Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Berzerker posted:

it's bad op
which is a shame since Train to Busan was a great time

Peninsula isn't bad. It's a perfectly good zombie action movie, with some really fun and inventive zombie action sequences.

The problem is that Train to Busan felt like such a breath of fresh air in a stale genre, just a good zombie movie where characters weren't absurdly dickish or stupid. So the sequel being a more standard zombie movie makes it feel like a little bit of a disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I think of REC2 kinda the same way I think of Beneath The Planet of the Apes; they finish the first movie. You can enjoy the first movie by itself just fine, but the sequel completes the story

I'm just a huge sucker for movies that are like no, they are in fact demons, not a virus, not a metaphor.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Flavius Aetass posted:

I'm just a huge sucker for movies that are like no, they are in fact demons, not a virus, not a metaphor.

With Spanish horror I just learned to assume that's the way things are.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

With Spanish horror I just learned to assume that's the way things are.

anything else you recommend?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flavius Aetass posted:

The dramatic priest collar reveal is a pretty fantastic moment.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Day of the dead whips dawns rear end. Take it from me, MacheteZombie

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Basebf555 posted:

Pointless debate because none of them are as good as Return of the Living Dead.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Flavius Aetass posted:

anything else you recommend?

Dia de la bestia is on shudder atm

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Day of the dead whips dawns rear end. Take it from me, MacheteZombie

Your name is a reference to Land of the Dead, don't play :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm just super bored of zombies so that's really what it comes down to. If it's not Return of the Living Dead I'm barely interested.

Go back to 2007!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Class3KillStorm posted:

Return
Day
Night
Shaun
Dawn
REC

Man, Shaun of the Dead is one of the best movie surprises ever. Going in I'd heard it was a "romantic comedy with zombies" and was supposed to be funny. OK, that doesn't sound amazing but let's check it out.

And then it's a pitch perfect love letter to zombie movies.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, Shaun of the Dead is one of the best movie surprises ever. Going in I'd heard it was a "romantic comedy with zombies" and was supposed to be funny. OK, that doesn't sound amazing but let's check it out.

And then it's a pitch perfect love letter to zombie movies.

Shaun of the Dead even does something not many zombie movies achieve: they make you actually care about the characters to the point where something happens to them you feel something. Shaun's mom getting bit, turning and then getting shot by her son just made me silent for the rest of the film. Ed's death as well didn't help things and even the gag at the end where he's tied up in the shed didn't exactly lift me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it also gives the goriest death to the most deserving character. that scene is terrific

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spatulater bro! posted:

Who knew "hopeless winos" make such good zombies?

John Carpenter, of course.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's probably been a decade now, I really gotta watch Shaun of the Dead again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The notion that I'm watching DotD for zombie effects is wild, I'm watching for the human drama. It's like comparing Fright Night and Martin.

To be fair, while the human drama is great, Dawn is also one of the best showcases for one of the greatest gore/makeup effects artists of all time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Justin Godscock posted:

Shaun of the Dead even does something not many zombie movies achieve: they make you actually care about the characters to the point where something happens to them you feel something.

Yeah, that's a real good point. It would be interesting to dig a bit deeper into why this is, is it a by-product of it being a "real" movie first and a zombie movie second (this doesn't feel accurate, the guys clearly set out to do a love letter to zombie movies) or just that Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg own bones as writers.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

To be fair, while the human drama is great, Dawn is also one of the best showcases for one of the greatest gore/makeup effects artists of all time.

Savini's work on Dawn pales in comparison to his work on Day, which has pretty much the best non-Tarman zombies put on screen, plus a few of the best zombie deaths, both humans wrecking zombies and zombies eating humans, to boot. There's a reason he's adamant that Day is his masterpiece.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

Savini's work on Dawn pales in comparison to his work on Day, which has pretty much the best non-Tarman zombies put on screen, plus a few of the best zombie deaths, both humans wrecking zombies and zombies eating humans, to boot. There's a reason he's adamant that Day is his masterpiece.

I understand where he's coming from, but I prefer Dawn as a showcase just for the sheer volume and ingenuity of it all. Just effects gag after effects gag of stuff he had to basically improvise on the spot, not to mention tons of great stuntwork. It'll always be his magnum opus for me.

