Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

One thing I noticed just now is that when you select "expungement" under the drop down there are no results. I suppose I can just try to contact some of the lawyers listed under "criminal" and see if they can do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

UglyAnarchist posted:

One thing I noticed just now is that when you select "expungement" under the drop down there are no results. I suppose I can just try to contact some of the lawyers listed under "criminal" and see if they can do it?

Yeah, anybody on that list for criminal will be a good source for a referral to someone else who handles this if they don't.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Motronic posted:

Yeah, anybody on that list for criminal will be a good source for a referral to someone else who handles this if they don't.

Awesome, you guys are really helping me out here. I don't know why my initial reaction wasn't to simply go to bar website and Google results were sketching me out. Here's looking forward to a clear record :cheers:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

UglyAnarchist posted:

Awesome, you guys are really helping me out here. I don't know why my initial reaction wasn't to simply go to bar website and Google results were sketching me out. Here's looking forward to a clear record :cheers:

Because most people never have to do this kind of thing.

Just make the call. If you don't get an answer you like make another call to the next person, etc.

None of the lawyers here can give you specific advice because they're not YOUR lawyer. But the answer is almost always bar referral and get your own lawyer.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Motronic posted:

Because most people never have to do this kind of thing.

Just make the call. If you don't get an answer you like make another call to the next person, etc.

None of the lawyers here can give you specific advice because they're not YOUR lawyer. But the answer is almost always bar referral and get your own lawyer.

I'm going to give a few a call tomorrow. Thanks again.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If you get a felony expunged, do you still have to answer "yes" to "have you ever been convicted of a felony" on employment applications?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe. That’s the best answer

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Called someone and they offered $750 per each offense for sealing plus court costs. I'll most likely go with him but I'd like to try to get quotes on some of the other lawyers on the bar website to compare prices. He found more poo poo on my record than I remember. Including a shoplifting charge when I was a minor but I guess I was charged as an adult.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
That price sounds reasonable to me

Edit: If there's a hearing in your jurisdiction, that price sounds reasonable. Maybe a little pricey if there's no hearing but I assume there is one

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 27, 2021

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What sort of timeframe should I be looking at between responses from my lawyer? We've been maybe hearing from her once a week at best - and never really getting anywhere. It's been around a month, and we still haven't managed to send any initial correspondence to the other party. Her initial draft missed out on some of the facts we had told her about, so we're sort of back to square 1.

We're at just over a month from sending in the retainer and seemingly no real progress has been made.

We had found this lawyer via legalshield.com, which I get as a work benefit... is it likely we're just at the bottom of the pile because we're paying a discounted rate?

I'm not expecting this to move super fast, but am I being unreasonable here? My only other experience hiring a lawyer was for buying a house, so I don't really have any reference.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

devicenull posted:

What sort of timeframe should I be looking at between responses from my lawyer? We've been maybe hearing from her once a week at best - and never really getting anywhere. It's been around a month, and we still haven't managed to send any initial correspondence to the other party. Her initial draft missed out on some of the facts we had told her about, so we're sort of back to square 1.

We're at just over a month from sending in the retainer and seemingly no real progress has been made.

We had found this lawyer via legalshield.com, which I get as a work benefit... is it likely we're just at the bottom of the pile because we're paying a discounted rate?

I'm not expecting this to move super fast, but am I being unreasonable here? My only other experience hiring a lawyer was for buying a house, so I don't really have any reference.

what is it your lawyer is doing for you

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

evilweasel posted:

what is it your lawyer is doing for you

Very little, it seems.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Austen Tassletine posted:

Very little, it seems.

Well in that case what's the rush? You're getting exactly what you asked for, very unimportant small case low priority.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Legal work can potentially be done through an insurance type set up and often is for richer people and companies

Legal shield is not effective legal insurance

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Whenever those Legal Insurance companies call me asking if I will take a case I decline because they want to pay a discounted rate, and its not worth my time. Also, they want you to "just write a letter" or whatever which is not how representing a client works, and I'm not buying all that hassle and followup for $150; I have actual cases to work on.

I have proffered no opinion about the kind of lawyer that would take such work.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

devicenull posted:

Hearing from your attorney once a week is not bad if there’s not an active litigation with immediate deadlines. Whether that is often enough and the case is moving at the speed it should is entirely dependent on facts not available to us.

Just tell her you’d like to speed this up and get the letter out by the end of the week and see what she says. You are paying her, she works for you. You are allowed to say these things to her.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not really paying her at all in this case.

