Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Has the box been sighted again? It went out middle of last week.

I had the RP vintage 1990 the other night and it was just lovely. Full of chocolate and dark malt. We got our second covid shots today, if we don't feel like death tonight I might try out the flathead from the box as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I believe I'm next on the list, no dice yet!

Partagas aren't ready yet, but they're still tasty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Maksimus54 posted:

Has the box been sighted again? It went out middle of last week.

I had the RP vintage 1990 the other night and it was just lovely. Full of chocolate and dark malt. We got our second covid shots today, if we don't feel like death tonight I might try out the flathead from the box as well

Oh nice! Yeah, the 1990 is a really great smoke. The Flathead is also great, just beware the nicotine, it's a strong one! Make sure you've got a full belly and maybe a snack with it.

As for the box pass, I was curious as well so I looked up the tracking and saw that it had been delivered. I pm'd zuffenphile and they said they'd gotten it, done the swap, and were sending it out tomorrow. I told them to post about it too, hahah. It'll be heading to NFM next.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Giving the Tabernacle Havana seed #142 another rip. These are double Coronas so they're gigantic. Nexein and I had weird burn issues with the first ones we smoked from this batch. This one seems to be going a lot better. Impossibly toothy wrapper, and a very rich flavorful smoke. These are awesome if you can find em.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gotta try some of the Tabernacle stuff, it sounds great. I smoked one of the last La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire coronas last night. They're not up on CA anymore, I can only see robustos, toros, and perfecto tubos. I hope they get more of the coronas in soon, they're a perfect coffee smoke, all sweet and creamy.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Giving the Tabernacle Havana seed #142 another rip. These are double Coronas so they're gigantic. Nexein and I had weird burn issues with the first ones we smoked from this batch. This one seems to be going a lot better. Impossibly toothy wrapper, and a very rich flavorful smoke. These are awesome if you can find em.

This was a lovely way to waste like $20 but I'm glad the rest is better, hopefully.

Also hi thread it's been a minute, I smoked a my father no 1 on the way home and now I'm smoking a tatuaje black on the porch because I'm a degenerate, hope yall are well.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I smoked a Tabernacle Corona the other day and it’s one of the best cigars I’ve smoked.

I have a My Father #1 and a EP Carrillo Pledge dry boxing at the moment - torn on which gets smoked tonight

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
It’s going to be windy this evening but high 50s. Good enough for a cigar I’m thinking... R&J Cazzadores.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Dramatika posted:

I smoked a Tabernacle Corona the other day and it’s one of the best cigars I’ve smoked.

I have a My Father #1 and a EP Carrillo Pledge dry boxing at the moment - torn on which gets smoked tonight

We haven't had the pledge yet but we just got the La historias and they ruled. It's impossible for me to turn down a MF though and the #1 is making a serious contender for my top, even with how much I love the bijou.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I consolidated my cigars into 5/6 finger bags and realized I have some 9” cigars that I bought a decade ago. Guess I should get to them this summer:

Monte A
Punch Diademas Extra
Sancho Panza Sanchos

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Smoking a rose of Sharon, very nice so far, subtle flavors. It's a keeper. Also picked up a new ash tray, more like an ash bucket to minimize wind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ritorix fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 24, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That thing rules! I'm really excited to get into more metal forming activities one day. Sheet metal is so versatile.

Had a LAdC Rothschild last night, and it's soooooo close to ready. Hopefully not more than another week or two. I'll have to buy another box sooner than later to keep a good rotation going. Probably the same for the Curivari Buenaventuras.

Anyone pick up anything new to them lately? I think the Bolivar PCs, which are still getting ready, and the Papas Fritas I've been smoking near daily for a week and change are my only ones.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Anyone pick up anything new to them lately? I think the Bolivar PCs, which are still getting ready, and the Papas Fritas I've been smoking near daily for a week and change are my only ones.

The Camacho Ecuador from the sampler we got was the biggest surprise. The triple Maduro and CT were great as always. The Corojo is very good, but that Ecuador was an unexpected flavor bomb. Excited to have another this weekend.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Kenning posted:

Gotta try some of the Tabernacle stuff, it sounds great. I smoked one of the last La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire coronas last night. They're not up on CA anymore, I can only see robustos, toros, and perfecto tubos. I hope they get more of the coronas in soon, they're a perfect coffee smoke, all sweet and creamy.

Hello Kenning

Thanks for setting up the box pass! Great stuff inside, have yet to smoke any however I will have a report on what I grabbed tomorrow..........

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The box has arrived! VERY excited to take my turn. Cheers, friends!

E: holy poo poo dudes. Much higher rollers contributing than me!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 25, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The posts!

