Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

phosdex posted:

Can you ping the phones?

No, but I'm not sure if iPhones respond to ICMP, though.

KS posted:

If you have wpa3 enabled turn it off. It's some weird ios13 bug.

Nope, just WPA2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

iPhones do respond when they are unlocked . Do you have MAC filtering on? Few updates back Apple added a randomized MAC address option to individual connections.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are the CommScope Rucuks APs a good alternative to Unifi? A lot about the management side of things has really soured me on Unifi and I am at a point where I am ready to upgrade APs.

I got a couple of used R710s to replace my AC HD APs, and after reflashing them with the Unleashed firmware (it's free from CommScope/Ruckus and has nearly all the features of the regular one, but you don't need a separate controller, don't need a maintenance contract/software license to use/update them, and have a max of 25 APs you can have in the network), they've been pretty good. I used to have drops when migrating between APs with my Unifi gear (I'm guessing something with their 802.11r/v/k implementations), but with the Ruckus APs, I can be connected to a meeting over my work VPN, and it will just seamlessly transfer. Plus the range is pretty great. I'm sure my neighbors hate me, but I can get a usable signal all the way down the block. Their proprietary antenna magic really does seem to do something worthwhile.

There have only really been two downsides so far. One of them has to do with the very latest Unleashed firmware for them (200.9.10.4.233). I was getting kernel panics on it, so I had to use the immediately prior build (200.9.10.4.212) instead. Supposedly, it has something to do with having wifi calling prioritization enabled on that build, so if I really cared, I could try turning that off and upgrading again to test, but I haven't really cared enough to do that since they're apparently working on fixing it for the next release.

The other issue has to do with me living in a condo complex with lots of neighbors. If I turn on the option to have the APs automatically select the best channels to use, they sometimes switch multiple times a minute just due to how congested things are here, which dumps all the connected clients on the AP while that happens. So, unless I move somewhere else that's less congested, I just can't use that feature.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hi networking thread.

I’ve moved to a new house, and have fun new networking challenges that I think are easily solved?

Here’s my setup. I have FIOS Gig (no cable or phone). I also have a FIOS G3100 (they’re providing it for free so I’m really trying to not replace this if I can avoid it). My RSSI strength is like -60 or better in the whole house so I’m pretty sure I’m fine regarding WiFi. Testing there is ongoing.

My ONT runs into my living room on the main floor; but I need a wired connection in the basement for my Plex server/sweet sweet gaming rig. Lucky for me, there’s coax run through to whole house!

What’s a good/great MoCa adapter that supports gig and plays nice with FIOS? I need only wired (4 ports preferred, 2 is acceptable) that’s not going to gently caress up my wallet? Performance is important, so I won’t cheap out, but I don’t need to go all flashy for no reason.

Additionally, my understanding is I may need high quality splitters this to work as well. Any suggestions on good splitters if that may be necessary?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I don't know that you'll be able to get what you want. You're going to need MoCA 2.0 or 2.5 adaptors, and I dunno how close those are going to get to real-world 1gbps. It's going to be impacted by the specific adaptors and also by your coax cabling/splits as well as any other signals you have on those cables in the same frequencies.

If MoCA doesn't work out, you could also try powerline adaptors. A lot of the same limitations apply for those (affected by noise on the power lines, quality of the wiring and the specific adaptors, etc.), but it's another thing to try if you need to.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Moca also shares bandwidth across the whole network of moca stuff so you have 1 gig of bandwidth max (theoretical) with 2.5, not 1 gig per connection as one would with Ethernet.

You’ll need to get a switch at each moca endpoint to connect more than one device, I don’t know they they make anything more than bridge type adapters. I’ve used actiontec ones a couple times and they’ve been fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dogen posted:

Moca also shares bandwidth across the whole network of moca stuff so you have 1 gig of bandwidth max (theoretical) with 2.5, not 1 gig per connection as one would with Ethernet.

You’ll need to get a switch at each moca endpoint to connect more than one device, I don’t know they they make anything more than bridge type adapters. I’ve used actiontec ones a couple times and they’ve been fine.

I was reading that 2.5 is up to 2.5gbps theoretical?

Both connections I actually need run direct out of the ONT (through a single splitter I think?) so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd also need a switch if I ran Ethernet.

I guess I could rip out the coax that's already ran and run Ethernet in it's place if I had to..... Just hoping there's a better solution.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I didn’t know 2.5 was that fast, I just have 2.0 devices

I mean, it’s worth a shot over putting in Ethernet cable. Most/all of your devices don’t need gigabit speeds, probably.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dogen posted:

I didn’t know 2.5 was that fast, I just have 2.0 devices

I mean, it’s worth a shot over putting in Ethernet cable. Most/all of your devices don’t need gigabit speeds, probably.

