Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've seen some GIFs from the movie Mama, and while it seems intriguing, it also seems designed to rob me of my sleep for a week or two.

Mama is a lot funnier if you watch the original short it was built on before watching the feature film. The feature film contains a recreation of the short, but because the story of the feature film is completely different the inclusion of that scene makes no sense. It's a complete non-sequitur that clashes with the rest of the narrative entirely.

The short itself is pretty good, though. I recommend watching that instead of the film proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Mama because I connect with the del Toro-esque fairy tale attempt and Jessica Chastain's performance as she becomes a mama. The film definitely does and shows too much especially in the final act but it works for me.

And yeah, the short's fun. And real short. And on Youtube. Worth a watch.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mama is pretty dumb but the PG-13 rating endears me to it; i can imagine it very effectively spooking a lot of kids.

mr muschietti is a man of very few horror ideas though. oooh distorted face oooh monster charging at the camera, repeat ad nauseum throughout Mama, It and It 2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It works for me, but yeah, its diminishing returns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Way better than It 2

He's directing a remake of The Howling for Netflix supposedly after The Flash

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Shudder added In Search of Darkness 2. Same deal as the first one, 4 hours of talking about 80's horror, but they go into more obscure movies than the last one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The first one was good for having on while I worked and looking up every 20-30 minutes to go “oh, huh”.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

feedmyleg posted:

Alien 3 is more my jam than Aliens because I prefer horror movies to action movies.

Aliens is way more of a horror movie than Alien 3 though?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

The first one was good for having on while I worked and looking up every 20-30 minutes to go “oh, huh”.

I watch it as I fall asleep, which usually takes like 30 minutes so it's primo material for at least a week.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Aliens is way more of a horror movie than Alien 3 though?

i dunno how to quantify something into 'more' or 'less' horror but to me, Alien 3 feels like a straight gothic-horror monster movie that happens to be set in the alien universe. i always thought of Aliens as an action movie installment of a horror franchise.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Alien 3 is one of those early 90's "cop poses as a prisoner/got framed for murder" movies. Except Tango is dead from the start and Cash also dies at the end.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

alf_pogs posted:

i dunno how to quantify something into 'more' or 'less' horror but to me, Alien 3 feels like a straight gothic-horror monster movie that happens to be set in the alien universe. i always thought of Aliens as an action movie installment of a horror franchise.

I don't have a specific metric for horror myself beyond "scary" either. Aliens is "Alien plus action scenes" so in that respect strikes me as much more ostensibly horror than Alien 3 which is more like a drama or one of those darker westerns or something.

Though now that you mention it you're definitely right that Alien 3 fits in that kind of classical gothic horror mold in that "Interview With the Vampire" way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Scream 2 is better than Scream, 4 is not quite as good but pretty close. 3 is not good at all.

Scream 2 is absolutely not better than Scream. They do enough twists to make the story a genuine continuation instead of just feeling like a retread (which is 3 and 4's big problem) and it has a few interesting setpieces but ultimately it's just a slasher movie with meta commentary about sequels thrown in. It doesn't completely shatter and reshape the entire genre the way the first movie does, and it doesn't have nearly as strong a script. The character arcs are weaker too. It's a fine enough sequel to a movie that, at a glance, seemed impossible to make a sequel to, but it's a big step down.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I wonder what they are going to do with Scream 5 (it's called "Scream" but come on, we are all going to be calling it Scream 5). I'm thinking it's going to be about passing the torch onto the new generation which they lightly did in 4, but will go all out in 5.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
No, I'm going to call it 5cream

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I had this epiphany a few days ago that they must be doing a stealth "Wes Craven's New Scream," but the more I see of the production (mostly the on-set pics that show pretty clearly it takes place in Woodsboro) the less likely that appears.

Stink Billyums posted:

No, I'm going to call it 5cream

https://twitter.com/JackQuaid92/status/1329605243869413376

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Imagine being Sidney Prescott and having to deal with an endless stream of Ghostfaces chasing you throughout your teen years and into adulthood. You kill one and two more show up. They're worse than ants.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I want the drat magic voice changing box. Somehow it can just perfectly replicate Sidney's mom's voice in spite of her being dead for years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Aliens is "Alien plus action scenes"

For the first half hour it is. After that it's Hollywood macho action with none of the grounding in reality which made Alien really work. They tried for it with the breakfast scene on the Sulaco, but then Bishop does the knife trick and the cool macho quipping starts.

Aliens is just Predator with 100 xenomorphs instead of one alien hunter.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Libra posted:

Imagine being Sidney Prescott and having to deal with an endless stream of Ghostfaces chasing you throughout your teen years and into adulthood. You kill one and two more show up. They're worse than ants.

