Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I think I am fish murderer. :(: After my big black tetra died a few months ago I think I ended up with 1 female and 4 males. Nothing seemed wrong until 3 days ago when I did a 50% water change before starting the treat the tank for my eye-infected angelfish. Yesterday I noticed the males chasing the female pretty aggressively but I figured she'd just drop her eggs and everyone would chill out. This morning she's dead. I wonder if they harassed her to death. I feel awful.

E: cool what an uplifting post for page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I think I am fish murderer. :(: After my big black tetra died a few months ago I think I ended up with 1 female and 4 males. Nothing seemed wrong until 3 days ago when I did a 50% water change before starting the treat the tank for my eye-infected angelfish. Yesterday I noticed the males chasing the female pretty aggressively but I figured she'd just drop her eggs and everyone would chill out. This morning she's dead. I wonder if they harassed her to death. I feel awful.

E: cool what an uplifting post for page snipe.

So I noticed that tetras like to spawn right after a water change. Like rainfall triggers it or some poo poo. They totally coulda harassed her to death. I have 2 males with a female in a small community tank. After water changes they chase her into a bush where they proceed to spawn. So it totally xoulda been that. My betta tends to chase em away and eat the eggs before anything else happens. It's kinda hosed up but its working and they don't harass my girl to death. So I let the tank go about its nature business.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think I am fish murderer.

I felt the same way when I became aware of my big rasbora throwing his weight around to the smaller fish in my tank, it made me wonder if he'd killed my rainbowfish, injured the one that had a busted spine, and killed/chased the other two rasboras that I'd lost, so I moved him. I felt so dumb for thinking such a huge fish wouldn't wreck poo poo. And then maybe a week or two after the move I found one of those other rasboras floating dead with what looked very much like a broken neck and he'd managed it all by himself with no big rasbora to get him there. So I think fish are just gonna do whatever, we already have to accept we are keeping them in less than ideal circumstances the second we remove them from nature and we can't really control how they behave. Even with cover, big school sizes, good mix of sexes, they still can go wild on each other OR everything goes perfectly even when on paper it shouldn't (betta in a community tank for example). We don't know until we get to know the individual fish we have, in the individual tanks we have. As long as you're keeping them in good conditions and watching how they are acting, you can't blame yourself when they surprise you with something like this. I think your assumption was reasonable considering the males weren't already murdering each other over her.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
We all go through fish murder. It really sucks, we just gotta learn from it. I housed big fish with small fish, let fin rot kill, all kinds of dumb poo poo as a newbie. Im still learning everyday. Sorry bout the fishies tho. Forgot to say that above.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I realised today that we have a knockoff gopro with a submersible case, so I shot some footage of the new livebearers from the back corner of the tub I have them in. Both of the lads are real pretty boys in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBhMnQPzbsE

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

pepperchomp posted:

We all go through fish murder. It really sucks, we just gotta learn from it. I housed big fish with small fish, let fin rot kill, all kinds of dumb poo poo as a newbie. Im still learning everyday. Sorry bout the fishies tho. Forgot to say that above.

poo poo, you want the list of fish I have killed?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

poo poo, you want the list of fish I have killed?

Making a list is a big mistake.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Making a list is a big mistake.

maybe not, if it's an aspirational one?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hey so I posted a page or two back about a home made basement koi pond and one of my koi with mouth fungus.

So ive been monitoring the water and with the second cannister filter going its leveled back off to normal levels, but my Kois mouth is not getting any better.

Google has lead me to believe its either an extremely contagious parasite thats going to kill everything in the tank, or its fungus brought on by an unrelated wound or stress. Its been roughly a week and no one else is any worse for the wear so Im assuming its not horribly contagious thing thats going to kill everything.

Problem is, it doesnt seem to be getting any better. Hes a mostly white koi and I noticed maybe a week and a day ago he had some puffy discolored something above his lip, almost looked like fish poop but was stuck to him. So I consulted doctor google, decided it was most likely mouth rot, and went from there. Id read melafix and you can use a qtip to gently brush the fungus off and apply a cream.

Well melafix has been tried and true and helped save many a fish and I wasnt crazy about catching this koi and trying to scrape stuff off his face cause it seemed like if it was triggered by stress that another stressful situation was probably better avoided. We are on like day 4 of melafix and the fungus definitely isnt growing anymore but its also not getting any better. So I decided id try the net and qtip method and let me say theres no gently anything, whatever is on this dudes mouth is definitely not coming off.

