Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

el B posted:

Star Citizen will continue to revolutionize the gaming industry by offering monthly insurance premiums for all in-game vehicles.

that was literally the sales pitch. Early backers were going to get "LTI" (lifetime insurance) on their vehicles as a thank you for believing in the project. Plebs who cane later would have to insure them on an ongoing basis, for a fee (ingame money I think but then they sell ingame money for real $$$ so...)

insurance for your MMO spaceships is a normal part of that kind of game though, both EVE and Elite have it as a game mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Every time you fail a mission in Star Citizen you're treated to a still image of your character suffering the "bad end" of a hentai game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Every time you fail a mission in Star Citizen you're treated to a still image of your character suffering the "bad end" of a hentai game.

what a clever way to avoid needing to finish working on the end of the campaign, as nobody will ever reach it

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'll be able to play Elite Dangerous in VR inside of SC, right?

I'm still waiting...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone here actually play it? Like... what do you even do in the game at this point?

.random
May 7, 2007

“Play” is a strong word

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Does anyone here actually play it? Like... what do you even do in the game at this point?

Whatever you want Citizen, welcome to the 'verse. Now load this box onto my ship while I watch an opera in space and eat virtual steak.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sigher posted:

I think I speak for NEARLY everyone here in saying that no, we don't "play" it even if such a thing were possible. I know some folks in the thread have checked it out from curiosity but I'm not a fan of enormous, buggy student project-quality garbage files with no actual game/gameplay inside

.random posted:

“Play” is a strong word

Why thank you!! That's so kind of you to say

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Don Gato posted:

virtual steak.

Is a sad and horrible and wonderful username.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

its_my_birthday posted:

if you pay 80 bucks for that atv and it blows up is it gone forever or is it like an mmo mount or something where you can just respawn it whenever
My understanding (never played/"played") is that you can always respawn vehicles you bought, but there is a cooldown timer. Unclear how it works for ships bought with in-game credits though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sigher posted:

I guess they added trolley carts recently

https://v.redd.it/1boz79ts20s61/DASH_480.mp4

https://v.redd.it/dcl8x3a9bks61/DASH_480.mp4

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Is there anything in SC that doesn't explode?

That shopping cart from the first clip is floating a million miles out in space somewhere. You know this.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Well that was a million dollars well spent. Obviously the field of luggage trolley simulation is still in its infancy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I can't wait until I can fully live out my fantasy of being a redcap on a distant moon, pushing around luggage for wealthy jet-setters.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that trolley looks big enough for my sons and me to transport a few of our limbless captives

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
If I dropped a thousand bucks on this game I'd never stop defending it, full sunk cost. Realising you got scammed good money for that would be too much to bear.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Killed by trolley explosion. Now there's a way to die.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

.random posted:

I’m reading this as some sort of euphemism for “going to the Martian opera and watching in-‘Verse news from the comfort of my space home,” right?

quote:

Why are the lore locations and services mentioned in the Chairmans' Club Handbook not in the Galactapedia, it seems to me that since you included them in the lore already they should be low hanging fruit - copy and paste from the book:

Visangio
Sharrington Cross
Epulae Dining
Imperial Access
Murray Tower, Aydo - Green
Port Renatus Metropolitan Opera House, Mars - Sol
Fashion Week, Prime - Terra III
Lagora Island Chateau, Tangeroa - Helios

It's kinda depressing to think that all this could be just made up stuff to fill a glossy book and there was never a plan to have them in the game. If they are going into the game then why not put them in the Galactapedia so that people can at least see the future scope of what is to come? I'd really like to know if one day I could virtually go to the Opera on Mars. CIG did it for the Gatsby video. If they did a live performance streamed into the game I'd by a ticket for that.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Mirificus posted:

made up stuff to fill a glossy book and there was never a plan to have them in the game

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Internetjack posted:

That shopping cart from the first clip is floating a million miles out in space somewhere.

It’s actually only about six feet away; it’s just that the shopping cart is a picometer long.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:lol:

I'm loving weak, this honestly looks like it would be fun as one of those Human Fall Flat/Gangbeasts/Fallguys type games where you barely have any control over your character but you have to complete delicate tasks. Looks like they'd do better as a comedic game more than anything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd play a janky mall adventures game.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

sigher posted:

:lol:

I'm loving weak, this honestly looks like it would be fun as one of those Human Fall Flat/Gangbeasts/Fallguys type games where you barely have any control over your character but you have to complete delicate tasks. Looks like they'd do better as a comedic game more than anything else.

