Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shipon posted:

This feels so much worse than late 2017/early 2018.

Yes, it is.

Graphics cards have been scarce before but I don't recall any time when they were (1) all instantly sold out in seconds, worldwide, regardless of model; (2) marked up consistently to triple MSRP; and (3) this continued for the better part of a year with no end in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There was a police officer sent to the Fairfax, VA Microcenter. I'm not sure if he's got assigned patrol there now. Someone threatened someone else in the line and given the size of the lines not a surprise that cops would start watching.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

necrobobsledder posted:

There was a police officer sent to the Fairfax, VA Microcenter. I'm not sure if he's got assigned patrol there now. Someone threatened someone else in the line and given the size of the lines not a surprise that cops would start watching.

I'm picturing armored truck delivery

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Enigma89 posted:

I really thought this thread would be about a mad hustle to get RTX 3080s but seems like some of you already have it. You guys are lucky.
I think that most of the people itt that really wanted a 3080 already got one; I didn't try too hard and got one months ago :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

change my name posted:

1650 to 1660 Super would be a huge jump, 1660 Super to 1660 Ti would be meh, a 3060 ti is only ~10% slower than a 3070 so if you want to swing for the fences now you should get the 3060 ti and save your $200. The 3060 ti is literally twice as fast, has Vram for 4k, and can do ray tracing.

Ok, but realtalk- I want this computer to last me years.

I can also spec one of these with anything from a 10th Gen i5 to an 11th Gen i9 K-series and I have no loving idea what’s worthwhile, but that’s a problem for an entirely different thread.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

SchnorkIes posted:

1440p gaming and CAD on a sub-workstation budget.

I'm 1440 as well. Any of the new launches would work for you. As previously stated, the 3080 FE is fantastic value at MSRP and the 3070 FE is also. If you go the used route out of necessity, for reference, I've been running a 2070 Super and it handles 1440 really well.

I don't know much about AMD, not really a fan of their GPU's.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I can also spec one of these with anything from a 10th Gen i5 to an 11th Gen i9 K-series and I have no loving idea what’s worthwhile, but that’s a problem for an entirely different thread.

If you can afford it, I'd go with anything from the current Gen in that case. One of the many factors in this GPU hell we're experiencing is that the 3xxx series is a massive improvement over the previous Gen. As far as CPU, man those last forever. Something halfway decent will easily last you at least 6-7 years until it bottlenecks you unless you're doing anything really CPU intensive.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 27, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get the 3060 Ti, it has DLSS so you could keep that thing going longer than a 1660 super.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

denereal visease posted:

I think that most of the people itt that really wanted a 3080 already got one; I didn't try too hard and got one months ago :shrug:

I am just starting to trying to get one. Wish me luck.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

denereal visease posted:

If you don't mind me asking how did you get yours?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Luck, multiple stock tracking discords, and telecommuting :)

Best wishes: try to balance your effort against your desire to get a new GPU in such a way that you don't get burnt out.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Probably an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, the build thread would be a good place to ask!

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 27, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

denereal visease posted:

Luck, multiple stock tracking discords, and telecommuting :)

Best wishes: try to balance your effort against your desire to get a new GPU in such a way that you don't get burnt out.

Probably an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, the build thread would be a good place to ask!

Unfortunately Ryzen ain’t in the cards, as much as I’d like it to be. It has to be one of these prebuilts or bust.

we’re in a drought that’s only looking worse and I have zero desire to go chasing individual parts at inflated prices as they show up for retail sale.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's going on with your font rendering :stare:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Black Sunshine posted:

So the EVGA notifies have been moving along today. I just got my email for the 3080 FTW Ultra from 9/21 at 10:27 am so that's pretty great!

Anyone else still in line, best of luck!

I got my email today as well ( 9/21/2020 10:20:01 AM PT). Will sell my current 3080 when the EVGA comes in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So tale of two cities in one city: There was apparently a FAT drop after a week of largely dry spells, split both for building and vouchers. One guy got a 3080 after showing up minutes after opening, another did not and refused the 3070 build option because he "knows what he wants. " Don't be guy number 2

necrobobsledder posted:

lmao the FFX (as they like to call it) community manager in discord likes to come to ours to tell us how sweet it is over there

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So how does that build option work? I have a Micro Center near me, and I'd love to upgrade my cpu and mobo along with a new card

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So how does that build option work? I have a Micro Center near me, and I'd love to upgrade my cpu and mobo along with a new card
The one in Tustin requires you to purchase 4 components out of a list of 8 (gPU counts as one).