Is it... maybe not mouth rot? should I ... increase the amount of melafix? not sure what to do, dont want to lose any pet but especially not my big boy hes nearing football size.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If it's some viral thing (lymphocystis?) you just have to hope the fish's immune system can fight it off. Fungus usually looks distinctively hairy so if you aren't seeing that maybe it's something else?

Don't forget to up your aeration when using melafix. Melafix only really works on some bacteria and even API themselves don't particularly know which ones. It's not a product I would use even though it has worked for some people.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

its definitely not hairy, if I had to describe it id say bubbly / fluffy.
thats a google image I grabbed as Im at work but very similar to that, just almost like bubbles on the top lip, tho my kois are discolored and a light pink.

The tank is very well aeriated

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Appreciate the support everyone. And yes, you do never stop learning in this hobby. I think next year will mark 30 years in the hobby for me (with some breaks in there).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hi posted:

its definitely not hairy, if I had to describe it id say bubbly / fluffy.
thats a google image I grabbed as Im at work but very similar to that, just almost like bubbles on the top lip, tho my kois are discolored and a light pink.

The tank is very well aeriated

have you asked on koi/goldfish/carp-specific sites? The koi scene is super deep and huge, with a lot of activity and money and time invested in it.

The husbandry and veterinary knowledge base is quite robust and accessible, especially compared to pretty much any other area of aquatics keeping

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I came to post a clip, but needed to double check I'm not replying to a Hainbach video, ok comboomer/ :)
One of the lads decided to get behind the camera just now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj25tj7KIaw

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller posted:

I came to post a clip, but needed to double check I'm not replying to a Hainbach video, ok comboomer/ :)
One of the lads decided to get behind the camera just now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj25tj7KIaw

what can I say, I like synthesizers and aquariums and I have no life

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I remembered to check update my spreadsheet, the black tetra was 4 years old, almost to do the day. Not a terrible run I guess.

Speaking of learning new things all the time, I had been buying larger bags/containers of fish food. I didn't realized that oxidation caused them to rapidly loose vitamin content once they were opened. I picked up a few smaller containers to supplement and hopefully increase the vitamin content while I use up these larger containers.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

I didn't realized that oxidation caused them to rapidly loose vitamin content once they were opened.

I had suspected this may be the case, but I have no idea why. My suspicion led me to food-save half or more of the bigger containers as a just in case (like the dried bloodworms). Hopefully it helps maintain nutrients. If not, oh well.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So when I moved a little over a year ago the loaches and guppies in my 16 gallon crashed and so I've just had a snail tank for about a year. I just got 6 peppered cities and I'm trying to think of something bigger to be their tankmate. I love rams but they tend to be a little fussy about parameters and also wanna hang out in the same tier as cories. Is there anything other than a dwarf gourami that would be a fancy top dweller that won't bother the cories?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Quick question. I've got a 20 gallon that previously only had one betta and a couple of assassin snails in it. Well they've all since died and I kind of left the tank running with nothing in it because I figured I'd restock eventually. Anyway I got busy and now it's been a couple of months and algae has completely taken over. What's the best way to deep clean an empty tank?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You could black the tank out for a week to see if the algae dies off, stringy algae can be manually removed with a brand new, aquarium-use-only toothbrush or even aquarium tweezers or a stainless steel fork can swirl it up for you to pull out. You can clean the glass with a razor blade, pushing the razor downwards towards the substrate then removing it rather than dragging upwards from the substrate helps to not scratch the glass - the metal shouldn't scratch the glass but a piece of gravel or grain of sand trapped between the metal and the glass might. Depending on your plants maybe you could just trim off and discard the worst affected parts, or replant the end trimmings of the plants where the new growth is. A 50% or more water change with standard treated water after you've done your maintenance will help bring the tank closer to a usable state too.

Honestly I've also pulled absolutely everything out, re-rinsed sand/gravel substrate, got the empty tank absolutely clean then put it all back in, the filter bacteria have probably already starved so there isn't much to worry about crashing the tank. It's just as quick as fussing around trying to not disturb an existing tank too much. You're still going to have to restart the cycle and monitor the tank for a bit before you restock it with livestock either way.

