Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

There's a million different fixtures and you're only going to find three that fit your style, one will be 10x more expensive than you want, one will require special bulbs, and the other will be out of stock.

Stop spying on me, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

StormDrain posted:

There's a million different fixtures and you're only going to find three that fit your style, one will be 10x more expensive than you want, one will require special bulbs, and the other will be out of stock.

This poster does not miss

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

https://www.1000bulbs.com/ and https://www.lampsplus.com/ both have an identical slogan that they are the USA's largest lighting retailer. Who is correct????

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey some of them are all 3! I'm facing choice fatigue at this point.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Inner Light posted:

Looking for recommendations on a few things, not sure if there is a furniture thread? But here goes:

Bed set/mattresses -- in the US we have these chains like Mattress Firm or American Mattress, I can try that. How about Ikea? Or internet only options that aren't garbage?

Smart switches -- any consensus best models / brands?

LED light bulbs -- should I just go with what's in my price range and looks good at Lowe's / HD?

Couch -- looking at this one from Article, any others in the price/quality range I should consider? https://www.article.com/product/1170/ceni-volcanic-gray-sofa
At a rando furniture store in my area, Walter E Smithe, the lowest price couches they carry are like $4k and fugly since they're the cheapest. The Article one seems very good for $1k, and way better than the ~$400 options from Ikea.

We got our bed from Article and mattress from Mattress Firm. We love both. We splurge because we like extra squishy poofy mattresses and it seems like everyone wants to sleep on a board these days. In fact for the guest room I bought a squishy one from Brooklyn Bedding because Purple's mattresses are only firm. It was great, came in a small box and was only $600. We have to give it up because it's too tall for our Murphy bed, but the Murphy includes a very plush mattress, so that's nice.

Couch from Lovesac. A total splurge, but holy crap, it's the comfiest thing I've ever sat on. If you go for the Article couch I'm guessing it's very good. I love their style, but all we have from them is a bed frame so I can't attest to its comfort.

Ikea has latex mattresses that are supposedly very cooling and comfortable but I don't have any personal experience with those mattresses.

I have spent my entire adult life having the same stuff everyone else has from Ikea/Bed bath beyond/World Market/whatever chain crap, so we have bought a few custom pieces from woodworkers (either local or on Etsy), or from antique places. We still have some average stuff like our secretary desk from World Market, but we are splurging on some unique pieces. Since we're not house-poor we decided to be furnishings-slightly-above-average.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Inner Light posted:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/ and https://www.lampsplus.com/ both have an identical slogan that they are the USA's largest lighting retailer. Who is correct????

This is critical; we need someone to shine some light on the situation.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a tuft and needle and while it was perfectly comfortable out of the box, I had heard that if you call and say there’s just something you can’t quite put your finger on that’s off about it, they’ll send you a memory foam topper for free. And they did, and it made a nice mattress into one that punches well above its weight. It’s also held up extremely well to 2 people and a dog every night for 2 years, you can hardly tell it’s been slept on.

Dog:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Looks like Tuft & Needle like others has several options for the mattress. Are you talking original, mint, or hybrid? I would assume original...

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PCjr sidecar posted:

This is critical; we need someone to shine some light on the situation.

I hate you for this.

:golfclap:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Looks like Tuft & Needle like others has several options for the mattress. Are you talking original, mint, or hybrid? I would assume original...

Yeah, original.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lawnie posted:

Yeah, original.

Thanks!! From doing the research rounds, this looks to be my lucky ticket. I have it ready in my cart for when I pull the trigger in a month or so. I'll pick up this frame too: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/frame/?size=BF-003-OAK-Q

It looks nice and sturdy, it's a little spendy but dunno why I'd need to look for anything else.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Thanks!! From doing the research rounds, this looks to be my lucky ticket. I have it ready in my cart for when I pull the trigger in a month or so. I'll pick up this frame too: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/frame/?size=BF-003-OAK-Q

It looks nice and sturdy, it's a little spendy but dunno why I'd need to look for anything else.

I have a $100 platform that came from Amazon, works great but does admittedly need some gussying up not to look like a batchelor bedroom, which I’ve yet to do with mine. Just need to find a head and footboard at an antique place this summer, though, and it should look a lot better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Seconding love sac couches as being awesome as hell, and totally worth the money.

We really bought it for the washable covers and replaceable parts because children are animals, but it’s extremely comfy and the option to expand it as you can afford more pieces or get more space is great.

I tried the networking thread but didn’t get much feedback so I’ll ask here. Does anyone have FIOS and have tried a MoCa adapter?

