Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

They gave a Hugo Award for an acceptance speech of a Hugo Award. That's pretty much all I'll ever need to know about what a Hugo Award is.

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
All I care about is that GRRM really cares about it so it’s funny to me.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

And at some point they were floating the idea to give an award to the acceptance speech for that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I don't think the Hugos or the Nebulas are a big deal, even though I volunteered at the ceremony last year and am doing so again this year, but the huge for best novel is probably at least somewhat meaningful. The Oscars give Oscars for like best sound editing and best short film and stuff like that too, all anybody usually cares about is best picture and best actor/actress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

They gave a Hugo Award for an acceptance speech of a Hugo Award. That's pretty much all I'll ever need to know about what a Hugo Award is.

The nomination process also got lifehacked by a bunch of miserable white supremacists who were mad that they weren't getting any Hugos and it took the people in charge of the awards literally years to figure out what was happening and try to stop it. It culminated in the group nominating a bunch of Chuck Tingle books for Hugos to try and mock the integrity of the awards, and though he lost, he responded with a statement that was basically "gently caress the hateful assholes who nominated me, trans rights are human rights, we need more diversity and inclusivity in science fiction not less, also I'm going to write a fuckton of books mocking the poo poo out of you idiots and I now get to publish them under the moniker Hugo Award Nominated Author."

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 25, 2021

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

nine-gear crow posted:

The nomination process also got lifehacked by a bunch of miserable white supremacists who were mad that they weren't getting any Hugos and it took the people in charge of the awards literally years to figure out what was happening and try to stop it. It culminated in the group nominating a bunch of Chuck Tingle books for Hugos to try and mock the integrity of the awards, and though he lost, he responded with a statement that was basically "gently caress the hateful assholes who nominated me, trans rights are human rights, we need more diversity and inclusivity in science fiction not less, also I'm going to write a fuckton of books mocking the poo poo out of you idiots and I now get to publish them under the moniker Hugo Award Nominated Author."

What have they done to stop the sad pathetic humans?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think the Hugos or the Nebulas are a big deal, even though I volunteered at the ceremony last year and am doing so again this year, but the huge for best novel is probably at least somewhat meaningful. The Oscars give Oscars for like best sound editing and best short film and stuff like that too, all anybody usually cares about is best picture and best actor/actress.

If it wasn’t for the academy’s best short film category, we wouldn’t have John Carpenter.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Look, all I'm saying is that asking this guy to zoom host your small time award show and then a year later nominate a low-effort blog post calling out how lovely and low effort the hosting last year was mostly because that guy sucks at hosting and pronouncing names is kinda cunty, even if the blog post is 100% on point. If you felt gurm's hosting in your show was that bad just don't invite him to host next time! there are other ways to acknowledge that gurm's hosting was low effort and even insensitive in a way that isn't this weird passive aggressive callout that kind of serves to belittle the other nominees in the category, or w/e. That's just what I'm saying.

So would you go so far as to state that gurm is not your bitch?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Going back to the Orson Scott Card thing from last page, I just saw this and it’s very true. I think a lot of authors write characters that they think should run the world but are being manipulated by society to not use their gifts in the right way.

https://mobile.twitter.com/americanwombat/status/1386838938069864449

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll always be amused by how edgy the Dante's Inferno game is as depicted by the fact that the red fabric cross on Dante's torso is sewn directly onto Dante's massive Rob Leifeld chest muscles. :emo:

There was a genuinely gross promotion put forth by EA's marketing division at the time (which was infamously terrible on the level of PS2-era Acclaim) wherein besides doing nonsense like holding fake protests, they held a contest during E3 called the "sin to win" promotion:

https://geekfeminism.wikia.org/wiki...0or%20Facebook.

BananaNutkins posted:

Brandon is cool but he has a total disregard for prose. I like the story being told for the most part, and the fantasy world and magic stuff is consistently engaging. His characters in Stormlight are mostly stock PoV, and when he tries something different (Shallan, Venli) they can be annoying. But I can't imagine being an audiobook narrator being confronted with something like this passage: (spoilers for Rhythm of War)Kaladin hesitated, spear held toward Moash’s throat. He could end the man. Should end the man. Why did he hesitate?
Moash … had been his friend. They’d spent hours by the fire, talking about their lives. Kaladin had opened his heart to this man, in ways he hadn’t to most of the others. He’d told Moash, like Teft and Rock, of Tien. Of Roshone. Of his fears.
Moash wasn’t just a friend though. He was beyond that a member of Bridge Four. Kaladin had sworn to the storms and the heavens above—if anyone was there watching—that he’d protect those men.
Kaladin had failed Moash. As soundly as he’d failed Dunny, Mart, and Jaks. And of them all, losing Moash hurt the most. Because in those callous eyes, Kaladin saw himself.

Also, every chapter begins identically. Open any chapter of any Sanderson book and 80% of the time the format of the first sentence is "PoV character strode/walked/ran toward/away from something." The other 20% of the time it's "PoV character verbed something, thinking about something.

In text form I can skim, but it's unlistenable in audio. This isnt even Goodkind-level prose.