The overall split - I pulled on the left, traded in the middle, and added on the right for postage.

That's a La Aurora 115th, La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 4, Partagas Short, and Stradivarius.

There are some incredible sticks in there that I don't think I'll ever have adequate trade fodder for. Gobbless Kenning and all you beautiful smokers. I'll send it in the morning!

Worthy of a double post imo

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Having my second go with the Perez Carillo la historia ep-iii. Pretty much an essential stick for anyone here to try. Absolutely delicious cigar that falls on the sweet side of spicy. Cinnamon/coffee/cocoa with a long very creamy finish. Hoping I can find some Pledges soon cause if theyre better than this one I gotta try em.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I couldn't help myself and lit up that Rose of Sharon lancero this morning and it whips.

Super fragrant with enough creamy body to keep it from being overwhelming. I'm pairing it with a few cups of different Earl Greys and it's marvelous.

Y'all are a super special crew, I'm already looking forward to the next box pass which will hopefully include some gifts from me to everyone in it!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

I couldn't help myself and lit up that Rose of Sharon lancero this morning and it whips.

Super fragrant with enough creamy body to keep it from being overwhelming. I'm pairing it with a few cups of different Earl Greys and it's marvelous.

Y'all are a super special crew, I'm already looking forward to the next box pass which will hopefully include some gifts from me to everyone in it!

Having a rose myself in box pressed toro. I think the non box pressed version I got from a fresh pack was better but these are still basically the best light wrapper cigar I've ever had. This is for sure a cigar I want to try in every possible vitola.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Supposed to be nice here after a pretty serious rainstorm so I think I'll get to dig into a RoS lancero tonight. I'm really happy to see the excitement over the box pass, I don't think I put anything terribly decadent(not that I was stingy) in there but I'm stoked to see what the final box looks like.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah, I'm glad the box pass was so successful, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Rose of Sharon lancero. It's a beautiful smoke for sure. I'm super excited to get the final box and document its journey. I took a picture of the sticks I put in, so it will be fun to see what comes out. I'm looking forward to doing another box pass in a couple weeks once the dust has settled, this has been pretty fun.

I'm thinking of making a Cigar Bid order that will include the AJF box press perfecto sampler I got last summer. I hope they've been stored well, since I feel like CI/CB sticks tend to be a bit dry, but it's a great deal and I loved everything I smoked from that mix. I guess one might as well roll the dice. I'm definitely not going to make my "no more cigar purchases until July" goal, but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
Been lurking for a bit, however i have to update on what i did for the box pass.

I took a few that have turned out to be really good.

1. Leaf by Oscar - Corojo - amazing wrapper smell, grass that is a little sweet, construction is quite good and the draw is perfect. This looks like a lancero and was very good, mild in flavor, amazing nose if not a little sweet. Was a consistent draw and smoke through the whole cigar. My only critique was this is a “one note” in terms of flavor. I prefer a stick develop through the process. Would I get one again? absolutely! For me 8/10

2. My fathers cigars - el centurion toro box pressed - H-2K CT. Wrapper has a smell of sweet hay. The foot has a smell of light ammonia and spice ( what i would expect from a young cigar) construction looks good and has a very light draw. 1st and 2nd third were ok, this could use more time to age to allow the flavors to truly develop. Overall not bad but for me a 6/10

3. H. Upmann - Regalias or Majestics (I think Regalias) - I am very biased to the brand and blend (one of my Cuban favorites), have never smoked this size however the flavors are there and were very good please take that for what it is. I am not going to rate.....

4. Romeo and Juliet - Short Churchill - solid smoke in my opinion. Great construction, wrapper nose is amazing and complex. Flavor through out develops well and tastes exquisite. These are a great buy and

Next box pass I will be taking more non Cuban sticks to try as I have not really been exposed to those as much and try to focus on tobacco regions to further refine my tastes.

In total I took 5 cigars and left 8, thank you Kenning for setting this one up, am looking forward to the next one!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
The short Churchill is a great cigar. I’m still trying to find a 5er of the ERDM choix supreme because I believe they have the most pleasant flavor of all the Cubans.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The H. Upmann Regalia is firmly one of my favorite cigars period, very psyched to see another thread person enjoying it. It's such a good time every time*

* Terms and conditions apply, purchase a PerfecDraw if you have not

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

zuffenphile posted:

Been lurking for a bit, however i have to update on what i did for the box pass.

I took a few that have turned out to be really good.

