Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

holy poo poo haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Hoo ahh

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/RandyRRQuaid/status/1387123773153947655

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Dracula Factory posted:

One thing I never quite gleaned about the deep lore: Why exactly did Toni take such a stand as a juror in order to get the mistrial for Tim? Was there supposed to be any type of pre-existing relationship?

It's amazing because in a room full of people certain he's a monster, she's the only one who believes in him, based on absolutely no evidence. So, of course he marries her, because Tim is ultimately desperately alone. In interviews he often describes Tim and Greg as two characters who are together because no-one else can stand them. His teary plea at the end of the Oscar Special for Greg to leave is such a perfect vocalisation of that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My take on it is that Tim and Gregg are two different kinds of toxic personalities, Tim is extroverted and Gregg is introverted but ultimately they're both manipulative egoists.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I see it more as Tim being the typical far-right/conspiracy chud, while Gregg is the kind of gatekeeper super-fanboy geek. Though I think it took longer for (real) Gregg to develop that character persona than it did for (real) Tim, who already had it nailed down by the end of the podcast run.

Ultimately, two types of Very Online Person.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They both feel that they will be personally vindicated if they keep on with their toxic codependent relationship and performatively show off to impartial observers how good they are and how bad the other one is. They're continually chasing the dragon of having someone like Joe say "You know what, you were right all along, and the other guy is a total loser and idiot".

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Except that Gregg knows about movie runtimes and is the real mister movies

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

toni needs the wine to take the edge off when tim really goes beserk, but she does genuinely like him. she thinks he's a smart business man, because he's a grifter and she's a rube. they also have overlap in their political beliefs, and she seems to be attracted to him for his eagerness to stand up against authority. it makes a lot of sense and she feels like one of the most realistic characters in the show

makes sense, don't forget that Toni was revealed to be part of a pyramid scene this special

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey that pyramid scheme is funding HEI Network thank you very much!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

is there any update on the baby situation? is there going to be a Tom Cruise Heidecker III?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Toni's had a meteoric rise in the OC universe - mr america was less than two years ago. The character has gained a lot of depth in a short time, when I suppose she could have been a one-note player like ax/manuel

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hasn't he been holed up in Canada for a few years because he'll get arrested as soon as he steps foot on US soil?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

It was funny to see Tim finally direct some of his rage at Axiom and Manuel. Has he ever shown them anything besides weird brotherly reverence before?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
okay I'm finally watching the first half hour or so which I missed due to the technical problems and lmaooo it's amazing how on the rails this started out

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Toni's had a meteoric rise in the OC universe - mr america was less than two years ago. The character has gained a lot of depth in a short time, when I suppose she could have been a one-note player like ax/manuel

That is kind of crazy to think, she's only been around for a year and a half or so. I didn't really like her performance in Mr. America, I felt like she was acting a bit too much, but I think she got more into the tone during the subsequent season.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Hey that pyramid scheme is funding HEI Network thank you very much!

not anymore lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

That is kind of crazy to think, she's only been around for a year and a half or so. I didn't really like her performance in Mr. America, I felt like she was acting a bit too much, but I think she got more into the tone during the subsequent season.

The movie and the last season are on the other end of 2020 from here, so I can't remember much along those lines but that makes sense. I need to rewatch the last season

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Disappointed with how much Mark Proksch we got.

Also, it was a really ambitious thing to do and they pulled it off beautifully.

I do hope they go back to a more traditional format next time around.

huh fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 28, 2021

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

derp posted:

not anymore lol

Yeah I think we might see Toni's business crumbling because of the bad publicity while HEI Network is still a success, so Tim is no longer dependent on her and quickly starts to resent her and Matt.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
hoo ahhhhhh

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

robot roll call posted:

It was funny to see Tim finally direct some of his rage at Axiom and Manuel. Has he ever shown them anything besides weird brotherly reverence before?

With him dumping resources into the HEI Network, I think this special is one of the first times Tim has started to realize that he's surrounded himself with people that help feed his ego but are actually wildly incompetent at most things. His anger at Axiom and Manuel and Rock House betrayed how worried he is about this whole house of cards collapsing.

In that same vein, I appreciated that once Tim anointed Joe as "Mister Money," Joe wanted to take the job seriously and made note cards and everything

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Joe always puts his 100% into the assignment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Joe is amazing. He is fantastic at improv, has hilarious timing, and this version he plays of himself is so God drat believable. He honest to God deserves an emmy for his work on On Cinema

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Joe's delivery of "oh he'll be over the moon!" regarding Tim's recovery and return to OCATC plays in my head a lot

He's too realistic

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Joe is amazing. He is fantastic at improv, has hilarious timing, and this version he plays of himself is so God drat believable. He honest to God deserves an emmy for his work on On Cinema

There's a bit in the rehearsal footage where tim is directing/noting joe on how he should soft-talk tim into calling gregg. A lot of respect and trust both ways.