I would say for aqua soil it might need to be replaced if it's old so method 2 is better, or if it's still good and you don't want to disturb it, stick with the first method.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

Quick question. I've got a 20 gallon that previously only had one betta and a couple of assassin snails in it. Well they've all since died and I kind of left the tank running with nothing in it because I figured I'd restock eventually. Anyway I got busy and now it's been a couple of months and algae has completely taken over. What's the best way to deep clean an empty tank?

Amano shrimp will happily live in there and keep it perfectly clean. You can probably put 10 or so in there to begin with and within a few days the tank will be looking great.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Amano shrimp

Oh yeah I forgot the rest of the world has access to these absolute workhorses, definitely a good stress free first thing to try if you're happy that the water is shrimp ready.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So now I’ve noticed what looks like ich on only the cichlids.

This one looks taller than normal ich:

E: Sorry the pics are gigantic. First time trying to post on my iPad. At one point I thought I saw anchor worm on the severum, but the next day it was gone. Does this look like some type of parasite besides ich or am I just losing it?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 26, 2021

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

VelociBacon posted:

Amano shrimp will happily live in there and keep it perfectly clean. You can probably put 10 or so in there to begin with and within a few days the tank will be looking great.

I always kind of wanted to try shrimp anyway, so I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I"m torn between ich and hexamita.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pikestaff posted:

I always kind of wanted to try shrimp anyway, so I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Cool, remember they're super sensitive to copper so don't use any copper based medication in the tank if you pick up other inhabitants. You had snails so it's much the same.

You'll want to condition the water, I use this stuff but anything similar should be fine. You can find a lot of info pretty easily on what kind of conditions the shrimp like but honestly I don't need to do much besides that.

It's worth picking up some algae wafer sorta pleco food to supplement them once a week or so, they can survive eating algae only but they'll get vitamins/minerals and such from the wafer that won't be present in the algae.

I love my shrimp tank!

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
I am like 99% a frog lady, but I've got a special place in my heart for livebearers, and yesterday I got a group of lyretail mollies from my LFS! I was gonna go with swordtails or guppies again, but my fiance talked me into mollies because he liked the look of them. I am SO glad he did. No regrets. They're absolutely adorable. :kimchi:

I got 4 females and 2 males, and one of the boys has already established himself as the dominant one. There are lots of sight-breaks and hiding spots in the tank, so I'm not worried-- it's a 20 long I kept cycled when I upgraded my ACFs to their 55. They're SO cute and personable, swarming the glass whenever people enter the room, and I love their dopey little faces. Plus I think two of the girls are already pregnant, which makes sense given that they were in a mixed-sex tank at the store.

I also have a 10 gallon sitting empty that I've kept cycled since the last of my chili rasboras died. Part of me is thinking more micro-fish, but the frog fiend in me knows I'd really rather try ADFs. AqAdvisor is saying I can have a ton in there but I wouldn't want more than about 4. Now to find a place locally I can source healthy ones, since my LFS has issues getting them in healthy from their supplier...

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I have come to the conclusion it is not ich and either hexamita or some other parasitic infection based on web research. Started General Cure treatment last night.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Good luck, I hope you knock whatever it is on the head. It definitely looks like something that will turn very nasty if unchecked.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Oop

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How did I mispost so bad

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Good luck, I hope you knock whatever it is on the head. It definitely looks like something that will turn very nasty if unchecked.

Thanks, I'll report back. It's frustrating when 90% of forum posts you find across the internet just have the start of the problem and never update. Then 8% is like people reporting the fish died overnight before they even started treatment, and 2% is success stories. It sure feels like that anyways.

E: The angelfish and black tetras happily devoured their Focus/Metro soaked flakes, the Severum has no interest in his Cichlid sticks. I'll try again later with GarlicGuard.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 27, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Bad news re: the tadpole nursery. Went out today and it was sitting on its side in the middle of the pond. I thought it was well enough weighted down, but I guess it was more susceptible to wind than I thought. Or maybe something disturbed it? I don't know what would though. I'll have to try again next year.

I did notice a couple of days ago that most of the eggs had disappeared and there were a lot of dead tadpoles littering the bottom of it. What do you think happened, were they killing each other? There shouldn't have been any water quality issue, because the water could circulate freely between the nursery and the rest of the pond.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Is it possible the nursery heated up at a rate faster than the circulation kept it cool? Kind of like a solar cover on a pool? Or maybe they normally go deeper to get out of the sun?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Is it possible the nursery heated up at a rate faster than the circulation kept it cool? Kind of like a solar cover on a pool? Or maybe they normally go deeper to get out of the sun?