I need Ethernet to my basement from my living room, and the cost of the outdoor rated cabling alone is nearly the cost of a goCoax 2.5 MoCa adapter + splitter, and there’s already coax runs in the house. I already have a FIOS G3100 I get for free from FIOS. Looking to maintain my 1Gb throughput.

Has anyone done anything with these MoCa adapters?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Seconding love sac couches as being awesome as hell, and totally worth the money.

We really bought it for the washable covers and replaceable parts because children are animals, but it’s extremely comfy and the option to expand it as you can afford more pieces or get more space is great.

I tried the networking thread but didn’t get much feedback so I’ll ask here. Does anyone have FIOS and have tried a MoCa adapter?

I need Ethernet to my basement from my living room, and the cost of the outdoor rated cabling alone is nearly the cost of a goCoax 2.5 MoCa adapter + splitter, and there’s already coax runs in the house. I already have a FIOS G3100 I get for free from FIOS. Looking to maintain my 1Gb throughput.

I haven't done it yet but will be eventually. My cursory research shows that they work fine as long as you aren't plugging them into runs that have a bunch of splitters and whatnot. Thankfully mine will be single cable runs between the adapters so I should (in theory) have less shenanigans.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Is your basement finished? If not running a cat6 cable should be pretty easy. Running cable in easy access internal walls is not hard at all.

re: Furniture chat, it's tough to recommend stuff. Costco is generally a good value, and has good return policies. Avoid chain stores when possible, especially if they're publicly traded companies. I like locally owned furniture shops. It's shocking how much good furniture can cost. Avoid Ashley as much as possible.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mackieman posted:

I haven't done it yet but will be eventually. My cursory research shows that they work fine as long as you aren't plugging them into runs that have a bunch of splitters and whatnot. Thankfully mine will be single cable runs between the adapters so I should (in theory) have less shenanigans.

Yeah I have the same setup. There’s a single three way split between my ONT, router coax, and the basement coax line. The coax lines are also only like 30 ft. max each.

Ethernet runs are better, and I could rip out the coax cause I don’t need it but it’s so much more work and time then just swapping a splitter and plugging in a box.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Is your basement finished? If not running a cat6 cable should be pretty easy. Running cable in easy access internal walls is not hard at all.

re: Furniture chat, it's tough to recommend stuff. Costco is generally a good value, and has good return policies. Avoid chain stores when possible, especially if they're publicly traded companies. I like locally owned furniture shops. It's shocking how much good furniture can cost. Avoid Ashley as much as possible.

The basement is finished.

As I said above, the holes are already there (they run outside the house as ONT is outside, and basement previously had a tenant) it’s just extra work to run the Ethernet, and the cost is nearly the same.

I’m still waffling on it. Maybe I should just suck it up and run the Ethernet.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

We have FIOS and use MoCA adaptors with the miles of old coax on/in our house. They are easy to set up (just plug and play, basically) and deliver good wired internet. Very convenient if you already have a bunch of coax.

I don't know what the throughput is though - I never set them up in my office because the wifi has been sufficient for me. Husband has one for his office because he deals with moving around huge files a lot.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Any suggestions on where I can get some sconces and ceiling lights? I'm mostly interested in finding a couple brands that will have something well-built. I've found a couple that have entire catalogs that belong in the lobby of a hotel/office building. I also am not interested in "old timey candle holder". I'm still looking for what I do want.

I've bought from https://www.lumens.com/ several times, usually from the clearance/sale bin because as mentioned before, if you care about how the fixture looks, you're gonna pay for it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Fortunately I don't have kids, but we are wine drinkers and the washable covers were a big draw. An even bigger one was the fact that we can buy all different covers and for a fraction of the cost, bam, totally different couch for a few hundred bucks. We're planning on having spring/summer covers and fall/winter covers.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Fortunately I don't have kids, but we are wine drinkers and the washable covers were a big draw. An even bigger one was the fact that we can buy all different covers and for a fraction of the cost, bam, totally different couch for a few hundred bucks. We're planning on having spring/summer covers and fall/winter covers.

We're getting lovesac but waiting for their next big 30% off sale (plus 5% off because my wife is a teacher). That's a lot of money for something this expensive! Annoying to have to wait though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Am I correct seeing that the cheapest lovesac couch that fits 3 people is like $3-4k? I get that it's comfortable but when cheap offerings from furniture stores are $500 and Article.com is $1k, that's a leap.

I never considered a reclining sofa before but this looks pretty comfy: https://www.valuecityfurniture.com/product/group/living-room/seating/sofas/tacoma-manual-reclining-sofa-black/2269801/2036032

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 28, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bought a close out full leather 3 person recliner an hour ago for $750 and had them load it into my truck. I looked at the love sac sofas for similar reasons, modular and removal able covers, but my issue is more dumb rescue dogs than kids so dropping that much for something that will be destroyed was not really feasible.