You are a trolley pusher, working at a space port... for time travelers! Your trolley has become a bit unstuck in time. The only way to fix it is to to always keep it in the exact place in time and space that it is supposed to occupy. Manually. You have to move the trolley along the exact path it is meant to/will take at the exact speed it is meant to/will have. If you go too fast, or too slow, or pause, or don't pause when you should, the trolley will violently destroy the laws of time and space.

.random
May 7, 2007

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

You are a trolley pusher, working at a space port... for time travelers! Your trolley has become a bit unstuck in time. The only way to fix it is to to always keep it in the exact place in time and space that it is supposed to occupy. Manually. You have to move the trolley along the exact path it is meant to/will take at the exact speed it is meant to/will have. If you go too fast, or too slow, or pause, or don't pause when you should, the trolley will violently destroy the laws of time and space.

:five:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Congrats, you have officially put more thought into a compelling gameplay loop than the star citizen devs.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hahahahah that second one hahaha

Just make a trolley cart in space simulator at this point - it'll be infinitely more entertaining than whatever poo poo they crap out

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Many's the time when I was playing Mass Effect that I lamented how much more immersive the game could have been if only it included fully-simulated luggage trolleys.

Of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these: "it might have been."

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Lol, this exceeded my expectations. I actually love this game. Not as high fidelity as Goat Stimulator, but the physics seem to be on par.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope this game actually does ship but it still has ridiculous physics bugs like this and they can be used for PVP griefing.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I just love to think about the meeting where the devs are trying to decide what features to put into their space MMO game next and somehow "put cargo trolleys into the game" made it in there before "made ship to ship combat a thing" or any of the other million things that would make this a fun game.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

InternetJunky posted:

I just love to think about the meeting where the devs are trying to decide what features to put into their space MMO game next and somehow "put cargo trolleys into the game" made it in there before "made ship to ship combat a thing" or any of the other million things that would make this a fun game.

You want to see some ship-to-ship fireworks? Teleport a cargo trolley aboard the enemy vessel and watch the ensuing explosion take out half the solar system.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

InternetJunky posted:

This is like the first episode of Mythic Quest, where this egomaniacal MMO producer has decided that the next great update to his game will be... a shovel.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Internetjack posted:

Is there anything in SC that doesn't explode?

probably most ship's ordinance at this point

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Technically, I don't think they have gotten commandos to explode yet, either. I'm sure that will be changed in yet another pointless broken patch, though.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Can a person LOVE Star Citizen without actually playing it? posted:

I'm infatuated with Star Citizen and what it's becoming and will become. I'm well aware of the kind of "matrix" that CR and TonyZ have in mind and I'm convinced that it will get there in due course.

As it sits now, just the cinematic quality of the world is extraordinary and breathtaking.

I'm an entry level backer - Avenger Titan.

But I just can't seem to squeeze in the time for the learning curve to get into the game and start exploring.

I feel kinda stupid following it all and loving it so much, without actually playing it. Is that ok, do you think?

Do you have any suggestions for getting into it and getting over the initial learning curve hump?

Any resources for a newbie to get started that you'd recommend?

I have two thrustmaster sticks, a pretty good gaming PC, a super ultra wide monitor, great microphone headset with mic. Got what I need.

I feel like around now is about the right time to get started. Appreciate any help and support. Thanks.

P.S. Naysayers and SC haters - please don't respond to this post. We all know what you think, and I for one am sick of the nattering, whining, bitching, moaning and complaints, most of which seem disingenuous and inauthentic anyway, and I just love what I'm seeing taking shape and won't be dissuaded, so save it.

quote:

Yea I mean I think alot of us buy more into the hype of the game, story of the in game and out of game world, and the hope of things to come. You're not weird to us you're only weird to the others =). I'd type more but on my phone.

quote:

Hell yeah I loved it for 4 years before buying and playing. Then I loved it even more.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's me, I'm the guys who followed a game in early access for four years and it was still clearly a shitshow but I bought in and man am I happy!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Honestly, I kinda envy their capacity to be so thrilled with so little

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
This game is literally too boring for me to stand. I can’t bring myself to play it. I love it!
-star citizens

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

Honestly, I kinda envy their capacity to be so thrilled with so little

Ignorance truly is bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Whenever I wonder how anyone could possibly think Donald Trump was a competent president and a loving husband, I remember that Star Citizen is still going strong.

Given enough momentum, any product, be it a racist shitbag or a non-existent game, can enjoy blind faith and devotion. As to why, I cannot say.