Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Edit: it vanished

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
It's good stuff. Keep doing what you're doing.

I did a dungeon synth. I added some reverb and Soundtoys' Little Radiator, so it sounds like you're right there, in that dungeon, skulking past those bryophytes. https://alonetone.com/spacehoers/tracks/skulking-past-the-bryophytes

I also did this: https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/5-day-weekend

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 28, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks, I'm Sorry

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/xxBWn

Final version which will be released on a compilation next week (it's for Wateraid, got artists from everywhere on it, I clearly will be the last track as I am on all compilations as I destroy the flow otherwise :lol:)

Now to make my 9th soundcloud as alice DARC is too good an artist name to pass up

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wht was I thinking

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 29, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thanks, I'm Sorry

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/xxBWn

Final version which will be released on a compilation next week (it's for Wateraid, got artists from everywhere on it, I clearly will be the last track as I am on all compilations as I destroy the flow otherwise :lol:)

Now to make my 9th soundcloud as alice DARC is too good an artist name to pass up

there's some good sounds in there friend.

NonzeroCircle posted:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/aMo8k

Me again.
More industrial crap.
No guitars this time.

gone?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
How weird, might be cos the new upload overwrote it maybe? I thought I'd named them differently :smith:
Soundcloud is criminally user unfriendly sometimes.

I have started a new one under the name alice DARC for more of this synthier stuff, final version of the track is nearly done, just doing my half-assed master through Ozone.
Album deadline is tomorrow so I have no choice but to call it :airquote: finished :airquote:

Edit; final mix, tweaked some levels, added some sawtooths and extended the stompy bit at the end
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/JVB4v

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 29, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've been playing with animoog again recently, it's a lot of fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah i got the street fighter locker operator as a gift and it's really fun too. so much better than the office, and prob at least as good as the tonic. and that's just with the built i. sounds - haven't even played with recording samples yet beyond "it works"

e: pocket operator. not locker. not fixing it tho

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 30, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i lost this thread for a few weeks / months. some really cool stuff in here as always. I really want a pocket operator.

here's what i've been working on:

This one is pretty far along. I'm not 100% on the structure but it works IMO. I might contact a label or something about a release. I know nothing about the music industry, at all. Literally wouldn't know where to start. Tactile:

https://soundcloud.com/midnightheir/tactile/s-c7ZWN6q8GOy

Another thing I'm working on :

https://soundcloud.com/midnightheir/1997-or-die/s-GLpBwK1ksfZ

This one is kind of still rough, hence the empty space at the end.

Both of these are 90's rave music PS1-rear end throwbacks. The other music I'm working on sounds like someone tried to mash zelda music into electro. It's going OK. xoxo thread.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
My buddy runs a little electronic label and does a radio show, that's where my song from upthread is going. He does charity Bandcamp compilations semifrequently so if you want in on one of those let me know and I can forward details. This lost recent one has a couple artists from South America on it which is real cool when you consider this is a guy in a village in Cornwall putting it together

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
loving another berry box in the 290 rack

I bought a rev2496 around 2010 when they were like 159 bucks.

I stupidly sold it off for 50 when we moved.

Just paid 209 + shipping for one still with the plastic on. That's about 50-100 bucks below easy market price.

They stole a reverb algorithm from the Kurzweil Rumor, the legend goes, and had to cease production. (I love IP-violating behr poo poo - my mixer got shitcanned after Mackie sued them for stealing the VLZ channel strip)

really really good sounding reverb, does nice multitap delays and all the chorus/phaser poo poo too. Also it can run in dual mono mode with two mono inputs running different programs, and they get summed to a single stereo out, so you can just run two aux buses from the mixer to the L/R inputs and take one stereo out (because you care about discrete sends, not returns) and have one box be both your reverb and delay when you do the mixdown.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

NonzeroCircle posted:

My buddy runs a little electronic label and does a radio show, that's where my song from upthread is going. He does charity Bandcamp compilations semifrequently so if you want in on one of those let me know and I can forward details. This lost recent one has a couple artists from South America on it which is real cool when you consider this is a guy in a village in Cornwall putting it together

this sounds cool and i am interested

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

you're on the right track

for the second one idk what you're going for but it could be melded into a good tech house jam

well why not posted:

Both of these are 90's rave music PS1-rear end throwbacks.

doesn't sound like it tbh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

that'd be sick man. i just want to get something out there. ive been saying "no" to showing people music for too long.

graph posted:

you're on the right track

for the second one idk what you're going for but it could be melded into a good tech house jam

doesn't sound like it tbh

thanks man. and yeah sprung, i was an n64 kid

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

well why not posted:

Both of these are 90's rave music PS1-rear end throwbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMum40OPp4Y

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://threeeyedcatrecords.bandcamp.com/

Here's the bandcamp I mentioned earlier, you can contact the Three -Eyed Cat via this to express interest in the next one.

