Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a sheet of HDPE and sprayed it with some furniture polish. Isn't too bad with the sticking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every single product out there is going to be HDPE, the only difference will be whether it's sold by a hockey off ice training company which instantly inflates the price 1000%. Pledge and silicone lubricant do help but it still never feels like ice. Shooting is fine but puck handling is garbage.

If you want to puck handle those swedish stickhandling balls and a smooth concrete floor are the best I've found. They feel better on an untaped stick, less friction.

If money is truly no object buy some chillers and build a sheet of ice in your basement.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One of the things that I've noticed that might help with a shooting pad would be some slight dimples. Not tall enough to effect the puck laying down but enough to reduce the friction a bit. The surface area needs to be reduced but then you have the material of the puck itself which is bad for glide.

With shooting pads, nothing will be close to ice, it's just physics. Hdpe and spraying it down with silicone may be your best bet aside from the artificial ice and even that stuff doesn't have much glide.

Next step would be some sport court tiles. Even then rubber picks don't glide well on it but roller hockey pucks do, unfortunately they're lighter so you won't get exactly the same feel but the glide is probably the closest to ice you'll get.

If you just want to shoot, hdpe and silicone are hard to beat. If you want to stick handle, get a swedish ball, a green biscuit, or a roller hockey puck and sport court tiles.

Side note for returning to hockey, what face mask is everybody using? I wear a cage and tried a regular cloth mask the last time I skated and it was awful. It was soaked and I kept breathing it in. I've heard the ccm one works well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had a teammate tell me about this dude who sells demo sticks on eBay. Top of the line sticks, slightly used/like new, for $100. He’s been using a few and hasn’t had any issues. Anyone ever try anything like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warrior-Covert-QR-Edge-Grip-Hockey-Stick-Senior-Right-Gaudreau-W88-Flex-75-/154305003582

So I bought this stick last week and it arrived over the weekend. I can't find any scuffs on the shaft at all. It came with tape on the butt end and the blade, just as the pictures show. There were puck scuffs on the blade tape, but otherwise, this stick is brand new. This seems like an insane deal for top of the line sticks. We'll see if it breaks tonight :v:

I did have to cut like 4" off, so it's probably a million flex now.

The dude who sells them seems really cool. I asked him a question about the stick, and he didn't response til after it shipped and he said "hey I'm gonna discount these sticks by $10 this weekend, so here's a $10 refund for yours."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ordered the ccm game on mask. It technically won't be needed for my games (loving idiots) but I'll wear it to be a good neighbor. I haven't used it yet though, because I'm still two weeks out from my first game.

But it seems like the best option available.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

Side note for returning to hockey, what face mask is everybody using? I wear a cage and tried a regular cloth mask the last time I skated and it was awful. It was soaked and I kept breathing it in. I've heard the ccm one works well.

I bought the CCM Game On mask at Pure Hockey over the weekend. I play a game tonight at 10pm at OVA - big ice for 1st game back. Will provide feedback on if I'm alive and the mask after

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get a piece of melamine and spray it with furniture polish like Pledge.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Tank44 posted:

I bought the CCM Game On mask at Pure Hockey over the weekend. I play a game tonight at 10pm at OVA - big ice for 1st game back. Will provide feedback on if I'm alive and the mask after

Woweee! Those post game beers sure tasted good. The CCM Game On masked worked really well with my cage. It attaches to the cage in 3 points (left, right, bottom) and with the bottom attached between the cage & chin cup it helped keep space between the mask and face to limit/prevent gagging on the mask. For a solution where you just have visor, I dont know that will work though.

Biggest tip for anyone who hasn't skated in a while is to take out your skates and put them on for a bit to break them back in before playing. I have very wide feet and my skates stiffened up with lack of use; so had no feeling in my feet for most of the game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just picked up the bauer version of that mask at play it again. Anything has to be better then wearing a cloth mask and sucking it in with every breath.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tank44 posted:

Woweee! Those post game beers sure tasted good. The CCM Game On masked worked really well with my cage. It attaches to the cage in 3 points (left, right, bottom) and with the bottom attached between the cage & chin cup it helped keep space between the mask and face to limit/prevent gagging on the mask. For a solution where you just have visor, I dont know that will work though.

Biggest tip for anyone who hasn't skated in a while is to take out your skates and put them on for a bit to break them back in before playing. I have very wide feet and my skates stiffened up with lack of use; so had no feeling in my feet for most of the game.

The visor version is a normal mask that connects to the helmet and then straps around the chin strap. It's not bad since it's stiffer but it is a bit hotter than a normal mask.

The first thing I always do is plop my skates on and let my feet break them in. It sets my mental state I guess.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I was considering getting my baked again. My son's feet changed a bit in the last year but the skates still fit well, so we had them rebaked and he said they feel great now.

His head is not great after having a collision with an opposing player in their first game - he's on concussion protocol for 2 weeks, poor dude.

I, however, have avoided all collisions by simply not signing up for hockey. I am a sad, sad hockey man.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
One of my leagues started up after a year hiatus and after feeling like rear end the 1st game had a good 2nd game against the best team in the league. Two goals! But did end up blocking 2 shots off the side of the ankle where the pad ends and skate tongue barely exists so I got a hematoma the size of a clementine coming off it all wrapped up in ice and bandage now.

Scored on a breakaway after missing 2 shifts from blocking that shot for the GWG so worth it I guess. Never blocking a shot again though.

Khad
Aug 11, 2006

third time's the HRAAAAAAAAAAAAALF
After a decade of playing, this year+ off has been killing me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I bought this stick last week and it arrived over the weekend. I can't find any scuffs on the shaft at all. It came with tape on the butt end and the blade, just as the pictures show. There were puck scuffs on the blade tape, but otherwise, this stick is brand new. This seems like an insane deal for top of the line sticks. We'll see if it breaks tonight :v:

I did have to cut like 4" off, so it's probably a million flex now.

