Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

rydiafan posted:

It absolutely is not.

It's actually pretty drat good. Nobody gave it a chance because Robocop is a precious sacred cow to most neckbeards who don't realize that they have been doing movie remakes for nearly a century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

If it wasn’t named Robocop no one would have watched it but the few who did would have liked it better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Samuel L Jackson deserves an award for his portrayal of a fox news propagandist in that movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIk94MJS_Sc

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Apr 27, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

the_steve posted:

Here's one that I literally just watched: The old Simpsons episode "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday"

Towards the end of the episode, Homer and the other guys from Springfield are in the locker room of the winning Super Bowl team, and then-President Bill Clinton calls to congratulate the team.

After he hangs up, Bill looks behind him to address Al Gore who is measuring the curtains, and Bill asks if he really has to do that right at that moment.

I think that was more impeachment related than election related, if that's what you're getting at.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CPColin posted:

I think that was more impeachment related than election related, if that's what you're getting at.

Hm, poo poo, yeah, that probably tracks. I just automatically thought "election" and ran with it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CPColin posted:

I always assumed that was supposed to mean Gore was doing everything he could to copy Clinton/get elected.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

Hm, poo poo, yeah, that probably tracks. I just automatically thought "election" and ran with it

I mean, the only reason I know presidential candidates who didn't win in the nineties was because of the Simpsons, and Al Gore was one of them, so it's a completely fair mistake to make.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I always assumed that was supposed to mean Gore was doing everything he could to copy Clinton/get elected.

I'm not sure about copying Clinton. Measuring the curtains is what you typically do when you're buying a house.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Something I can recall from the 80s and 90s in Australia was this anti-American sentiment from boomers when it came to cartoons, music, movies, etc. I guess it was a conservative point of view as they had grown up with more of an attachment to English culture. Where I lived there was only the ABC on television until the late 70s. I don't know if there was anything in 'The Media' about it, but it was a common experience for someone's Dad to walk past the living room and decry any American music or television that was playing at the moment. People would get upset about cheap toy fire engines having 911 on them and would make their stickers and send photos into the pulpy weekly magazines.

It's kind of funny that these Boomers are now on Facebook as part of an American Republican party cargo cult sharing 'God sent TRUMP to defend western culture' and 'he sleeps soundly next to a supermodel' memes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FightingMongoose posted:

I'm not sure about copying Clinton. Measuring the curtains is what you typically do when you're buying a house.

This. He is going to get new curtains.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's actually pretty drat good. Nobody gave it a chance because Robocop is a precious sacred cow to most neckbeards who don't realize that they have been doing movie remakes for nearly a century.

The Robocop remake had one job: match the satire of the original. That's the one thing so many people don't get, what made Robocop great wasn't the action or the plot, it was the biting satire of 80s capitalism. The Robocop remake utterly neutered the satirical aspect. It had one job and it failed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not even satire really; people forget that the first Robocop is insanely nihilistic and sarcastic the entire way through. When the movie starts OCP is planning on loving up Detroit and militarizing the police, and by the end of the movie none of that has changed. Robocop isn't even aware of it. But because we're so conditioned to a hero's journey and we see the end of the movie as Robocop finding peace with himself, you don't even notice until you take a moment to reflect.

Now maybe that was just a happy accident, but either way it's tantamount to genius, basically laying out how the next 25 years between Robocop and the remake would go-- poo poo keeps getting worse, but who cares if your personal journey is superficially fulfilled. It's bleak as poo poo and understated.

The remake had nothing of the sort. Everything was overt and straight-faced, with "lol Fox News" substituting for actual commentary.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

so here's a question for some older goons or goons that were just more familiar with the media landscape in the 90s. growing up, i heard about 'political correctness' all the time, but didn't know what it meant until high school and by then the 90s were over. and yet, the 90s were full of shows that had lots of progressive themes and morals, like environmentalism with captain planet, and widget the world watcher, racism/homophobia with x-men and gargoyles, gun control with batman and gun control, and so on. i mean, this sort of thing was super prominent back then, as it is to this day. i was watching some shows that had at least one episode where they would cover one of these subjects. i mean, these things were so ubiquitous that they didn't even seem noteworthy.

so my question is, did the media complain a lot every time one of these types of shows did something like that?

