Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don’t think the iMac cable is MagSafe as we know it, they’ve not called it MagSafe in any of the marketing that I’ve seen which I’d expect if it was the same tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Ratjaculation posted:

Apple still can't make power cables.

This replacement is less than a year old and its started disintegrating, despite never being moved from a desk.

Despite the fact you can see the actual wiring I've still got to go and visit the store to get it inspected/replaced... Urgh. Plus the absurd amount they charge for cables.

I like the Anker powerline USBC cables. I've had one used as my main charging cable since 2015 or 2016 and it's been great.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

njsykora posted:

I don’t think the iMac cable is MagSafe as we know it, they’ve not called it MagSafe in any of the marketing that I’ve seen which I’d expect if it was the same tech.

what are we calling magsafe, though? there are at least two different kinds in use by apple - at the end of the day, magsafe is just about magnets lining up and holding a power cable to the device. they're probably not calling it magsafe because it's not designed to be a quick and easy removal like magsafe is when you jerk it (also, they don't have batteries to keep the computer powered when it happens). it's a magnetic power cable, so it's magsafe in spirit if nothing else

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here's betting that third party power bricks will eventually show up doing just that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Here's betting that third party power bricks will eventually show up doing just that.

agree, especially if the talk about it being just a specialized thunderbolt connection is accurate

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IT BEGINS....

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/Apple-s-follow-up-to-M1-chip-goes-into-mass-production-for-Mac

According to industry sources, TSMC has started mass production of the "M2".. and it could be in Macs by July!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 27, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
But people said it’d be a M1X. I was excited to see the terrible slogans like “time to M1X it up” or “the pro gets a ReM1X”

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

5nm

Maybe they'll increment the number whenever the process node shrinks. Or who knows, maybe they'll just name things whatever

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

IT BEGINS....

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/Apple-s-follow-up-to-M1-chip-goes-into-mass-production-for-Mac

According to industry sources, TSMC has started mass production of the "M2".. and it could be in Macs by July!

Glad I ended up waiting. Hoping to pick up an M2 MacBook of sorts later this year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The 2 stands for how many external monitors you can use with it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Matt Zerella posted:

The 2 stands for how many external monitors you can use with it.
Archiving this post to laugh at in about 4 months.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, beginning to wonder if that bullshit about the hacker group unearthing plans for the next rMBP wasn't just some backhanded way of hyping up them up so that people will go wacko and buy them like hotcakes when they do announce them at WWDC..

The timing is rather auspicious when you think about it..

So, what do we got now? We got 14-inch, 16-inch M2 Pros coming with three USB4 ports, MagSafe port of undetermined vintage, SDXC slot, dedicated HDMI port which kinda lets them off the hook for only three TB4/USB4 ports.. beginning to sound like the 2015 rMBP..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 27, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao no

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm happy enough with my work M1 to go ahead and replace my personal 2019 MBP with whatever we get coming out with the next chip, whether that's this year or next. No real rush but I will be glad to be rid of the lovely keyboard finally.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, beginning to wonder if that bullshit about the hacker group unearthing plans for the next rMBP wasn't just some backhanded way of hyping up them up so that people will go wacko and buy them like hotcakes when they do announce them at WWDC..

The timing is rather auspicious when you think about it..

Nope.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hatty posted:

But people said it’d be a M1X. I was excited to see the terrible slogans like “time to M1X it up” or “the pro gets a ReM1X”

FuturePastNow posted:

5nm

Maybe they'll increment the number whenever the process node shrinks. Or who knows, maybe they'll just name things whatever

If you look at the pattern the A#X is typically the same process and architecture on a larger die to fit more features. Sometimes they go to a smaller process node and keep the same architecture but add more features on the 'X' (A10, A10X).

Which would make the M1 actually the A14X going by that pattern.

I guess they are deciding to draw a clearer line between the consumer grade SoC and the pro grade SoC?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Murgos posted:

If you look at the pattern the A#X is typically the same process and architecture on a larger die to fit more features. Sometimes they go to a smaller process node and keep the same architecture but add more features on the 'X' (A10, A10X).

Which would make the M1 actually the A14X going by that pattern.

It definitely is.

