Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Renegret posted:

It takes 2-3 pulls to get it started but, what do you expect it's like 30 years old at this point.

God drat what a thread title for a thread. At least I made it to my 40s before I started having that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

shame on an IGA posted:

Also ok, Honda GX engines I have nothing but love for. ~10-12 years ago I worked at a small plant that built farm pumps on those and bench tested close to 3,000 units in my time there, every single one started on the first pull. Those are God's own small powerplant.

I love Honda power tools because I like the dopamine hit of thinking my mower shares a lineage with race cars, high performance motorcycles, Civics Type R, Super Cubs, and so forth (HondaJet?)

Renegret posted:

My mower has a honda engine. It's older than me, is horribly maintained, and every part of it is falling apart but the motor still purrs like a kitten. We put a new blade on it last year and it eats through my overgrown yard as well as can be expected.

It takes 2-3 pulls to get it started but, what do you expect it's like 30 years old at this point.

Honda-powered mowers, etc will always fail somewhere else before the motor does IME.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My 15 year old Toro has a B&S motor and I have abused the poo poo out of that thing and it still starts first pull every time and I kind of want it to die to get an electric, laff.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

priznat posted:

Thinkin bout getting into battery powered yard tools, how are the Greenworks ones that costco sells online? Probably will start out with a chainsaw because I don’t have one already but as I expand I would eventually want to replace my gas mower (which frankly will not die out of spite I think)

On the other hand I could probably rent a chainsaw from home depot for the day and just saw-a-palooza all the stuff I wanted chopped in a day or less.

For battery powered, it's probably worth upgrading to a bigger brand of you can afford it. We use the whole line of Stihl battery equipment where I work and I love that drat chainsaw. You aren't gonna cut anything huge with it, but if you are limbing and what not, it's great. We use the hedgers, weed eaters, and mowers too, and really like them. Worth upgrading to the larger batteries if you have a lot of work to do though. And the difference between stuff from even two years ago and now is crazy, way more power and better batteries.

For real saw talk though: if you need bigger cuts done, plug in is better (Makita and Worx both do a good one) gas is best, and if you aren't going to cut a lot, just rent or borrow one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I want a jet turbine powered line of power tools now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

I want a jet turbine powered line of power tools now

Your power company probably has enough natgas in their generation mix to put that label on the electric ones

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Stopped in my local Co yesterday for a few things, to stock up on some food goods since the wife and I are trying to food prep better. Grabbed some chicken meatballs, the tikka masala, some chicken strips and a marinated flank steak that we had for dinner last night which was pretty delicious.

Ended up with all that, some coffee, seltzer, collagen (wife loves the Vital Proteins stuff), sea salt caramels, a 27" monitor and almost bought a home security system. Holy poo poo I love that dangerous store.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1387182309787541507

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RIP Bean Dad

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Welp, look like I'm returning a case of beans to Costco today.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That explains that

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I got an email about that recall from Costco but our beans didn't have the bad codes so my bean stockpile is still secure.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What if I'm only bathing in the beans?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

its all nice on rice posted:

What if I'm only bathing in the beans?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does anyone get into Cara Cara oranges? They are a pink fleshed orange. I used to work with a lady who would get so excited about them and announce whenever they were in season. Maybe they aren't rare in other places. Anyway, my Co had pallets full today.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

phosdex posted:

Does anyone get into Cara Cara oranges? They are a pink fleshed orange. I used to work with a lady who would get so excited about them and announce whenever they were in season. Maybe they aren't rare in other places. Anyway, my Co had pallets full today.

Got those from my Costco. They were overall really tasty, though a couple were kinda dry inside. Would cara-caragain.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

phosdex posted:

Cara caras are pretty good but while Sumo's are in season that's all I'm going to buy

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For anyone who likes wine, the Barolo and Châteauneuf-du-Pape are back, if this year's are anywhere near as good as previous it's a hell of a deal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cara Caras are great, I was disappointed with the minneolas they had last time. Waaaay too acidic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

binge crotching posted:

For anyone who likes wine, the Barolo and Châteauneuf-du-Pape are back, if this year's are anywhere near as good as previous it's a hell of a deal.

