Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with the Phantom Zone stuff is that it feels very cheap. All the sets feel extremely claustrophobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem with the Phantom Zone stuff is that it feels very cheap. All the sets feel extremely claustrophobic.

I seem to recall the Phantom Zone on Smallville having a similar problem. It was like, what, a really poorly white balanced overly foggy junkyard. Or am I misremembering a show I barely actually watched?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

There's two phantom zone sets: cave and greenscreen'd wasteland. and neither are all that great for getting a sense of space and volume with what budget the show has. The tokusatsu shows airing right now are running into the same issue with their greenscreen'd things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh God Lena is now the team tech geek I love it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal Nyxi :argh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
drat this place is fragile

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Stoked for next week's episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Phantom Zone seems to be extremely poorly thought out - both by the writers and by its in-story designers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have no idea if this phantom zone is a canonically correct depiction; but as someone with no comic book knowledge if this is how Kryptonians punished their prisoners then they were a pretty hosed up society.

Also this plotline has gone on way too long. This is the final season of the show and we've already wasted a quarter of it.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
One fairly consistent theme in all Superman, Supergirl and Power Girl stories is they all have heavily-embellished memories or understanding of Krypton, and actually it and their society was super hosed. Kara being pissed in earlier series about how trashy Daxam is was very pot-kettle once you realise the Phantom Zone is essentially the hell dimension from Event Horizon and Kryptonians would send anyone there for the slightest misdemeanour.
The look of it in this is rather more 60s Star Trek, but the implications and intent are definitely in-keeping with comics. Kryptonians were a bunch of complete pricks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Stoked for next week's episode.

That looks like it will be a lot of fun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I have no idea if this phantom zone is a canonically correct depiction; but as someone with no comic book knowledge if this is how Kryptonians punished their prisoners then they were a pretty hosed up society.

Also this plotline has gone on way too long. This is the final season of the show and we've already wasted a quarter of it.

iirc, the Phantom Zone traditionally kinda turns people into ghosts so there wouldn't be all this leg breaking and people dying. It would still be turbo-hosed though.

And yeah, like Pressedbunny said, there's usually a strong undercurrent in stories about Krypton of Krypton being kind of a lovely place. I mean, no matter the medium, the one common denominator of all Superman stories is that Krypton died because they ignored all the warning signs their planet was gonna loving explode.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 22, 2021

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I lived the part where Brainy was freaking out about Lena's invention being like Ghostbusters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing the recording made it funny how Supergirl being in the Phantom Zone means she has a different hairstyle for some reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

It's more hosed up in the comics! It's an invisible dimension parallel to ours where anyone sent is rendered ageless and insubstantial, condemned to forever observe the real world while never being able to interact with it. It's basically Science Tartarus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone seen Mortal Kombat yet? Mechad Brooks in it and he's uh...

...he's HUGE.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Anyone seen Mortal Kombat yet? Mechad Brooks in it and he's uh...

...he's HUGE.

I knew he sounded familiar!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His arms so just fuckin enormous.

I'm pretty thrilled to see Brooks getting solid work after Supergirl, I always thought he was underused.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

His arms so just fuckin enormous.

I'm pretty thrilled to see Brooks getting solid work after Supergirl, I always thought he was underused.

Too bad the movie suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Too bad the movie suuuuuuuuuuucks.

It's an enormous trash fire.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

It's an enormous trash fire.

Its better than Annihilation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Barely.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

Barely.

I watch Supergirl every week, I can't call that movie a trash fire. The action scenes were fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

I watch Supergirl every week, I can't call that movie a trash fire. The action scenes were fun.

Oh it's so much better than the average CW show.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

twistedmentat posted:

On every technical level, yes.
It's nowhere near as entertaining as Annihilation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Do we know when production shut down on the show? A lot of this season (post-Phantom Zone) feels like it was written with the assumption that that's where the season would end. Like, Alex and Lena are acting like Kara's been gone for months not weeks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Do we know when production shut down on the show? A lot of this season (post-Phantom Zone) feels like it was written with the assumption that that's where the season would end. Like, Alex and Lena are acting like Kara's been gone for months not weeks.

I assume that the season premiere was originally going to be the finale, only spread out over a few episodes. Basically the season ends with Kara trapped in the phantom zone and Leviathan is defeated. I think they shut down production while still shooting ep 19 or so out of 22, but still had enough footage to cobble together a finale.

I just assume it's sloppy writing, not that they had any phantom zone scripts written already and are using those for season 6.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

To the best of my knowledge everything this season was filmed post shutdown. However, the premiere was supposed to be last season's finale. I also think they started filming when Benoist was still on maternity leave.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Brainy, Back to the Future is a bunch of bullshit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
YOUNG CAT

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is too cute

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This lady is doing a great Cat Grant impression, but let's be honest, in 2009 Calista Flockhart looked like Calista Flockhart.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ah this makes sense.

They were so drat lucky to find these kids.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

howe_sam posted:

This lady is doing a great Cat Grant impression, but let's be honest, in 2009 Calista Flockhart looked like Calista Flockhart.

That was before the CRISIS :v:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I was so relieved when Brainy said only he and Nia could go back. The past few episodes have felt so crowded and busy, but this episode allowed for some much needed downtime and character development for the two of them.

It feels like this episode is setting up Nia to try reaching out to her sister again (back in the present). I don't know how to feel about that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

McSpanky posted:

That was before the CRISIS :v:

Speaking of, Crisis also recast Kenny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jassa posted:

I was so relieved when Brainy said only he and Nia could go back. The past few episodes have felt so crowded and busy, but this episode allowed for some much needed downtime and character development for the two of them.
All of these shows have ended up with way too many major characters and too many concurrent plots, so an episode like this one that cuts it all down to a manageable number is such a breath of fresh air. I actually know what's going on and who all the characters are!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well this was a lot of fun. Pleasantly surprised it's going to be a 2 parter too.

Even though it would probably won't happen, I would laugh if Kenny died again. Poor guy just can't catch a break in any timeline.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Something happened to Kenny because he isn't a part of Kara's life anymore, or maybe he will be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess it is a question of whether or not in the normal course of events Kenny and Kara would have just broken up.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, that is a little goofy.