Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

It's fine, the car is AGILE!

The next iteration of this joke will make clear that being agile will allow the car to weave safely though traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

The next iteration of this joke will make clear that being agile will allow the car to weave safely though traffic.

We have decided to release a maintenance update to prevent page sniping.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, driving manually is a chore, but it seems so much more relaxing and easy than trying to babysit an insane computer which is great 80% of the time, and attempts to steer into traffic or onto a rail line the other 20% of the time.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Beelzebufo posted:

Watching Tesla driving videos gives me anxiety every time. Just watching the car decide to turn into traffic or run red lights would be enough for me to never, ever trust it again.

What is wrong with these people.

Bug report: Tesla ML has been trained with BMW data.

Proposed fix: Add Mercedes data.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

PT6A posted:

Yeah, driving manually is a chore, but it seems so much more relaxing and easy than trying to babysit an insane computer which is great 80% of the time, and attempts to steer into traffic or onto a rail line the other 20% of the time.

Obviously there's no intention behind it, but my animal brain has a hard time treating it as anything other than an assassination plot. Works often enough to lower your guard so it can slam into a semi-truck at 80 kph because it was the wrong colour, while you're distracted with the touchpad menu.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

This post has been marked working as intended with no other information

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

HootTheOwl posted:

assert(true)

Unit test passes, we're ready to ship.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beelzebufo posted:

Watching Tesla driving videos gives me anxiety every time. Just watching the car decide to turn into traffic or run red lights would be enough for me to never, ever trust it again.

What is wrong with these people.

move fast, break things

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

After a while, you're not even actively thinking about shifting etc., you just do it. Never considered it a chore (well, more than driving already is, build public transport).

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah you just listen to the radio while doing it, it's kind of relaxing. I'd much rather do that than babysit a suicidal AI.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Elman posted:

I'd much rather do that than babysit a suicidal AI.

Bit rude to refer to your kids that way imo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

What the gently caress. That's like, on the level of a decently impressive tech demo of something in ongoing development. Why in the world is that allowed on actual roads with actual people in the wild?! :psyduck:

It's an old truism that the intermediate levels autonomous driving along the lines of "can drive on its own but driver needs to be able to react within X seconds" are essentially worthless, since to be able to do that safely you basically need the same capabilities as 100% safe reliable autonomous driving. Tesla just manages to prove that again by just doing it unsafely.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

enki42 posted:

Basecamp, the perennial "we aren't like those lame VC companies, we're the cool progressive tech company" decided to pull a Coinbase and say, yes, we are actually like those lame VC companies.

https://world.hey.com/jason/changes-at-basecamp-7f32afc5

My favourite bit is how they're doing everyone a favour by getting rid of those 'paternalistic' benefits and helping everyone out by eliminating all that pesky fairness and accountability in reviews, or employees getting together to discuss things or have opinions on politics.

You'll never believe why they made this post!

https://www.platformer.news/p/-what-really-happened-at-basecamp

People at Basecamp including DHH had been keeping a racist list of customer names to make fun of for a decade. The "politics discussion" they banned was about the company's own practices.

xtal fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 28, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah it's unbelievable that it's allowed to make any control / steering inputs at all in that state.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fame Douglas posted:

After a while, you're not even actively thinking about shifting etc., you just do it. Never considered it a chore (well, more than driving already is, build public transport).

Yeah, I mean it's not difficult, I don't mind doing it either, but if there were a perfect AI that could actually drive safely without my intervention at all, I would probably prefer it to guiding my car through traffic, and then I'd just drive manually in "fun" situations instead of during my commute. But dealing with the constant possibility that I'd have to intervene, while at the same time not really having anything to do while the system is working properly, sounds absolutely like the worst of all worlds.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

You'll never believe why they made this post!

https://www.platformer.news/p/-what-really-happened-at-basecamp

People at Basecamp including DHH had been keeping a racist list of customer names to make fun of for a decade. The "politics discussion" they banned was about the company's own practices.

Can’t believe no one has leaked the list of funny customer names.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Well the autonomous driving space is shifting gears from "definitely tomorrow" to "maybe but possibly never". Uber and Lyft sold their autonomous divisions off. Waymo isn't really expanding and appears to not be buying the 80k SUVs for the taxi fleet they had planned.

Tesla went from 1 million robotaxis by the end of 2020 to
https://twitter.com/GordonJohnson19/status/1387379023496585220?s=19

Sad trombone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine being a Tesla customer that already paid extra for Full Self-Driving option.

Still love the car!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

withak posted:

Imagine being a Tesla customer that already paid extra for Full Self-Driving option.

Still love the car!

That's a ten thousand dollar whoopsie.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

That's a ten thousand dollar whoopsie.

As if, that's not even 20 bitcents or a couple natty lite doges or whatever.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Owling Howl posted:

Well the autonomous driving space is shifting gears from "definitely tomorrow" to "maybe but possibly never". Uber and Lyft sold their autonomous divisions off. Waymo isn't really expanding and appears to not be buying the 80k SUVs for the taxi fleet they had planned.

