Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fallom posted:

I don’t know, everybody was still moving through the dialogue like they were in a rush. It was kind of a strange movie.

"Get over here!" was worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The season 2 finale of For All Mankind was the best episode, movie, whatever I've seen so far in 2021. The second season had some laughably stupid moments, some wheel-spinning, and one EXTREMELY cringey sideplot, but goddamn it sticks the landing. 8.5/10.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The season 2 finale of For All Mankind was the best episode, movie, whatever I've seen so far in 2021. The second season had some laughably stupid moments, some wheel-spinning, and one EXTREMELY cringey sideplot, but goddamn it sticks the landing. 8.5/10.

Agreed on all counts. One scene in particular was an extreme gut punch that I wasn't expecting, and more than made up for an uneven season.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Thought Stowaway was decent, but the absence of an option to view it in HD severely detracted from the space scenes due to the amount of screen artifacts. It still did amazingly well at selling the feel of space being this yawning, infinite abyss surrounding you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's been out on VOD for a little while now, but the Zappa documentary by Alex Winters (Bill S Preston Esq.) is on Hulu. I would highly recommend it whether you're familiar with his music or not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't wait to watch it. I started watching the show this weekend, and it's incredible.

Edit: And yeah, that sideplot is indeed cringefest. I kept thinking, "There's no way they're actually going to do thi- oh, they're doing it." I rolled my eyes.

But the rest is thrilling.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 26, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's been out on VOD for a little while now, but the Zappa documentary by Alex Winters (Bill S Preston Esq.) is on Hulu. I would highly recommend it whether you're familiar with his music or not.

Yes

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Mortal Kombat was a hoot. It had just the right amount of fanservice and the gore looked very video-gamey. I really would have liked to see Christopher Lambert as Raiden again but that is my only gripe.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nihonniboku posted:

I can't wait to watch it. I started watching the show this weekend, and it's incredible.

Edit: And yeah, that sideplot is indeed cringefest. I kept thinking, "There's no way they're actually going to do thi- oh, they're doing it." I rolled my eyes.

But the rest is thrilling.

I made a thread in TV IV for the show, but since all of season 2 is now out I’d hold off on reading it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I thought Mortal Kombat was pretty bad. Cole Young is an insanely boring character. Feels like the movie spends 60 percent of the runtime in Raiden's temple which looks like a set from a 2004 Syfy series. Whole thing just kind of looked like poo poo aside from Subzero throwing ice around. It was also just dull and was severely lacking in gore for a movie based on Mortal Kombat.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Agreed on all of that, I actually fell asleep during the ending and had to rewind a bit. Handful of fun fights but otherwise a slog.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
2 episodes into Raised by Wolves and it's....wild AF lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thom and the Heads posted:

I thought Mortal Kombat was pretty bad. Cole Young is an insanely boring character. Feels like the movie spends 60 percent of the runtime in Raiden's temple which looks like a set from a 2004 Syfy series. Whole thing just kind of looked like poo poo aside from Subzero throwing ice around. It was also just dull and was severely lacking in gore for a movie based on Mortal Kombat.

I think my biggest issue with it is a pretty typical one, there were some fantastic scenes and effects, but almost everything was in the trailer. I can't think offhand (except maybe fatalities) of any scene that wasn't in the trailer that I really was blown away by.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Mortal Kombat was terrible

It owned

These statements are not contradictory

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lmao, please come back when you've finished the season.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You are like little baby, wait until later

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

frogbs posted:

Lmao, please come back when you've finished the season.

Yeah this

Although I haven’t finished it either so who knows :iiam:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Those are the 100% normal boring conventional episodes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Those are the 100% normal boring conventional episodes
Yeah lol, I was super worried they blew all the weirdness upfront and then would have to slow down and drag things out for the rest of the season... and uh, let's just say it didn't play out that way.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I really enjoyed Shadow and Bone. It’s probably the best one of those that I have watched. The production values were pretty high and it was well acted.

Looking it up after finishing I was surprised the source material didn’t come from Eastern Europe with the Cyrillic looking writing and names of the areas. One of the cities in the show was named Kerch which is a small city on the Crimean coast where my girlfriend just so happens to be from so it was weird every time they said it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Martman posted:

Yeah lol, I was super worried they blew all the weirdness upfront and then would have to slow down and drag things out for the rest of the season... and uh, let's just say it didn't play out that way.