So you could go in with your machine, ask for a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and Card.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

weirdly enough the guy who claimed he got the 3080 said they let him bring his own parts to count it. Didnt even need to buy from MC

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

idk how they do it there but here there's a take a number thing and as soon as you get it you ask them for a build.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just got an email that EVGA will do what I suggested back in 2018 and give prior customers with registered hardware a 24 hour window to buy new products.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enigma89 posted:

I am just starting to trying to get one. Wish me luck.

fyi I think the botting was not nearly as intense 4-5 months ago, there is a whole underground ecosystem of rootkitted machines and browser addon authors getting paid to put proxies into their addons and those are being used to bot the best buy and zotac store and others en masse.

best buy never even comes up with an "add to cart" link for me anymore even if I'm right there when it goes off, the zotac site has been getting slammed harder and harder to the extent that recently I've never even got it to load a single page during a drop so I'm pretty sure the answer is bots are just slamming any publicly available drop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

fyi I think the botting was not nearly as intense 4-5 months ago, there is a whole underground ecosystem of rootkitted machines and browser addon authors getting paid to put proxies into their addons and those are being used to bot the best buy and zotac store and others en masse.

best buy never even comes up with an "add to cart" link for me anymore even if I'm right there when it goes off, the zotac site has been getting slammed harder and harder to the extent that recently I've never even got it to load a single page during a drop so I'm pretty sure the answer is bots are just slamming any publicly available drop.

Yeah it's worse than it ever was before

Far worse

But I'm also chapped because I'm not a WFH-er and don't have access to my phone unless I leave my office so that makes it really hard to compete. Best Buy's drops were my best chance until they started making you wait 30 minutes to see the add to cart button show up a second time.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 28, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh they're just flat out using hacked machines to do their dirty work? sounds like someone ought to be investigating the scalpers as a criminal enterprise if this is what they're doing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RICO case but for scalpers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

The one in Tustin requires you to purchase 4 components out of a list of 8 (gPU counts as one).

So you could go in with your machine, ask for a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and Card.

what's on the list? can you walk in and get e.g.: GPU, two extra sticks of ram for your current machine, 2 x 12 dollar dvd drives

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok- XPS 8940 ordered: 3060Ti, 32gb RAM, 2TB SSD, 500W, I went with the 11700k for the above reason. At ~$2k what’s another $100. Blu-ray drive so I can rip my Kazaa downloads.

Got it in white, natch. Reminds me of a classic white box PC from Back In The Day. May it synthesize fondly with my memories of my first childhood XPS from 20 years ago, and may it last me at least twice as long without going to absolute dogshit in four years, getting replaced with a second, black, 2004 XPS that went to dogshit even faster. Inshallah

Thanks for the help. Hope I didn’t buy an expensive lemon. It arrives....”by June 2nd”, fml.

apropos of scalpers, there’s a **lot** of brand new 8940s in both colors and all kinds of cpu skus on eBay where it’s obvious that the GPU was ripped out and the PC thrown back in the box

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Basically all the parts for a computer:
CPU
GPU
Memory
Motherboard
SsD/HD
Cooler
PSU
Case

Be nice to the employees and they may count 2 sticks of RAM as 2 parts

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Basically all the parts for a computer:
CPU
GPU
Memory
Motherboard
SsD/HD
Cooler
PSU
Case

Be nice to the employees and they may count 2 sticks of RAM as 2 parts

So you are saying this summer when I get our 3080Ti cards I have to get new corsair 5000D cases and twin 360 rads?

I could work with this.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Craptacular! posted:

Just got an email that EVGA will do what I suggested back in 2018 and give prior customers with registered hardware a 24 hour window to buy new products.

