Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

Please have it be wizard stories that don't have to be set in the HP world, I'll write up and submit the first draft of a story I've been turning over in my mind and could use some beta-readers.

If you made a thread on CC I bet you'd get some feedback! Lots of people in the wings there wanting to enjoy some art.

reignofevil posted:

No such promises regarding our wizard-writing rules in this thread though! Funky will know who has broken their hallowed decree.

Hey, call me Al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ccs posted:

As another poster said about Fantastic Beasts, these ancillary pieces of the HP franchise are too reliant on the plot beats that worked before. Give us something new to enjoy about the wizarding world.

Speaking of this point, the Hogwarts Legacy game that's set in 1800s seems like exactly the kind of thing the franchise needs to expand it beyond the borders of its tired story beats. I want to see some wizards going up against some alchemists experimenting with new and dangerous forms of magic or something.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

Hey, call me Al.

Is that a capital I or a lowercase L these are the kind of questions that haunt me.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TinTower posted:

One of the most prominent Jewish characters JKR has ever written became a magic nazi rapist in Fantastic Beasts 2.

I’m not joking, that’s literally what she does. Her first scene shows how she’s been keeping Dan Fogler’s character dosed up on love potions for months since FB1, and by the end of FB2 she joins Grindelwald because he’ll stop Hiroshima or something.

It’s really gross and really awful and FB2 is an awful movie.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She's a sexy lady who has the ability to read everyone's minds by default, constantly goes "oh shucks hun don't worry all the boys think that when they see me," roofies Newt's muggle sidekick Dan Fogler into marriage, and ends Crimes of Grindelwald joining the wizard nazis to help her beloved hubbie (somehow). Also her sister is Newt's love interest/an american wizard cop and they are both presumably part of the Goldstein family and relative to Anthony Goldstein, the exactly one wizarding jew in Britain.

:stare:

loving hell. The goblins's portrayal was already plenty bad, but this is on a whole other level. And making her related to Anthony Goldstein just makes an already small world feel smaller.

Ccs posted:

Speaking of this point, the Hogwarts Legacy game that's set in 1800s seems like exactly the kind of thing the franchise needs to expand it beyond the borders of its tired story beats. I want to see some wizards going up against some alchemists experimenting with new and dangerous forms of magic or something.

Knowing this series, the alchemist group's dangerous form of magic that you need to stop them from developing is a variant on the Polyjuice Potion that changes your gender permanently.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

amigolupus posted:

.Knowing this series, the alchemist group's dangerous form of magic that you need to stop them from developing is a variant on the Polyjuice Potion that changes your gender permanently.

word is that your OC do-not-steal Hogwarts student can be explicitly non-binary, which of course opens up the possibility of specific targeted abuse as opposed to passive denial, but hey someone on the dev-team who isn't the chud (former?) team lead is trying at least.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't have high hopes but I really want that game to be good. It's a secret shame. I can't entirely shake my eternal HP nostalgia and I really want to be a dramatic wizard bully roasting my sports enemies with lame sarcastic badges and petty whining. (as opposed to stepping into frame to deliver a wizard racism rant to strangers.)

e: like imagine a bioware conversation tree but you are Snape marching Harry up to school with Tonks and your goal is to just to land petty owns about their patronuses while knowing drat well what your own sad rear end has

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 27, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TinTower posted:

But if you removed the Lestrange revenge plot then JKR would only be able to put two weird instances of her views re: sexual consent in a film for children.

The character of Queenie Goldstein just by herself really does repudiate pretty much all of JKR’s supposed politics, doesn’t she?

Are the Fantastic Beast movies intended for children? Nothing I've seen about them really seems to indicate that to me.

Also if they're following the flow of the books/previous movie series and pandering to people who are already fans of the franchise, it seems more natural that they'd be for adults who followed along as the series matured from being for pre-teens to late teens. A lot of franchises targeted primarily at children need to reorganize and refocus at some point to draw in the next generation, but I don't think I've really seen signs of that with Harry Potter yet.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are the Fantastic Beast movies intended for children? Nothing I've seen about them really seems to indicate that to me.

Also if they're following the flow of the books/previous movie series and pandering to people who are already fans of the franchise, it seems more natural that they'd be for adults who followed along as the series matured from being for pre-teens to late teens. A lot of franchises targeted primarily at children need to reorganize and refocus at some point to draw in the next generation, but I don't think I've really seen signs of that with Harry Potter yet.

