Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think Uwe has only made like 5 video game adaptations, and Paul W. S. Anderson has made more Resident Evil movies than that alone

looking at his IMDB he's done at least 9, like there's apparently 3 different BloodRayne movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
well I think we can agree that they both make a lot of really lovely movies

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just blind-bought the movie Coma for pretty cheap based solely on the :krad: trailer, how badly did I gently caress up?

https://youtu.be/9BHrWpvO_NY

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

This is definitely a problem with play adaptations at large. It can work with something like Killer Joe because of its inherent irreverence and pulpiness. But not so much when you're dealing with works that command real respect. Taking the words and scenarios of someone as revered as August Wilson, and cutting them to be more cinematic is an unsavory task. It smacks of sacrilege. But leave the script as it is, and you're left with something that's not really a good movie. It would better if people didn't bother. A great play is great because it is a live, communal ritual. Actors, audience, crew, everyone involved is at each other's mercy. Every performance. And it often fails. But when it succeeds, it is something that no cinema magic can ever recreate. Hopefully people will realize this and live theater will have some chance of thriving again.

On the topic of sacrilege, it helps that it's Denzel Washington who has taken up a mission to bring Wilson's body of work to the big screen. I support him insofar as it will bring about more awareness of Wilson's original work, but if these outings are what they have to show for it, I'm concerned that it will leave people disinterested in engaging further.

And on your point about the thriving of live theatre, I can think of one very big reason people aren't in the mood for it these days, the waning popularity of the medium besides.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mechafunkzilla posted:

well I think we can agree that they both make a lot of really lovely movies

The Resident Evil movies are good

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The Resident Evil movies are good

I only watched the first one, how do the rest compare?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They vary, like the one in a prison is a bit of a low point for the series. But they are largely fun silly action romps with Milla Jovovich slow motion kicking monsters.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

The Klowner posted:

On the topic of sacrilege, it helps that it's Denzel Washington who has taken up a mission to bring Wilson's body of work to the big screen. I support him insofar as it will bring about more awareness of Wilson's original work, but if these outings are what they have to show for it, I'm concerned that it will leave people disinterested in engaging further.

And on your point about the thriving of live theatre, I can think of one very big reason people aren't in the mood for it these days, the waning popularity of the medium besides.

I didn't know it was an official mission of Denzel's. But if that's the case, then he's definitely the man for the job. This also has led me to find out about the Joel Coen-directed Macbeth movie he's going to be in with Frances McDormand. Pretty bored of Macbeth by now, but that should be interesting.

And COVID has unquestionably made theater less financially feasible than ever, but if anything I think it's put people MORE in the mood to go see theater. Will that pent-up interest be enough to save the artform? We'll just have to see how things play out.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you didn't like the first one, you'll find the rest of the series a detestable slog.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I still haven't seen Nomadland but was thinking of checking it out tonight.

However, must agree with the "commercials can't be melancholy" sentiment. Marketers love invoking negativity in careful ways because it gives the sense that they're being honest. How many ads have you seen that reflect attitudes of "You slave, you fight, you deal with the harsh brutal nature of life as we know it on this Earth. But at the end of the day, it's worth it. Because you earned it. Time to kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer, watch a little Mork and Mindy on Channel 57. You're good, fine people."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xenomrph posted:

I just blind-bought the movie Coma for pretty cheap based solely on the :krad: trailer, how badly did I gently caress up?

https://youtu.be/9BHrWpvO_NY

IDK, you should watch Coma 1978 instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUxB2l6N_Q

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Correct, but also, it rules

It's one of those movies that's technically good but it makes your skin crawl and you feel like maybe it's something you shouldn't have watched. Like Compliance or Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. I won't ever watch any of those again. Compliance might be the most disturbing movie I've ever seen not just because of the content but also because it's really accurate to the real incident. It's such a blunt depiction of how easily people can be deceived into doing terrible poo poo, especially when a so-called authority figure is involved.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Brayton's review is good and it calls to mind stuff like BP doing commercials about people rescuing beached seabirds covered in oil and talking about Your Carbon Footprint. Pure manipulation.