Also lawyers don’t “work for you”. We aren’t your employees or whatever to Karen around

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I mean, realistically, what level of lawyerly serves are you expecting to get for $15/paycheck or $400/year?
I think the only situation it would make even the remotest amount of sense was if you were a lead foot speeder and got a monthly speeding ticket, but i feel even having a lawyer wouldn't do you much good after the second or third.

I've asked this question before and for the one year I had the service I used it exactly once, and that was to have a lawyer for my closing.
I probably could have gotten the same level of service/more by picking a real estate atty from the phone book or bar referral.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

euphronius posted:

Also lawyers don’t “work for you”. We aren’t your employees or whatever to Karen around

True but that's getting into a bit of semantics. The same can be said for pretty much every type of client-consultant/contractor work. Doctor/plumber/politician/mechanic/prostitute/marketing consultant/hitman/etc

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

euphronius posted:

Who do you work for then?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Who do you work for then?

Associates work for the partners. Partners are usually in a partnership structure so are co owners

Solos obviously work for themselves.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
that is a dumb semantics over who is the principal in the employer-employee relationship and has nothing to do with what my point was

clients absofuckinglutely karen around all the time, nit pick bills, bitch about hours, complain about associates, etc.

and if you can't go to your attorney and say "hey whats the status of this? can we possibly speed this up?" then you should get a different attorney

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The should not do that

Also accusing a lawyer of playing semantics is weird. It’s like what we do

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The law is a service industry. Like being a sandwich artist, or a prostitute

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Respectfully to sandwich artists, they are not professionals

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't want to get into it too much, but it's an issue over who's responsible for maintenance of an easement that's causing some property damage.

We're already past the "free" thing provided by legal shield - we put in a $1k retainer and were told the rate was $200/hr.

I'll have to give her a call and ask wtf. I just didn't want to be the crazy guy expecting things to happen quicker then everyone else.

devicenull fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 27, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh yeah . Property disputes are not predictable in the slightest. It could be solved with a letter or a case litigated to the Supreme Court and back.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

euphronius posted:

Respectfully to sandwich artists, they are not professionals

What if they have formal chef training and specialize in sandwiches?

E: or an arts degree and specialize in sandwiches?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

But then we must ask: what legally constitutes a sandwich?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Outrail posted:

What if they have formal chef training and specialize in sandwiches?

E: or an arts degree and specialize in sandwiches?

A chef is not normally a professional in the USA

Idk what happens in other places

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'm looking into buying a home, and looking at my county property appraiser's map (online) it looks like a decent chunk of my potential neighbor's home is on it.

I'm obviously going to get it surveyed first, but here's the question: are these expected to be accurate, because if so holy crap have people been going off the reservation.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Eminent Domain posted:

But then we must ask: what legally constitutes a sandwich?

Is there sandwich based case law

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

VanSandman posted:

Didn't Subway get sued because the foot long buns were only 11 inches?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A common trope in this thread was suing a burger for being too delicious, has this ever been put to the test?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

A chef is not normally a professional in the USA

Idk what happens in other places

In which you semantically use the definition of a professional degree or a first professional degree, such as a juris doctorate degree.

Not in the realistic definition wherein a chef has a future in his selected profession and a lawyer is headed for the burning eternal purgatory of staff attorneyship.

In other places such as Norway, jurist, medical doctor and psychologist were the only recognized "professional" degrees until the bachelor/master system and sort of still are. Other degrees are considered scientific or subject expertise achievements without being directly tied to professional certifications, unlike the "professions".

VanSandman posted:

Do not loving start this. DO NOT. The lawyer discord has litigated the definition of a sandwich to death and back. gently caress you. Shut up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea what you mean by “semantically”

If you are saying I am using words with meaning then yes I am doing that. Everyone does that

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'm looking into buying a home, and looking at my county property appraiser's map (online) it looks like a decent chunk of my potential neighbor's home is on it.

I'm obviously going to get it surveyed first, but here's the question: are these expected to be accurate, because if so holy crap have people been going off the reservation.

No, the combined property tax maps are often very bad, particularly if they were put together before the advent of computers for CADD.

If you can find the recorded plats (often online) you can get a better idea of the property boundaries, and how they relate to each other. Hiring a surveyor to recover property corners, etc is obviously the gold standard to know for sure.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

I have no idea what you mean by “semantically”

If you are saying I am using words with meaning then yes I am doing that. Everyone does that

Cease your sophistry.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Do not loving start this. DO NOT. The lawyer discord has litigated the definition of a sandwich to death and back. gently caress you. Shut up.

Too late. I have spoken the forsaken words and opened the gate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Did it happen?

Did someone create joinder?