He's also listed Creepshow as one that he's most proud of, I do think his work on that one is a little underappreciated.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Stink Billyums posted:

I can't rewatch Day. A lot of movies have that annoying rear end in a top hat character who fucks everything up and is definitely going to die by the end, like Burke in Aliens. In Day, that is everybody.
The first time I saw Shaun of the Dead I just did not get it at all. I guess I had seen some "classic" zombie movies so I was grading everything on how stupid the protagonists act. So the movie just lost me when they started throwing their record collection at the zombies. I was too infected with geek ideology to read the theme of being zombified by routine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Rhodes' death in Day of the Dead is one of the all-time great movie deaths, and I loved the homage to it in Shaun of the Dead.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm constantly changing my mind as to which of Romero's original trilogy is my favourite. Today I think Dawn because it's the most fun.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

King Vidiot posted:

Rhodes' death in Day of the Dead is one of the all-time great movie deaths, and I loved the homage to it in Shaun of the Dead.

Is that the one where the dude gets torn apart? That scene lives in my head rent-free.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Joe Pilato should have had a way bigger career than he did

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kulkasha posted:

Is that the one where the dude gets torn apart? That scene lives in my head rent-free.

That's the one

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Bub's sarcastic send off to Rhodes rules.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think my favorite scene in Day is the one with the hands coming out of the wall. Rhode's death is amazing and all, but that imagery of the hands coming out at Sarah has stayed with me since the first time I saw it.

I also love how it ends up being a day dream.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

I think my favorite scene in Day is the nightmare with the hands coming out of the wall. Rhode's death is amazing and all, but that imagery of the hands coming after Sarah has stayed with me since the first time I saw it.

Have you seen repulsion

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Have you seen repulsion

Yes! That's another great one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I think my favorite scene in Day is the one with the hands coming out of the wall. Rhode's death is amazing and all, but that imagery of the hands coming out at Sarah has stayed with me since the first time I saw it.

I also love how it ends up being a day dream.

The opening shot of Dr. Bowman alone in the gray concrete room with her head down is one of my favorite opening shots of all time.

The opening shot of Gaylen Ross in Dawn fitfully sleeping against that red shag carpeted wall is up there too. That Romero guy was good.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The entire scene after the wall hands, with the helicopter, the loudspeaker and the abandoned streets is beyond dope. That's gotta be one of the strongest intros to a horror movie ever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Also one of my favorite Gorillaz tracks

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
gently caress yea I was gonna post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvPWQCWbsU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Could Day of the Dead even be made today? Have there been any post-9/11 movies where the US Army is portrayed as a bunch of gently caress up, barely contained rapists rather than GO! GO! GO! tier-1 operators?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
28 Days Later?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Romero's openings in the trilogy are good as hell. The drive up to the cemetery in NOTLD, culminating in the first attack. The chaotic newscast and apartment raid in Dawn. The dream and abandoned streets in Day. Just great tone setting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You guys are making me want to rewatch all 3. I need to get the Dawn UHD, but is there a good copy of DAY out there these days?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

You guys are making me want to rewatch all 3. I need to get the Dawn UHD, but is there a good copy of DAY out there these days?

the Shout Factory one is good and still available iirc. The only other one was the Anchor Bay edition and thats out of print. PQ wise they're good, but not great. the movie deserves better now that Night has been fully restored and Dawn has a 4K edition.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dragonshirt posted:

28 Days Later?

UK military, but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Origami Dali posted:

Romero's openings in the trilogy are good as hell. The drive up to the cemetery in NOTLD, culminating in the first attack. The chaotic newscast and apartment raid in Dawn. The dream and abandoned streets in Day. Just great tone setting.

I fully agree.

I do think that in TYOOL 2021, that NOTLD is probably the weakest one simply because most other zombie movies start at that same point, and give you the main characters discovering what's happening.

Whereas the other two present you with a world already in hell, which you don't really see. I remember in march last year getting the soundtrack to DAWN stuck in my head. Unfortunately what we've seen over the last year, it seems like we'd see the newsrooms telling everyone to get back into the zombie pits because it's only lethal if they bite you.