In other news was quoted $40k for a solar system with a battery that covers 100% of my expected usage. It is a lot but considering this is Phoenix and I will be running the AC all the time it should pay for it self several times over especially once I take the tax credits into account. Any thoughts?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Am I correct seeing that the cheapest lovesac couch that fits 3 people is like $3-4k? I get that it's comfortable but when cheap offerings from furniture stores are $500 and Article.com is $1k, that's a leap.

I never considered a reclining sofa before but this looks pretty comfy: https://www.valuecityfurniture.com/product/group/living-room/seating/sofas/tacoma-manual-reclining-sofa-black/2269801/2036032

They’re very expensive. But really you’re buying to a system that’s fully expandable and customizable based on your needs.

What to change the color or material? Couple hundred bucks and you get to keep your very comfy couch.

Stain, spill, or rip? $80 and it’s solved. Or just throw the cover in the washer.

I’ve had mine for about 4 years and as someone who has exclusively ikea/as cheap as possible Amazon crap for all my other furniture it was 100% worth it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I had the same questions (also it's a bit blocky for my taste), but the draw for a lot of people is the durability and (if you have kids) the washable covers. Comfort is only one part of it. We paid about $5k for ours and it seats four comfortably, and has some storage. For us it's the portability (you just take it apart if you need to move it, and you can configure it however you want) and the ability to swap out the covers. Chaise attachment on the right side not working for you? Swap it out, put it on the left side, separate it altogether and put a top on it for a coffee table. The storage is surprisingly roomy. Essentially for us it's an investment and we plan on having it for years, possibly a decade or more. The price tag is boggling, especially for something I wasn't totally sold on aesthetically, but once I got in the showroom and sat down, it was a no brainer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yes this is exactly what I do. I have gigabit fios and moca adapters to run to the upstairs AP. I get about 700 on the upstairs AP. Some of that is probably because I’m using an edge router x as my router.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

In other news was quoted $40k for a solar system with a battery that covers 100% of my expected usage. It is a lot but considering this is Phoenix and I will be running the AC all the time it should pay for it self several times over especially once I take the tax credits into account. Any thoughts?

I am shopping solar right now too and there appears to be no solar thread. $40k is going to be a large system, what are the specs? I have been quoted between $11k and $16.5k for 2.9-4.2kWh systems from various contractors. This is without storage. 8-12 panels, 295-370 Watt panels, string and micro inverters, I've run the gamut of options and can't decide if I want it at all. I'm on the California central coast, so my sunlight is good but not great. I have AC, but overall my usage is low, at least compared to Arizona. In California I'll have to go onto a net metering plan, but I do get grandfathered in to the current rate policies for 20 years from system turn on. Financing seems like a huge scam, look out for fine print.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is a 8kw system, 24 panels. Probably too big and they are just over sizing it.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Inner Light posted:

Basic 3-seater would be $3200 list price - 35% (waiting for sales) = $2080. If that's all you want, probably not a great deal. Really starts being a consideration if you want more flexibility than that, including sectional setups, rearranging to use as a guest bed, etc. For us it's worth it largely because we're on the third story with small doorways, small stairs, and no elevator, so we have to add ~$500-900 to any price for a crane, window removal, etc. otherwise.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BigPaddy posted:

It is a 8kw system, 24 panels. Probably too big and they are just over sizing it.

How much of that is storage cost? Unless that’s 2 powerwalls, price seems high

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

$33k without storage, $40k with

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BigPaddy posted:

$33k without storage, $40k with

That seems high to me still, at least compared to what pricing I’ve seen here in Texas.

My neighbor put up a 12kW (40 panels) string inverter system and it was 27k after incentives. I think he qualified for the 30% tax credit so say 35Kish installed

Did they do a breakdown on the quote? What’s so expensive? Install?

I’d shop around. A bunch of these companies end up using the same subcontractors for the install anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

8kW is not too big if you're expecting it to actually cover 100% of your usage. The 6.5kW system on my old house (~1400 sqft, three people living there, all electric appliances but no EV) offset anywhere from 38% to 93% of my usage in the past year, excluding the past two billing cycles where I was moving/moved out. 2019-2020 was actually better with a range of 46% to 111%, but that's still half the year where it was offsetting less than 65%.

Also, since I seem to recall you heading to the west side - what's APS' current net metering policy? SRP's wasn't great and it's worse on new builds.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Buy from a place with a return policy. It's generally pretty binary if this stuff works or not. If you have 2 computers with ethernet you can use iperf to measure between the MoCA adapters. If it does not work start removing or replacing splitters, polish the conductor if it's dirty, or learn to recrimp it. If you don't want to, return it.