The repetition is a problem that pops' up like you said. It also shows up in other forms like in duels where it straight up looks like he just copy-pastes sentences from one duel scene to another. "First, he lashed his left foot to the ceiling. Then he lashed his right foot to the table with a half-lashing upwards. He dropped out of wind stance to grab the sword with both hands. With a heavy forward lashing, he cut through the stone. Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a figure and immediately lashed upwards." That was kind of nonsense, but how many duel scenes does it remind you of?

My impression of Brandon is that he's a golden goose and that his publisher would not endorse that he do any unwarranted large-scale rewrites. I do get the feeling that he takes in criticism, and always tries to apply it for his next book. I'm new to his work, but there seems to be an solid, incremental improvement in his stories as time goes on. I'm currently on Rhythm of War in the Stormlight Chronicles and while it seems like it's spinning its wheels, the prose reads so much better than the previous entries in the series.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ccs posted:

Going back to the Orson Scott Card thing from last page, I just saw this and it’s very true. I think a lot of authors write characters that they think should run the world but are being manipulated by society to not use their gifts in the right way.

https://mobile.twitter.com/americanwombat/status/1386838938069864449
Even as a snot-nosed teenager who thought he was better than everyone around him, reading Frank Miller unironically and head-over-heels for The Matrix, I remember reading Ender's Game and thinking "This is the most masturbatory poo poo I've ever seen." It was quite literally the work that got me to pull back and re-examine all of the puerile "chosen one" narratives that are fed to US kids by the armful.

I have never seen a convincing argument to the contrary. It's always some variant on "Read the next five books the masturbation themes totally wash out" which is a horseshit argument. If you need hundreds of pages of sequels to make a stand-alone book's themes not poo poo, then the book you're referring to is poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I was such a dumb teenager that after I finished the Ender books I continued to the Bean books and I guess was really a massive idiot cause that didn't stop me and I read the entire call of earth saga when I knew absolutely nothing about Mormons and their faith.

That's how dumb I am. Thanks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cavelcade posted:

What's happening with them this year?

They're getting pushed back, as Worldcon's delayed until December due to their hotel going out of business.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I have never seen a convincing argument to the contrary. It's always some variant on "Read the next five books the masturbation themes totally wash out" which is a horseshit argument. If you need hundreds of pages of sequels to make a stand-alone book's themes not poo poo, then the book you're referring to is poo poo.

I'm sorry who is claiming this about the Ender books? Each successive sequel and prequel incrementally loses sight of more and more of the stuff that makes Ender's Game work for the people who like Ender's Game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm sorry who is claiming this about the Ender books? Each successive sequel and prequel incrementally loses sight of more and more of the stuff that makes Ender's Game work for the people who like Ender's Game
Let me pull out all my yearbooks from middle school through college and use the wayback machine to find posts from 2004, just for you.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I know it's "xkcd posting" but I read Ender's Game around 2006 and just thought "lol nobody's going to give a poo poo about two kids' blogs no matter how much of a smart guy the author thinks he is."

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The only book of that series I've read was "Xenocide", and it was all about Ender's self-flagellation about how wrong it was to xenocide the bug aliens. Including conversations with the new bug queen he saved and brought to a hidden planet, to grow a new civilization in peace.

It's basically a 180° from everything else I've heard about the series and I think I dodged a bullet by kramering in near the end of the series, instead of starting at book 1

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The only one of those books I read was Ender's Shadow and I can't remember anything about it. My context for what I was reading was also completely off because I hadn't read the first book.

In my highschool there were a number of superfans of Ender's Game, and they all without fail came from the charter school that fed into the public highschool. It makes sense, those kids were doing calculus in 8th grade and were then pushed into a school where calculus was a senior course. They absolutely felt they were better than everybody. The scariest was a guy who was very friendly but incredibly pro-death penalty, and is now pretty high up in the NY criminal justice system...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

The only book of that series I've read was "Xenocide", and it was all about Ender's self-flagellation about how wrong it was to xenocide the bug aliens. Including conversations with the new bug queen he saved and brought to a hidden planet, to grow a new civilization in peace.

It's basically a 180° from everything else I've heard about the series and I think I dodged a bullet by kramering in near the end of the series, instead of starting at book 1

did you gaslight the series overton window too?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plan Z posted:

I know it's "xkcd posting" but I read Ender's Game around 2006 and just thought "lol nobody's going to give a poo poo about two kids' blogs no matter how much of a smart guy the author thinks he is."

OTOH all of Twitter.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
In Ender's Game the point of the story is, "Sometimes you actually need a Hitler to do the dirty work for you." It's still the only entertaining book in the series because of space soccer. Speaker for the Dead is about Card's Mormon missionary trip to Brazil, and Xenocide is Ender being new new Jesus and learning how to do miracles after moping around being an old man who regrets his life for 300 pages.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM losing a Hugo to Harry Potter still makes him angry 20 years later so lmao he can go to hell.

A reasonable reaction given that Harry Potter is loving garbage and that was apparent even before noticing how utterly hosed up the setting with things like casually being ok with enslaving other sentient races because it's better for them or that the wizard world is at best a combination of Illuminati and white wizard supremacy. Or the banking goblins(?) who totally aren't derogatory Jewish sterotypes please ignore the large hooked noses and other things that are total coincidences.