The people working on M1 Linux have tracked down Apple internal codenames for chips. One of the several codename schemes (Apple needs lots of names for things apparently) is:

H + generation + G or P

where the generation number is 1 less than the marketing generation number (eg A10 is H9P), the P suffix is used for iPhone chips whose marketing name has no suffix, and the G suffix is used for chips whose marketing name has the X or Z suffix (A10X is H9G).

A14 is H13P, M1 is H13G. You do the math.

The generation number (whether internal or public) seems to be tied to the CPU cores. So if the upcoming chip continues to use Firestorm big cores and Icestorm small cores, I'd expect them to go with M1 plus some suffix.

On the other hand who the gently caress knows, it's arbitrary so they could break that pattern

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

My wife has a MacBook for work that's absolutely wrecking her when it comes to typing (carpal tunnel), I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for ergonomic split keyboards? I started looking online but the prices and styles are all over the place. She doesn't really have any preferences other than it can split and has lifters. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dreadwind posted:

My wife has a MacBook for work that's absolutely wrecking her when it comes to typing (carpal tunnel), I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for ergonomic split keyboards? I started looking online but the prices and styles are all over the place. She doesn't really have any preferences other than it can split and has lifters. Thanks!

whatever is the best recommended usb keyboard will work on Mac with zero to maybe 1-2 adjustments.

Don’t start Mac-first, start “what keyboard do Drs, patient community members, etc recommend”-first and work from there.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dreadwind posted:

Microsoft sculpt or Logitech’s split both work great. And both Arlo low travel which is great for RSI

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Microsoft sculpt or Logitech’s split both work great. And both Arlo low travel which is great for RSI

I’m p sure both of those have Mac versions with Apple-specific keys available too, not that the Windows version won’t work fine.

Check MS, Logi, Apple stores, etc pricing on that stuff can vary widely

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Does the UPS tracking for BTO laptops always suck? I ordered a 512/16 M1 Air, it shipped Monday from I’m assuming somewhere in Asia, but all the UPS page is showing is in transit and an estimated date, none of the fun hop-to-hop info or indication of where it is in transit.

Not like the worst thing in the world but I like watching it move like the impatient gently caress that I am.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I'm trying to access some 1.5" IBM floppy disks from the 1990s. There are a ton of cheap external floppy drives, but most of them seem to be only Windows compatible. I ordered a branded Dainty one that said it was Mac compatible, and Amazon shipped me an unbranded Windows-only drive instead :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for specific drives, or non-drive solutions? Do I have a hope of recuperating my ancient files to a 2020 i3 Macbook Air?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Blue Scream posted:

I'm trying to access some 1.5" IBM floppy disks from the 1990s. There are a ton of cheap external floppy drives, but most of them seem to be only Windows compatible. I ordered a branded Dainty one that said it was Mac compatible, and Amazon shipped me an unbranded Windows-only drive instead :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for specific drives, or non-drive solutions? Do I have a hope of recuperating my ancient files to a 2020 i3 Macbook Air?
Did you test it out or just assuming it doesn't work? I guess one thing you could try is using it with an older Windows VM (:toot: x86)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blue Scream posted:

An old computer that takes a CF card for a hard disk?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Dreadwind posted:

What’s your budget? And patience for learning?

I have suspected carpal tunnel and just bought a moonlander keyboard, but it’s expensive and takes some getting used to. Then again we’re in a Mac thread...

Microsoft sculpt would be my go to for a cheap/easy one.

edit: I didn't actually mention I love the Moonlander. Moonlander is split mechanical (essentially a sequel to ErgoDox EZ which I've used for a couple years). I went for the switches with the lowest actuation force and it seems a lot easier on my hands/wrists so far. But it's not for the faint of heart, is all I was getting at.

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 28, 2021

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

japtor posted:

Did you test it out or just assuming it doesn't work? I guess one thing you could try is using it with an older Windows VM (:toot: x86)

Just assuming, honestly. The bare bones documentation only listed Windows OS.

