Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

>>>>>>>>> normal looking people with slightly blue tinted faces

The DotD zombies don't just look cheap, they look lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Counterpoint:

There are some nice looking makeup and gore effects in DotD, unfortunately they're far outnumbered by the "lets splash some makeup on this guy and call it done" variety.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pointless debate because none of them are as good as Return of the Living Dead.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Counterpoint:

There are some nice looking makeup and gore effects in DotD, unfortunately they're far outnumbered by the "lets splash some makeup on this guy and call it done" variety.

This is done to allow for many shots of hordes of zombies, a crucial point of Dawn. Like I said, the Dawn zombies are cheap but I don’t find them particularly cheaper looking than the Zombie ones. Just a different kind of cheap.

Basebf555 posted:

Well that’s cause Return is miles better than both Dawn and Zombie

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Pointless debate because none of them are as good as Return of the Living Dead Tombs of the Blind Dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I should rewatch Tombs of the Blind Dead to really cement it in my zombie rankings. Right now I feel like yea it probably would rank higher than Dawn of the Dead or Zombi but I can't be certain.

Day of the Dead is a different conversation though, I think Day is the best of the Romero trilogy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WeaponX posted:

This is done to allow for many shots of hordes of zombies, a crucial point of Dawn. Like I said, the Dawn zombies are cheap but I don’t find them particularly cheaper looking than the Zombie ones. Just a different kind of cheap.

The other thing about Dawn is that non-voodoo zombies were still new then, so it didn't exactly matter that they didn't look like a shambling corpse the way it does after the 2000's zombie media boom

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Book of the Dead by Jamie Russell

Very solid and a fun read

Quality book

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Return
Dawn
Night
REC
Shaun

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think I remember the story of how when they mixed up the zombie face paint for Dawn, it looked suitably gray in real life but after they saw it on film it came out looking blue. Also the "hero zombies" were the only ones they really tried to make look cool or interesting and the background extras were literally just painted gray and set loose.

That story aside they put way too much paint on them, no matter the color. Also that blood is some of the worst movie blood I've ever seen. And yet the movie's still better than Zombie.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I think I remember the story of how when they mixed up the zombie face paint for Dawn, it looked suitably gray in real life but after they saw it on film it came out looking blue. Also the "hero zombies" were the only ones they really tried to make look cool or interesting and the background extras were literally just painted gray and set loose.

That story aside they put way too much paint on them, no matter the color. Also that blood is some of the worst movie blood I've ever seen. And yet the movie's still better than Zombie.

Tom Savini agrees with you, because it doesn't look real at all, but George Romero disagrees, because Dawn of the Dead '78 is basically a big old comic book to him. So I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Stink Billyums posted:

Return
Dawn
Night
REC
Shaun

Return
Day
Night
Shaun
Dawn
REC

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Im ok not ranking zombie movies because they're better than a lot of movies anyways.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The notion that I'm watching DotD for zombie effects is wild, I'm watching for the human drama. It's like comparing Fright Night and Martin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The notion that I'm watching DotD for zombie effects is wild, I'm watching for the human drama. It's like comparing Fright Night and Martin.

Yea but for that I think Day is way better so I'd rather just watch Day instead.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Y'all wild.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm just super bored of zombies so that's really what it comes down to. If it's not Return of the Living Dead I'm barely interested.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I can't rewatch Day. A lot of movies have that annoying rear end in a top hat character who fucks everything up and is definitely going to die by the end, like Burke in Aliens. In Day, that is everybody.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but for that I think Day is way better so I'd rather just watch Day instead.

The performances in Dawn are leagues ahead of Day, imho. David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross, these are names etched onto my heart. Day is, if anything, closer to a campy comic horror in terms of tone.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I thought I had zombie movie burnout until I watched Train to Busan, turns out I don't have zombie movie burnout I just have lovely zombie movie burnout because TtB kicked rear end! How was the Train to Busan sequel?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

zombies still kick rear end. my enjoyment of the zombie genre re-ignited after I stopped watching The Walking Dead. I only continued watching it for so long because my mom enjoyed it and liked talking to me about it. I was trapped in that prison till like season 8 when she finally gave up. thank god too, there's so many spinoffs now if she had stayed with it I'd probably be watching the bulk of them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stink Billyums posted:

I can't rewatch Day. A lot of movies have that annoying rear end in a top hat character who fucks everything up and is definitely going to die by the end, like Burke in Aliens. In Day, that is everybody.

Have you been paying attention to the real world for the last 14 months?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't want to be as annoyed by a movie as I am by life.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah if I want to see greedy assholes ruin everything, I'll turn on C-SPAN!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

A fair point. DotD does have some good human drama (at least compared to other zombie movies).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Over the years I've grown to appreciate Day more than Dawn, but goddamn is it bleak.

I mean, so is Dawn but that's a slow burn bleakness. Day just smacks you in the face with pure misery and then it gets worse.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that's probably why I like it so much. especially John and McDermott. Just two dudes doing their best to keep their poo poo together and make the best of a bad situation. a mindset that came in handy for the last year.

pandemic vibes.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I liked [REC] but I liked [REC]2 way more. [REC]3 also ruled but was a very different kind of movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Dawn of the Dead is the best zombie movie ever made. I will not be taking any other further questions, thank you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Braindead is the best zombie movie ever made. I will not be taking any other further questions, thank you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm the guy who enjoyed Land of the Dead :shobon:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

That makes 2 of us bc I will enjoy literally anything with Dennis Hopper in it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You. You I like.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw it 10 times in theaters. I was a very excited teenager.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Dawn of the Dead is the best zombie movie ever made. I will not be taking any other further questions, thank you.

:hmmyes:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Land of the Dead was the second zombie movie I ever saw. Shaun of the Dead was the first. It was a confusing way to approach the subgenre.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kvlt! posted:

I thought I had zombie movie burnout until I watched Train to Busan, turns out I don't have zombie movie burnout I just have lovely zombie movie burnout because TtB kicked rear end! How was the Train to Busan sequel?

it's bad op
which is a shame since Train to Busan was a great time

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kvlt! posted:

That makes 2 of us bc I will enjoy literally anything with Dennis Hopper in it

Have you seen the Wim Wenders movie where he played Tom Ripley (from The Talented Mr. Ripley, but it adapts a different book than the '99 movie)?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075675/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

Have you seen the Wim Wenders movie where he played Tom Ripley (from The Talented Mr. Ripley, but it adapts a different book than the '99 movie)?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075675/

This looks amazing ima check this out!!!

The Berzerker posted:

it's bad op
which is a shame since Train to Busan was a great time

Aw :( It looked like Train to Busan + military which to me sounded so good. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flavius Aetass posted:

I liked [REC] but I liked [REC]2 way more. [REC]3 also ruled but was a very different kind of movie.

I think of REC2 kinda the same way I think of Beneath The Planet of the Apes; they finish the first movie. You can enjoy the first movie by itself just fine, but the sequel completes the story