Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Second place could not be caught by third, nor could they catch first.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

Second place could not be caught by third, nor could they catch first.

Oh, lol then yeah. I could catch first.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Considering he flashed one and two fingers after his first and second wins he might just be trying to signal that he’s won three times and it just looks really bad

E: nope never mind, the fan account that pointed this out seems to think now that those were just for deniability

https://twitter.com/_thejeopardyfan/status/1387244555083337730?s=21

Whats the "further information" and why not just say what it is.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Was he the guy that answered with the g slur?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yup.

Double Jeopardy, Stringed Instruments, $800

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

banned from Starbucks posted:

From what I saw it looked like pictures of his Facebook where he’s wearing a MAGA hat and the banner picture is a still from an old movie where someone is flashing the OK symbol

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Gotta give the neo-Nazi the benefit of the doubt!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The 3am repeat of Jeopardy was some random Alex episode instead of the one played earlier today.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
HMM.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

banned from Starbucks posted:

There are currently a bunch of Twitter randos calling out Andy Slavitt for not straight up saying what he meant and “reading too much into things/an innocent symbol”/whatever, and while I know Twitter randos are there to be ignored (especially one persistent reply guy/apparent troll who is trying badly to bothsides this by posting photos of Obama and others making OK hand gestures) I wonder why he didn’t straight out and say it.

MAGA looks are bad, and any attempt at obfuscation makes it worse.

Guess I’m glad I missed the last couple of episodes due to work? Last episode I caught was Thursday’s, and while Kelly won on that one, he didn’t twig anything for me except for his thick Boston accent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

From what I saw it looked like pictures of his Facebook where he’s wearing a MAGA hat and the banner picture is a still from an old movie where someone is flashing the OK symbol

Sinatra.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

My eyes are rolling so hard they're stuck in the back of my head.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I genuinely did not know that g- was a slur in itself. I knew not to use it as a verb to mean "cheated" but not that the noun was also bad. Good to learn!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Great timing on my post attempting to justify the usage only to have it revealed as intentional racism.

Me-->:bravo:

I must be some sort of <French word for delay>

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Island Nation posted:

Great timing on my post attempting to justify the usage only to have it revealed as intentional racism.

What has been revealed as intentional racism, and how?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
No statement at the beginning of the ep. I guess they don't feel a white supremacist symbol is something worth disavowing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

wooger posted:

What has been revealed as intentional racism, and how?

A 5-second Google search reveals: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-contestants-controversial-hand-gesture-might-not-be-what-it-seems-065222783.html

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Today's jeopardy didn't record properly because of the Presidential Address.

Here's a youtube link. It's not a great link

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 29, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Inserting fake laughter at middle chair's FJ answer. Yeesh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zesty posted:

Inserting fake laughter at middle chair's FJ answer. Yeesh.

Jeopardy's been shooting with a live, but distanced, audience for a while, starting with the writers and other crew back in like June 2020. Johnny Gilbert still records his intros from home, because the man is almost 93, but there have been actual people in the seats for quite some time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It wasn't even funny. Gibson did direct The Passion of The Christ which made <checks Wikipedia> $600 MILLION?!

E: The AV Club has a piece on the hosts complete with factual errors (Buck isn't ESPN AV)

https://tv.avclub.com/there-s-no-way-to-know-who-will-make-a-good-jeopardy-h-1846767788

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 29, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Old movies and directors are big blind spots for me so I was never getting that one. Gibson felt like a reasonable guess to me.

I can't believe Ten Commandments is almost four hours long, what misery.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Poque posted:

I can't believe Ten Commandments is almost four hours long, what misery.

The original cut would have been a prestige roadshow release with an intermission break for concessions and merchandise sales, so it wouldn't have been that bad.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The original cut would have been a prestige roadshow release with an intermission break for concessions and merchandise sales, so it wouldn't have been that bad.

Better than going to church.

Yeah, I from the post responded to it sounded like something real was actually known.

a) He didn’t even make the OK hand signal
b) The whole white power link was invented as a joke, isn’t real, and that gesture is widely used the world over every day. Pull yourself together American media.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wooger posted:

Yeah, I from the post responded to it sounded like something real was actually known.

b) The whole white power link was invented as a joke, isn’t real, and that gesture is widely used the world over every day. Pull yourself together American media.
Ah yes, the classic "it's a common gesture, you're just reading too much into it" defense. It's almost as if they picked a common gesture like that to be able to defend it that way.