There's also a couple minutes where they are setting up gregg's calls to joe where he asks if he can just use his actual phone, which is of course a flip phone, because he's admittedly "still stuck in 1996". Protect joe at all costs

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Tim and Gregg are definitely locked in a narcissistic, codependent death ouroboros at this point. Greg needs Tim because Tim's a hustler who makes (bad) things happen which gives Gregg opportunities to assert his value as an expert to an audience, and Tim needs Gregg because he hasn't gotten Gregg to admit that he's Tim's inferior yet. It's kind of like the Daniel\Eli relationship in There Will Be Blood, except since it takes place in modern day southern California & they're both massive celebrity obsessed failures, the stakes are really low, dumb & trashy.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Heinetwork.tv now has both streams edited for proper synchronization, and a side-by-side version.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Heinetwork.tv now has both streams edited for proper synchronization, and a side-by-side version.

https://www.heinetwork.tv/oscar-special/combined-special/

hell yes

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Clearly the only reason Tim was angry with Rock House was it reminded everyone of Axiom's beautiful singing voice and his rage at being outdone came to light. Otherwise, Rock House was the perfect trailer for a perfect show.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Raeg posted:

Clearly the only reason Tim was angry with Rock House was it reminded everyone of Axiom's beautiful singing voice and his rage at being outdone came to light. Otherwise, Rock House was the perfect trailer for a perfect show.

This was my interpretation too, it's so perfect that axiom and manuel are actually talented but have somehow been manipulated and used up by tim. like lolol that Tim is the singer when ax has a voice like that. Also remember it came out in the Trial that empty bottle was basically a remake of a song by manuel's old band

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

manuel and axiom are interesting characters. they remind me a lot of the crew that hung around Joe Exotic, in that they are clearly benefitting from their association with Tim, with him funding their lifestyles, but to some extent the closeness isn't totally fabricated. like, axiom probably didn't have to give tim his hand. and i feel like i remember other instances of them showing some genuine concern for tim, that seemed a bit beyond their typical yes-manning.

it wouldn't shock me to learn that tim has control over their immigration status

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRjNkiDaeI

another patriot struck down in service to his country. rip la roux. wwg1wga.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

manuel and axiom are interesting characters. they remind me a lot of the crew that hung around Joe Exotic, in that they are clearly benefitting from their association with Tim, with him funding their lifestyles, but to some extent the closeness isn't totally fabricated. like, axiom probably didn't have to give tim his hand. and i feel like i remember other instances of them showing some genuine concern for tim, that seemed a bit beyond their typical yes-manning.

it wouldn't shock me to learn that tim has control over their immigration status

I've been obsessing over these kind of larger-than-life people and the galaxies of hangers-on that form around them for years now. Joe Exotic, Trump, "Tim", one or two or three guys I know personally — it's a pattern that plays out over and over and people just seem naturally to perpetuate it when it starts to form. It's symbiotic and self-destructive all at once, to say nothing of hugely damaging to everything and everyone around it, except those who are able to ride it and grow fat off it for as long as the emotional ponzi scheme holds out. I really think humanity needs these kinds of open-eyed studies of these Type-A Idiot Geniuses because they're going to be the doom of our species

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite moments that really encapsulates their dynamic is Gregg's Visit to Bond segment. Tim is being his usual unbearably obnoxious self so you instinctively want to defend Gregg, but at the same time it's like... Gregg, man, this segment sucks. He's just wordlessly posing with a gun in front of a powerpoint.

Any time the show forces you to empathize with Tim is when the show really shines imo - another major instance of that is the DNA test proving it's the "real" James Dean, since you share the same frustration with the lack of closure.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its absolutely conclusively the real james dean, imo

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

its absolutely conclusively the real james dean, imo

Do you think this is a loving joke?

Edit for actual content: one of the things I really love with all of Tim's various hangers on (except for Toni, i guess) is that they almost completely ignore Gregg. Dr. San spoke only to Tim and stared off when Gregg complained about him, and Ax and Manuel do the same thing. It makes for great awkwardness but you also get the sense they're waiting to see if Tim will recognize that Gregg is right, Tim really is being used

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 28, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The show just wouldn't work as well if it were a simple straight man/comedy man dynamic. I love the fact that whenever Gregg does try to do his own thing it's just as weird, bad, and incompetent as Tim but for entirely different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Do you think this is a loving joke?

Edit for actual content: one of the things I really love with all of Tim's various hangers on (except for Toni, i guess) is that they almost completely ignore Gregg. Dr. San spoke only to Tim and stared off when Gregg complained about him, and Ax and Manuel do the same thing. It makes for great awkwardness but you also get the sense they're waiting to see if Tim will recognize that Gregg is right, Tim really is being used

What I noticed during the special was actually Manuel being really nice to Gregg. He helped him carry all his stuff, later when Gregg gave him the watch Manuel seemed genuinely thankful and said it was cool and put it on. Gregg didn't even have to tell him Tim said to like he told Toni.