Yeah, it's just the server side really.

Since there is only one splitter between the living room and the basement, I was thinking

G3100 MoCa 2.5 > Single Splitter > GoCoax 2.5 > Ethernet port. I only need a single for now, and I can invest in a switch later.

Amazon has free returns on it, so if no one else here is using this setup or has opinions otherwise, I may just buy and test it out. 2.5 compatible splitters seem to only be like :10bux:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
Alright I have a fun one:

Usw-8-60 -> uap-flexhd
Works wired.

Now if I try to insert a switch between them(I've tried two switches with pie injectors and without) the switches don't work.

If I run a Poe injector inline on the flexhd it works, but the switch won't come on. Just passes through..and only powers it doesn't pass the network through.

I've tried every which possible way to get the EITHER of the switches working and they don't. Even putting the switch with nothing connected to the usw8 won't power them...the gently caress is going on?
. the line can power the flexhd but not the switches? Not even poe injector working....I'm at a loss here.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Ffycchi posted:

Usw-8-60 -> uap-flexhd
Works wired.

Now if I try to insert a switch between them(I've tried two switches with pie injectors and without) the switches don't work.

If I run a Poe injector inline on the flexhd it works, but the switch won't come on. Just passes through..and only powers it doesn't pass the network through.

I've tried every which possible way to get the EITHER of the switches working and they don't. Even putting the switch with nothing connected to the usw8 won't power them...the gently caress is going on?
. the line can power the flexhd but not the switches? Not even poe injector working....I'm at a loss here.

I read this like 3 times and I don't really understand what you're asking

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Ffycchi posted:

Usw-8-60 -> uap-flexhd
Works wired.

What switches are you attempting to use? USW-8-60 does 802.3af and the FlexHD accepts it, which is why those work.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Is trying to get HomeKit Wifi devices connected to my special IOT network going to be a huge pain in the rear end?

I have this Wifi smart plug I'm trying to connect to HomeKit, and I mistakenly connected it to my regular network because I guess it just connects to whatever network my phone is on. I want to quarantine it to my IOT subnet thats firewalled away from everything else, so I reset it and I connected my phone to the IOT network and now it can't connect to my plug. gently caress.

e: basically my firewall rules are that anything on my IOT vlan can't initiate a connection to anything on my regular LAN vlan. Devices on the IOT vlan have access to WAN and they should be able to connect to other devices on the same vlan.

e2: I finally got it working, I'm not sure what did it though. I reconnected it to my normal network and updated the firmware, but it still seemed like a fluke that it connected to my IOT vlan :shrug:

Baxate fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 27, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Cyks posted:

What switches are you attempting to use? USW-8-60 does 802.3af and the FlexHD accepts it, which is why those work.

so...In my upstairs office I have my udm. Attached to the udm is the usw-8-60. I am trying to add more drops up in my attic. to do this I need another switch in the attic.

I bought a usw flex mini and a usw flex.

I then adopted them and set them up in my office to be sure they work, they do.

I ran and tested the wires and they also work fine.

So to be sure I had enough power I got the usw flex for the uap flexhd and ran that with a Poe injector.

It won't power up. At all. Won't show up in unifi even. Just disconnected. I then tried to just run it via Poe to see if it would even power up in the attic. It does not. I KNOW the line works because I used to use it as a direct line to the flexhd.

I then threw the mini up there just to verify it wasn't a power issue. It's not. It didn't run either.

So I can run my flexhd just fine on the wire with nothing in between.

But if I grab the switch the switch doesn't work at all. Even with a Poe injector.

However because it's outside temperatures I can't just throw that in the attic. I need one capable of outdoor use. Thus the flex series.

So the lines are good. But the switches aren't getting power. But the flexhd when ran on the same line gets power.

When the switch is inline between it does not. And the switch gets no power either.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The OP is almost three years old, who's in favour of a revamp?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I got AT&T fiber at the house we just bought; the ONT is mounted in the living room for reasons passing understanding when there is a perfectly good basement available where the fiber is coming into the house, but I digress. Next to the ONT is a jankily installed coax wall plate which is connected via splitter to an identical coax wall plate on the other side of that wall in a room that is going to be my office where I would ostensibly like to put the AT&T gateway, my router, switch, an AP, etc.