Tesla went from 1 million robotaxis by the end of 2020 to
https://twitter.com/GordonJohnson19/status/1387379023496585220?s=19

Sad trombone.

Well duh, you only tell the truth after you have the money. Otherwise you’d get less money.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

MickeyFinn posted:

Well duh, you only tell the truth after you have the money. Otherwise you’d get less money.

Elon just qualified for $11 billion in stock options equivalent to $22 million thousand per car sold in 2020 so it seems to work.

Edit: brain bad

Owling Howl fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 28, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

‘Disaster Girl’ has sold her popular meme as an NFT for $500,000

quote:

Another internet meme has sold for big bucks online: Zoë Roth, best known as “Disaster Girl” for the popular image macro taken by her father in 2005 of her smirking at the camera while a house burns down in the background, has sold the original copy of the meme as an NFT for 180 Ether, worth almost $500,000.

Roth tells The New York Times that she’ll use the money to pay off her student loans and to donate to charity. And as is the case with many NFT sales, the Roths also retain the copyright to the image and will make 10 percent off any future sales of the NFT.

Very curious to see if she can actually cash that amount of money out.

Also lol she's selling effectively infinite prints. NFTs keep getting dumber. I don't understand someone who would buy an image online (or a json pointing to a url, really) for 500k when you explicitly aren't getting the rights to it. What would be the point.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao @ "the original copy of the meme"

I wonder how she managed to upload the original to a server without creating a copy. NFTs are really stupid.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1388142522875187200

Inserting vulnerabilities into OSS, for science!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Beelzebufo posted:

Also lol she's selling effectively infinite prints. NFTs keep getting dumber. I don't understand someone who would buy an image online (or a json pointing to a url, really) for 500k when you explicitly aren't getting the rights to it. What would be the point.

Money laundering, that already happens in the art world

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't know if y'all have been following the Basecamp saga, but a third of the company just resigned.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1388212468510380034

Backstory:
Cofounder's side: Talking about politics is not positive, and we're not doing it at work any more. Also, we're getting rid of some wellness benefits. "It's none of our business what you do outside of work, and it's not Basecamp's place to encourage certain behaviors — regardless of good intention."

What really happened: Some employees were keeping a list of "funny names" and the co-founder got mad when other employees started talking about racism and how it was bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's the co-founder that CHUDs around on podcasts and poo poo while decrying how his employees were getting too political, right?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

That's the co-founder that CHUDs around on podcasts and poo poo while decrying how his employees were getting too political, right?

Yup. It's not just low-level employees leaving either, numerous team leads / department heads are quitting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

blunt posted:

Yup. It's not just low-level employees leaving either, numerous team leads / department heads are quitting.
:smug: We're not going to tell you how to live your lives so kiss all the wellness benefits gootbye :liberty:

:backtowork: oh and don't talk politics at work, that's our time not yours :backtowork:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Internet fascists are already calling it “Based camp”.

I just made that up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FilthyImp posted:

:smug: We're not going to tell you how to live your lives so kiss all the wellness benefits gootbye :liberty:

:backtowork: oh and don't talk politics at work, that's our time not yours :backtowork:

The new rules also included "no more committees, all decisions about 'moral quandaries' will be made by me specifically", and "no lingering on past decisions" (aka no questioning the CEO's choices).

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The committees thing wasn't even politics either, any form of decision making that isn't "Jason Fried and DHH have absolute authority and no one can question them" is explicitly banned.

Basecamp looms large in the Ruby on Rails world (they more or less control development of it), and Rails lost a few core team members as part of all this BS. Also among the 1/3 are department heads of marketing, design, and CS (I'm pretty sure the only heads left are DHH, Jason, HR, and Ryan Singer, who is about as much of an rear end in a top hat as DHH / Jason).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We can't stop here. It's purple IPhone 12 country.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Platystemon posted:

Internet fascists are already calling it “Based camp”.

I just made that up.

With half the tweets seeming to be "good riddance to these spoiled woke idiots, good luck with those stock options OOH WAIT LMAO" this may be more true than you would like it to be.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2LvQUcwqc

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Interesting video here, if you've ever wondered why you can't buy ice cream at McDonalds cause the machine keeps "breaking down": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDEtSlqJC4

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Wired did an effort post on it recently and about a company that tried to make the machines more user friendly:

https://www.wired.com/story/they-hacked-mcdonalds-ice-cream-makers-started-cold-war/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ARTPUP posted:

Interesting video here, if you've ever wondered why you can't buy ice cream at McDonalds cause the machine keeps "breaking down": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDEtSlqJC4

Is there a precis for this? I'm sure it's interesting, in a horror capitalism kind of way, I just don't want to invest half an hour into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there a precis for this? I'm sure it's interesting, in a horror capitalism kind of way, I just don't want to invest half an hour into it.

McD’s franchise agreement mandates particular machine. Manufacturer makes beaucoup bucks on maintenance, has incentive to make it fail frequently and cryptically. They and McD’s go way back and McD’s corporate doesn’t mind the franchisees getting screwed by the arrangement.