Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Real 10-bit probably isn't worth caring about at that budget. There are many 27" 4k IPS monitors with good default color calibration and 8bit + FRC easily under $500. LG alone has at least five different ones on the market. The high end pro-artist level monitors that are real 10 bit and a bit better factory calibrated are more like $700-1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If one wanted an ultrawide 34"+ monitor, is the super expensive LG GN850 still the go-to or could I consider something else? I don't really have a budget, but more than 1000€ for a monitor still seems very steep... the only 2 ultrawides I can find for what I'd consider a sane price are the Gigabyte G34WQC-EK (550€) or the Acer Nitro XV340CK (600€), but they both don't look that hot.

I already have a very decent 32" IPS 1440p monitor and I'm not looking for a sidegrade so it would have to be significantly "better" in some way (screen real estate, image quality, fidelity and ergonomics are way more important to me than fast response times since I play a lot of games but nothing really fast paced)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

IMO, if you have a 32" at 1440p I see no reason to upgrade other than like an inch or two more space. Maybe get a nice 27" monitor for a side or top extra.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Agree with Vintersorg, here's a comparison of a 32" 16:9 versus a 34" 21:9 I shamelessly stole off of some website. Not sure it would be a drastic difference honestly.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vintersorg posted:

IMO, if you have a 32" at 1440p I see no reason to upgrade other than like an inch or two more space. Maybe get a nice 27" monitor for a side or top extra.

Well that monitor is 60Hz with no syncing and while good enough, certainly not "ideal" for gaming; I'd really like *sync since 2021 seems to be another hard year for GPU availability so I'll have to make do with my GTX1080 for another while.

I do already have a 24" monitor on the side, but I find it clunky and use it less than I thought I would, I'd rather have just one bigger monitor honestly. I took a look at even bigger ones like 38" or more but they all seem to be well over 1000€ which while not out of reach for my budget, seems a bit much to spend to play vidya games (considering I want to buy a new GPU too when they're eventually available again), as much as I love them

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm on an ultrawide right now and considering going back to 16:9. It's nice in the games that support it but a lot of the games I play don't, and I don't think you're going to get a more immersive experience switching to a monitor that's roughly the same size as the one you've already got. You also end up with letterboxing for most fullscreen videos. They're kind of dumb to be honest. If you want to buy a new monitor I'd probably get another 32" 1440p @ 144hz/sync instead.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Thanks, I didn't really consider 4k as 1440p is what I use to game on, so I might try to aim for a pair of 4ks and see what happens, worst case scenario she said no, hah.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I’m in the market for a good monitor(s) for office work. I’m a programmer, so I’d like enough horizontal room for 2 columns of code in Visual Studio + a bit of extra for a browser window or whatever. 4k @ 32” seems good for this, but I’m open to other suggestions. I’ve used dual 27” 1440p monitors before, and that setup worked pretty well. However, if I can have a little more vertical space for web pages and source code, I think that’d be nice.

It looks like the Dell U3219Q would be ideal, but it’s sold out everywhere. How do LG’s 32”+ 4k offerings compare? I love my LG TV, but I’ve been seeing mixed reviews on their monitors, including reports of fading color in the corners of the panels after a few months.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hey all, I'm looking into getting a second monitor to supplement my 27" 1440p daily driver and wanted to get some suggestions. Requirements:

- 24", 1080p
- Ability to rotate, since I want to use it vertically
- 144hz would be ideal. My main monitor is only 75hz and I have a 3070 so using it for high-refresh-rate gaming for shooters might be nice (then I can switch back to the main display for ray-traced titles)
- Not too expensive. Under $200 would be the target, but I also have no clue as to the price of high-refresh small monitors so who knows?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

prom candy posted:

If you want to buy a new monitor I'd probably get another 32" 1440p @ 144hz/sync instead.
Got any recommendations? :v: 'Cause that's exactly what I want.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

Hey all, I'm looking into getting a second monitor to supplement my 27" 1440p daily driver and wanted to get some suggestions. Requirements:

- 24", 1080p
- Ability to rotate, since I want to use it vertically
- 144hz would be ideal. My main monitor is only 75hz and I have a 3070 so using it for high-refresh-rate gaming for shooters might be nice (then I can switch back to the main display for ray-traced titles)
- Not too expensive. Under $200 would be the target, but I also have no clue as to the price of high-refresh small monitors so who knows?

Unfortunately not many games have portrait mode support. :v:

(HL2 does, just fyi)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

Unfortunately not many games have portrait mode support. :v:

(HL2 does, just fyi)

I'd turn it back around! You know, if it rotates to begin with

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just joking, but it was one of the first things I tried when I got a monitor that rotated (my current M27Q can't with the default stand)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i have two dell u2415. i am going to be travelling soon and wanted to know what the best way to transport them is? some sort of hard case would be nice, but i'm not sure what's out there, much less what's good.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I just got a 3090. Do I go ultrawide 1440p or 4k monitor? I'm currently running a 10 year old Samsung Syncmaster 2443 until I figure it out, but the backlight bleed is atrocious compared to modern stuff.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

So I just got a 3090. Do I go ultrawide 1440p or 4k monitor? I'm currently running a 10 year old Samsung Syncmaster 2443 until I figure it out, but the backlight bleed is atrocious compared to modern stuff.