An example from back then that comes to my mind is Dan Quayle saying that the sitcom Murphy Brown was insulting family values and fathers by having its lead character be a single mother.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

mind the walrus posted:

Not even satire really; people forget that the first Robocop is insanely nihilistic and sarcastic the entire way through. When the movie starts OCP is planning on loving up Detroit and militarizing the police, and by the end of the movie none of that has changed. Robocop isn't even aware of it. But because we're so conditioned to a hero's journey and we see the end of the movie as Robocop finding peace with himself, you don't even notice until you take a moment to reflect.

Now maybe that was just a happy accident, but either way it's tantamount to genius, basically laying out how the next 25 years between Robocop and the remake would go-- poo poo keeps getting worse, but who cares if your personal journey is superficially fulfilled. It's bleak as poo poo and understated.

The remake had nothing of the sort. Everything was overt and straight-faced, with "lol Fox News" substituting for actual commentary.

Ed Neumeier (screenwriter for the original Robocop) was a guest on Dan Harmon's podcast a couple of years ago and hearing him talk about the writing process for the movie was really interesting. Not hotlinking the podcast, but this is the episode if anyone is interested https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11009492/?ref_=tt_ch (Harmontown ep. 350 "You Have Ten Seconds to Comply").

He says that he wanted to make a movie where the Wall Street sharks where shown as they really were - mobsters with a ledger - as they had never really been depicted that way before. If I remember correctly, he says that the scene were Clarence Boddicker leaves a grenade in Morton's living room with Dick Jones going "I'm cashing you out, Bob" is the spirit of the movie/the first scene he envisioned. In his view, Robocop is as much as an action movie as it is an indictment of 80s capitalism.

You could say that the remake has somehow tried to shift the focus to foreign wars/pundit lies/war economy, but it's definitely not as good/biting as the satire in the original one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Srice posted:

An example from back then that comes to my mind is Dan Quayle saying that the sitcom Murphy Brown was insulting family values and fathers by having its lead character be a single mother.

Also George HW Bush saying that America needed more families like the Waltons and less families like The Simpsons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I prefer the original scripted version of the scene where Kinney is killed. In the movie, the gun dropping is clearly audible but ED-209 malfunctions and doesn't hear it. In the original, ED-209 doesn't hear the gun drop because the carpet in the boardroom is so thick and luxurious that it muffles the sound. I like that for two reasons: first, it shows that even if ED-209 was perfectly built it's always going to be worse than a real cop because it can't adjust to a situation as well; and second, Kinney is killed because of the company's ostentatious display of wealth. It's an attack on the company itself, not the engineer who made a mistake.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pocket Billiards posted:

Something I can recall from the 80s and 90s in Australia was this anti-American sentiment from boomers when it came to cartoons, music, movies, etc. I guess it was a conservative point of view as they had grown up with more of an attachment to English culture. Where I lived there was only the ABC on television until the late 70s. I don't know if there was anything in 'The Media' about it, but it was a common experience for someone's Dad to walk past the living room and decry any American music or television that was playing at the moment. People would get upset about cheap toy fire engines having 911 on them and would make their stickers and send photos into the pulpy weekly magazines.

It's kind of funny that these Boomers are now on Facebook as part of an American Republican party cargo cult sharing 'God sent TRUMP to defend western culture' and 'he sleeps soundly next to a supermodel' memes.

It's something you can see in some non-American media from boomers and gen-x, like 70s British comics disavowing superheroes or Britpop as a reaction to grunge. I'm a little to young to remember it otherwise, but I don't think kicking back against a monoculture is a necessarily bad thing. It even arguably happened within America; I've heard it proposed that the X-Files worked because it was about mapping weird America before the Internet took-off and there was a Starbucks on every corner.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also George HW Bush saying that America needed more families like the Waltons and less families like The Simpsons.