Tobacco compaines pay for those obnoxious PSAs which I think might be a attempt to make anti-smoking people look like douchebags. The worst one I've ever seen is one where they say if you smoke you'll be impotent, a black guy will steal your girlfriend, and you turn gay. I wish I was exaggerating. It's repulsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwyY6op9Bbk

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Anybody have anything nice to say about August Osage County? I don’t, because I don’t remember anything about it besides “eat the fish, bitch.” What is it with Letts and the coercive consumption of fish/poultry?

The movie sucks, especially compared to the play. But whoever cast Chris Cooper and Benedict Cumberbatch as father and son is a genius, Cumberbatch's accent notwithstanding.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys like movies, right?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1387032409380724737?s=20

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I don't get the Nomadland takes in here. It was a bleak look at capitalism and how it extracts from the marginalized and hopeless. All of these people are over 50 and they've done a whole lot of living but are still working temporary gigs for Amazon. How is that an ideal situation for anyone? These people are already chewed up and spat out, and they're still being chewed up by Amazon and are in the process of being spat out again for very little in return. One person dies in the movie with practically nothing.

Sure, Chloe Zhao could've drilled into Amazon for two hours. She's doing something different by trying to get the audience to empathize with the broken people in the movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

rngd in the womb posted:

I don't get the Nomadland takes in here. It was a bleak look at capitalism and how it extracts from the marginalized and hopeless. All of these people are over 50 and they've done a whole lot of living but are still working temporary gigs for Amazon. How is that an ideal situation for anyone? These people are already chewed up and spat out, and they're still being chewed up by Amazon and are in the process of being spat out again for very little in return. One person dies in the movie with practically nothing.

Sure, Chloe Zhao could've drilled into Amazon for two hours. She's doing something different by trying to get the audience to empathize with the broken people in the movie.

And yet the scene where Jeff Bezos is torn apart by a horde of his employees like in Return of the Living Dead was left on the cutting room floor. Curious.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 28, 2021

Segue
May 23, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not every movie can or should be a political manifesto, but I think one of the issues with Nomadland is that the post-industrial nightmare that is much of the US today is presented as just a natural progression of things rather than an outcome that is a result of decisions by humans.

"poo poo is terrible, might as well go piss in a bottle" just doesn't come off as a particularly meaningful theme for a movie.

Yeah this puts succintly my reservations of the movie (that I still liked). It's more about the hardiness of the American spirit to get through tough times while leaving unexamined that those times are completely preventable. Like this isn't weathering through a drought on your farm, this is not an opportunity to write an ode to American grit.

Plus while Amazon isn't shown all sunshine and rainbows, it's still shown as reasonable work which literally everything we know about Amazon's horrendous labour practices is not true.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has anybody seen TCM’s programming schedule lately? They’re just playing every movie they have the rights to in alphabetical order. It’s bizarre. Did some important programmer get laid off?

Edit: looks like it’s all part of their 31 days of oscar thing.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 28, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think Uwe has only made like 5 video game adaptations, and Paul W. S. Anderson has made more Resident Evil movies than that alone

Late last year I was on bedrest for a few weeks, and I wound up watching the Resident Evil series in its entirety. I still maintain that the first movie is a pretty decent, if occasionally janky, horror movie. The second is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I cannot tell you a single thing about the rest of the series, they all blend together in my memory, all I know is that Russell "Highlander" Mulcahy directed at least one of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So is Nomadland actually worth watching and if so what thing lets you pay money to watch it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

So is Nomadland actually worth watching and if so what thing lets you pay money to watch it?

Yes, and Hulu.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Haven’t seen Nomadland but that is no poo poo a great way for a corporation to advertise themselves. The dread victor gracefully and earnestly eulogizing the vanquished past, offering what little hope they can to the powerless disaffected, and making a ton of cash in the process.