1440 IMO.

Also stuff is probably going to be harder to find and more expensive very soon, so don't wait if you find something you like.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
What's going on with monitors? Is it just the general semiconductor shortage?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

everyone working from home realized they wanted a nice big monitor (or two)

monitors as a market is one that reacts really slowly historically (maybe because people don't replace them as often?), but there actually has been big leaps in price/performance over the last few years. 1440p/144hz IPS monitors have basically halved in price in the last 2 years, and there are so many more good options in nearly every category now. Monitors also seem to have been hit less by Covid supply problems than other items too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Stroop There It Is posted:

Got any recommendations? :v: 'Cause that's exactly what I want.

No, I posted on the last page looking for some!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There are no recommendations for 32" 1440p 144hz+ IPS Freesync monitors because we don't know if any of the models that are out there are good. They're probably at least decent, but they're newer and a tiny fraction as popular as the 27" monitors, so there's little info on them. If you don't mind the absurd curve and the accompanying color shift if you're not perfectly centered, the 32" Odyssey G7 is a good performer, but it's expensive and those compromises aren't ones I'd want to make.

MonkeyFit posted:

As a 1440p ultrawide owner, I'd go 4k all day. The real problem is that I'd want a 32" 144hz+ 4k and none of them are out yet. The LG 27GN950 is about to get refreshed as the 27GP950, which will add HDMI 2.1 support and not need DSC, but those are 27".

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

As a 1440p ultrawide owner, I'd go 4k all day. The real problem is that I'd want a 32" 144hz+ 4k and none of them are out yet. The LG 27GN950 is about to get refreshed as the 27GP950, which will add HDMI 2.1 support and not need DSC, but those are 27".

Why is that? What is it that makes the extra resolution worth going back to 16:9 aspect ratio? Just asking because I have had neither a 4k or ultrawide monitor. So I want to make the right choice.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Someone posted a tool a while ago to manage multiple monitors, like turn one off, set one as the default, etc. It was simple and free if I remember. I see apps like display fusion which will probably do the trick, but I don't think that was it. What do people use?

As far as Ultrawide and 4k. I have both now. The obvious advantage of 4k is most media is made for it, so you don't have black bars on the side with full screen video, and you don't have to worry about game support for your resolution. There is a forum where people fix games that don't ship with UW support, but can take a while and isn't always simple. Although I will say, most devs these days are including 21:9, so it isn't that bad.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
That's a good point about games not necessarily shipping with 21:9 support. I don't watch a whole lot of videos on my computer, but I do also want to experiment with streaming games to the TV in the living room. So it might be best to just have a monitor at the same resolution.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MonkeyFit posted:

That's a good point about games not necessarily shipping with 21:9 support. I don't watch a whole lot of videos on my computer, but I do also want to experiment with streaming games to the TV in the living room. So it might be best to just have a monitor at the same resolution.

I have not had many games fail to support 21:9. Most just work, and most of the rest work with nothing more than a config file edit or two. Older games sometimes need patching, similar to when widescreen was new, but it really hasn't been a big deal. I think there are a few competitive games that intentionally limit non-standard aspect ratios to prevent players from getting advantages from large displays but those are really limited.

Worst case scenario that one game runs at the 16:9 sub-resolution and you get pillarboxing, or you can run it in windowed mode and enjoy some extra screen real estate for a chat or whatever.

Now streaming to a TV, that is a real issue. Steam Link doesn't touch the game's resolution settings so if I've been playing full screen on my PC and then go to play from the couch I need to change it or I get a letterboxed 21:9 image. It's definitely cut down on my Steam Link usage dramatically compared to my previous 1080p monitor where things just worked. If remote play is a significant part of your gaming life that might be a real solid reason to stick to 16:9.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
One game that specifically did not have 21:9 support and the patching was complex and also made the UI a mess was Sekiro. I'm sure it's better now, but I initially refunded the game and bought it later when the fan patch was worked out better.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
There are certain games that are great in ultrawide but I can't really say if they wouldn't be just as great with a similarly sized 16:9 monitor. I went from a 27" 1080p to a 34" 2560x1080. Personally I don't see the point of a 32" 4k unless you just love spending money or have fantastic eyesight. I'm not crazy about running scaled resolutions because it means you're not really getting the extra real estate you paid for, and having to push those extra pixels in games is really expensive. A 32" 1440p monitor has the same pixel density as a 24" 1080p screen.

Most games support 21:9 these days but a few that I've played lately that didn't: Dark Souls 3, Hades, Overwatch, Valorant off the top of my head. I honestly don't notice the pillarboxing at all after I'm in the game but it still seems silly to have this monitor and then play games that don't take advantage of it. I remember when I first got it Overwatch was just coming out so I spent like the first couple months with my fancy new curved ultrawide playing a game that didn't even support it.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2021

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
Are there any recommendations for a 27" 1440p gaming monitor?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I see the LG ultragear monitors get a lot of praise. But they're usually IPS panels so they can be a bit spendy.

