Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hori is too competent and self-aware of an artist to just accidentally do sameface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hori is too competent and self-aware of an artist to just accidentally do sameface.

I think it's even more notable since one of his big virtues is diversity of design. You can tell most of the cast apart just by looking at their eyes.

Someone looking like Bakugo has a reason to look like Bakugo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

I think it's even more notable since one of his big virtues is diversity of design. You can tell most of the cast apart just by looking at their eyes.

Someone looking like Bakugo has a reason to look like Bakugo.

He honestly only really looks like Bakugo in that one image. Muscular looks more like Bakugo to me.

Like take a few images from later in the chapter and he does not really match him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
One flaw with the Bakugo theory: every user of One For All has a number in their name that's based on which wielder they are. Does Bakugo fit?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

One flaw with the Bakugo theory: every user of One For All has a number in their name that's based on which wielder they are. Does Bakugo fit?

To be clear, I wasn't saying he was Bakugo. There's no "Ni" in Katsuki Bakugo, after all.

Just was saying there was probably something Horikoshi was intentionally invoking with the visual comparison.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, what

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yoichi Shigaraki

Hikage Shinomori
Daigoro Banjo
En (?)
Nana Shimura
Toshinori Yagi (?) e: his name apparently has the kanji for eight in it (木俊典)
Izuku Midoriya

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
He ain't the fifth, so no.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Yoichi Shigaraki

Hikage Shinomori
Daigoro Banjo
En (?)
Nana Shimura
Toshinori Yagi (?)
Izuku Midoriya

Toshinori Yagi has the kanji for eight as the "Ya" when spelled out.

Japanese is a language astonishingly rich in puns.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah and the kanji for two isn't in Bakugo's na...

Wait...

爆豪勝

by god we've cracked it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Puns and visual gags that only work in other languages is some real Dan Brown poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

... Shigaraki Tomura. But his real name is...

Shimura Tenko.

Deku will give Tenko OFA so Decay has enough power to fully disintegrate All For One. Tenko finally gets to be a hero in his last moments, and Deku returns to being Quirkless at the end of the story, having become the greatest hero -- one willing to sacrifice even his own heroicness.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty much every single name in MHA is some kind of pun. I recall Horikoshi being particularly proud of Uraraka's name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kyte posted:

Pretty much every single name in MHA is some kind of pun. I recall Horikoshi being particularly proud of Uraraka's name.

What’s the pun in Ochako’s full name?

And for that matter, what does the name Tsuyu Asui have to do with frogs?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shimura Tenko.

Deku will give Tenko OFA so Decay has enough power to fully disintegrate All For One. Tenko finally gets to be a hero in his last moments, and Deku returns to being Quirkless at the end of the story, having become the greatest hero -- one willing to sacrifice even his own heroicness.

Oh no.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shimura Tenko.

i hope this stays a theory because that would be dumb as gently caress.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

having the number/name pun arbitrarily switch from Japanese to English is weird.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

What’s the pun in Ochako’s full name?

And for that matter, what does the name Tsuyu Asui have to do with frogs?

From wiki

quote:

Tsuyu's surname contains the kanji for "frog" (蛙 a?) and "puff" (吹 sui?), and her first name contains "plum" (梅 tsu?) and "rain" (雨 yu?).
When written together, the kanji in Tsuyu's first name translates to "rainy season" (梅雨 tsuyu?).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, what’s the pun on Uraraka’s name then (I assume it has something to do with gravity)?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Neat, what’s the pun on Uraraka’s name then (I assume it has something to do with gravity)?

quote:

Ochaco's hero name, Uravity (ウラビティ Urabiti?), comes from Gravity (グラビティ Gurabiti?) without the "g", and can be derived from her full name by combining Ura (麗 urara?), bi (日?) (which can also be read as ka), and "tea" (茶, read as cha in her name).
Ochaco's surname contains the kanji for "beautiful, lovely" (麗 urara?) and "day" (日 ka?), and her first name contains "tea" (お茶 ocha?) and "child" (子 ko?).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's also pecha kucha, which is the onomatopoeia for chit-chat/pleasant conversation, though that one might not be intentional.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've been watching the anime and just finished season 4, does the manga have more of like the school stuff where they just chill and interact?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm sorry to tell you this, but currently at this point in the Manga Deku has left UA and we're in the final act of the story. The Class 1-A and 1-B team battle training is the last time you'll see the entire class interact.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 27, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Boba Pearl posted:

I've been watching the anime and just finished season 4, does the manga have more of like the school stuff where they just chill and interact?

Yeah, it was weird when they dropped the entire league of villains plot but at this point I’m weirdly compelled by the slice of life stuff although the current plot line where Momo gets hooked on caffeine pills is a bit of a miss imo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Hagakure arc was pretty good

...I think

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vinylshadow posted:

The Hagakure arc was pretty good

...I think

Every time I try to sketch Class 1A from memory, when it comes to Hagakure I'm drawing a blank

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, it was weird when they dropped the entire league of villains plot but at this point I’m weirdly compelled by the slice of life stuff although the current plot line where Momo gets hooked on caffeine pills is a bit of a miss imo

lol

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really like how the chapter's aesthetics borrows a lot from western comics. From the chapter opening with the city shrouded in darkness while it rains heavily, to Deku brooding on top of a tower while overlooking the dark and dangerous city below him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I guess we're in the Dark Age now, which would make the time between All Might's retirement and the major war arc the Bronze Age.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I guess we're in the Dark Age now, which would make the time between All Might's retirement and the major war arc the Bronze Age.
Huh. Yeah, probably. Which adds credence to the theory that the way Deku is going to become the greatest hero in the world by distributing One For All in a way that creates a Renaissance.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
condolences to the guy who gets danger sense and nothing else.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Deku gives OFA to the world except it turns out it only makes everyone slightly stronger physically.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

girl dick energy posted:

Huh. Yeah, probably. Which adds credence to the theory that the way Deku is going to become the greatest hero in the world by distributing One For All in a way that creates a Renaissance.

Given that we just learned that the stronger it gets, the more it drains the life force of the holder, spreading it around to a bunch of people sounds like a horrible idea.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Given that we just learned that the stronger it gets, the more it drains the life force of the holder, spreading it around to a bunch of people sounds like a horrible idea.
No, see, that's why it works. It'll just burn out and destroy one person, but if the power is distributed among many people, who can in turn spread it to others, the Quirk Singularity will happen in a way where everyone can help keep the world a safe place.

(At least in theory.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
instead of superpowers everyone just gets a ghost Deku in their head sternly lecturing them if they do anything bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

We never see characters' feet from this point on and Stain gets his own solo series.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rhonne posted:

I don't even think it's a function of as it gets stronger it kills the user faster since it didn't do that to All Might and it's not doing it to Deku. I'm reading it more as like your physiology has room for 1 quirk and exceeding that causes your body to deteriorate without some kind of physical modification, but if you're quirkless then the whole of One for All gets counted as a single quirk and it molds to your body/your body molds to it. Assuming Deku can split it somehow, I think it could still only be safely given to other quirkless people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That would make sense, since Nomu were specifically designed to be able to handle the strain of possessing multiple quirks.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't think there's a reason why OFA can't be passed back to a previous holder, so all Deku has to do is give OFA to a person, they give it back, and that person can use the embers without dying from Quirk overload, assuming they can survive their bones shattering to pieces whenever they punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

bald deku eating a stew of a bunch of people's hair