Given this, is there a reason why I couldn't de-jank this configuration by replacing the coax wall plates with Ethernet keystone jacks and plates, connecting the ONT to the plate on one side, a small run to connect the two keystone jacks, and then a run from the wall in the office to the gateway? As best I can tell, the super special ONT cable is a plain Ethernet cable in red so as to signify that it runs from the ONT to the gateway but I'm not 100% sure of its termination configuration.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bolind posted:

The OP is almost three years old, who's in favour of a revamp?

More than happy to help facilitate a new OP if someone(s) want to re-write it.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Are the CommScope Rucuks APs a good alternative to Unifi? A lot about the management side of things has really soured me on Unifi and I am at a point where I am ready to upgrade APs.

The Ruckus hardware engineering is top notch (I don't think there was better) - hardware based beamforming is amazing technology that makes it perform better in almost every scenario against any other Wifi AP.

Software, they've had some issues (bugs/etc), especially since the company has been bought/sold a few times, but generally fairly good. Not beginner level UI, but not horrid either.

I'd take 3 year old ruckus gear over a lot of cheap current gear and get better performance.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

3 year old Ruckus stuff is very good.

The majority of the engineers though have left and gone to other places. I'd totally grab some R710s to use.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Ffycchi posted:

so...In my upstairs office I have my udm. Attached to the udm is the usw-8-60. I am trying to add more drops up in my attic. to do this I need another switch in the attic.

I bought a usw flex mini and a usw flex.

I then adopted them and set them up in my office to be sure they work, they do.

I ran and tested the wires and they also work fine.

So to be sure I had enough power I got the usw flex for the uap flexhd and ran that with a Poe injector.

It won't power up. At all. Won't show up in unifi even. Just disconnected. I then tried to just run it via Poe to see if it would even power up in the attic. It does not. I KNOW the line works because I used to use it as a direct line to the flexhd.

I then threw the mini up there just to verify it wasn't a power issue. It's not. It didn't run either.

So I can run my flexhd just fine on the wire with nothing in between.

But if I grab the switch the switch doesn't work at all. Even with a Poe injector.

However because it's outside temperatures I can't just throw that in the attic. I need one capable of outdoor use. Thus the flex series.

So the lines are good. But the switches aren't getting power. But the flexhd when ran on the same line gets power.

When the switch is inline between it does not. And the switch gets no power either.

I've seen enough faulty cables that were good enough to get lights on a Cisco phone or AP but not enough to run properly and I wouldn't write off the cable just because the flexHD works. If the FlexMini and Flex both power on plugged into the usw-8-60 while in the office and the only difference in the attic is the cable, it seems like that would be the only possible issue.

A few things of note, the FlexMini doesn't appear to have PoE out so it wouldn't really work for powering the FlexHD unless you were running the injector after it. The Mini also only accepts 8092.3af/at, so you'd want to be using the U-POE-AF injector for it, or having it powered by the USW-8-60. For the Flex, you want the POE-50-60W injector. You can technically power the Flex from the USW-8-60 since it supports 802.3af but you'll only get 8W of power output which may not be enough for the FlexHD. You'll also have to log into the controller and enable PoE injector mode for the flex.

brains posted:

looking for a recommendation for APs for my parents. need to revamp their wireless coverage because it's a garbage mix of combo router/APs and range extenders.

their house is built like a fortress due to hurricane code in their country, so 12" thick concrete walls all around. house is wired but due to the layout and extreme lack of signal propagation i think i'll need about 4 APs. PoE injectors included are a plus.

are there better alternatives to ubiquiti? not impressed with the direction their software is headed.

edit: ebay is flooded with cheap aruba APs, anyone got experience with them?

Unifi and TP-Link EAP are probably the most popular home dedicated access points, but you also have Aruba Instant On, enGenius has been getting a little bit of discussion lately on home networking sites, and some people will buy used Rukus and load Rukus Unleashed or Aruba IAPs but I'm always hesitant to recommend doing that, especially when it is for somebody else's home.
Though if it was my parents and assuming the house being already wired means at the wall and not the ceiling, I'd look into a mesh system that supports a wired backhaul and buy additional APs as needed. Maybe a little more expensive, but you'll get a non-tech user friendly system that's still supported, plugs into the wall so no need for PoE injectors and has a built in controller.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Cyks posted:

I've seen enough faulty cables that were good enough to get lights on a Cisco phone or AP but not enough to run properly and I wouldn't write off the cable just because the flexHD works. If the FlexMini and Flex both power on plugged into the usw-8-60 while in the office and the only difference in the attic is the cable, it seems like that would be the only possible issue.

I pulled a new cat6 cable through earlier today....Wasn't the cable.

Cyks posted:

A few things of note, the FlexMini doesn't appear to have PoE out so it wouldn't really work for powering the FlexHD unless you were running the injector after it.