1. Leaf by Oscar - Corojo - amazing wrapper smell, grass that is a little sweet, construction is quite good and the draw is perfect. This looks like a lancero and was very good, mild in flavor, amazing nose if not a little sweet. Was a consistent draw and smoke through the whole cigar. My only critique was this is a “one note” in terms of flavor. I prefer a stick develop through the process. Would I get one again? absolutely! For me 8/10

2. My fathers cigars - el centurion toro box pressed - H-2K CT. Wrapper has a smell of sweet hay. The foot has a smell of light ammonia and spice ( what i would expect from a young cigar) construction looks good and has a very light draw. 1st and 2nd third were ok, this could use more time to age to allow the flavors to truly develop. Overall not bad but for me a 6/10

3. H. Upmann - Regalias or Majestics (I think Regalias) - I am very biased to the brand and blend (one of my Cuban favorites), have never smoked this size however the flavors are there and were very good please take that for what it is. I am not going to rate.....

4. Romeo and Juliet - Short Churchill - solid smoke in my opinion. Great construction, wrapper nose is amazing and complex. Flavor through out develops well and tastes exquisite. These are a great buy and

Next box pass I will be taking more non Cuban sticks to try as I have not really been exposed to those as much and try to focus on tobacco regions to further refine my tastes.

In total I took 5 cigars and left 8, thank you Kenning for setting this one up, am looking forward to the next one!

This is a great post! I'm glad you got some fun stuff from the box. The LbO corojo is interesting because I feel like it's got one main note throughout the smoke and then little things appear here and there randomly puff by puff, as opposed to other cigars that have a narrative through line. I definitely think you're right about the H-2K-CT benefiting from some age. I smoked my first one of those back last summer and it was pretty disappointing, and by December they were smoking much better. I think I have 2 or 3 left, I'm gonna leave them in the bottom of the humidor for a while before giving them another go. I'd also love to try the corona size, to see how it smokes with a higher wrapper-to-filler ratio.

Seems like everybody had a good time with the box pass, I'm definitely looking forward to putting another one together, maybe for late May or so. Super fun!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I wish I had gotten in on the box pass, but I'm in the middle of a house-buying process and will be switching addresses so it seemed like a bad idea. Next time!!!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It'd be great to have you on board for the next one! Also, congrats on buying a house.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The box is on its way home!

I pulled out one of those Perdomo Champagne Puritos and that was a very good, mellow morning smoke. I think that's another Kenning special?

It feels like it's been dragging a bit on those LAdC Rothschildes, I'm tempted to have another to see if they're ready yet >_>

Cracking into a Jose L Piedra Cazador for lunch, and I'm really psyched about that! Hopefully that mixed filler will have acclimated by now.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Effectively new to cigars - I bought a couple sampler packs from CI like 7 years ago, smoked a few, lost interest, forgot to care for them, threw them in the trash. Interested again in no small part to Ophidian and am easing back into it. Got a jar, Boveda pack and a handful of recommendations including the oft mentioned Leaf by Oscar Connecticut. I'd agree with the above poster mentioning the Corojo it (the Connecticut) was very one-note. Not a ton going on but not unpleasant. I think I would probably appreciate some more complex cigars but who knows. I tend to favor bourbon when it comes to liquor and have done a few sampling experiments at home where I was able to accurately pick out and identify about 10 different bourbons in blind tasting from my liquor shelf so I feel like I can appreciate some nuance and variety in tobacco.

I understand Cubans are more "accessible" than they used to be but not widely/officially distributed in the US, so anything non-Cuban that is fairly easy to find at a decently stocked shop (I see there are some fellow Chicagoans here - several Binny's aren't far from me) would be cool. That and I'm probably not ready to drop $150+/box on Cubans I have no idea if I will like.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 27, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Welcome fellow Chicagoan!

I've got a bunch of my thoughts on Cubans in the OP, but I'll also say that you're not missing a ton. If we get a meetup going after vaccination, I'll bring some sticks to share to introduce you!

I could talk your ear off, but if you're in town, two places to check out are Up Down Cigar and Hubbard and State. The entire crew at Up Down are fantastic and know their stuff. Ross at Hubbard and State mans the shop regularly and has a fantastic nose for folks' tastes.

If you're looking for recs, what kinds of flavors and intensity are you interested in?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Managed to sneak in a RoS Sunday night between showers, had to hide under the eaves while we waited for a shower to pass. The RoS is very nice, beautiful construction and an awesome smoke. Lots of different flavors that just work.

Last night we lucked into an actual clear sky and worked down another MF LeBijou. GD those might just be my new favorite smoke. Lots of earth and leather, a little dark malt and then for the 2/3 it worked up a nice crack of spice, by the final 3rd I was getting some lovely floral action. Very curious to try them in a different vitola as I've been working on some petit robusto's

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Maksimus54 posted:

Managed to sneak in a RoS Sunday night between showers, had to hide under the eaves while we waited for a shower to pass. The RoS is very nice, beautiful construction and an awesome smoke. Lots of different flavors that just work.