How do people here feel about the BFGDs? Specifically, something like an LG OLED with G Sync?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MonkeyFit posted:

I see the LG ultragear monitors get a lot of praise. But they're usually IPS panels so they can be a bit spendy.

How do people here feel about the BFGDs? Specifically, something like an LG OLED with G Sync?
OLED as a monitor leads to the burn-in discussion and how that works out is directly related to your exact workflow and desktop appearance.

That said I just bought one with a 5 year burn-in warranty so while I bought it as my TV you can be drat sure I'm plugging my computer in to it at some point.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MonkeyFit posted:

I am using an LG C1 55" as a second monitor for a couple of weeks now for games and it is quite stunning. I also use it as a TV. I thought long and hard as using a 48" as a primary monitor, but I did not think it would be a great idea, so I made it work as a secondary, and it is perfect for that role.

Edit: This is how I have it setup, I think it is about 6" too high, so I plan on moving it down.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

5 year burn-in warranty

Who has that? Who do I need to buy from to get that?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rusty posted:

I am using an LG C1 55" as a second monitor for a couple of weeks now for games and it is quite stunning. I also use it as a TV. I thought long and hard as using a 48" as a primary monitor, but I did not think it would be a great idea, so I made it work as a secondary, and it is perfect for that role.

Edit: This is how I have it setup, I think it is about 6" too high, so I plan on moving it down.

I have updated mancave goals now :v:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MmmDonuts posted:

Are there any recommendations for a 27" 1440p gaming monitor?

Whatever’s cheapest out of LG 27gl83a-b, gn850, gl850, gigabyte m27q

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

for yall waiting for a 32in upgrade, heres a 32in 4k miniLED monitor with actual usable HDR in game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_FcABVkrg

downsides: not great motion handling/response times, loud rear end fan, no HDMI 2.1, $3k price point. 27GL950 probably still wins.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

prom candy posted:

No, I posted on the last page looking for some!
lol welp

K8.0 posted:

There are no recommendations for 32" 1440p 144hz+ IPS Freesync monitors because we don't know if any of the models that are out there are good. They're probably at least decent, but they're newer and a tiny fraction as popular as the 27" monitors, so there's little info on them. If you don't mind the absurd curve and the accompanying color shift if you're not perfectly centered, the 32" Odyssey G7 is a good performer, but it's expensive and those compromises aren't ones I'd want to make.
Helps to know this! I keep looking at the LG 32GN650-B because I definitely don't want something curved, but it's a VA panel.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Stroop There It Is posted:

Helps to know this! I keep looking at the LG 32GN650-B because I definitely don't want something curved, but it's a VA panel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TTXLW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CQT726AZHPWH0ZMYX4VG

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Whatever’s cheapest out of LG 27gl83a-b, gn850, gl850, gigabyte m27q

I just posted basically the same question a few pages back and got this same advice.

I went with the Asus VG27AQ because the price was similar to the others. It got good reviews otherwise and had some neat features. 10 years of display upgrades are really impressing me, It's night and day compared to my old monitor. I have yet to decide if ELMB is actually worth it.

Asus VG27AQ has a display port sleep problem which causes people headaches with multimonitor setups. I have yet to run into this.

Gigabyte M27Q has a subpixel design issue which makes some text blurry. I chose against it for this reason and because the price difference was small. It does have a KVM which is cool. It's supposed to be much more responsive.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/ultra-wide/ultra-wqhd-monitor-with-21-9-wide-screen-34-inch-ls34j552wqnxza/

I was at my local costco and I saw this monitor for sale. I'm tempted to replace the monitor my work gave me for WFH (Asus VS248) because when I have it next to my personal monitor it looks like absolute trash. Getting 1440p out of a 34" ultrawide means the pixel density won't be absolute garbage, right? I'm using it for my work laptop so I don't need high refresh rates, and I would like a higher resolution to make sure I can have multiple documents open side by side. Is there some catch that I'm missing with this monitor?

My main monitor at home is a Dell S2417DG, so I would like it to look at least on par with it in terms of pixel density and color quality.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
VA panels have issues with smearing on dark colors. But if that doesn't bother you than it should be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Or you could pay less money and get a 27" 4k IPS monitor or a 32" 4k VA monitor. Or about the same for a 32" 4k IPS with the same screen real estate and twice the pixels. Also it would be a slight step up in PPI from your other monitor rather than a slight step down.

Friends don't let friends buy ultrawides, unless you have some incredibly specific needs and money is irrelevant they make no goddamn sense.

The S2417DG is a TN monitor. It's good as far as TN goes, but just about any IPS or even VA monitor will outperform it in terms of color quality. A VA monitor may show some worse off-axis contrast shifting compared to TN, IPS is just a straight upgrade.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 30, 2021