Didn't get that email yet but I assume its referring to this:
https://www.pcgamer.com/evga-elite-membership-deals-with-gpu-shortage/

Still not a great solution. My 2 Bstock cards I bought in 2018 don't qualify me for it but anyone spamming 100 low content posts on their forum does.
They even have an option to link your EVGA account and watch their Twitch channel for Channel Points and redeem 5000 of them for Elite membership that way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
*cries big manly northwestern lumberjack tears at the non-existence of Microcenter in the Pacific Northwest and the dead husk of Fry's*

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

loving lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Doomtrain posted:

Didn't get that email yet but I assume its referring to this:
https://www.pcgamer.com/evga-elite-membership-deals-with-gpu-shortage/

Still not a great solution. My 2 Bstock cards I bought in 2018 don't qualify me for it but anyone spamming 100 low content posts on their forum does.
They even have an option to link your EVGA account and watch their Twitch channel for Channel Points and redeem 5000 of them for Elite membership that way.

look at their qualified product list and pick the cheapest

I bought a 50 dollar (on sale, over now) mouse and it made me eligible

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
"good news everyone", the shipping industry is about to poo poo itself again

they're now in a bullwhip effect, people are seeing shortages so they're ordering more, which creates even longer delays, so people order more, etc. on top of that, the Ever Given situation means that containers that would normally be headed back to china, aren't, because they were delayed in transit, so china can't even get shipping containers to load stuff into right now.

overall sounds like it's not expected to recover until 2022, probably mid-2022 given the lunar new year at the start of the year

the wonders of a just-in-time economy!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 28, 2021

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Alan Smithee posted:

look at their qualified product list and pick the cheapest

I bought a 50 dollar (on sale, over now) mouse and it made me eligible

That or regarding the Twitch stream:

quote:

For each 5 min you'll get 10 points. Also every 15 min you can click on icon near point counter and get additional 50 points. You can even install extension into your browser that will click on this icon for you.

The EVGA Elite early access is about as good an option as you can get all things considered. If you're in the market for a 3080ti or 3070ti, that's the way to go.

Honestly this entire experience has made me really dislike every retailer and GPU provider aside from EVGA. It's not a perfect system and it takes time but it's one in which there's an actual line where you can buy product at MSRP without paying for a bot. Just get in that line ASAP!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

from the article

quote:

The number of container ships stuck at anchor off Los Angeles and Long Beach is down to around 20 per day, from 30 a few months ago. Does this mean the capacity crunch in the trans-Pacific market is finally easing? Absolutely not, warned Nerijus Poskus, vice president of global ocean at freight forwarder Flexport. “It’s not getting better. It’s getting worse,” he told American Shipper in an interview on Monday.

If you want to see what that looks like, i took a trip by Long Beach the other day. In addition to the stacks of container ships all sitting in line, there is also an endless parking lot of other ship as well, including unused cruise ships. Heres a little slice of the view from the beach:

I love the haze of bunker fuel fumes hanging over the fleet. Tasty.

Generally, high value/low weight stuff like GPUs is going to come by air. But if sea rates go up, so do air rates. And a lot of the other parts you might need for a computer (like cases, power supplies, cables etc) are on those boats.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

necrobobsledder posted:

There's a Fairfax County police officer who's a sub-moderator of the Fairfax channel on the MC Discord and works in the McLean District that covers Pan Am Shopping Center where Micro Center is located. His shift usually covers most of the wee hours of the night and he's let everyone at his precinct know about it. When he's on he'll roll by 2-3 times.

Another potential point of conflict at the Fairfax MC is that it's near a nexus for the homeless, and some of the campers have treated them like poo poo when they've tried to beg from the people waiting.

I still regrettably think the 3080Ti launch will (somewhere) end in a body count.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ says the mining-nerfed Ampere refresh is still happening soon, and will be a silent launch with no branding changes to differentiate the nerfed units from the original ones

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1387348953012781056

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Would probably be better for consumers if miners knew which cards to avoid up front, instead of expanding their mining business into scalping when they get the refreshed cards?

Eh who are we kidding they'll be scalped mercilessly no matter what.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mutata posted:

Speaking of, I got that GeForce 210 from Adorama and registered it and started Step Up with it. Maybe it'll come through this time next year lol.

Mine is out for delivery today, good to hear there were no troubles with step up. I'm gonna hold for the 3080ti launch and hop on that one. Guessing it will be a shorter line than the 3080 launch, if only because hardly anyone has been able to buy eligible cards for the past 90 days.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
3080 is due to come in the mail today. Is it ok to use GPU cables that split if i'm using a PSU with a single rail like the EVGA G3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It’s still recommended to use multiple cables. The cables and connectors themselves are what’s not rated for the wattage, not the rails.