Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It looks like somebody looked at Kenshi and Warframe and said "Do that in one game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The Chivalry 2 Open Beta is this weekend (pre-orders only)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Insurmountable comes out on Thursday. It's another loving procedurally generated roguelike.

Wait! Look here before you dip out.

Didn't expect that, right? Me neither. As one of the many goons who became fascinated with how hosed up mountain climbing is from the old Everest thread in GBS, a mountaineering roguelike both seems like something that should already exists and something that could actually be kind of cool.

The UI looks like a phone game though, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1559060/Ultra_Bushwick/

quote:

An indie twin-stick shooter set in Bushwick, Brooklyn, made by one guy from Queens. Fight wave after wave of your gentrifying neighbors for the money you need to pay rent. Also, herd some cats for power-ups.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1558710/Generals_Positional_Warfare/

quote:

You are a general. The war has begun, and your country expects only victory from you. The action takes place in the headquarters. Here are schematic images of battlefields. You place figures of your soldiers on the field and give them orders for the day. Test the strategist within yourself. Waiting for you:

Simultaneous moves - You don't know your opponent's intentions until you make a move. You will need to consider all the possibilities of the enemy before you give the final orders for the day. Only at night will you get a complete picture of what happened during the day. And you have to adapt to the changes.
Multiple battlefields at the same time - you must control the situation on all front lines. Develop the attack in all directions, or concentrate your forces on one-it's up to you.
Addictive gameplay - you control a huge army. You will have to correctly allocate the reserve. Choose a convenient direction to attack, or an excellent position for a blind defense.
Various types of units - soldiers, engineers, tanks, artillery and aircraft. Each has its own distinctive features. And they also interact with each other in different ways.
Unique countries - Bluelands, Kingdom of Greendagar, Kredsanokia, Zoldania and Perputsk Republic. Each has its own specialization, landscape, and history.

Guide your country to victory in a turn-based strategy game Generals. Position Warfare.

The game was developed by one person.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Smelter looks like a modern take on ActRaiser and it's getting pretty good reviews so far.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/1386686092922036229

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Insurmountable was okay, but it lacks something to give the gameplay a little punch. You move around the terrain in a tile system, trying to preserve your body heat, oxygen, energy and health, etc by picking the better paths, and you stop by events that either help or sabotage your stat bars. It's like the non combat portion of something like FTL. Chill, but not exciting. I don't have the patience for it, and only recommend it if you have a particular interest for climbing.

Now to see if R-Type Final 2 holds up. It's been ages since last they made one of those. It's out tomorrow on more or less everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pluqUkjZycQ

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 29, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Legend of Keepers: Career of a Dungeon Manager came out of early access.

It plays like a reverse Darkest Dungeon with locational skills and everything. You're the boss encounter and also recruit, train and play as minions. The point is to whittle down the heroes enough to end their run before they kill you, and then you have to rotate out your minions so they can recover from having their asses handed to them.

I've been playing it since yesterday, and the title is the only bad thing about it. It's a really fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1251850/Inferno__Beyond_the_7th_Circle/

quote:

Grid-Based First Person Dungeon Crawler with survival elements. It's inspired by classic cRPG from the 90s. An old-school game for hardcore players.

quote:

Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle is an old-school Dungeon Crawler with survival elements. It's made for hardcore gamers and fans of 80s and 90s cRPG.

It's the spiritual successor of The 7th Circle. Unlike its predecessor, Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle has a more "classic" approach to the Dungeon Crawler genre: you can now save and load the game when you want and if you die you can just reload your last saved game. Also, there are plenty of new contents: more items, more skills, more spells, more tasks, quests and lot of resources to find.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Donnerberg posted:

It plays like a reverse Darkest Dungeon with locational skills and everything. You're the boss encounter and also recruit, train and play as minions. The point is to whittle down the heroes enough to end their run before they kill you, and then you have to rotate out your minions so they can recover from having their asses handed to them.

I've been playing it since yesterday, and the title is the only bad thing about it. It's a really fun.

I'm also having a lot of fun with this. Excited to see how it changes throughout the EA period.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Loose Ifer posted:

I'm also having a lot of fun with this. Excited to see how it changes throughout the EA period.

Did you misread the post? It's out of EA!

And I'm excited, because I completely missed that it dropped the 1.0 release - time to play!

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did you misread the post? It's out of EA!

And I'm excited, because I completely missed that it dropped the 1.0 release - time to play!

