Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
so my friend got me a robe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

^ amazing friend and amazing robe :swoon:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1374206716951228417

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

daily gravitas

vvvv i have the utmost faith in large marge!

perepelki fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 26, 2021

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The first broody of the season, now named Large Marge, got moved to the new chicken shed this weekend. Now that she’s by herself we gave her the 4 incubator eggs that should hatch Tuesday-ish. She hasn’t been bothered by the move and she is absolutely dedicated to her eggs :3:

And there’s poop everywhere.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dammit! I saw this walk by from my home office window and ran outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PheBzTgGlOg

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Alterian posted:

Is that an actual concern though? I hear about raccoons, foxes or minks taking chickens all the time, but never about possums even though we have them here as well.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Lawson posted:

Is that an actual concern though? I hear about raccoons, foxes or minks taking chickens all the time, but never about possums even though we have them here as well.

They will if they're desperate, but if your coop is raccoon-proof, it's possum-proof.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Joburg posted:

The first broody of the season, now named Large Marge, got moved to the new chicken shed this weekend. Now that she’s by herself we gave her the 4 incubator eggs that should hatch Tuesday-ish. She hasn’t been bothered by the move and she is absolutely dedicated to her eggs :3:

So you can just put a broody hen around any random eggs and she'll go "These are my eggs now"? Are there ever incidents with hens just going "All eggs are my eggs" and stealing them from each other?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

So you can just put a broody hen around any random eggs and she'll go "These are my eggs now"? Are there ever incidents with hens just going "All eggs are my eggs" and stealing them from each other?

Yes, if they are in the mood they will brood anything round shaped.

I have heard of hens relocating eggs but I haven’t seen it in person. My hens usually stick to a favorite nest or pick the nest with the most eggs on it when they get back from a potty break. The non-broody hens will sometimes get in the nest with a broody and lay their egg, and the broody will accept that egg into her clutch. I gave all of my hens golf balls and removed the real eggs so we didn’t end up with new eggs developing alongside the older ones.

Last summer I naively put 3 broodies in an 8’x8’ hoop coop and it was fine until the chicks started to hatch. Then I had 3 angry sumo wrestlers fighting over the tiny babies... one chick got hurt and limped around for 2 days before she got better. This year I am separating the broodies for a week or so when I give them eggs or chicks.

Large Marge didn’t leave the nest at all today and wouldn’t eat or drink when I moved her to the food and water. Hopefully she will tomorrow.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

Large Marge didn’t leave the nest at all today and wouldn’t eat or drink when I moved her to the food and water. Hopefully she will tomorrow.
When Daisy suddenly went broody, we brought her out of the nest several times a day and plonked her down in front of a bowl of food and water (was the height of summer here in the UK). It would take her several minutes to realise the bowls were there and then she'd have something to eat and drink.
After that, a huge poo, possibly a bath, then a big double wing flap with a loud "Bawwwwwk!" and back to the nest.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

gigantic broody poos are hilarious

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lawson posted:

Our pen right now is not the greatest. You can see my pile of fence posts in the video that I need to go back and start building the new pen. Something's been eating eggs if they get left out overnight.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Large Marge is gorgeous and in charge. :3:

Also, that is a glorious robe for a Quail Queen!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I took Large Marge off her nest to convince her to drink but she went right back to her hatching babies :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You can tell which one is the mean one just by looking at them.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Joburg posted:

I took Large Marge off her nest to convince her to drink but she went right back to her hatching babies :3:
babies!!! :qq:

Alterian posted:

You can tell which one is the mean one just by looking at them.

BABIES

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

more bebes

https://giant.gfycat.com/LiveRevolvingGnat.mp4

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What did you use to record that?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alterian posted:

What did you use to record that?

The highest speed camera in existence

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

fuji x100f, just got it recently used and im really impressed with the video quality. no stabilization but i just threw it in premiere to fix that.

Alterian posted:

we had a possum make friends with the chickens in our little greenhouse outside. it ate some of loose feed that gets scattered around and got some shelter, and it never bothered the chickens. it got turned into roadkill recently though, poor guy.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 28, 2021

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'll take a look at it. I do photogrammetry so I am always trying to find new equipment I can look at to see if it's worth it. One of the techniques I'm experimenting with is doing it with video but the video capabilities of my current camera aren't nearly as good as that.

Edit: I'm from Rochester, NY. I think if I went back home to visit with a Fuji camera I would be run out of town! (I currently have a Nikon and a Canon I'm borrowing from work)

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 28, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm sad to say that we lost our rooster Judas about two weeks ago. He was the first and only chicken we raised from an egg. He's the crazy Halloween themed Silkie/Brahma mix in the middle there.