Last night we lucked into an actual clear sky and worked down another MF LeBijou. GD those might just be my new favorite smoke. Lots of earth and leather, a little dark malt and then for the 2/3 it worked up a nice crack of spice, by the final 3rd I was getting some lovely floral action. Very curious to try them in a different vitola as I've been working on some petit robusto's

You can't go wrong with Southern Draw or My Father. Try the Jacob's Ladder and the La Opulencia if you like darker stuff.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Welcome fellow Chicagoan!

I've got a bunch of my thoughts on Cubans in the OP, but I'll also say that you're not missing a ton. If we get a meetup going after vaccination, I'll bring some sticks to share to introduce you!

I could talk your ear off, but if you're in town, two places to check out are Up Down Cigar and Hubbard and State. The entire crew at Up Down are fantastic and know their stuff. Ross at Hubbard and State mans the shop regularly and has a fantastic nose for folks' tastes.

If you're looking for recs, what kinds of flavors and intensity are you interested in?

I'm in the north suburbs but good to know if I venture down into the city proper. As for flavors and intensity - I dunno? Hit me with some variety and I'll see what I do and don't like I guess.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm in the north suburbs but good to know if I venture down into the city proper. As for flavors and intensity - I dunno? Hit me with some variety and I'll see what I do and don't like I guess.

I see! If you're around Skokie, Big Mike's has a pretty decent selection.

There are all kinds of blends and locations that impact intensity, but I think I might have a handful of smokes that won't lead you wrong as far as being exemplars of their place in the ecosystem.

First, I'm a massive My Father fan. I think they do a lot of really incredible stuff, and it all leans medium-full and on the spicier side. I'd recommend checking out one of their blue labels. It's like right in the middle of all their different varieties, and if you like one thing or another that it's doing, you can usually find more of it in another blend they make. For example, they have a great cereal chewiness to them, and if you want more of that, the Centurion will do it. More spice? Check out Flor de Las Antillas.

For something a little more middle of the road, try a maduro Padron 2000 or Londres. They're decidedly more old school blends, but that's another avenue of smokes you might enjoy!

On the lighter side, a La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire in corona is my hot pick. They're more commonly found in the premium double figurado vitola, but if you can find the corona it's a fantastic deal.

There's so much variety out there, it's hard to choose. I think these are solid choices that don't go too hard on anything, but can reveal a hint of what's out there.

E: for Habanos on a budget, definitely check out the ones I mentioned in the OP, see if anyone will do fivers or singles.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 27, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I definitely second all of NewFatMike's suggestions. I consider the Padron 2000 to be the most quintessential cigar out there. It tastes like what you'd expect, is beautifully constructed, and smokes for a little over an hour.

Another brand worth exploring is the Nub line by Oliva. They're pretty commonly available at brick and mortar shops, and there are also good samplers of different Nubs from the various online retailers. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with different wrappers:

Nub Connecticut: creamy and sweet
Nub Habano: spicy and meaty
Nub Cameroon: leathery and rich
Nub Dub: chocolatey and peppery
Nub Maduro: boring and bitter

Important word of warning: Gurkha is a trash brand, and not worth it, even at the constant "promotional" prices they're offered at.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kenning posted:

It'd be great to have you on board for the next one! Also, congrats on buying a house.

Thanks!!!

I now have the difficult decision of what I smoke to celebrate when I close - got Opus X, Plasencia Alma Fuerte, Andalusian Bull, Padron 1926, and God of Fire chillin in the humidor now waiting for the special occasion call, but we'll see where it ends up.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Kenning posted:

Important word of warning: Gurkha is a trash brand, and not worth it, even at the constant "promotional" prices they're offered at.

I'll be sure to tell my buddy who almost exclusively posts photos of Gurkhas on Instagram

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

charliebravo77 posted:

I'll be sure to tell my buddy who almost exclusively posts photos of Gurkhas on Instagram

Don’t dox me

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Friends don't let friends smoke Gurkhas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Dramatika posted:

Thanks!!!

I now have the difficult decision of what I smoke to celebrate when I close - got Opus X, Plasencia Alma Fuerte, Andalusian Bull, Padron 1926, and God of Fire chillin in the humidor now waiting for the special occasion call, but we'll see where it ends up.

I used to think I was a Fuente guy but I don't really get the Opus X hype. I may just not have the palate for it yet. Out of those my eyes are drawn to the bull. Or the Padron.

That's not to say the Opus X haven't been nice, but no where near worth what I spent on them.