Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Computer viking posted:

Both BeOS and QNX Photon have some of that feeling, yeah. I fully get how the classic Mac users must have felt about their snappy, pretty desktops back when windows 3 was the new hotness, or how the Sgi people felt in a world of CDE and terminals.

A friend of mine around the early 2000s was big into BeOS and he'd be all smug at LAN parties about how many videos and MP3s his PC could play simultaneously. The UI was very snappy indeed and looked quite good amongst the sea of Win98/2000/XP with various garish color schemes.

I've been playing around with older Mac OS versions (System 6/7/8, Mac OS 8/9) in emulators. For the older versions, they were at the forefront of desktop UI, especially when you compare to the contemporary Windows versions. Win3.x was good and I liked it back then, but it was also significantly more primitive. Then around Win95 and especially Win98, it really seems like Apple were running out of steam software-wise. OS X was a major shot in the arm, and I think they could have won a lot more market share, if it had come out just a year or two earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s disappointing that both OS X and Windows 10 have likely settled on their respective ideal OS UI and there isn’t anything new coming down the pike. Don’t get me wrong, not are great in their current iterations, but they’ll likely not change appreciably.

Windows has looked basically the same since windows 95 and OS X has looked basically the same since whenever it came out. The different editions are coats of paint on the same design essentially

I feel like we won’t get another MacOS->OSX or Win 3.11->Win95 paradigm shift again any time soon

There really doesn't need to be though. Computers are becoming a thing people use for work, and cell phones have come to fill the niche most computers were filling 10 years ago

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

A friend of mine around the early 2000s was big into BeOS and he'd be all smug at LAN parties about how many videos and MP3s his PC could play simultaneously. The UI was very snappy indeed and looked quite good amongst the sea of Win98/2000/XP with various garish color schemes.

I ran BeOS as my main os for like a year in college. I got fed up with Windows 2000 era BS and switched for a while. It had a really good online App Store that was frequently updated and had most of the stuff you’d want to turn it into your daily driver OS

Between the NetPositive browser to surf the web and access Blackboard, whatever Office clone they had, and MP3 player and the built in movie playing capabilities I was pretty set as far as college coursework was concerned.

I really only booted into windows for games.

It was glorious

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

There really doesn't need to be though. Computers are becoming a thing people use for work, and cell phones have come to fill the niche most computers were filling 10 years ago

I know but I want there to be

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They tried making Windows into a tile-based Windows Phone-like UI, in Win8

but immediately walked it back and pretended it didn't happen

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I used Windows Phone for a few years in 2012-2015 or something. The OS itself was extremely solid UI-wise and miles ahead contemporary Android, the tile-based system was easy to take in at a glance and everything you wanted to do was never more than a few taps away. It felt like it was everything Apple claims their products were at that point, easy and quick and well-designed. The problem was that the Nokia hardware it ran on was mostly crap in all but the highest price points. It remains a huge 'what could have been' if it could've clawed some market share from Android and iOS, I personally loved it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Data Graham posted:

iirc while they were still chasing paradigm shifts for the sake of it there were some internal Longhorn (or Blackcomb?) betas that had some kind of ring-shaped knockoff of the osx dock, either to replace the taskbar or complement it. It didn't last long. That pointless win+tab view that showed open windows in a cascading 3D perspective sure did make it to the final product though, and I think it took until W8 for them to replace it with an actually-useful exposé type deal.

E. lmao I just remembered this thing, and how people on Digg absolutely lost their minds at how it was totally gonna be the future of desktop interfaces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

Pretty good has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Apr 27, 2021

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m trying to find the motivation to set this up. Maybe use it to play CDs. It’s been in the box in my garage for almost 20 years now.

Ninja edit: that’s assuming all the caps haven’t blown while sitting there

Worlds bulkiest digital photo frame?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Take the stand off and mount it next to your front door like an intercom

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the last time i saw a TAM for sale locally the guy wanted a zillion dollars for it

how much for yours

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

Worlds bulkiest digital photo frame?

It’s an active matrix screen but was still super lovely and small by today’s standards. The sound is the best thing it has going for it. Though lots of the CD drives had problems because I dont think the mechanism was designed to be used vertically.

And the speaker grilles were notorious for getting runs in them, though mine were pristine when I packed it up. Who knows what they look like now though.

The best thing I can say about the system is it has the best startup sound of any Mac.

I doubt I’d sell it because someone would either be overpaying, or I wouldn’t get enough to not feel bad about not having this (semi)collectible computer anymore.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s disappointing that both OS X and Windows 10 have likely settled on their respective ideal OS UI and there isn’t anything new coming down the pike. Don’t get me wrong, both are great in their current iterations, but they’ll likely not change appreciably.

