Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

christmas boots posted:

Same with Jimmy Hoffa and DB Cooper

DB Cooper at least has some mild lingering allure because of the treasure hunt angle. Dude might be a skeleton by now, but that skeleton might sitting on top of all that ransom money!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I imagine the overlap between "online enough to be into qanon" and "old enough to care about Elvis" is pretty small.

I was thinking about Elvis the other day, for some reason. He was definitely well before my time but still a major cultural icon when I was a kid. For instance I had the movie Rockadoodle on VHS which was about Elvis if he was a chicken (also some live action bits about a boy drowning or something idk). I can't imagine kids these days even know who he is.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Moon Monster posted:

I was thinking about Elvis the other day, for some reason. He was definitely well before my time but still a major cultural icon when I was a kid. For instance I had the movie Rockadoodle on VHS which was about Elvis if he was a chicken (also some live action bits about a boy drowning or something idk). I can't imagine kids these days even know who he is.

Long, long after the names of my family and friends have vanished from my brain, I will still remember the bird badly humming Ride of the Valkyries and laughing about sending the heroes down an “adequate” pipe.

I haven’t seen that movie in at least 25 years.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://youtu.be/pswCT-TVmHw

(Skip to 15:35)

...this had to be deliberate, right? I mean, was any of this stuff known already in the mid 2000s or is this the world’s most awkward coincidence?

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Apr 27, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AceOfFlames posted:

...this had to be deliberate, right? I mean, was any of this stuff known already in the mid 2000s or is this the world’s most awkward coincidence?

He was arrested and charged in 2005 and convicted in 2008 and I believe this particular puff piece came out in 2003.

It's just hysterically awkward.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

There's a child in the background of the photo of him on the plane.

EDIT:

I AM GRANDO has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Apr 27, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

AceOfFlames posted:

A condensed version that blends the two offending segments:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1386849380863414274

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

That's not a coincidence

A year or so ago I posted about how greys still spooked me (y'know, some people are afraid of clowns, or snakes, or spiders, for me it's greys), and when I woke up the next morning, some adventurous soul had pasted the face from the cover of Communion over top of my av of Philippe from Achewood

The five seconds of "WHAT THE gently caress" I experienced are still one of the better scares of my life

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

No, they started lifting weights

The bulge makes me very uncomfy

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They talked about X-Files on an episode of Chapo and the guest they had on said something close to those lines. X-Files came out right as The Cold War had ended and there was a brief moment in time where America had no major enemy, so we started looking inward. Then 9/11 happened and it was back to business as usual. Interesting episode, about how UFO abduction narratives changed through the decades.
This sounds super interesting and I'm going to listen to it asap, thanks.

In a similar vein, Kumail Nanjiani has an entire podcast on rewatching the X-Files in modern times and it's amazing: https://www.stitcher.com/show/kumail-nanjianis-the-xfiles-files

The most interesting thing for me was the rabbit hole of the old webgroups (on yahoo, I think) where people were talking about the show and how a bunch of early internet nerds accidentally were central to shape the show (apparently studio execs were still using "X interactions are equal to X*N people, based on physical mail feedback numbers in that period of time, so 50 or so people talking about X-Files on a message boards were perceived as representing hundred of thousands of viewers and treated accordingly. And were responsible, among other things, in making both the cigarette smoking man and the Lone Gunmen into recurring characters instead of 1 off ones). At the time of the recording, these message boards were still available (saved as Google groups) and Kumail digs deep into them; it's honestly one of the most interesting form of modern day archaeology I've witnessed.

Edit: the podcast and his evident passion for the X-Files are also reasons for his cameo in the last Series of the show.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Apr 27, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The dawn of a lot of that stuff was in the 90s. Rush Limbaugh walked so that they could run. Fox News as well. I feel like the first real right-wing media outrage cycle dates to Clinton getting investigated and impeached elected.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

A condensed version that blends the two offending segments:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1386849380863414274

this is incredible :lol:

edit: wait, he was a TEACHER? :psyduck:

Mr Interweb has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Apr 28, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Hired by William Barr’s father.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mr Interweb posted:

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Hired by William Barr’s father.

To a fancy private school, despite having no college degree!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Yes, maths teacher at a super exclusive school. Turned his school contacts and maths ability into a fortune by finding ways to reduce tax burden for the super wealthy.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Edit: the podcast and his evident passion for the X-Files are also reasons for his cameo in the last Series of the show.

Which, it just so happens, was the only episode from that series worth a drat.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

They talked about X-Files on an episode of Chapo and the guest they had on said something close to those lines. X-Files came out right as The Cold War had ended and there was a brief moment in time where America had no major enemy, so we started looking inward. Then 9/11 happened and it was back to business as usual. Interesting episode, about how UFO abduction narratives changed through the decades.

I guess Saddam was still a boogeyman and showing up in other media. I.e. Animaniacs started the same time as X-files and there was the Baghdad Cafe episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

That Italian Guy posted:

He also says in one episode of his irrational fear that he'll be the reason X-FILES dies a second death.
And the blame for the revival falling apart can be put squarely on Chris Carter among other factors, it can't feel good to be Kumail in the equation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pocket Billiards posted:

I guess Saddam was still a boogeyman and showing up in other media. I.e. Animaniacs started the same time as X-files and there was the Baghdad Cafe episode.