At some point you'd think she'd be packing heat 24/7 after moving to a Castle Doctrine state.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jedit posted:

For the first half hour it is. After that it's Hollywood macho action with none of the grounding in reality which made Alien really work. They tried for it with the breakfast scene on the Sulaco, but then Bishop does the knife trick and the cool macho quipping starts.
Then they get eaten

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

Aliens is a genre bait and switch. It makes you think it's a straight up action movie, but the the action heroes are wrecked and we end up with a situation not too different than the first film, just with bigger scale.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

Aliens is a genre bait and switch. It makes you think it's a straight up action movie, but the the action heroes are wrecked and we end up with a situation not too different than the first film, just with bigger scale.

And without characters who are relatable in their out of depthness. We like Hudson and Vasquez, but they're soldiers and even if things have gone to poo poo, this is literally their job. The crew of the Nostromo didn't ask for what happened to them, or expect it. The marines did ask for it, and if they didn't expect it it's only because they were complacent.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Aliens leans into the power fantasy function that defines action films in a way that Alien and Alien 3 do not which is what, to me, makes it an action-horror. The story is built around someone who opens the film terrified by her experiences growing to a place where she actively picks a fight with a house sized version of the monster that traumatised her. The sequence where she takes over the car thing, and where she rescues Newt and of course "get away from her you bitch" are all meant to be rousing fist-pump moments which offsets the horror elements. It's hard for the audience to be scared in the face of that kind of badassery, which isn't a criticism, it is by design and it is totally dope but it is far removed from how Alien deals with similar scenes. In Alien, even as she blasts it out the airlock the build up to that moment is intense and frightening (singing that lullaby to calm herself) as opposed to rousing, a similar thing is the case in Alien 3 where the relay run with the Alien is all about highlighting the vulnerability of the prisoners as opposed to giving the audience that vicarious sense of power.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheKingslayer posted:

I want the drat magic voice changing box. Somehow it can just perfectly replicate Sidney's mom's voice in spite of her being dead for years.

I like that it looks like a legit electronic device in the first one, and something out of Batman & Robin by the third.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never really thought about it, but I suppose my definition of action-horror is when a horror movie has action scenes that are enjoyable as pure spectacle. I think the last one I saw was Green Room.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rewatched Fulci's Zombie on UHD. Good lord what a nice looking transfer.

Also Zombie is better than Dawn of the Dead.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It definitely has some of the coolest looking zombies ever even if it's mostly random winos with clay smeared on them

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Who knew "hopeless winos" make such good zombies?

And I'd love to hear more about Fulci being a sleazy bum. What book is that?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's more like I've never heard anything to the contrary. Paying poor Filipinos a pittance to jump off of buildings in Zombi 3 wasn't Bruno Mattei's idea.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 27, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spatulater bro! posted:

Rewatched Fulci's Zombie on UHD. Good lord what a nice looking transfer.

just hot takes all the time now.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Who knew "hopeless winos" make such good zombies?

And I'd love to hear more about Fulci being a sleazy bum. What book is that?

Book of the Dead by Jamie Russell

Very solid and a fun read

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

He's right you know

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Book of the Dead by Jamie Russell

Very solid and a fun read

lol oh gently caress I have that book. I guess I should finish reading it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

just hot takes all the time now.

For years I was in denial about it. But in the last week I rewatched Dotd twice (the theatrical and the Argento cut), followed by Zombie last night. And now I'm going to stop lying to myself. DotD just doesn't do it for me the way Zombie does. The social commentary of Dawn is WAY less interesting than everyone makes it out to be. And the zombies look like absolute poo poo. Zombie does away with any pretense of being more than a gory, schlocky good time. And the zombies and gore are just insane. Also there's the shark scene. And the eyeball scene. And the topless scuba scene. And the loving incredible music. I just love it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

eh, tbh, Zombie makes me fall asleep sometimes and that whole third act just sucks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought it was like 30 minutes of a good special effects real kind of lazily and poorly stretched out into a feature film.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

For years I was in denial about it. But in the last week I rewatched Dotd twice (the theatrical and the Argento cut), followed by Zombie last night. And now I'm going to stop lying to myself. DotD just doesn't do it for me the way Zombie does. The social commentary of Dawn is WAY less interesting than everyone makes it out to be. And the zombies look like absolute poo poo. Zombie does away with any pretense of being more than a gory, schlocky good time. And the zombies and gore are just insane. Also there's the shark scene. And the eyeball scene. And the topless scuba scene. And the loving incredible music. I just love it.

All these scenes are great but I wish Zombie was just a glory, schlocky good time. A big chunk of it is spent with a bunch of useless super boring humans. Not that the human characters in Dawn are much better but a lot of Zombie is a snooze-fest.

And I prefer the oatmeal faced Fulci zombies but they look just as cheap as the Dawn zombies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dusty Zombies > Wet Zombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

Dusty Zombies > Wet Zombies

>>>>>>>>> normal looking people with slightly blue tinted faces

The DotD zombies don't just look cheap, they look lazy.