I know this I have a flex and flex mini, I tried just to get Poe power to the flex mini at the same spot and it didn't work even.

They both work just fine when I set them up on a 3ft cable in my office though.

Also the cable run is less than 15 meters so it isn't that.

Cyks posted:

For the Flex, you want the POE-50-60W injector.

Yeah that's the one I have.

Cyks posted:

You can technically power the Flex from the USW-8-60 since it supports 802.3af but you'll only get 8W of power output which may not be enough for the FlexHD.

I know this also. I did it to make sure the switch wasn't hosed. Also it's not enough :/

Cyks posted:

You'll also have to log into the controller and enable PoE injector mode for the flex.

Also already did that.

Result of testing:

Apparently the flex line is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to power. And the power in my attic seems to not be good enough to run it :/

It's apparently a very common issue with the flex line...didn't know this until after I'd bought it. Fun times.

I ended up ordering this: https://www.tycononline.com/8023at-to-4-Pair-60W-GigE-Converter_p_308.html

It's likely the only way outside of getting a commercial tier switch and others with the flex have recommended this device also.

It's been a long few days troubleshooting this mess.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

It still seems odd that you can't power the mini over the run unless there's done type of electrical interference. I wonder if their might be an issue with the us-8-60w and some of the PoE ports. I'm assuming you tested it locally in your office on the same port that the attic cable is plugged into.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

I got a couple of used R710s to replace my AC HD APs, and after reflashing them with the Unleashed firmware (it's free from CommScope/Ruckus and has nearly all the features of the regular one, but you don't need a separate controller, don't need a maintenance contract/software license to use/update them, and have a max of 25 APs you can have in the network), they've been pretty good. I used to have drops when migrating between APs with my Unifi gear (I'm guessing something with their 802.11r/v/k implementations), but with the Ruckus APs, I can be connected to a meeting over my work VPN, and it will just seamlessly transfer. Plus the range is pretty great. I'm sure my neighbors hate me, but I can get a usable signal all the way down the block. Their proprietary antenna magic really does seem to do something worthwhile.

There have only really been two downsides so far. One of them has to do with the very latest Unleashed firmware for them (200.9.10.4.233). I was getting kernel panics on it, so I had to use the immediately prior build (200.9.10.4.212) instead. Supposedly, it has something to do with having wifi calling prioritization enabled on that build, so if I really cared, I could try turning that off and upgrading again to test, but I haven't really cared enough to do that since they're apparently working on fixing it for the next release.

The other issue has to do with me living in a condo complex with lots of neighbors. If I turn on the option to have the APs automatically select the best channels to use, they sometimes switch multiple times a minute just due to how congested things are here, which dumps all the connected clients on the AP while that happens. So, unless I move somewhere else that's less congested, I just can't use that feature.

Good info on Ruckus, thanks. Nice to know you can run without a license or goofing around. Bluesocket used to be like that.
I use UniFi right now but if I had to do this again, and I wanted something that didn't just plug into the wall, I don't think I would go with Ubiquiti and their pretend enterprise a second time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Partycat posted:

pretend enterprise

"Pretenderprise" is a good word.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Pretenderprise" is a good word.

Thread title?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I was told this was a good thread to ask for a rec on a PCIE SATA controller daughter board?

Preferably a +4 at minimum

it is for personal use, not for work or a business or whatever

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sounds like they should have pointed you at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

these fetch quests suck

thanks!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

I know when I got my Ruckus switch that the servethehome thread that gave me the idea to buy one had a recommended firmware for that a few versions back. probably the same for most equipment

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I swapped over to Eero from Unifi when I moved into my new house and I’ve got a couple UAC-AP-PROs with PoE injectors and a 60W 8 port switch if anyone is in the market.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unifi question. I'm running a controller (just a small PC running Debian, not the official unifi dream machine device) and 3 AP's and generally, it works OK (I do have occasional issues where i need to disconnect and reconnect to wifi, especially on my phone), but I'm seeing this in my dashboard:

Looks like its dropping a bunch?

My other AP's look like this

Is that first one dying, or is there some reason for it to look like that?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I believe that's what it looks like when there's no clients connected.

Edit: yeah

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, I thought it was dying.

It is typically my least used AP so that makes sense

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

God drat, one of my clients reached out to let me know their wifi was slow to barely working. Yep, the cloud controller turned on wireless uplink with the update to version 6. Luckily they don't have much infrastructure using wifi, just personal phones and a laptop or two.