FB1 seemed...kind of immature, yeah. in a different way than the original books and films. it was more cartoonish. i didn't see FB2 tho.

i don't think the franchise is really interested in continuing to pander to the original audience that are now adults, nor reorganizing and refocusing, just luring kids into picking up the pre-existing material with various ancillary pieces of trash that will get them asking about the books

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't have high hopes but I really want that game to be good. It's a secret shame. I can't entirely shake my eternal HP nostalgia and I really want to be a dramatic wizard bully roasting my sports enemies with lame sarcastic badges and petty whining. (as opposed to stepping into frame to deliver a wizard racism rant to strangers.)

e: like imagine a bioware conversation tree but you are Snape marching Harry up to school with Tonks and your goal is to just to land petty owns about their patronuses while knowing drat well what your own sad rear end has

lol, I think we're pretty much in sync listening to the Shriekcast if you're just past Snape's incredible diss too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jazerus posted:

FB1 seemed...kind of immature, yeah. in a different way than the original books and films. it was more cartoonish. i didn't see FB2 tho.

One of the Deathly Hallows almost got an R rating, whereas the FB films seem to be the in the "say a minced oath to get out of PG hell" tier of PG-13 films.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think fantastic beasts biggest problem was that all of this buildup had been set in place by the harry-potter fans about Grindlewald and wizard world war two and this that and the other and so they would have thrown a fit if they had just written a fun adventure romp where they have to catch all the bunglyboops or the sniddlewarts and get them back in the magic bag.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, but that would have been an actually enjoyable movie, theoretically. I mean it obviously wouldn't given it was set in America and they had no idea how to approach that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJkjLP1SvM

I love everything about this exchange, dialogue and delivery. The way Dale says "pudding" is amazing.

(House Points really just did not matter after Book 3. I mean, I guess when SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE at the end of this book, who cares if Gryffindor is winning the House Cup.)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is there some magical excel spreadsheet just floating in the teacher's heads all the time that they can all tell moment to moment how many points each house has?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CainFortea posted:

Is there some magical excel spreadsheet just floating in the teacher's heads all the time that they can all tell moment to moment how many points each house has?

There are enormous hourglasses hanging in the Great Hall that fill and deplete based on teachers and prefects just uh saying 'points to/from' etc. I assume Snape could literally see them during that scene.

Though I don't think they're ever mentioned after the first book until Harry notes them blown up in book seven. Also the movies excised them

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

reignofevil posted:

Is that a capital I or a lowercase L these are the kind of questions that haunt me.

It's L

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

holy poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

Though I don't think they're ever mentioned after the first book until Harry notes them blown up in book seven. Also the movies excised them

There's definitely at least 2 scenes in OotP that mention them. One where Draco is able to dock points once he is a member of Umbridge's squad and the kids look over to confirm that it actual works. The second is at the very end where Snape goes to dock points but then sneers and says like "oh looks like you don't even have any points" and McGonagall shows up back from the hospital and gives everyone a bunch of points (including Luna as the only non-Gryffindor to get points for going to the Ministry)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
As a dedicated scholar of hogwarts history I simply must know how the house points ended up as they were by the end of that year.

'Well a bunch of them were awarded for breaking into a government building...'

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Fantastic Beasts and where to find them? I'd rather watch Fantastic Breasts and where to find them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

reignofevil posted:

As a dedicated scholar of hogwarts history I simply must know how the house points ended up as they were by the end of that year.

lol yeah it's weird. It's phrased as them "exposing Voldemort's return" or whatever. The crazy thing is that McGonagall just waltzes in like 3 hours before the end of year feast and dumps like 250 points onto Gryffindor. And the way the teacher's (especially her and Snape) get so competitive about this poo poo you'd think that in the last few days of the year that kids would be getting 100 points for holding the door for someone, or -100 for misspelling a word on an essay until Dumbledore had to step in and tell them to knock it off (except he's typically doing it as well)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

reignofevil posted:

quote:

"Right then,” said Professor McGonagall, looking up at the hourglasses on the wall, “well, I think Potter and his friends ought to have fifty points apiece for alerting the world to the return of You-KnowWho! What say you, Professor Snape?”