I’ve never heard of a VM until I looked it up just now and it seems kind of intimidating. I can give it a shot though. Getting an older PC isn’t really feasible right now. Thanks!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress?! Head over to the Mech keyboard thread. Mac keyboards are trash! Do I even need to say this?! Split keyboards are also poo poo.. unless they are mechanical. This is nerd 101 for fucks sake.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

What the gently caress?! Head over to the Mech keyboard thread. Mac keyboards are trash! Do I even need to say this?! Split keyboards are also poo poo.. unless they are mechanical. This is nerd 101 for fucks sake.

Much like a gaming thread you failed to actually respond to what the OP was asking for

"I need a more ergonomic keyboard for my RSI"
"clicky clicky clicky"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Blue Scream posted:

Just assuming, honestly. The bare bones documentation only listed Windows OS.

I’ve never heard of a VM until I looked it up just now and it seems kind of intimidating. I can give it a shot though. Getting an older PC isn’t really feasible right now. Thanks!

Don't start with a VM, your assumption was :wrong: Just plug the drive in, open the write protect tab on a floppy you want to read (no sense letting anything try to write to it), and give it a try. Only thing you could need a VM for is if macOS doesn't understand the file system on the floppy disk you try to read. (but macOS has drivers for most common file systems found on PC floppies)

(IME, USB floppy drives are never anything but generic USB mass storage class devices. As such they don't need custom drivers on any OS, just the built-in driver also used for things like USB thumb drives, hard drives, memory card readers, and so on.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

redeyes posted:

mechanical keyboards are also super overrated

magic keyboard for life

(though i do have a g4m3rzzzzzz keyboard for pc poo poo sometimes)

i think half of the rsi stuff can be corrected with proper postures and wrist rests / supports (this was what helped me tons but everyone is obviously different)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Is keyboard master race the latest nerd culture war zone people who aren't given enough wedgies have taken to since everyone who showers doesn't care about their console vs PC bullshit any more? I like my mechanical keyboard but I also like the magic keyboard on my Macbook, it's a thing for typing and you can type just as well on both kinds for gently caress sake, most decent mechanicals are even going to be more expensive than a regular magic keyboard.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m p sure both of those have Mac versions with Apple-specific keys available too, not that the Windows version won’t work fine.

Check MS, Logi, Apple stores, etc pricing on that stuff can vary widely

Even if it doesn't have Mac-specific keys, the Alt and Windows keys can be swapped in Sysprefs so that they trigger command and option in the same muscle-memory place as a Mac keyboard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

Is keyboard master race the latest nerd culture war zone people who aren't given enough wedgies have taken to since everyone who showers doesn't care about their console vs PC bullshit any more? I like my mechanical keyboard but I also like the magic keyboard on my Macbook, it's a thing for typing and you can type just as well on both kinds for gently caress sake, most decent mechanicals are even going to be more expensive than a regular magic keyboard.

it has been for a while and to be frank i can't even

keyboard evangelists are some of the most offputting

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vegastar posted:

Does the UPS tracking for BTO laptops always suck? I ordered a 512/16 M1 Air, it shipped Monday from I’m assuming somewhere in Asia, but all the UPS page is showing is in transit and an estimated date, none of the fun hop-to-hop info or indication of where it is in transit.

Not like the worst thing in the world but I like watching it move like the impatient gently caress that I am.

Shipping info on anything going through customs is a hot mess these days. I’ve had the same basic issue with FedEx.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought something from the UK recently and it came to California in 2 days using UPS. I think Asia is hosed with shipping.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

redeyes posted:

Please check yourself into a mental facility, clearly, the repeated metallic clacking has damaged your brain through your eardrums.

Typing for extended periods on a laptop keyboard is dumb, getting super invested in mech keyboards is far stupider.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I like the Anker powerline USBC cables. I've had one used as my main charging cable since 2015 or 2016 and it's been great.

It's a magsafe I got less than a year ago, but would love any recommended third party ones.

Guy in the 'Authorised' outlet said it's a noturious product fault, then they later told me it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Apple support is basically zero help, just wanting me to drive to a different store now, in a different town centre... During a pandemic.

Useless fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

It's a magsafe I got less than a year ago, but would love any recommended third party ones.

Guy in the 'Authorised' outlet said it's a noturious product fault, then they later told me it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Apple support is basically zero help, just wanting me to drive to a different store now, in a different town centre... During a pandemic.

Useless fucks.

There aren’t any recommended third party magsafe cables