Ubiquiti WAP posted:

Why would I use this gigabit cable for uplink when there's a perfectly good wireless uplink I can barely hear through all this concrete and steel?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rexxed posted:

God drat, one of my clients reached out to let me know their wifi was slow to barely working. Yep, the cloud controller turned on wireless uplink with the update to version 6. Luckily they don't have much infrastructure using wifi, just personal phones and a laptop or two.

Yup noticed the same at my parents place the other day. It's the "enable mesh" setting on the AP right? I disabled it since they both APs they have are wired. They have a UDM & two FlexHD's.

I don't even see that setting on my Cloud Key Gen 2 w/ FlexHD's though, thought I was running the latest version 6 stuff already too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fletcher posted:

Yup noticed the same at my parents place the other day. It's the "enable mesh" setting on the AP right? I disabled it since they both APs they have are wired. They have a UDM & two FlexHD's.

I don't even see that setting on my Cloud Key Gen 2 w/ FlexHD's though, thought I was running the latest version 6 stuff already too.

For them (2 Unifi Lites and 1 Lite 6) on the gen 1 cloud key it was in settings -> site under the services section as just enable wireless uplink. According to ubiquiti it should have to be manually configured beyond that to use the mesh settings with To and From in the radios section for each WAP configuration, but in this case it was just using it for some reason. I can't explain it but turning wireless uplink off on that page seems to have fixed it. Very confusing.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002262328-UniFi-Configuring-a-Wireless-Uplink

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was coming here to ask about Unfi Ap availability, but everyone is starting to shy away from them now ?

My Asus 86AU on merlin fw poo poo the bed on sunday, and the netgear router i replaced it with as a stop gap is just horrible Im going the route of dedicated router , separate AP like i should have done in the first place. I'm pretty open, but i want to walk the line between ssh only commands to configure things vs a big single 'setup' button. I absolutely LOATHE the fact netgear / asus want you to log in for cloud management vs the appliance itself.

I have a 1800 sqf house that is basically stacked on itself, and I was looking towards a edgerouter x and a single Unfi 6 lite or maybe the nanohd. I do have a managed switch that I was going to play around w/ VLANs with for IOT things like lightswitches, etc but i never got around to it. Since the equipment I want seems OOS at the moment, is there something else I didnt consider ? Stati IP assignments, DHCP ranges, VLANs., QOS, are all something I want control over

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Roundboy posted:

I was coming here to ask about Unfi Ap availability, but everyone is starting to shy away from them now ?

My Asus 86AU on merlin fw poo poo the bed on sunday, and the netgear router i replaced it with as a stop gap is just horrible Im going the route of dedicated router , separate AP like i should have done in the first place. I'm pretty open, but i want to walk the line between ssh only commands to configure things vs a big single 'setup' button. I absolutely LOATHE the fact netgear / asus want you to log in for cloud management vs the appliance itself.

I have a 1800 sqf house that is basically stacked on itself, and I was looking towards a edgerouter x and a single Unfi 6 lite or maybe the nanohd. I do have a managed switch that I was going to play around w/ VLANs with for IOT things like lightswitches, etc but i never got around to it. Since the equipment I want seems OOS at the moment, is there something else I didnt consider ? Stati IP assignments, DHCP ranges, VLANs., QOS, are all something I want control over

I still like their products since for the most part they just work great, but the company has always done questionable things. In the past it was more like overpromising and under delivering, usually on software or firmware. The recent incidents are where their account database got hacked (I had 2FA on so no huge deal for me) and then they put ads for their equipment on the controller's page which is stupid, and controller firmware version 6 changed some settings so if you blindly upgraded you might have a few things to fix, which seems silly.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy their stuff especially in your situation where you're just getting an edgerouter and one WAP. It's still a good value for money despite the business being annoyingly run.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Another caveat is that their devices are full of trap settings that gently caress you over. Like things sound cool - Wifi AI or something - and are completely broken and will disable parts of your network. Or when they add meshing in an update that defaults to "on" and suddenly 3 of your APs aren't using their ethernet connections for an uplink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I just moved into a 2400sf two story house that's not wired. My last two homes had ethernet in each room, and I ran a router with satellites (like unifi) to cover each floor. I'd like to not install ethernet right now, but the last time I had a single wireless router was maybe 8 years ago and at the time (and maybe still today) expectation for covering two floors was pretty unrealistic (and I was in a 1200sf home). Has tech improved in any way to make a router viable for this type of coverage, or even a mesh kit with satellites and dedicated backhaul? We stream 4k and play games, but don't need guaranteed ghz speeds, just want solid connection and coverage at playable pings.

Other online forums seem pretty zealous that ' you must install ethernet at all costs or else,' but I'm hoping that's not the only way to survive until we save up some money for renovations.