“What?” snapped Snape, though Harry knew he had heard perfectly well. “Oh — well — I suppose . . .”

“So that’s fifty each for Potter, the two Weasleys, Longbottom, and Miss Granger,” said Professor McGonagall, and a shower of rubies fell down into the bottom bulb of Gryffindor’s hourglass as she spoke. “Oh — and fifty for Miss Lovegood, I suppose,” she added, and a number of sapphires fell into Ravenclaw’s glass. “Now, you wanted to take ten from Mr. Potter, I think, Professor Snape — so there we are. . . .”

A few rubies retreated into the upper bulb, leaving a respectable amount below nevertheless.

I honestly did forget this scene entirely until Guy A. Person mentioned it, and it's a pretty cool scene for Minerva.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I had no desire to see the adventures of young Dumbledore but that Jude Law fella ain't hard on the eyes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I also got the impression after year one that Gryffindor wins the house cup basically every year Harry is there, then it becomes more about them trying to win the Quidditch Cup. I swear at one point McGonagall yells at Harry for causing trouble because she doesn't want to lose the cup (this might be like, right at the beginning of Chamber tho after the flying car incident)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I forget, does the winning House actually, you know, get anything for winning the House Cup? Like is there a prize or something, like a trip to a water park or whatever? Or is the incentive solely just meaningless tribalism and having your house colors up in the Great Hall for the last day of the school year?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I always wonder if the high school JK Rowling went to had a house system and took it super seriously.

We had houses in my normal Scottish high school back in the late 90's/early 00's but nobody gave a poo poo about them and they didn't matter for anything.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

NikkolasKing posted:

I honestly did forget this scene entirely until Guy A. Person mentioned it, and it's a pretty cool scene for Minerva.

Phoenix is also the book in which McGonagall pretty much says in front of Umbridge’s face that Quirrell was more competent than her.

Also, “it unscrews the other way”.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I always wonder if the high school JK Rowling went to had a house system and took it super seriously.

We had houses in my normal Scottish high school back in the late 90's/early 00's but nobody gave a poo poo about them and they didn't matter for anything.

it's just another riff on how wizards are a hundred years behind the times

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Asterite34 posted:

I forget, does the winning House actually, you know, get anything for winning the House Cup? Like is there a prize or something, like a trip to a water park or whatever? Or is the incentive solely just meaningless tribalism and having your house colors up in the Great Hall for the last day of the school year?

Isn't it something very inconsequential like all the accents around the castle being changed to the winning House's colors for the next year? Or maybe that was just for the end-of-year ceremonies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's entirely possible that we're just seeing the story through the eyes of idiot tryhards like Harry, Draco, Snape, and McGonagall, and the rest of the castle didn't give a poo poo.

Oliver Wood hated Cedric Diggory because Oliver was an ultracompetitive dickhead and Cedric was a chill dude playing just for love the game.

e: One of the objectively good bits is how hornt up brooding teen Harry spends time raging about that Cedric fucker but everything we actually see of Cedric is that he just rules. Awesome guy when not viewed through the lens of a teenager with PTSD.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 28, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: One of the objectively good bits is how hornt up brooding teen Harry spends time raging about that Cedric fucker but everything we actually see of Cedric is that he just rules. Awesome guy when not viewed through the lens of a teenager with PTSD.

lol I love when Harry is trying to figure out the egg puzzle and he's all "I can't believe I told Cedric about the dragons and he tells me to take a bath. This gently caress. This clown"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Institutions overlooking and downplaying the threat of a resurgent fascist movement was pretty good writing to be honest.

Yeah that's the saving grace of Harry Potter for me, I know Trumbo = Voldemort is played out but everything else about how the fash crept back into society and seized power while the establishment devoted all their energies into harassing and persecuting the people trying to fight back is really relatable

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Guy A. Person posted:

lol I love when Harry is trying to figure out the egg puzzle and he's all "I can't believe I told Cedric about the dragons and he tells me to take a bath. This gently caress. This clown"

He also puts off even trying the suggestion until like right before the challenge because he's salty Cedric is banging his crush.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, if there was a wizard pizza party for winning the house cup, that'd get a lot more of the kids interested.