Having seen the movie, it's not "celebratory" in the slightest; however, it doesn't challenge anyone's notions of Amazon's place in and cause of the distress all the main characters are feeling, so as a result it rings sort of hollow. The way Nomadland views Amazon - as sort of an omnipresent fixture within the story - and doesn't really reflect on or challenge its placement is one of the movie's central failings.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Yes, and Hulu.

Oh poo poo, welcome back. How are you doing?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I get the importance of it to the story, being the reliable place to get a job for this massive segment of the population, but like, the movie spends all of ten minutes with her at Amazon. It sounds like most of the criticism is from people who either haven’t seen it or just really hate Amazon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nomadland is good, it just wasn't really the best movie of last year. But in direct comparison to what it was up against, and how badly the Oscars could've hosed it up if they went with Promising Young loving Woman, I'm fine with it taking home the hardware. It wasn't the best movie; it certainly wasn't the worst. It's absolutely the "safe" choice to go with for Best Picture.

yoohoo posted:

I get the importance of it to the story, being the reliable place to get a job for this massive segment of the population, but like, the movie spends all of ten minutes with her at Amazon. It sounds like most of the criticism is from people who either haven’t seen it or just really hate Amazon.

The movie spends all of ten minutes with Fern literally anywhere and interacting with anyone, though. That's kind of the guiding narrative conceit of the film.

Amazon has the rare distinction of being a place Fern works at that she returns to multiple times. It helps frame the movie, it's the first job we see her work and one of the last. It's absolutely meant to be a guiding point of the film, a fixture within it.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 28, 2021

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

NieR Occomata posted:

Having seen the movie, it's not "celebratory" in the slightest; however, it doesn't challenge anyone's notions of Amazon's place in and cause of the distress all the main characters are feeling, so as a result it rings sort of hollow. The way Nomadland views Amazon - as sort of an omnipresent fixture within the story - and doesn't really reflect on or challenge its placement is one of the movie's central failings.

Yeah I was posting under the idea that Nomadland was an actual Amazon Production. Now I see it’s a Disney.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Was Promising Young Woman no good? I didn't see it but I thought it was well-received.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

Oh poo poo, welcome back. How are you doing?

I have had a pattern of two weeks at home and two (or more) weeks in the hospital for much of the past 14 months or so. But I'm still kicking and they haven't talked about putting me into hospice care, so I'll take that as a victory.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Was Promising Young Woman no good? I didn't see it but I thought it was well-received.

I thought it was pretty fun.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've seen some really good takedowns of it.

I didn't hate it, but the very end of the film is bonkers bad and really soured my opinion.

It's also a movie that would have been much better if it leaned into the trashy genre concept instead of trying to "elevate" it.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I thought it was really good but I've seen a few people on this forum hate/dislike it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's a decent chance you'll hate it, but it's interesting and well-made enough to be worth a watch anyways

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I couldn't stand that film. For a movie that's all about #GirlBoss #MeToo poo poo, it's pretty telling that the single best performance and character in the movie is the generic white dude love interest.

And yeah, it's a campy revenge film that tries to be deeper than it is, completely fails at doing so, and ends up being the worst of both worlds. That movie is so bad. So, so bad.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 28, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It’s really good. I love Occ here but he gets very angry and hates things extremely easily

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I didn't like PYM either, particularly the end (which isn't surprising given that it was intended to be divisive). It also has some really poor GARDEN STATE-esque shot compositions that irked me far more than they should have.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
PYW isn’t a schlocky revenge flick because no rapists die, isn’t female empowerment because it’s about a woman’s self-destruction, isn’t a character tragedy because it ends in a “heroic suicide,” isn’t a grand indictment of rape culture because our protagonist makes someone believe they were raped and then at the end the cops save the day.

It’s a film that wears so many hats it says nothing in the end. And yes, a lot of the directing is just embarrassing.

e: This was my favorite essay on the film, though I’ll warn you it spoils the entire thing.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 28, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NieR Occomata posted:

Nomadland is good, it just wasn't really the best movie of last year. But in direct comparison to what it was up against, and how badly the Oscars could've hosed it up if they went with Promising Young loving Woman, I'm fine with it taking home the hardware. It wasn't the best movie; it certainly wasn't the worst. It's absolutely the "safe" choice to go with for Best Picture.