Windows has looked basically the same since windows 95 and OS X has looked basically the same since whenever it came out. The different editions are coats of paint on the same design essentially

I feel like we won’t get another MacOS->OSX or Win 3.11->Win95 paradigm shift again any time soon

The Linux world is still experimenting with UI, at least a little. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

Granted, I don't think any of those experiments have actually improved things much beyond the basic notions that crystallized with Win95. The Unity desktop and especially GNOME 3 are just annoying to use, in my opinion. Give me a nice simple interface like Cinnamon or MATE or Xfce, and I'll be happy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t there a BeOS that had an interface like an actual office with file cabinets and whatnot? I remember installing something like that on a Mac around the time that BeOS was making noise, but I don’t recall if that was it. Either way, it was a pain in the rear end and not nearly as useful as the idea seemed to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Packard-Bell had a thing like that. Everybody had that “Software ... that looks like ... THINGS :catdrugs:” brainwave in the 90s at some point

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wasn’t there a BeOS that had an interface like an actual office with file cabinets and whatnot? I remember installing something like that on a Mac around the time that BeOS was making noise, but I don’t recall if that was it. Either way, it was a pain in the rear end and not nearly as useful as the idea seemed to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeuomorph

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't there some crazy guy who was trying to make the ultimate skeuomorphic interface or something? It was some weird word like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I know what it's called (didnt use the term because I couldn't remember how to spell it) but I'm trying to recall what OS had that interface.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I know what it's called (didnt use the term because I couldn't remember how to spell it) but I'm trying to recall what OS had that interface.

early versions of iOS, i think?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

early versions of iOS, i think?

This was probably 97 or so, so it would have been a super early iOS.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

The thing you hate on your laptop can now be the thing you hate on your desktop! Progress!

Hate? I love this mother loving thing.

I have massive fingers and trying to do fancy gesture on the track pad being an impossibility plus not hitting the track pad while typing is great!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

This was probably 97 or so, so it would have been a super early iOS.

i think they were still trying to make it work until like iOS7 but im not a mac guy so im not the most reliable resource

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Data Graham posted:

best of all they tried making their server OS like that too!

good lord I hated Server 2012, that full screen start menu

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Maybe you're thinking of General Magic?

https://www.microsoft.com/buxtoncollection/detail.aspx?id=37

They were associated with Apple iirc (either started from or funded by), so maybe you might've made the connection that way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There was also Microsoft Bob:

http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*runs the "mysterious technological-looking box with a screen and keyboard" program*

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Data Graham posted:

*runs the "mysterious technological-looking box with a screen and keyboard" program*

It's a GeoSafari...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Unfortunately for you it's GeoSafari, a geography learning game:

It's based on these things that I remember from elementary school in the 90s:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I hadn't thought about those things in easily 25 years before Technology Connections did a vid on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZHA3qTc6c

My kindergarten got a couple and there were so many physical fights over them during free time that they ended up getting like ten more, which was definitely a good and healthy lesson.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also our mid-to-late 90s family computer never had microsoft bob, but it did boot into Packard Bell Navigator by default!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

We had a Mac with eWorld. Then my Dad realized that eWorld was not a local phone number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HhsKhG4hk

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pretty good posted:

Also our mid-to-late 90s family computer never had microsoft bob, but it did boot into Packard Bell Navigator by default!

I want a globe that says INTERNET on it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Pretty good posted:

My kindergarten got a couple and there were so many physical fights over them during free time that they ended up getting like ten more, which was definitely a good and healthy lesson.

In first grade we had four of them but no way of powering them because our teacher couldn't convince the school to buy batteries. After seeing that video, I feel like I missed out. Pointless geography memorization sucks but it looks like that thing was really versatile and I bet my teacher could have done some cool things with it.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Pretty good posted:

those hella remind me of the house at the start of heavy rain... or maybe i just dont know that many rich peoples houses, dunno

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

LifeSunDeath posted:

I want a globe that says INTERNET on it.

That'd make a great router.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty good posted:

What if we took Myst, and replaced explorer.exe with it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/cyndemoya/status/1387268764165500936?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, no comparison to a stack of encyclopedia pages?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What if we took Myst, and replaced explorer.exe with it?

Go farther.

process management via doom. psDoom

EVIL Gibson has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Apr 28, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is a Unix system, I know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

Go farther.

process management via doom. psDoom

My favorite thing about this is that monsters will fight each other in doom--so you'll get random processes just being killed off while you're trying to compute.

E: also I feel like I haven't seen a Pinky from the side before and I don't like it