Yeah. Conservatives in the early 90s were really upset about dads being buffoons or outright absent in a few sitcoms haha.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

It's something you can see in some non-American media from boomers and gen-x, like 70s British comics disavowing superheroes or Britpop as a reaction to grunge. I'm a little to young to remember it otherwise, but I don't think kicking back against a monoculture is a necessarily bad thing. It even arguably happened within America; I've heard it proposed that the X-Files worked because it was about mapping weird America before the Internet took-off and there was a Starbucks on every corner.

They talked about X-Files on an episode of Chapo and the guest they had on said something close to those lines. X-Files came out right as The Cold War had ended and there was a brief moment in time where America had no major enemy, so we started looking inward. Then 9/11 happened and it was back to business as usual. Interesting episode, about how UFO abduction narratives changed through the decades.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

They talked about X-Files on an episode of Chapo and the guest they had on said something close to those lines. X-Files came out right as The Cold War had ended and there was a brief moment in time where America had no major enemy, so we started looking inward. Then 9/11 happened and it was back to business as usual. Interesting episode, about how UFO abduction narratives changed through the decades.

Do you know the episode number? That sounds really interesting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bonus Episode from May 5th, The Greypill Feat @hayleyglyphs

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Does the remake even have the "I'd buy that for a dollar!" guy?

If not it's trash

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yes, but now it's "I'd buy that for $2.50"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

there is a neato book along these lines called they know us better than we know ourselves

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1727179.They_Know_Us_Better_Than_We_Know_Ourselves

it takes a look at abduction accounts from a sociological perspective, trying to explain the similarities in narrative without disputing any of the claims people have made. basically not "did this happen" but "why does everyone who thinks this happened have these common elements in their stories"?

the tldr conclusion is that abduction narratives are expressions of collective anxiety around loss of autonomy in a globalized world. one example is that a focus on grey aliens in the 1970s and 80s (as opposed to the earlier little green men) and the almost fetal look of greys, combined with their seeming focus on medically invasive experiments, relate to anxiety around healthcare and abortion. likewise, more age of aquarian focus on nordic looking aliens trying to bring world peace relate to fears of cold war destruction. its a well argued book

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Have greys dropped out of popular culture? It feels like they took a real dive post-9/11, which makes sense if they're the expression of fears about the end of history era.

I sometimes wonder how much the ubiquity of phone cameras has driven ufos out of popular culture vs Americans simply regressing away from technological fantasy into dumber varieties of conspiracism. There's something about ufo abduction that feels particularly middle-class as a cultural phenomenon, that it was all about suburban professionals and people who lived in suburbs who could believe a sci-fi plot about advanced technology and medical experimentation in a way that doesn't totally translate to other kinds of conspiracy theory. Maybe I'm just giving 90s suburban polo dads too much credit.

But then I guess satanic ritual abuse was largely the same thing and took off with largely the same demographic--something about free-floating suburban anxiety. Fear of a loss of control to totalizing and inhuman systems can describe that one pretty well too. I'll have to check out that book.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean horror and sci-fi are the realms of societal fears right? It's why zombies became super popular post 9/11 through the financial crisis. Not to look too deep into a Snyder film but Dawn of the Dead starts in suburbia where everyones doors are unlocked and everyone gets along and then overnight your neighbor is eating your face or threatening to shoot you.

Probably why Jordan Peele's movies are resonating hard right now. A society that is confronting its past and doesn't know how to handle it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jedit posted:

it's always going to be worse than a real cop

Talk about not aging well!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Have greys dropped out of popular culture? It feels like they took a real dive post-9/11, which makes sense if they're the expression of fears about the end of history era.

No, they started lifting weights

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I sometimes wonder how much the ubiquity of phone cameras has driven ufos out of popular culture vs Americans simply regressing away from technological fantasy into dumber varieties of conspiracism. There's something about ufo abduction that feels particularly middle-class as a cultural phenomenon, that it was all about suburban professionals and people who lived in suburbs who could believe a sci-fi plot about advanced technology and medical experimentation in a way that doesn't totally translate to other kinds of conspiracy theory. Maybe I'm just giving 90s suburban polo dads too much credit.