Saddam was an omnipresent boogeyman up until his death. For those who weren't in touch with the situation 25-ish years ago, Clinton was still in the business of bombing Baghdad even up through Christmas 1998, months after Animaniacs went off the air. Saddam was a late night punchline, regular fixture in Mad/Cracked Magazine, and the worlds easiest punching bag throughout the 90s.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They shoulda called him So-drat Insane!!!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Blowback Season 1 covers this really well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pocket Billiards posted:

Toshimo posted:

Saddam was an omnipresent boogeyman up until his death. For those who weren't in touch with the situation 25-ish years ago, Clinton was still in the business of bombing Baghdad even up through Christmas 1998, months after Animaniacs went off the air. Saddam was a late night punchline, regular fixture in Mad/Cracked Magazine, and the worlds easiest punching bag throughout the 90s.

Basically anyone who America bombed without seemingly any repercussions became the de facto "enemy" for a few weeks, and it'd show up in whatever TV shows were airing live or written during that time. Serbia for a couple of months, Libya and Gaddafi at various points. The times it didn't work out cleanly on TV, not so much (See Somalia).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwC4snVYFmw

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fartknocker posted:

Basically anyone who America bombed without seemingly any repercussions became the de facto "enemy" for a few weeks, and it'd show up in whatever TV shows were airing live or written during that time. Serbia for a couple of months, Libya and Gaddafi at various points. The times it didn't work out cleanly on TV, not so much (See Somalia).

There were unironically multiple different product lines of Desert Shield/Storm Trading Cards. And, they weren't just for weird conservative bastions. Like, they were in every sports card store and big box retail chain. I think even in the grocery stores.

poo poo was a whole 'nother level.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Toshimo posted:

There were unironically multiple different product lines of Desert Shield/Storm Trading Cards. And, they weren't just for weird conservative bastions. Like, they were in every sports card store and big box retail chain. I think even in the grocery stores.

poo poo was a whole 'nother level.

There was a box of those in a local thrift store last time I was there. Almost picked them up, but they're not funny enough to be worth having.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone bought a box of a similar set and posted a thread about them a couple of years back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm reminded of the approximately 800,000 lovely DOS games that are all some variation of "shoot/bomb/stab The Bad Guys in the desert".

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

At least we will always have 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

At least we will always have 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

ooh thanks for reminding me that i gotta re-watch spartacus

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I'm reminded of the approximately 800,000 lovely DOS games that are all some variation of "shoot/bomb/stab The Bad Guys in the desert".

Around 2002 on TechTV(before it got merged into G4TV) one of those shows with Leo Laporte had some guy come in for a segment on modding games. All he did was show off a mod he made for loving Duke Nukem 3D called Quest for Al-Qaeda which had the player go through all kinds of brown environments and shoot guys in turbans. A couple years later they had him on again to show off his new mod, which was literally the same thing but called Quest for Hussein.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The creator of Entourage is upset about the show's legacy and that he wasn't given another.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/entourage-doug-ellin-culture-wars-controversy-metoo-hbo-reboot-170050416.html
To be fair, I've never seen it. HBO stuff just shows up in my google news feed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

deoju posted:

The creator of Entourage is upset about the show's legacy and that he wasn't given another.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/entourage-doug-ellin-culture-wars-controversy-metoo-hbo-reboot-170050416.html

I've never seen it but it has a reputation as kind of a "bro" type show. IIRC a lot of it is based on real experiences working in the movie industry which is probably the same way

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

deoju posted:

I used to just think it was "Sex and the City: For Boys" before this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMpRMXMTGY

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I used to watch Entourage because we had HBO I’m my college’s cable package. They had the rapper Saigon on it once. Seeing him live and the Great Recession put a nail in any kind of will to watch that show for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's literally a show about Mark Wahlberg's twenties. No poo poo it's not gonna age well.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I used to just think it was "Sex and the City: For Boys" before this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMpRMXMTGY
lol
To be fair, that documentary on the Islanders was pretty good.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's literally a show about Mark Wahlberg's twenties. No poo poo it's not gonna age well.

So there's an episode about them beating a Vietnamese man nearly to death? That DEFINITELY wouldn't age well. :v:

(Yes, I know Wahlberg was 17 at the time)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

deoju posted:

My brother described Entourage as "Sex and the City, but for blokes."

For me it was a celebration of bro-ey toxic masculinity, with the wish fullfillment character of the main guy, who got to be handsome and a rich movie star etc. and all his mates who got to get blowjobs from starlets just by being his mate/hanger on. And with Jeremy Piven as the comedy releif character who gets to do/say racist and misogynist things and is adored by the audience that never realizes what a monster/loser he actually is. (Much like Barney from How I met your mother.)

It's an OK show to have on in the background whilst you are cleaning the house, but if you sit and watch it, you will feel yourself getting progressively dumber.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Mr Interweb posted:

Check out the Epstein thread. We have such sights to show you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Phy posted:

It's nowhere near the peak it was at in the 90s but you still get the occasional bit of abduction narrative in pop culture, and by now the greys are inextricably linked to that

I'm always down for a UFO movie, and since 9/11 there's been Signs, The Fourth Kind, Paul, Dark Skies, the X-files relaunch, a fistful of found-footage movies about Area 51 and/or the Phoenix Lights, 2019's The Vast of Night (which features no on-screen aliens but is UFO as hell), and probably some other TV shows that I never got around to watching.

Also the Alienware logo.

Greys get mentioned in Resident Alien as a species that exists. The main character, himself an alien, makes repeated reference to them and the whole abduction thing as them being creepy little fuckers with some unpleasant fetishes IIRC.