The movie spends all of ten minutes with Fern literally anywhere and interacting with anyone, though. That's kind of the guiding narrative conceit of the film.

Amazon has the rare distinction of being a place Fern works at that she returns to multiple times. It helps frame the movie, it's the first job we see her work and one of the last. It's absolutely meant to be a guiding point of the film, a fixture within it.

rngd in the womb posted:

rngd in the womb posted:

I generally agree with these. The softness with which Amazon was treated did ring a little false, although compared to some of the other work she does (like shovelling sugar beets it's not such bad work. The point I took was that this is now what is considered good work. The work is not shown as especially easy, or like they have great lives while doing it. It's seasonal. They live in camper vans and mobile homes. It's pretty tough. Compare that to what she left: a company town, lifetime employment, company housing, facilities, a community. The difference is very stark and one does not have to be critical of Amazon and its horrible practises for that comparison to still apply. If Amazon is now considered to be good employment it makes that comparison that much starker. I have no problem with any of Nomadland's wins - it was one of the stand-outs for me.

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't like PYM either, particularly the end (which isn't surprising given that it was intended to be divisive). It also has some really poor GARDEN STATE-esque shot compositions that irked me far more than they should have.

LesterGroans posted:

I've seen some really good takedowns of it.

I didn't hate it, but the very end of the film is bonkers bad and really soured my opinion.

It's also a movie that would have been much better if it leaned into the trashy genre concept instead of trying to "elevate" it.

I didn't hate it but I did not love it either, and I am slightly baffled at the critical and audience adoration. It didn't quite work, it's pretty crudely done, and it isn't quite a clever as it thinks it is (said pot to kettle). A lot of the characters are caricatures and I don't think they are intended to be. It's worth watching but with lowered expectations. The further away I got from it the less I liked it (not that I loved it at the time).

Pirate Jet posted:

PYW isn’t a schlocky revenge flick because no rapists die, isn’t female empowerment because it’s about a woman’s self-destruction, isn’t a character tragedy because it ends in a “heroic suicide,” isn’t a grand indictment of rape culture because our protagonist makes someone believe they were raped and then at the end the cops save the day.

It’s a film that wears so many hats it says nothing in the end. And yes, a lot of the directing is just embarrassing.

e: This was my favorite essay on the film, though I’ll warn you it spoils the entire thing.

That essay is very good.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 28, 2021

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

therattle posted:

I didn't hate it but I did not love it either, and I am slightly baffled at the critical and audience adoration. It didn't quite work, it's pretty crudely done, and it isn't quite a clever as it thinks it is (said pot to kettle). A lot of the characters are caricatures and I don't think they are intended to be. It's worth watching but with lowered expectations. The further away I got from it the less I liked it (not that I loved it at the time).

Absolutely. To the film's credit, it does a great job casting the men in the movie, with Bo Burnham maybe being the best part of the whole thing.

But again they really should have had her killing off Adam Brody and McLovin and whatnot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The casting for the guys was so fuckin spot-on, especially Burnham

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not even that the movie should be a foam at the mouth screed against Amazon, it's that Amazon quite literally promotes their role in this grueling hellscape: https://www.amazondelivers.jobs/about/camperforce/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
What if Nomadland's ending ringing hollow was precisely the point? Empire was the American Dream to Fern, and that became a nightmare that haunts her. She shuffles around on the margins and comes back to Empire. It's a ghost town, and the American Dream is now hollow. Everything is poo poo. There's nothing else for Fern, only her family that might never understand her torments.

Movies should obviously be responsible if they are taking on capitalism and bloodthirsty corporations such as Amazon (or mentioning them, or making them into plot devices). I just think that criticisms can be made in a bunch of ways and with different tones. Chloe Zhao didn't want to be fiery and made the movie she wanted to make. That's cool! There's other movies like Sorry to Bother You that takes up this task anyways.