Oh poo poo it didn't update, nice!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431950/Age_of_Fear_4_The_Iron_Killer/

quote:

Play as Angela, a fearless young Vampire Hunter on the trail of a brutal murderer. Along with the mysterious Nazell, embark on an epic quest into the heart of the criminal underworld. Age of Fear is a complex turn-based strategy series (full of jokes) that fuses a tabletop wargame with RPG elements.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1442820/RType_Final_2/

quote:

R-Type has returned! The legendary side-scroller is back and better than ever with beautifully rendered 3D graphics, exhilarating shoot-'em-up gameplay, and a multitude of stages, ships, and weapons that will allow you to conduct a symphony of destruction upon your foes.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1394930/MAMIYA/

quote:

MAMIYA is a captivating, dark visual novel in which a group of young men struggle against existential dread before the end of the world.

quote:

Developed by Kenkou Land (Lemures Blue’s 2 A.M.), MAMIYA is a visual novel with a somber, melancholic ambiance. Covering hard subjects such as bullying, parental abuse, suicide, and rape, it portrays a bleak world that feels nauseating, cruel, and real.

The FallDown portion of Mamiya‘s story puts you in the shoes of four characters whose painful histories and secrets eventually overtake them, with their downward spirals driven largely by the intervention of a malevolent entity called Mamiya who appears and promises to help while instead leading them to suicide or murder. The first route I tried revolved around gender dysphoria and I couldn’t really relate to any of the character’s struggles. The second route I tried involved a character from the first story getting amnesia and being found by another character, with their relationship being kind of brother-brother but with a degree of closeness that made me wonder if the entire game was going to be a serious journey throughout LGBT trauma (which isn’t a negative by any means, but it’s definitely the type of thing I can’t relate to well enough to critique effectively).

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The deluxe package has interesting math.

I'm guessing it's like this in every currency. So, either the game is cheaper than they meant it to be or the package is hosed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

The deluxe package has interesting math.

I'm guessing it's like this in every currency. So, either the game is cheaper than they meant it to be or the package is hosed.

:iiam:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Oh, it mentions a season pass on closer inspection. They either forgot to add it or it's invisible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://communistsister.itch.io/winter

quote:

WINTER is an interactive fiction about sex, trans insecurity, and a girl with a skull for a face.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Donnerberg posted:

I've had my eye on this for a while and completely forgot to grab it until I checked the thread today. It's really excellent! It helps that it's extremely my poo poo in basically every possible way, but I'm really enjoying this neat little office-sitcom dungeon defense game.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Show is a really great game. The servers are a complete abomination.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Sab Sabbington posted:

I've had my eye on this for a while and completely forgot to grab it until I checked the thread today. It's really excellent! It helps that it's extremely my poo poo in basically every possible way, but I'm really enjoying this neat little office-sitcom dungeon defense game.

I agree with this! It's pretty fun to experiment with different unit combinations on the field and getting a composition that can down champions before they leave the first monster room.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Arrrthritis posted:

I agree with this! It's pretty fun to experiment with different unit combinations on the field and getting a composition that can down champions before they leave the first monster room.

I've been finding my first room is almost always one shot by most heroes, I'm only on the 3rd stage though, so maybe that'll change later in the game.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Are fully upgraded frog damage traps still strong in Legend of Keepers? Thats how I remember playing the EA version

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Loose Ifer posted:

I've been finding my first room is almost always one shot by most heroes, I'm only on the 3rd stage though, so maybe that'll change later in the game.

The first room can do decent damage to the heroes before going down, but you need a big enough roster that you can match elemental resistances to their damage, and a leveled up tank in the most attacked position.

Sjs00 posted:

Are fully upgraded frog damage traps still strong in Legend of Keepers? Thats how I remember playing the EA version

I don't know, but frog traps do fixed damage as opposed to the %life damage from burn or frostbite, so it would be weird if they were better. I'm playing with all the difficulty sliders maxed because XCOM did funny things to my gaming habits though, so the stats might be different. The game holds up well on the hardest mind. I'm only past stage 1 on one master, but there's great variety in what sort of champions you have to beat and what kind of roster you can field. You also get the miniboss room halfway through the run, which I assume is a later stage thing.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 4, 2021

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Loose Ifer posted:

If you get lucky with hero composition vs monster composition you can tank some of their hits pretty well. A lot of it boils down to matching resistances vs where the heroes are going to attack imo.

Donnerberg posted:

I don't know, but frog traps do fixed damage as opposed to the %life damage from burn or frostbite, so it would be weird if they were better. I'm playing with all the difficulty sliders maxed because XCOM did funny things to my gaming habits though, so the stats might be different. The game holds up well on the hardest mind. I'm only past stage 1 on one master, but there's great variety in what sort of champions you have to beat and what kind of roster you can field. You also get the miniboss room halfway through the run, which I assume is a later stage thing.