And Rowling's a TERF, because she wasn't content just being yet another FYGM hypocrite on top of putting all her other hosed up thoughts in to the HP books.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyChecker posted:

did you gaslight the series overton window too?

you'll have to translate your question from moron to human and try again, sorry

BananaNutkins posted:

In Ender's Game the point of the story is, "Sometimes you actually need a Hitler to do the dirty work for you." It's still the only entertaining book in the series because of space soccer. Speaker for the Dead is about Card's Mormon missionary trip to Brazil, and Xenocide is Ender being new new Jesus and learning how to do miracles after moping around being an old man who regrets his life for 300 pages.

That's an apt description, and I really regret having ever learned about Card's dumb books. Though the bug aliens were cool, I'll give him that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BananaNutkins posted:

In Ender's Game the point of the story is, "Sometimes you actually need a Hitler to do the dirty work for you." It's still the only entertaining book in the series because of space soccer.
Ender’s Game is a lot of things, many of them dumb, but it is 100% not this. The whole point of the reveal of the ending is that there was no, and never would be any, Third Formic War: that if humanity had never built any retaliatory fleet or trained up an Ender and just stayed the gently caress home the only result is that billions of dead aliens would be alive and trillions of dollars and man-hours would have been saved and a whole bunch of kids wouldn’t have gotten PTSD.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I read and enjoyed the main Ender series years ago. I remember hearing about Card's weird Mormonism and homophobia soon after but didn't notice any of that in the series. Ender pretty much makes up his own religion. Was there hateful homophobic or right wing subtext that went over my head?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

the wizard world is at best a combination of Illuminati and white wizard supremacy.

Well, the bad parts of the wizarding world are like that, in that they want to rule humanity. The parts that we see in the series are more like a bunch of magic libertarians who have decided to uphold a nonagression pact with the muggles while living in their hidden Galt's Gulch and enjoying a bunch of benefits that everyone else will never get to experience.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I was such a dumb teenager that after I finished the Ender books I continued to the Bean books and I guess was really a massive idiot cause that didn't stop me and I read the entire call of earth saga when I knew absolutely nothing about Mormons and their faith.

That's how dumb I am. Thanks.
Same but also the tales of Joseph Smith Alvin Maker. I believe you will find that it is I who am dumb :smug:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Normy posted:

I read and enjoyed the main Ender series years ago. I remember hearing about Card's weird Mormonism and homophobia soon after but didn't notice any of that in the series. Ender pretty much makes up his own religion. Was there hateful homophobic or right wing subtext that went over my head?

If you look at the real world communities and their beliefs that Card draws on for his fake religion, you quickly realize that, oh, these are quite conservative reference points. Most of the Bean prequel novels are didactic knock off Tom Clancy things.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Card's been dragging his feet on writing the last Alvin Maker book for like 2 decades. I actually thought it was kinda cool seeing a super religious guys essentially writing a book of Mormoin fan fic, but the books really started sucking after Red Son, like they were ghost written. I'd still read the Crystal City if it ever came out.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ender’s Game is a lot of things, many of them dumb, but it is 100% not this. The whole point of the reveal of the ending is that there was no, and never would be any, Third Formic War: that if humanity had never built any retaliatory fleet or trained up an Ender and just stayed the gently caress home the only result is that billions of dead aliens would be alive and trillions of dollars and man-hours would have been saved and a whole bunch of kids wouldn’t have gotten PTSD.

It's kind of weird there are so many "coincidental" congruences between Hitler's bio and Ender's then.

Or maybe it's more that the message of the book is "Hitler was just doing his best", since that view is in alignment with Mormon doctrine, and coincidentally Card is a Mormon.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
How about instead we talk about how the Ice and Fire wiki lets you upload any pictures you want for any character. These are both Taena Merryweather:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The best one remains the Night Queen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The best one remains the Night Queen.

Is it still that dude's bare rear end on a block of ice?

e: I misremembered it, it's her bare icy rear end.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 28, 2021

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Not a fan of this person's portraits. They've got portraits for hundreds of characters. Some are alright, most aren't.

Then again, I say this as someone with no artistic talent whatsoever.

EDIT:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’d watch this version in a heartbeat.

Cersei! Jaime! Team Lannister, banging at the speed of light! Tyrion the halfman, that’s right!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vichan posted:

Not a fan of this person's portraits. They've got portraits for hundreds of characters. Some are alright, most aren't.

Then again, I say this as someone with no artistic talent whatsoever.

EDIT:

A Song of Fire Spin and Ice Beam.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No Pants posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of something that stands out as advanced or modern.

The Dornish make candy skulls, but they only come up in a TWOW chapter

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yesterday was the 10 year anniversary of GRRM announcing that ADWD was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yesterday was the 10 year anniversary of GRRM announcing that ADWD was done.

I only started reading ASOIAF in 2012, and this made me feel super loving old. I feel sorry for everyone who has been waiting even longer than me.