Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The completely computer generated city in this pilot is certainly a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So...it's going to be Painkiller Wick Cyberpunk 2077? Let's see how it plays out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ninurta posted:

So...it's going to be Painkiller Wick Cyberpunk 2077? Let's see how it plays out.

And with that final scene, I am in for a few episodes at least.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Painkiller show looks bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Painkiller show looks bad.

Yeah, 15 minutes in and it's looking bad. There's nothing enticing about this supporting crew. The Cyberpunk City is something super out there and out of place in the context of the rest of the DCCW (and might've made more sense if it was timeskipped to the Arrow and the Canaries future)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This whole season has been bad.

e: Though covid is probably mostly to blame.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, the Arrowverse's other backdoor pilots have at least bothered to be related to the series from which they're spawned. Like the Legends intro at least had Green Arrow and Flash doing poo poo.

Cyberpunk city looks like it's trying to be 50% Madripoor, 50% Wakanda

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
If LeVar Burton ever leaves Reading Rainbow, they so have to get Marvin "Krondon" Jones III as a replacement. :D

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

At least they explained what Val's powers are.

I'm surprised they did another Khalil cameo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Is it just me or has this show gotten really hard to follow?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

It's kind of been that way since mid-season 2. Ever since the Purdi/Sange arc. Like how Anissa moved out and into a massive apartment with a full on security AI off screen between episodes and it was never acknowledged at all.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 27, 2021

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That opening scene was brutal. So was the scene with Lynn in prison. :smith:

At least Tobias finally unleashed his master plan. If the final few episodes end up being terrible, I can just pretend this was the series finale. Everyone is dead, Tobias wins. :v:

Tiggum posted:

This season does seem to have a few too many plotlines running and this latest episode decided that all of them needed screentime for some reason. I was gonna say they didn't touch on LaLa's plot, but then I remembered he's concrete Han Solo atm. Man I hope he gets a better ending than that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I definitely feels like they're rushing to the end now, for good or for ill. I think Covid probably forced them to rewrite certain scenes and possibly plotlines to limit the number of people on set and the BLM protests may have also prompted some ideas on new subplots or adjusting preexisting ones so the end result feels like a bit more of a mess than usual.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Have we seen this evil council of bad guys Tobias wants to join before? Seems a bit late to be introducing a new cabal of villains.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so? But even if they were already established, it's clearly been too long since we've seen them so you're definitely right.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's a good thing Gambi's suits have built in plot armor :v:

Black Lightning continues to have the best soundtrack on TV.

I'm still not super hot on the new Khalil show, but I do appreciate they are giving those guys more screentime after the backdoor pilot so it feels more natural for the spinoff.

Tiggum posted:

Have we seen this evil council of bad guys Tobias wants to join before? Seems a bit late to be introducing a new cabal of villains.

It was definitely brought up last season or even in season 1 when Tobias tried to make his move against Lady Eve and take her spot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/7bEUpTW.mp4

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Sassy Painkiller is the best. The rest of the episode was okayish, the shadow council featuring a cowboy wearing the cover I have on my tablecloth not so much.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sassy Painkiller who mugs for a camera that isn't supposed to exist is really good and we need more of that and less mystic sage Khalil.

His supporting cast is also boring as crap. Just a bunch of dudes in the necessary roles and nearly no charm or character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mayor Whale :patriot: lol that he stole the LaLa "statue" and put it in his own penthouse.

Just my speculation, but I thought that Tobias would get exposed and then Jeff would not only be cleared, but run for mayor so he could try to enact meaningful reform while also retiring Black Lightning.

Cops with meta powers to hunt metas. :911:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If Tobias was able to locate the members of the evil cabal of bad guys and send an assassin to that location, what does it matter that he's got one who can turn invisible? Are they all immune to bullets?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"All hail the king!" Tobias is such a great villain.

A bit late to give Chief Lopez a sympathetic backstory. Or any sort of character really. I'm not gonna feel bad if she dies or gets arrested next episode.

Tiggum posted:

If Tobias was able to locate the members of the evil cabal of bad guys and send an assassin to that location, what does it matter that he's got one who can turn invisible? Are they all immune to bullets?

Probably to make the other members live in fear that an invisible assassin could be lurking and waiting to strike. They basically poo poo themselves when Tobias lifted his hand to signal another possible murder.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"All hail the king!" Tobias is such a great villain.

A bit late to give Chief Lopez a sympathetic backstory. Or any sort of character really. I'm not gonna feel bad if she dies or gets arrested next episode.

Probably to make the other members live in fear that an invisible assassin could be lurking and waiting to strike. They basically poo poo themselves when Tobias lifted his hand to signal another possible murder.

Yeah, it's way too late to try and give some depth to her at this point. I'm sure they tried to put it in earlier, but it probably got left on the cutting room floor with how many other plots they had to deal with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sure, but a normal guy with a rifle is also an invisible assassin, for all intents and purposes. This show really wants metas to be an absolute game-changer on every level, and they just aren't.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

CW pilot news, Powerpuff Girls' pilot got rejected but they're getting another go at it with the same cast . The Black Lightning spin-off Painkiller has been passed on.

I figured the Painkiller spinoff was greenlit due to how much they were showing this season, but I guess not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I figured the Painkiller spinoff was greenlit due to how much they were showing this season, but I guess not.

Audience reaction from the backdoor pilot probably didn't do well (and justifiably so)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ah, so they pulled an Arrow and dedicated a whole chunk of their final season better suited to wrapping up other plotlines and characters to setting up a spin-off that will never be made. Brilliant.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was a satisfying finale. Managed to stick the landing and give everyone some sort of resolution(even Painkiller!). Despite the dip in quality of s4, it was still good and probably the most consistent of all the CW shows.

