behind, so he films it himself with his cellphone).

I hoped for an after-credits scene where the camera pulled back revealing Cage directing the film we just watched since the games established multiple times that this is exactly what he does after the first tournament. Characters constantly rib him for it;
Kabal even has a specific mid-match dialog telling Cage “Ninja Mime 4 sucked!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Perestroika posted:

Congratulations, your mystical supernatural arkana is getting the same abilities as a mall cop with a pocket knife and some duct tape.

Ok, now I want to see the movie about a mall cop with improvised tonfas.