Poison & Wound are interesting in that the fixed damage they deal scale with how many stacks of poison/wound they have (5 damage for every stack they have, I believe). So if you have a lot of things that poison then the frog statue is great but otherwise you might be better off going with something different.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I am tempted to pick that game back up but I played thru it several times in EA and watched my favorite streamer run thru it too so I am waiting until they really add new content because as of right now I probably know all the best synergies already

E the game is amazing, is what im saying. The new serpentine looking dungeon keeper looks awesome too

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Arrrthritis posted:

If you get lucky with hero composition vs monster composition you can tank some of their hits pretty well. A lot of it boils down to matching resistances vs where the heroes are going to attack imo.

I'm pretty dumb and haven't even been looking at the resistances, that should help a lot.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385100/Insurmountable/

quote:

Confront various terrains as a lonely mountaineer and endure the countless dangers of climbing! Many tough decisions await you in a risky environment. Make your way up and down the mountain, overcoming insurmountable heights!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373260/Obsidian_Prince/

quote:

Fight through dungeons in a tactical, turn-based roguelike where choices have real consequences. Recruit diverse heroes and steer them to their death... *ahem*... glory. Explore and rebuild the overworld to boost your heroes and discover hidden quests and new dungeons to master.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ohhh, I want Obsidian Prince! Thanks, I missed that one entirely!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1090760/Distant_Kingdoms/

Early access

quote:

A unique blend of City Building, Social Management, Exploration and Adventure gameplay, Distant Kingdoms brings a rich fantasy world to life. Help the Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Orcs of Talam, begin anew in the fabled land of Ineron.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1624570/Midnight_Calling_Jeronimo_Collectors_Edition/

quote:

Your sister's dying, and her only hope is a magical potion. What's the problem? The only person who has the ingredients is the vicious forest witch! Your thieving days are behind you, but drastic times call for drastic measures. Can you save your sister before it's too late? Find out in this spine-tingling hidden object puzzle adventure!

This is a special Collector’s Edition release full of exclusive extras you won’t find in the standard version. The Collector’s Edition includes:

• Learn more about Valeria's past in the bonus game!
• Find hidden coins, cards, and morphing objects
• Replay your favorite HOPs and puzzles from the game
• Enjoy concept art, music, and more!
• Use the helpful Strategy Guide

This is a Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game, meaning a specific genre of story-driven, point & click adventures. Throughout the game, players are tasked to find a list of objects hidden within a particular scene, and to occasionally complete various mini-games/puzzles.

God I love HOGs - or HOPAs as they're now called.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1196590/Resident_Evil_Village/

quote:

Experience survival horror like never before in the eighth major installment in the storied Resident Evil franchise - Resident Evil Village.

Set a few years after the horrifying events in the critically acclaimed Resident Evil 7 biohazard, the all-new storyline begins with Ethan Winters and his wife Mia living peacefully in a new location, free from their past nightmares. Just as they are building their new life together, tragedy befalls them once again.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/937310/Infinitode_2__Infinite_Tower_Defense/

quote:

Infinitode 2 - a strategy in the Tower Defense genre, in which the player will have to build towers to protect his base from endless waves of enemies. The game features huge maps, lots of towers, resource miners, upgrade tree and map editor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/593640/Papetura/

quote:

Papetura is an atmospheric point & click adventure game, handcrafted entirely out of paper. Little creatures Pape and Tura will face monsters that will try to burn down their beloved paper world.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1566410/Touhou_Kouryudou__Unconnected_Marketeers/

quote:

The 18th Game of Touhou Series is a hard game for beginners. Every stage is testing skills of controlling, path seeking and danmuku remembering from the 2nd stage to the end.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

This was super fun to play! I'm not sure we're trying to kill the dragon in this game though... She's clearly interested in getting the deepest sword in there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am digging Unbeatable [white label] so much. Free on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290490/UNBEATABLE_white_label/

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had been following this game for a while but h/t to Stux for pointing out that Unbeatable [white label] actually came out today and they finished their Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxjBkJLVNk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqDu16Rfe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw19P-7C5s&t=579s

I love everything about this game's visual and musical style. I thought that the demo thing they were releasing in conjunction with their kickstarter was just going to be like one track but it's surprisingly robust, with a dozen tracks with all difficulty options... I guess because the project is going to end up much bigger? I'm worried about Kickstarter scope creep loving things up (especially with that online multiplayer stretch goal) but what's here is already a lot of fun

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351500/SimPocalypse/

quote:

A civilization simulator where you manage billions of people and rebuild millions of structures. Improve your economy, research, advance, battle, and much more! Play at your own pace by controlling game speed and automate various tasks!

quote:

This is a big moment for our small development team, as we've been working hard to now bring you the 1.0 version of the game – just launched out of Early Access with a 20% Launch Week Discount
to Celebrate this huge Milestone!