JJ and Jen. :staredog: It really seems like they were tossing in future season ideas. So JJ is the ionosphere spirit? Will of The Glaze? I guess it's sentient. Comics!

Haha Anissa straight up loving murdered that security guard with her firebomb.

The porch scene with Jeff, young Jeff and his dad was very good. :3: "Use the force energy rocks Jeff."

drat. Tobias really is a top tier villain. He really is full of spite right until the end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Some more thoughts about the show overall and the final season:

I can understand why they killed off Henderson and the aftermath for Jeff, but replacing him with nu-Henderson just felt really sloppy. Especially all those times where he flat out said "I trust you because I trusted Henderson." This char should've been cut or the angle reworked.

Chief Lopez was also handled kinda poorly. Maybe they could have worked her character as someone who started out working with or tolerating Black Lightning only to change allegiances later. More wasted potential.

LaLa and his little turf war with not-Lady Eve was not great either. If they couldn't get the actress back, they shouldn't really have namedropped her and used her gang in the plot. Maybe have LaLa just butt heads against Tobias. LaLa was shown as an element of stability during the Freeland occupation, so they could have shown that some residents did like that vs Tobias and his grand promises while pretending to be a philanthropist. idk.

Also they completely dropped the magic / mysticism aspect of LaLa and Lady Eve which I thought was pretty interesting.

And just so it doesn't seem like I'm just nitpicking: I really liked the scenes in Anissa's apartment too. A lesser show would have had Gambi show up with his lady friend and maybe even nu-Henderson. But BL understood that it was just family and it worked.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 25, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That was a satisfying finale.
Absolutely disagree. Just anticlimax after anticlimax. Every plot suddenly wrapped up all at once. No weight to any of it.
  • JJ being evil was dumb. Why couldn't they both have stayed alive? Was there any actual reason?
  • Breaking into the super-secure location where the emitter is? Super easy, barely an inconvenience.
  • The cop who's had it out for them and now has super powers? Jen just zaps her. Job done.
  • Anissa and Grace's disagreements about being super heroes? Suddenly Grace is 100% on board.
  • Tobias? I guess he wasn't as unkillable as he'd seemed right up to now. And no mention of how it's going to be super obvious that a meta killed the mayor.
  • Lala? No resolution, he's just alive and free again and presumably still immortal.
  • Dexter's dad finds out his adopted son has murderous impulses and decides to give him a code to live by.
This show hasn't been good since season one, but this ending was bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The JJ plot seems like a retooled Halo plotline since that was one of the last OG Outsiders that hadn't been referenced or used in some way (Katana was in Arrow and the company connected with Metamorpho was in Arrow or The Flash). But after rewrites and such, it changed into what was shown. The new Chief plotline also seems like a bunch of things got dropped to the cutting room floor. If BL decided to go through with another season, I think these would've been developed a little better and it may have been the case that they were ready to go and keeping on with it, but they decided to cut it off and so they had to be resolved. There was definitely too many subplots running around at once. The police thing and the Painkiller stuff could have definitely been dropped (though I know why they didn't for Painkiller).

It was definitely a solid finale though. It definitely could have been better and the season better paced, but like all CW shows it does get a curve to be graded on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just caught the finale, and it definitely felt like a season finale that got hastily retooled into a series finale. I imagine that a lot of stuff like the chief/metaboosters/DEGs would've been moved forward instead of the shoved in final battle. Maybe the evil JJ thing would have been more slow played? (honestly I kind of thought that the finale to that would've been just letting her go, since as it was her story was kind of sympathetic? I mean, poor little force of nature just wanted a body, you didn't have to Neo her, Jen)

I'm amazed Gambi lived through the whole show. Figured for sure he'd die dramatically at some point this season or at least in the finale, but hey good for him I guess.

Anyway, I guess lightning couldn't strike 4 times (frice?) but I feel like the first 3 were good and this one had enough good moments to be overall a pretty drat good show. I do kind of wish there could've been some crossover with another one of the Arrowverse shows post-Crisis, but I get that ultimately the show was probably stronger for not having one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Catching up with this season and lmao, they really liked dutch angles eh? I understand this is a more dour and depressing season, but sometimes they're just used where they make no sense at all. You can keep the camera straight sometimes, you don't have to follow the example of the first Thor movie.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This season was poo poo overall in spite of a few interesting ideas and sequences here and there. Pity to see Black Lightning go out on such a whimper, although at least the final sequence was nice.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I went through all of this show over the past few months and can’t believe it wasn’t more popular. This was easily the best Arrowverse show for 3 of 4 years it was on.

Enough can’t be said about how great the music was on this show. I wish Anissa, Jefferson, Jen, or Khalil could join Legends of Tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I went through all of this show over the past few months and can’t believe it wasn’t more popular. This was easily the best Arrowverse show for 3 of 4 years it was on.

Enough can’t be said about how great the music was on this show. I wish Anissa, Jefferson, Jen, or Khalil could join Legends of Tomorrow.

Season 1 was probably the best material the Arrowverse has ever put out, largely because of the gun they were under where they legitimately did not think they were getting a second season so they left it all on the court in their first outing. Also yeah, it would not surprise me that most of the budget went towards music licensing fees for the show. I knew we were truly in for something special when we got that shot of Lala just sitting at a red light when Joey Toledo and Syonide roll up and the soundtrack was blaring Ain't No Love In The Heart of the City. What a tone-setter for the reveal of Tobias.