But pointless rivalries I guess is one of those things that is traditional for elite British boarding schools that I just wouldn't get as a public school American. I think the house cup only really mattered for the first book where Neville stands up to Harry and his crew because he didn't want Gryffindor getting punished anymore (and students in the higher grades also barely feature). With the later books, it's less about the house cup and more just the fact that Slytherins are evil maintaining the house rivalry.

TinTower posted:

Phoenix is also the book in which McGonagall pretty much says in front of Umbridge’s face that Quirrell was more competent than her.

Also, “it unscrews the other way”.

I don't think there was any indication that Quirrell was bad at anything, he just put up a scaredy front which probably hid the fact that he was so anxious about keeping wizard Hitler under his hat. He definitely had some kind of experience with his subject matter at least.

I guess he should've studied up on love-magic and not grabbed the magically protected 11-year-old.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, if there was a wizard pizza party for winning the house cup, that'd get a lot more of the kids interested.

But pointless rivalries I guess is one of those things that is traditional for elite British boarding schools that I just wouldn't get as a public school American. I think the house cup only really mattered for the first book where Neville stands up to Harry and his crew because he didn't want Gryffindor getting punished anymore (and students in the higher grades also barely feature). With the later books, it's less about the house cup and more just the fact that Slytherins are evil maintaining the house rivalry.

I don't think there was any indication that Quirrell was bad at anything, he just put up a scaredy front which probably hid the fact that he was so anxious about keeping wizard Hitler under his hat. He definitely had some kind of experience with his subject matter at least.

I guess he should've studied up on love-magic and not grabbed the magically protected 11-year-old.

Yeah, the only DADA professor who was actually incompetent was Lockhart. Umbridge was lovely and teaching directly from a bad book which makes her the next worse but most of Harry's issues with her were that she was a poo poo denying Voldemort's return.

By all indications, Quirrell, Lupin and Fake Moody taught to a reasonable level. Snape was his normal poo poo self but was probably adequate for everyone who wasn't named 'Potter'.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zore posted:

Yeah, the only DADA professor who was actually incompetent was Lockhart. Umbridge was lovely and teaching directly from a bad book which makes her the next worse but most of Harry's issues with her were that she was a poo poo denying Voldemort's return.

Well, there is the whole torture detention thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

By all indications, Quirrell, Lupin and Fake Moody taught to a reasonable level. Snape was his normal poo poo self but was probably adequate for everyone who wasn't named 'Potter'.

Snape just apparently spends the entirety of their sixth year teaching non-vocal spells, which Harry does genuinely suck at since he wears his emotions on his sleeve (and is constantly irritated at Snape when he’s trying)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Say what you will about Gilderoy Lockhart, but his detentions were chill as gently caress.

e: also idk if this is a headcanon I've posted in this thread before because I feel like I've been increasingly brain poisoned by Potter memories for the past idk how many months of covid, but:

Rewrite idea: Book 2 is when we get introduced to expelliarmus, by none other than Gilderoy being dumpstered by Severus Snape in a great scene. Later, a big plot point is Gilderoy's memory charm backfiring because "lol Ron's wand sucks bc he's poor." Instead of a finale rear end-pull about wand ownership law, make this be one of the first clues about the wand ownership rules. I can easily imagine a scene where little Harry is under the invisibility cloak somewhere. He sees Snape staggering home from another failed night cruising Hogsmeade and hits him with a spell, just as a prank. Now Lockhart's wand is Harry's and that's how the chamber scene happens.

Also, Lockhart shouldn't have been thrown out so fast. The epilogue should have been a muggle man being hauled off to jail after sentencing in a US court. He espies a gold-fringed flag and screams that this means the court is operating under Wizard Law and therefore invalid. The court laughs him off as an insane conspiracy theorist, but the camera zooms in to the back of the room, and in the rear seats we see a smirking Gilderoy. The audience rests easy knowing he has recovered.

e2: This could also work for a Fantastic Beasts opener. In that case just make sure he's got a really gaudy time turner on a chain around his neck.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 29, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I always see online discussions asking why Dumbledore would hire Lockhart... which is a bad topic because it's right there in the text.

I want to know why Lockhart wanted to leave his cushy celebrity life to become a teacher. Guy probably just had good memories of his school days and wanted to relive the magic before his life became a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe he thought he could make even more money by making his stacks of books be required for his classes? Or he's such an egomaniac that having to make classrooms full of people pay attention to his boastful stories for hours was right up his alley