We noticed he was feeling down and struggling to crow, and found that he had an ear infection. We treated it, put him on a full-spectrum antibiotic, and nursed him for a few days, but it was too late. (We felt like we acted on it too late because we were wiped out from our second vaccine, but I'm not sure jumping into action a day earlier would have made a difference.)

In less than 6 months, we've gone from 5 chickens to only 2. The ones left standing are Venus (Easter Egger) and Jupiter (Jersey Giant) from our original flock. We talked about trying to adopt them out, but I don't know that it's necessary. Is there any reason not to keep 2 chickens? When one of them eventually goes, what about a single chicken?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the preen bebes. my heart

rest in peace, judas :( two chickens will be fine with each other if they're friends. three or four is perfect though, maybe you'll get a good opportunity in the next few months to give some more hens a home once you've recovered from the pain of losing most of the flock (the most awful feeling in the world)

perepelki fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 29, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Quick update on the new-ex-batts (should have written a proper update before now).

Nova has gone on the Suprelorin implant as her egg shells were failing.

Luna's crop problem is getting better and is actually laying perfect eggs now.

Elvie is due to have surgery this morning as it's been found she's totally backed up.Vet said it's a serious and difficult operation.

Elvie this morning:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Rest well, Judas, you were a handsome fella. How did you diagnose the ear infection?

Best wishes for your op, Elvie! :pray:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thank you.

Elvie update. We had a message from the vet:

"Uterus was full of pus and old rotten eggs. Managed to get uterus out with great difficulty as lots of adhesions to other organs. Still on a drip and had pain relief and antibiotics. Next few hrs will be critical. I think we should keep her in tonight on fluids and so we can repeat pain relief through night."

He also supplied three :nms: photos of the uterus, its contents and some amazing suture work...

This [much nicer] photo is from two hours later:

Not out of the woods yet, but she's recovered from the anaesthetic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Crossing my fingers for her, good luck Elvie!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ynohtna posted:

How did you diagnose the ear infection?
It was simple, he had black crusty discharge around his ear. If it had happened to a chicken that didn't have black and purple skin, I'd have noticed it much sooner. (I checked the hens and gave them a preventative course of antibiotics and CORID to be safe, mucked out the coop and everything. They weren't affected at all.)

perepelki posted:

rest in peace, judas :( two chickens will be fine with each other if they're friends. three or four is perfect though, maybe you'll get a good opportunity in the next few months to give some more hens a home once you've recovered from the pain of losing most of the flock (the most awful feeling in the world)
Yeah, I would like to get more chickens, but we just had too much going on this year to raise pullets.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

spookygonk posted:

This [much nicer] photo is from two hours later:

Not out of the woods yet, but she's recovered from the anaesthetic.
oh wow, these hen surgeries must cost you a fortune! thank you once again for doing your good work. elvie is an obvious darling and i hope she recovers, she has an amazing new life to enjoy

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry people, Elvie passed away about half an hour ago.

Hug your chickens (of all sizes).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

So sorry about Elvie and Judas :sympathy:

It's so heartbreaking to lose them especially after going to such lengths to try to save them :(

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

spookygonk posted:

Sorry people, Elvie passed away about half an hour ago.

Hug your chickens (of all sizes).
:smith: :sympathy: i'm so sorry. it may have been a short retirement, but it was still more peaceful and pleasant than the rest of her poor little life.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the quail are having one of those days where you just cannot imagine anything could ever go wrong for these beautiful creatures

perepelki fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 30, 2021

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

perepelki posted:

the quail are having one of those days where you just cannot imagine anything could ever go wrong for these beautiful creatures

I love birds in the sunshine. Sorry to those who lost chickens lately :sympathy:

My chicken raising has been full of drama this week. Three of Large Marge’s eggs hatched and she loves her babies. The other broodies rejected the chicks I got in the mail (Meyer hatchery) a couple got chilled and died while I was running errands :cry: After reading some more about hens raising large broods, I ended up giving all of the chicks to Marge. She took the change from 3 to 21 babies with aplomb and she loves them all! She’s been teaching them all about how to chicken. Even though I put the brooder plate in there, they all squish up under her at night. Good thing she’s she’s so big!

My other order of chicks from Ideal died in the mail (gently caress DeJoy) I don’t know what happened but I won’t be ordering from them again this season. Those poor babies.

So now I have Marge and her 21 chicks and 3 broodies with no chicks... I decided to set some eggs and if the broodies stick with it they can have their own babies in 21 days. It’s longer than I’d like them to be sitting but I don’t want to break them either.

The teenager chicks are fantastic. I set up a little fence so they can meet the grownups and so far it’s gone well. I need to move the grownups to the summer pasture and then the teens will move to the hoop coop and eventually graduate to free ranging. It’s busy around here but I really love this time of year.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Omg Large Marge is the best :allears:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Enfys posted:

Omg Large Marge is the best :allears:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Comet's foot has 2 yellow nails and 1 black nail