e: Ah it's an idle/clicker game. drat.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 11, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/600610/The_Hand_of_Merlin/

Early access

quote:

The Hand of Merlin is a turn-based rogue-lite RPG in which Arthurian legend meets with sci-fi horror. Recruit mortal heroes to explore lands rife with otherworldly evil, make narrative bending choices in unique interactive encounters, and search for the lost fragments of your soul across the multiverse!

quote:

Enjoy a compelling story inspired by Arthurian legend, the Matter of France, and the history of Al-Andalus - with an unusual twist. Make choices in interactive encounters that change every time you play. Written by Jonas Kyratzes (The Talos Principle, Serious Sam 4) and Verena Kyratzes (The Lands of Dream, Serious Sam 4).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347970/Patch_Quest/

Early access

quote:

The ONLY Roguelike-Metroidvania fusion where you can mount and ride EVERY monster in the game! Get ready to Leap, Glide, Tunnel, Bite, Slither, Websling and Explode your way through a shuffling patchwork maze. Survival depends on bending the forces of nature to your own ends!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1572970/Liberation_Mutagenix/

It's Lemmings!

quote:

Guide your comrades to freedom in this gravity-bending sci-fi puzzle game. Modify their genetic code, direct their movements, and provide them with the tools they need to escape.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574910/The_Bart_Bonte_collection/

quote:

Flash is dead, long live the Bart Bonte collection! A collection of 28 Flash games carefully packaged and remastered for you, all accessible from a selection menu with loads of achievements. All the classics you know from the browser, including the Sugar, Sugar and the Factory Balls series.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1542810/Sunshine_Heavy_Industries/

quote:

Welcome to Sunshine Heavy Industries! As the new spaceship engineer, solve increasingly tricky design puzzles with your own personal style. Manage customer demands, juggle budget and ship performance, and survive the extremely poor decision making skills of your business partner.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Roguelike hacking game Decker has been ported to the browser.

It's not exactly fresh but listen, it's interesting and finally available to a general audience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/598550/HUNTDOWN/

quote:

In the mayhem-filled streets of the future where criminal gangs rule and cops fear to tread, only the bounty hunters can free the city from the corrupt fist of felony. Lay waste to the criminal underworld and make a killing in this hard boiled action comedy arcade shooter.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just want to say thanks and keep em coming Strix!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sjs00 posted:

Just want to say thanks and keep em coming Strix!

:patriot:

(also it helps that I stopped doing this for a bit thanks to vaccine recovery, as now there's a whole crop of titles I missed!)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127970/Retro_Machina/

quote:

Retro Machina is a single-player action and exploration game set in a retro-futuristic universe. Experience the journey of a little robot as they solve intricate puzzles and begin unraveling the mysteries of a world long forgotten.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/442210/Switchcars/

quote:

Escape alien beasts across varying environments and eras, in more than 1300 unique vehicles! Add your own vehicles and props with the included editor.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272070/Silicon_Dreams____cyberpunk_interrogation/

quote:

It’s 2065, and you are an interrogator-model android tasked with rooting out deviants among your own kind. You must probe for lies, monitor and exploit emotional spikes, earn the trust of your subjects, and make the final call: release, or destroy?

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

I'm really interested in this one b/c of Jonas Kyratzes, who is legit one of the best writers working in video games today, but the demo from back during the summer festival or whatever featured a ton of not-especially-interesting xcom-like gameplay, and I'm not sure I'm willing to suffer through that to get to the good story bits.

(but apparently the story bits are wild, drawing on, like, deep Arthurian lore crossed with actual world history crossed with whatever the weird sci-fi premise is, according to JK's twitter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Occultatio posted:

I'm really interested in this one b/c of Jonas Kyratzes, who is legit one of the best writers working in video games today, but the demo from back during the summer festival or whatever featured a ton of not-especially-interesting xcom-like gameplay, and I'm not sure I'm willing to suffer through that to get to the good story bits.

(but apparently the story bits are wild, drawing on, like, deep Arthurian lore crossed with actual world history crossed with whatever the weird sci-fi premise is, according to JK's twitter)

This post spurred me to look at his website and saw this:

quote:

The Hand of Merlin, which Verena and I are writing for Room C Games and Croteam, is reaching the end of its development. In terms of the writing, it’s absurdly ambitious, containing over 200.000 words. And it’s a sci-fi/horror/fantasy adaptation of the Matter of Britain and the Matter of France, which not exactly a lot of people have done before

And as a die-hard fan of XCOM-likes, this is catnip to me. I don't care if the XCOM is boring I need this in my veins.

e: Yooo he also wrote an audio drama starring a dude from Highlander: https://gospelsoftheflood.podbean.com/

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 13, 2021