Sorry about your support of white supremacy, bro.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wooger posted:

b) The whole white power link was invented as a joke, isn’t real,
Being invented as a joke does not mean it "isn't real". You can go look up pictures of Kyle Rittenhouse flashing it in bars if you're inclined. Though I'm sure his usage of it is innocent as well. :rolleyes: See also: pepe the frog and other misappropriated symbols that have been adopted by the alt-right.

The other context to the Jeopardy guy is he has pictures wearing a MAGA hat, as well as a Facebook banner image he previously posted of Sinatra giving the "OK" sign. Totally just a coincidence.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

wooger posted:

Shoo, Nazi.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wa27 posted:

Being invented as a joke does not mean it "isn't real". You can go look up pictures of Kyle Rittenhouse flashing it in bars if you're inclined. Though I'm sure his usage of it is innocent as well. :rolleyes: See also: pepe the frog and other misappropriated symbols that have been adopted by the alt-right.

The other context to the Jeopardy guy is he has pictures wearing a MAGA hat, as well as a Facebook banner image he previously posted of Sinatra giving the "OK" sign. Totally just a coincidence.

Yeah, it might’ve started with /b/ or /pol/ trolling people, but when people started using that poo poo IRL unironically, the “it’s just a joak, c’mon gais!” defense falls apart really loving quickly.

As the ACLU points out, context in this stuff matters, and the context on his FB page makes it pretty loving racist and you have to either ignorant or pretty drat deep into the Kool-Aide and purposely downplaying things for the “just a joak!” defense to fly at all here, like a lot of the Twitter culture warriors attempting to downplay this.

Oh, and the Jeopardy contestant Facebook group is clearly on the side of it being racist or at least a reference of some sort, even if Snopes’ current article on the subject doesn’t, and it doesn’t look like he’ll be getting an invite anytime soon despite his frequent FB posting.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 29, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah the joke became real at some point. That's not to say that everyone flashing the OK symbol is making a white power sign--that would be a profoundly stupid reaction and the very one the trolling was meant to cause in the first place--but sometimes they definitely are.

But there's always a tell.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah the joke became real at some point. That's not to say that everyone flashing the OK symbol is making a white power sign--that would be a profoundly stupid reaction and the very one the trolling was meant to cause in the first place--but sometimes they definitely are.

But there's always a tell.

I mortified myself a few months ago because a guy was dropping off a food order and asked through the window if he could leave it on the table outside. I said "sure" and meant to give a thumbs up, but accidentally gave an OK sign instead. And the guy wasn't white. gently caress everybody who came up with that joke and gently caress everybody who ran with it.

Edit: And gently caress anybody who posts right after me, pretending that a thing called "context" doesn't exist or matter.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 29, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

christmas boots posted:

That's not to say that everyone flashing the OK symbol is making a white power sign--that would be a profoundly stupid reaction and the very one the trolling was meant to cause in the first place--

You were so close.
This is exactly what this thread, snd apparently the jeopardy board are doing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

wooger posted:

You were so close.
This is exactly what this thread, snd apparently the jeopardy board are doing.

this u fam?

wooger posted:

As though that wasn’t the sole reason to hire her.
As though it wasn’t the sole reason she got to be a political candidate.

Your recently married husband is not in your periphery.

Honestly they can have Birmingham if it means we get funding for stuff, as opposed to cynically underfunding the whole region. We already have a Tory Mayor about to get re-elected.

Are you sure you’re not thinking about all the feminist / Lesbian/ Women’s Health subs that were straight up deleted, or else had the mods forcibly replaced by Reddit insiders, who are all oddly enough transwomen?

They definitely don’t have any problem with hosed up fetish subs at Reddit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

simble
May 11, 2004

Ah yes, I love to come to the Jeopardy thread to read some idiot's D&D posts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It seems relevant that he was probated for the same kind of bigoted behavior that he's arguing did not take place and that other people are ridiculous for seeing. I think it helps inform that he's not coming from a place of honest disagreement.

simble
May 11, 2004

Boy you really got him. Great work.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok. Sorry if I've upset you.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That was an awesome game tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

simble posted:

Ah yes, I love to come to the Jeopardy thread to read some idiot's D&D posts.

You could just scroll? I'm not sorry at all for people calling out the Nazi defender.