This is possible. It was in a shallow area (there is a kind of shallow shelf that runs along part of the perimeter of the pond). And it would have been in the sun pretty much all day. Next year I'll position it at a different part of the shelf, to minimise the amount of time it spends in the sun. And weight it down better, or tether it somehow. Actually there's a couple of little basket things with plants in them, it could probably be tethered to those with cable ties.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Hammerite posted:

Bad news re: the tadpole nursery. Went out today and it was sitting on its side in the middle of the pond. I thought it was well enough weighted down, but I guess it was more susceptible to wind than I thought. Or maybe something disturbed it? I don't know what would though. I'll have to try again next year.

I did notice a couple of days ago that most of the eggs had disappeared and there were a lot of dead tadpoles littering the bottom of it. What do you think happened, were they killing each other? There shouldn't have been any water quality issue, because the water could circulate freely between the nursery and the rest of the pond.

If they were freshly-hatched: Are you positive they were dead, and not just stuck to the bottom of the basket/ sitting on the bottom absorbing yolk? Some species spend a bit of time after they hatch just sitting around (or stuck to something) reabsorbing their yolk.

If they'd already gone to their free-swimming phase, or were a species that free-swims straight from the egg: Were you feeding the tadpoles? If so, with what and how often? Most North American (non-desert) frog species are algae/plant grazers or filter feeders as tads, and need to eat constantly to fuel their massive growth. Even if you made sure to feed them once a day they could've starved to death between meals; lots of very young ones do, and this is why frog breeding/ raising tads is such a monumental pain in the rear end if you don't already have an auto-feeder and/or a super algae-covered setup. If the species you had were grazers, they probably starved to death once the yolk was used up. This can happen in as little as 2 hours from the last feeding depending on species.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Axqu posted:

If they were freshly-hatched: Are you positive they were dead, and not just stuck to the bottom of the basket/ sitting on the bottom absorbing yolk? Some species spend a bit of time after they hatch just sitting around (or stuck to something) reabsorbing their yolk.

If they'd already gone to their free-swimming phase, or were a species that free-swims straight from the egg: Were you feeding the tadpoles? If so, with what and how often? Most North American (non-desert) frog species are algae/plant grazers or filter feeders as tads, and need to eat constantly to fuel their massive growth. Even if you made sure to feed them once a day they could've starved to death between meals; lots of very young ones do, and this is why frog breeding/ raising tads is such a monumental pain in the rear end if you don't already have an auto-feeder and/or a super algae-covered setup. If the species you had were grazers, they probably starved to death once the yolk was used up. This can happen in as little as 2 hours from the last feeding depending on species.

Do they prefer suspended algae or blanketweed? or does it depend on species? It's trivial for me to fish blanketweed out of the pond and give it to them - I'm always having to remove it.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Hammerite posted:

Do they prefer suspended algae or blanketweed? or does it depend on species? It's trivial for me to fish blanketweed out of the pond and give it to them - I'm always having to remove it.

Depends on the species, but I am guessing they'd probably eat blanketweed if you throw it in there. They'll also eat blanched veggies and scrape anything they can get off rocks and such. If you leave your tadpole basket in the pond and let it grow over with algae, that'll likely buy you some time next time. Basically you need to make sure they always have something to eat without the water getting foul, which is why some sort of algae is ideal.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking for one or two schools of fish and a few more fish in general to liven things up now that my tank is settled. I haven't gotten a new fish in a year or so.

I currently have a massive colony of dwarf shrimp
Vampire Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp
4x elderly neon tetras
1x dwarf gourami
1x pearl gourami
1x bristlenose pleco
5x glass catfish
5x cory catfish

Looking for something that is active and lives in the middle/top of the aquarium. I'm currently looking at Threadfin Rainbowfish, Gertrude's Blue Eye Rainbowfish, and some species of Stiphodon gobies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

I'm looking for one or two schools of fish and a few more fish in general to liven things up now that my tank is settled. I haven't gotten a new fish in a year or so.

I currently have a massive colony of dwarf shrimp
Vampire Shrimp
Bamboo Shrimp
4x elderly neon tetras
1x dwarf gourami
1x pearl gourami
1x bristlenose pleco
5x glass catfish
5x cory catfish

Looking for something that is active and lives in the middle/top of the aquarium. I'm currently looking at Threadfin Rainbowfish, Gertrude's Blue Eye Rainbowfish, and some species of Stiphodon gobies.

Tank size?