The dude who sells them seems really cool. I asked him a question about the stick, and he didn't response til after it shipped and he said "hey I'm gonna discount these sticks by $10 this weekend, so here's a $10 refund for yours."

Stick didn't break. Scored 2 goals. Stick works!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Derpies posted:

One of my leagues started up after a year hiatus and after feeling like rear end the 1st game had a good 2nd game against the best team in the league. Two goals! But did end up blocking 2 shots off the side of the ankle where the pad ends and skate tongue barely exists so I got a hematoma the size of a clementine coming off it all wrapped up in ice and bandage now.

Scored on a breakaway after missing 2 shifts from blocking that shot for the GWG so worth it I guess. Never blocking a shot again though.

Really looking forward to this thread going back to being hockey game trip reports like this. T-minus who loving knows until my rear end is vaxxed up here in Doug Ford's Ontario though.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Got my first vaccine this weekend, the end of the tunnel is in sight.

Stinky Socks is running a draft league at the Bruins practice rink this summer, tempted to join it if the teams will be as evened out as they say (they won’t) but also scared of paying a bunch to play in a league that tells me I’m bad at hockey and the last overall pick.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

V for Vegans posted:

Got my first vaccine this weekend, the end of the tunnel is in sight.

Stinky Socks is running a draft league at the Bruins practice rink this summer, tempted to join it if the teams will be as evened out as they say (they won’t) but also scared of paying a bunch to play in a league that tells me I’m bad at hockey and the last overall pick.

Are they trying to cover a broad skill range?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Fingat posted:

Are they trying to cover a broad skill range?

The email said skill level 3-6, which I believe is the only skill levels they actually have games at anyway (they changed the classification over covid so D is level 6, C/D is level 5 ect) so maybe it would be interesting, but it also could very likely just become the few good players skating circles around everyone else and only passing to each other. You know, how most drop in hockey games go.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went out last night to the local "hockey bar" with a couple of teammates, one of whom spent a couple of years playing for the local ECHL concern a while back.

so we are sitting there doing our thing and in comes some guy who was wearing my buddy's jersey from back in the day. my buddy goes up to him and asks, without telling him who he is, if he'd like for him to sign the jersey. instead of being friendly or at least cordial, the dude got all offended and righteous at the idea of someone defacing his aging AA hockey sweater and thus missed the opportunity of a lifetime

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

First game back today last skate was March 1 2020, feel pretty good overall so I guess home workouts work?? Amazing if true.

Quads are pretty burnt out though, guess lunges don't work them hard enough and I gotta find something quad specific.

Also my feet hurt like hell, hockey skates are bullshit.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

I’ve been sleeping in my skates the last year so they remember my feet shape. It’s really torn up a lot of my good sheets and my dog now refuses to sleep with me.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

xzzy posted:

My most fav purchase ever are my True skates (but I guess any custom skates would be just as good).
It cost quite a bit so I was conflicted at the time, but 2 years later I'm still glad that I did after every game.
Sometimes I'm on my skates for 2+ hours at a time and I don't think I could on anything else.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any expensive skate that is properly fitted feels like a pair of slippers compared to older or less expensive skates.

It’s insane how far that has come.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A lot of times when my feet hurt in skates it's because i'm tying them too tightly. So maybe let up a notch on that if your feet are killing you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The skates are fine when I use them every week, it had just been over a year since I had worn them last. My feet have grown soft in pandemic times.. I did a 6 mile walk a few weeks ago and even that murdered my feet because all my callouses had disappeared.

And yes I barely tug the laces around the toebox, I take the slack out of them and don't tighten at all, then winch down around the ankle.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Lol we just played a team that went to an oilers style jersey and put a pros name on everyone's back.

I instructed my C league level team to kick my loving rear end if I ever do something that boomer as their team organizer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you mean caring about what other adults are wearing?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Got my second Moderna dose on Saturday, so May 10 is gonna be my first day back on the ice after 14 months. :toot:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

sellouts posted:

you mean caring about what other adults are wearing?

yes, having Messier, Gretzky, McDavid, and other poo poo on the back of your jersey is super lame at any level and I will die on that hill.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ok boomer

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is that more or less lame than having a big picture of sellouts on your jersey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be more occupied savoring the experience of seeing a beer league team where everyone's jersey actually matches.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I'm tickled if I see team matching socks or other team colour equipment (where everyone actually wears them to the game).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
It's a beer league rite of passage to chirp at players who wear #99

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had 7 skaters on Monday. Taking 8-10-minute shifts as a forward rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Until the second intermission and D pipes up: "wingers, why the gently caress aren't you getting open for our passes??"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Our area started doing "overspeed" clinics where people are encouraged to skate very fast above their comfort level and fall over cuz they're going so fast or whatever. Holy moly, breaking an ankle ~4 years ago put up so many mental hurdles. Finally sorta kinda getting used to outside edges but taking tight corners is a doozy.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's a beer league rite of passage to chirp at players who wear #99

My friend who got me interested in playing hockey wears number 99 because he likes the TV show "Brooklyn 99" which :thunk:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Until the second intermission and D pipes up: "wingers, why the gently caress aren't you getting open for our passes??"

We were down 2-1 going into the third. Ended up losing 9-1 :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Furthermore, hockey is weird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

xzzy posted:

I'd be more occupied savoring the experience of seeing a beer league team where everyone's jersey actually matches.

I had Gbs Design some bright yellow gaudy uniforms so I had one glorious season of matching before we had to add some new guys and they're wearing our old puke yellow jerseys.