Yeah, I mean I guess the first episode is pretty crazy, but it gets weird in like, 100 different ways later that I was not expecting at all. What a ridiculous show.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have to push back on the reports of low gore in Mortal Kombat. Every slice of gore is attached to the very fan service check-list but that amounts to significant amounts of gore in the film. A guy gets his spine ripped out, Kano punches a thing through the heart, a bat lady gets sawed in half by Kung Lao's dumb hat, Jax has his arms ripped off, Scorpion rips off his face mask to reveal a skull that burns a dude to death. It's all there. It is cg, at like SyFy post quality.

My complaint is about Jax. Him being an early movie exposition dump was fine. It was that middle part where he has baby robo arms and goes through physical therapy with Sonya and some medical monks was a waste of time. I get it, especially as a vet, that Jax and prosthetics has some opportunity for pathos. This ain't that movie for it tho. Jax is good when he gets his arms ripped off, then when he has dope roboarms. That is all.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i tried to watch that (academy award-winning lol) My Octopus Teacher documentary on Netflix and couldn't make it to the twenty minute mark. it seemed to be about some rich rear end in a top hat feeling so sad and disconnected from the natural world up in his mansion that he couldn't take care of his son, but he's gonna go visit an octopus every day as an experiment

like yeah, i bet an octopus would feel emotional pain if they were visited by that rear end in a top hat every day. might watch it on mute sometime for some cool octopus shots, though

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Stevie Lee posted:

i tried to watch that (academy award-winning lol) My Octopus Teacher documentary on Netflix and couldn't make it to the twenty minute mark. it seemed to be about some rich rear end in a top hat feeling so sad and disconnected from the natural world up in his mansion that he couldn't take care of his son, but he's gonna go visit an octopus every day as an experiment

like yeah, i bet an octopus would feel emotional pain if they were visited by that rear end in a top hat every day. might watch it on mute sometime for some cool octopus shots, though

I had a similar take. Like a lot of documentaries, the subject is largely the documentary maker themselves, as they continually (over) narrate about how something makes them feel and how it's changed them and heres what you the viewer should think about this ... like they're afraid a moment of silence will let you form a different opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That one about ocean pollution on Netflix was the most egregious one I’ve seen in a while in that regard. It was really off putting how much the dude made it about himself.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Only Werner Herzog can get away with that.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Other than L O S T I got real OA vibes from raised by wolves, hopefully it similarly continues to go more batshit in the coming season

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Uatu The Lurker posted:

Other than L O S T I got real OA vibes from raised by wolves, hopefully it similarly continues to go more batshit in the coming season

I will forever lament not getting to see what insanity they were going to do with OA season 3. I loved that rediculous show.

Excuse me while I agressively dance myself into a dimension where that show didnt get canceled.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was pretty disappointed that the OA was cancelled because it had gotten so wonderfully nuts. I think the biggest problem was that the way the first season ended combined with people not realizing there was going to be more meant that people who thought they liked the first season didn't like the direction it went in and people who would have liked the second season didn't give it a chance because they didn't like the ending to the first season.

I feel like it was probably the most imaginative show netflix has made though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

married but discreet posted:

Only Werner Herzog can get away with that.
Herzog's background is about as far from that of the typical documentary filmmaker as can be, so he's actually an interesting person.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Slashrat posted:

Thought Stowaway was decent, but the absence of an option to view it in HD severely detracted from the space scenes due to the amount of screen artifacts. It still did amazingly well at selling the feel of space being this yawning, infinite abyss surrounding you.

Those spacewalk scenes always give me the heebie-jeebies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
After earlier watching and loving The Art of Self-Defense I watched Faults on the recommendation of whoever recommended it.

I very much did not enjoy that movie and I am not exactly sure why. The ending was pretty good, though!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yup also got suckered in. Faults is a movie with a great ending and great performances.

Would absolutely not recommend however. It is way too long for what it's trying to do.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Well now I have to watch it. The trailer looks cool and I am a glutton for punishment

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really liked Faults.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Uatu The Lurker posted:

It could end now or go on, it's just a perfect mysterious thing as one season.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

graventy posted:

I really liked Faults.

What did you like about it?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
30 Coins absolutely ruled holy poo poo. Probably one of my favorite new shows and I hope it gets a second season. Really hope they get a bigger budget but its incredibly impressive what they pulled off.

The Davinci Code + X-Files if done by Sam Raimi and Guillermo del Torro. I absolutely loved how it took its "lore" very seriously but also knew when to be campy and even had elements of telenovellas present.

I also thought the exposition about God and Satan from Angel was some of the coolest crazy theological concepts and a really awesome set up for the world. God...is Satan.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, 30 Coins kicked rear end. Hopefully the police chief finds a place. I liked his "wtf is this" looks on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
I am also curious about Faults, especially the complaint that it's too long - the running time is listed at 89 minutes which by modern standards is downright brief.