It's nowhere near the peak it was at in the 90s but you still get the occasional bit of abduction narrative in pop culture, and by now the greys are inextricably linked to that

I'm always down for a UFO movie, and since 9/11 there's been Signs, The Fourth Kind, Paul, Dark Skies, the X-files relaunch, a fistful of found-footage movies about Area 51 and/or the Phoenix Lights, 2019's The Vast of Night (which features no on-screen aliens but is UFO as hell), and probably some other TV shows that I never got around to watching.

Also the Alienware logo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phy posted:

It's nowhere near the peak it was at in the 90s but you still get the occasional bit of abduction narrative in pop culture, and by now the greys are inextricably linked to that

I'm always down for a UFO movie, and since 9/11 there's been Signs, The Fourth Kind, Paul, Dark Skies, the X-files relaunch, a fistful of found-footage movies about Area 51 and/or the Phoenix Lights, 2019's The Vast of Night (which features no on-screen aliens but is UFO as hell), and probably some other TV shows that I never got around to watching.

Also the Alienware logo.

Av/post combo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

you know i was thinking about this for a bit and i think the mistake i made was thinking things were necessarily less controversial and political in the 90s/00s, as opposed to the way our media consumption has changed since then. back in the day, you could just watch something like power rangers and take whatever message they were hawking on a given episode or not, and just move on with your life. now however, we don't just have T.V. shows/movies with a message, but we youtube personalities like sargon and the quartering, who don't just provide "entertainment", but they actively and repeatedly tell their audiences what to be angry about. this is a completely new phenomenon that didn't exist before. along with the rise of podcasts, political messaging is so much more overt and focused then it had ever been before.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

you know i was thinking about this for a bit and i think the mistake i made was thinking things were necessarily less controversial and political in the 90s/00s, as opposed to the way our media consumption has changed since then. back in the day, you could just watch something like power rangers and take whatever message they were hawking on a given episode or not, and just move on with your life. now however, we don't just have T.V. shows/movies with a message, but we youtube personalities like sargon and the quartering, who don't just provide "entertainment", but they actively and repeatedly tell their audiences what to be angry about. this is a completely new phenomenon that didn't exist before. along with the rise of podcasts, political messaging is so much more overt and focused then it had ever been before.

The dawn of a lot of that stuff was in the 90s. Rush Limbaugh walked so that they could run. Fox News as well. I feel like the first real right-wing media outrage cycle dates to Clinton getting investigated and impeached.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of 90s conspiracy culture and greys, remember Elvis conspiracies? There were constant stories of Elvis sightings. Whenever aliens or conspiracy theorists appeared in a humorous context, there was a good chance Elvis would come up, either hanging out with aliens or being one. That seems to have gone away in the early Aughts.

Qanon is obsessed with celebrities and their deaths and has some crossover with UFO culture, but I’ve never seen any mention of Elvis from them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I imagine the overlap between "online enough to be into qanon" and "old enough to care about Elvis" is pretty small.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The dawn of a lot of that stuff was in the 90s. Rush Limbaugh walked so that they could run. Fox News as well. I feel like the first real right-wing media outrage cycle dates to Clinton getting investigated and impeached.

right, that's true. i should have clarified that by saying fox news/rush helped enrage boomers, whereas quartering/sargon/pool/etc. enrage kids/younger people

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CPColin posted:

Talk about not aging well!

I mean realistically it's not like the algorithm is going to be any less racist than the people building it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It’s been long enough that even if Elvis faked his death he probably wouldn’t still be alive. I’m sure that stifles that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Byzantine posted:

It’s been long enough that even if Elvis faked his death he probably wouldn’t still be alive. I’m sure that stifles that.

Same with Jimmy Hoffa and DB Cooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

no, there were always john birchers, larouchites, know-nothings, and random people yelling on street corners. the main difference now is that the internet makes it much easier to broadcast your message and amoral social media companies monetize your hate speech, so you can make a living doing it without having to pay people to print and distribute pamphlets