I ironically completely spaced on the submission date for the first album, Whorl Clock which had the concept as 'time'

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i discovered a nice free reverb called orilriver and i made an ambient track using it https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/20210429a

don't click if you want beats and breaks

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Did you pick up Native Instrument's Raum when it was free? man that was a lush reverb

I just bought one of these...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zoJr4mCDPM
...looking forward to some algorithmic amen shredding

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

RAUM is absolutely sick. I have it on a return in my default project.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

toiletbrush posted:

Did you pick up Native Instrument's Raum when it was free? man that was a lush reverb

Noooo, I missed it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Raum owns. feeling turbo dumb that I spent so much on other reverbs

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like it more for regular reverbs but i tend to use valhallas free one whomst name eludes me run for fancy fix

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ruffian Price posted:

Raum owns. feeling turbo dumb that I spent so much on other reverbs

I accidentally got guitar rig 6 complete and it has raum. it always feels like overkill

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

well why not posted:

I like it more for regular reverbs but i tend to use valhallas free one whomst name eludes me run for fancy fix

i have both of thse but hardly ever use them because the stock reverb in my daw does plenty good for me. i suppose i should give them another chance then

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah the stock Live reverb still sounds great. Supermassive / Raum are just extra cool. Supermassive also feels like ... kinda playable with the huge knobs and ping pong effect

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Although it feels strange loading it on non-guitar tracks, I really appreciate how Guitar Rig hosts a bunch of stuff I don't have separately/otherwise in my version of Komplete.
The RC reverbs and Supercharger GT for example.

Also, n'thing Raum, I picked it up when it was free and although it can get really weird it's also a great normal reverb.

Having said that, I've been using the smallest shittiest version of Roomworks (Cubase stock verb) a lot on drums because its crispy and gross. Wet all the way up, smallest possible reverb time sounds great on percussion

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Do you mean short as in short snappy decay time? Or small delay length? I love the sound of lovely reverbs when you bring the delay time down but the feedback/decay right up so it maximises any ringing or resonant characters of the reverb. SilverVerb in Logic with crazy compression/enveloping afterwards works really well, its got a lovely inharmonic sort of bell sound to it.

ChromaVerb otoh is the most boring reverb ever. It's right in the sweet spot of not good enough to be good like Raum but not bad enough to be interesting.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
the stock ableton fx are way too good. i basically haven't used anything else for yeeeears. especially with regards to how fast it is to dial 'em in on the Push 2.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Although it feels strange loading it on non-guitar tracks, I really appreciate how Guitar Rig hosts a bunch of stuff I don't have separately/otherwise in my version of Komplete.
The RC reverbs and Supercharger GT for example.

Also, n'thing Raum, I picked it up when it was free and although it can get really weird it's also a great normal reverb.

Having said that, I've been using the smallest shittiest version of Roomworks (Cubase stock verb) a lot on drums because its crispy and gross. Wet all the way up, smallest possible reverb time sounds great on percussion

if you have guitar rig, the gratifier amp, set to clean, with the gain set on the lower third or so is in my opinion the best amp across the whole thing for only-just breakup and it sounds good with guitar of course but if you want to put something on drums for a bit of overdrive or saturation can i suggest you try that amp and channel

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

echinopsis posted:

if you have guitar rig, the gratifier amp, set to clean, with the gain set on the lower third or so is in my opinion the best amp across the whole thing for only-just breakup and it sounds good with guitar of course but if you want to put something on drums for a bit of overdrive or saturation can i suggest you try that amp and channel

Ooh good idea!
When I had my first drum machine way back when I only had either my bass or guitar amps to play it back through so I got acclimatised to the gnarl and weird voicing off the speakers and the first time I tried it with headphones it was like a totally different instrument hearing the whole frequency range.

My Drumbrute Impact arrived today (and a little behringer line mixer as I have only 2 inputs on my interface too many things I want to hear at once) so I guess brace yourselves for more distorted stuff soon.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
with drums it can also be fruitful to, instead of using comp/distortion as an insert, to put it on a send. Just set up some absolutely brickwall compressor or a Metal Zone from Hell distortion on an aux bus and mix it in with clean. Crank the send level and use the return for the level control so you can keep the signal in the input range for the dynamics you want. Can add a lot of color and harmonics without trashing the attack of the drums themselves

Every single track I get to the mastering stage i do an aux bus compressor set to 2002 CD Mastering Levels of compression and fade it in till it adds body and interest. then the whole mix gets gentle comp and limiting.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

c midlife crisis status: bought a pioneer usb dj controller

i learned on a regular dumb rear end crossfader with broken poo poo and this has way more knobs so i'm getting used to that

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Distortion sends are the secret weapon for percussion, vocals, everything.
Izotope Trash 2 is so Boss (no pun), I think everyone should have it, it's frequently on sale or included in bundles.