We're buying a lovesac in all likelihood here in the next few months. We hate our couch, just need to get vaccinated.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The prices are before any tax credits so the system with a battery would get me $10k back in federal this year as well as some AZ credits/exemptions. I am in APS and their export rate is 10.45 per KWH sent back to the grid. This is through Sunrun via Costco so I would get a 15% Costco card as well reducing the overall cost. I will get some more quotes and see what I get.

Edit: got some more stuff broken down:

With the Tesla battery it is $40k with the following rebates:

$10k federal tax credit
$2k Costco card
$1k AZ tax credit

Without a battery they want $27k with the following coming back:

$7k tax credit
$900 Costco card
$1k AZ tax credit

So in the end I pay 27k for the battery system and 18k without a battery.

For the 9k difference I am trying to figure out if the peace of mind is worth it.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 29, 2021

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

The prices are before any tax credits so the system with a battery would get me $10k back in federal this year as well as some AZ credits/exemptions. I am in APS and their export rate is 10.45 per KWH sent back to the grid. This is through Sunrun via Costco so I would get a 15% Costco card as well reducing the overall cost. I will get some more quotes and see what I get.

Edit: got some more stuff broken down:

With the Tesla battery it is $40k with the following rebates:

$10k federal tax credit
$2k Costco card
$1k AZ tax credit

Without a battery they want $27k with the following coming back:

$7k tax credit
$900 Costco card
$1k AZ tax credit

So in the end I pay 27k for the battery system and 18k without a battery.

For the 9k difference I am trying to figure out if the peace of mind is worth it.

Sunrun/Costco was the highest bid ($/kWh) I got and the panels selected seemed to be midrange at best. When I called them out on this their response was "we're the best, Costco, biggest, Costco, the panels are the best on the market, Costco, our roof penetration warranty is the best, Costco"

In California we have this useful site that lists recent solar installs by zipcode: https://www.californiadgstats.ca.gov/find_installer/ it helped me get a handle on expected range of $/kWh and find another installer who's active in the area to get a quote from.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have submitted some requests for quotes from local places as well. As even with the credits and Costco bucks it seems much higher than what I expected.

Completely unrelated I had a cold call from a security salesman at 8pm last night. 1 why are you going door to door in a pandemic? 2 this isn’t 1980 why are you going door to door? 3 no I will not tell you random person about my security system arrangements and 4 when I look up your company you are basically diet ADT who was bought out and rebranded by a investment firm last year as you were close to bankruptcy. Can’t wait until I have my door camera installed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm holding out hope for some additional incentives/rebates in the next year or two for solar. I just can't make the savings work out. It's a lifestyle choice right now is how someone else around here noted.

I have a municipal electric company, and so our power costs are relatively low. My worst bill last year was 333 dollars for 2905 kW, so 11.4 cents kWh and thats with peak summer charges, extra fuel charges, etc. Even with true net metering available to me, current incentives, and a 12 year timeframe of living in this house, I can't make the numbers work. The AC systems use the bulk of the electricity. My electric usage goes down to around 1000 kW during the winter. 6 months out of the year I'm over 2000 kWh though.

I would love to put panels on my house and offset the gross amount of electricity we use, but with our cheap power it doesn't make sense. That also assumes we get to keep net metering, which many places have stopped doing.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
We are fielding quotes for a mini split system to replace our baseboard heat (plus get cooling). Our electricity costs this winter sucked.

3 vendors have quoted us for an outdoor Mitsubishi 36k BTU system and two vendors have it set up so with a 4 zone system we are at exactly 36k indoor heads (15/9/6/6). One vendor has it having 39k worth of indoor units (15/9/9/6) and claims that the outdoor 36k unit actually has capacity for 46k so wanted to boost up one of the units.

Anyone have familiarity enough with Mitsubishi mini splits to know if this is true? The vendor saying that is the rep I liked the most and they have the longest lead time suggesting folks like to use them, but I wonder if I should ask to go 15/9/6/6 instead or if they are right or if this means something like don’t trust them with the job because they are overloading the system. Surprisingly they are the cheapest by around $1-2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

BigPaddy posted:

I have submitted some requests for quotes from local places as well. As even with the credits and Costco bucks it seems much higher than what I expected.

Completely unrelated I had a cold call from a security salesman at 8pm last night. 1 why are you going door to door in a pandemic? 2 this isn’t 1980 why are you going door to door? 3 no I will not tell you random person about my security system arrangements and 4 when I look up your company you are basically diet ADT who was bought out and rebranded by a investment firm last year as you were close to bankruptcy. Can’t wait until I have my door camera installed.

The 8kW system is $16k directly from Tesla. Let me know and I can pm you a referral code. $33k is really high for 8 kW.