Share Bear you just got "crossfader dominator" playing in my head, as probably last heard by anyone ever on Thrasher: Skate and Destroy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Ooh good idea!
When I had my first drum machine way back when I only had either my bass or guitar amps to play it back through so I got acclimatised to the gnarl and weird voicing off the speakers and the first time I tried it with headphones it was like a totally different instrument hearing the whole frequency range.

oh yeah the cab simulation alone is something worthwhile playing it

this whole conversation is why audio enginneering
stuff is such a fruitless wormhole for me:

it’s the same with blender, ive said many times that I am great at learning how software works and knob fiddling, only with blender my graphics are ok but with music my results are poo poo lol.

BBBBUUTTT they do have interesting things going on and all sorts of sends and re routes and mixing in a touch of this effect or creating a crossover and having the low mid and high parts of a track have delay with different delay times etc

none of it sounds particularly good but I can wrangle that poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Voltra just uses one saturator on their master channel, set to soft clip. that’s it.

saturation is basically special sauce that once you “get” how it works, you find increasing amounts of places to put it. drum bus, lead synths, vocal chain, snares. all decent options

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DibYSBpg1wk

Quick n dirty phone video of jamming out Come To Daddy on my Microfreak and new Drumbrute Impact

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 15, 2021

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jonny 290 posted:

with drums it can also be fruitful to, instead of using comp/distortion as an insert, to put it on a send. Just set up some absolutely brickwall compressor or a Metal Zone from Hell distortion on an aux bus and mix it in with clean. Crank the send level and use the return for the level control so you can keep the signal in the input range for the dynamics you want. Can add a lot of color and harmonics without trashing the attack of the drums themselves

Every single track I get to the mastering stage i do an aux bus compressor set to 2002 CD Mastering Levels of compression and fade it in till it adds body and interest. then the whole mix gets gentle comp and limiting.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Distortion sends are the secret weapon for percussion, vocals, everything.
Izotope Trash 2 is so Boss (no pun), I think everyone should have it, it's frequently on sale or included in bundles.

Share Bear you just got "crossfader dominator" playing in my head, as probably last heard by anyone ever on Thrasher: Skate and Destroy

yes yes parallel comp and saturation are my secret weapon on drums, also i have an LA-2A comp i love the sound of on drums. it's set up in my default project and dialed in to exactly the way i like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

Voltra just uses one saturator on their master channel, set to soft clip. that’s it.

saturation is basically special sauce that once you “get” how it works, you find increasing amounts of places to put it. drum bus, lead synths, vocal chain, snares. all decent options

what is saturation meant to be anyway, would you say its the sound of a tube amp being pushed just past clean?

One thing I am finding interesting is when I am trying to dial in amp sounds.

Using guitar rig 6, I really like the chug sound I can get from the gratifier (mesa/boogie dual rectifier clone), also from the ultrasonic (not sure what that's a clone of), and a new amp with guitar rig 6 is firebreather which is awesome.

Now, individually I can get some nice chug sounds from each of these amps, but when I try to mix them together, I just can't find a nice balance. I suppose I had just presumed that I could blend my good sounds and get the best of every world.. but I am now thinking that's not necessarily true.

Suppose if I could really be bothered, perhaps I could discover that the top end of one mixed with the bottom of another would be superior. OR crosser my input signal for similar but different effect.

I had always idolised a mesa boogie dual rec so I really wanted to love the clone in guitar rig. the clean channel sounds so good when it's just breaking up, and the raw channel pushed moderately is very nice. the "vintage" channel which isn't very vintage sounding is quite good but only if it's not pushed too hard, and the modern channel is a bit rubbish.

but there's so much to change, I really understand now how much the eq changes the sound. I had always read that especially on an amp like this that small changes lead to big output changes, but am now starting to see how. I think it's because for example, if you increase the mids, you're not just increasing the mids, but somewhat leaving less room for the bass and treble, so the character change that comes out is more than just increasing the mids. I think anyway.

I record myself chugging away and etc into the pre tape deck thing and play it back on a loop, and with my eyes closed dial each knob up and down until it sounds the best.. and this is easy to do if there was only one knob, but the implication with how this amp works is that yes now I have found the ideal bass knob position, but it's the ideal position when the other knobs are where they are, so then when you change the mids, the bass knob is not ideal anymore. an analogy is tuning a floyd-rose in that every change you make changes everything else, so the process of getting every knob into an ideal position at the same time is a challenge! because unlike tuning the floyd rose there is no set standard when you know you've got it right. anwayy.

Jonny 290 posted:

interesting.. i'm going to try to A/B this kind of approach vs pushing the entire channel into a borderline overdriven amp and seeing the kinds of differences produced here.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah subtle distortion, tube amp style. that said some saturation is merely soft clip style, some is full on waveshaper destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am
drat close to getting a hydra synth fuckkkk