I've been buying way too many bottles of the Hook or Crook Field Blend as it's been on sale for $5 ish for the past month. 92 points on wine enthusiast.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Costco, bring back the pallet of MD2020

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

phosdex posted:

They're pretty good; like others have said, it's produce so there are some duds here and there but overall it's a sweet and not too acidic orange. Pretty good stuff, worth trying out

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
What would be the recommended tequila of choice at Costco if we're only making margaritas with it?

Hopefully around the $25-35 mark. I really don't want to buy a premix bottle at the request of my s.o.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geodude posted:

What would be the recommended tequila of choice at Costco if we're only making margaritas with it?

Hopefully around the $25-35 mark. I really don't want to buy a premix bottle at the request of my s.o.

Any basic 100% agave tequila is fine for mixing, like a Kirkland Signature Silver tequila. Anything more expensive will be lost in the mix. Whether or not you go Reposado or Anejo is up to you, but most would use a Blanco for margaritas.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FogHelmut posted:

Any basic 100% agave tequila is fine for mixing, like a Kirkland Signature Silver tequila. Anything more expensive will be lost in the mix. Whether or not you go Reposado or Anejo is up to you, but most would use a Blanco for margaritas.

100% agree. Silver is the way to go usually.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Did Costco get rid of the Kirkland margarita mix? Tried to find some this week with no luck.

FogHelmut posted:

Speaking of their margarita mix, on a family vacation we tested this theory with a bunch of different tequilias up to Patron Gold in a blind taste test and it was very apparent which ones had the best tequila. So I disagree that you won't notice the tequila for margaritas.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 28, 2021

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geodude posted:

I really like the Cazadores reposado for my margs but silver is what most use. Añejo would be a waste. Since the subtle flavors would get lost. Get cointreau or grand marnier and then just add lime juice and your margs will be heavenly. I also like patron's citron for a triple sec replacement.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

El Jebus posted:

I really like the Cazadores reposado for my margs but silver is what most use. Añejo would be a waste. Since the subtle flavors would get lost. Get cointreau or grand marnier and then just add lime juice and your margs will be heavenly. I also like patron's citron for a triple sec replacement.

I really cannot emphasize the importance of fresh squeezed lime juice in your marg. But yeah 100% agave tequila blanco or reposado is required.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Solvency posted:

Did Costco get rid of the Kirkland margarita mix? Tried to find some this week with no luck.

Speaking of their margarita mix, on a family vacation we tested this theory with a bunch of different tequilia's up to Patron Gold in a blind taste test and it was very apparent which ones had the best tequila. So I disagree that you won't notice the tequila for margaritas.

If you're spending Patron money on tequila, there's a million other better tequilas than Patron, and you shouldn't mix them because they're actually really good.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Finally found my drat coffee! 23 miles from my local Costco, needed some Costco gas anyways where my local one does not sell gas. A whopping 4.09/gallon for premium here in CA... whoof.
I got 4 cases though so worth it!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

infraboy posted:

Finally found my drat coffee! 23 miles from my local Costco, needed some Costco gas anyways where my local one does not sell gas. A whopping 4.09/gallon for premium here in CA... whoof.
I got 4 cases though so worth it!

Nice. I can't find it near me at all. Also jealous of those of you who can buy Costco liquor. Can't get liquor at Costco here in Texas.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Can't get liquor at Costco here in Texas.

Texas loving hates freedom.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I do find it ironic that California takes a lot of flak for being a nanny state but buying booze here is a breeze. When I was bartending i’d hear all these crazy stories about people in states like Pennsylvania where beer has to be bought in beer only stores and liquor and wine is a separate ABC controlled store. Definitely not in supermarkets or convenience stores, and honestly a lot of it makes 0 sense and it’s some holdover from the prohibition days.

Also Patron is really good as a shot I think wince it’ks nice and clean. A really good mixing tequila for the price is Espolon. Just do yourself a favor and only.buy tequila that is 100% agave. I got spoiled on Margaritas made with fresh lime and agave syrup instead of using mix.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 28, 2021

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

skipdogg posted:

Nice. I can't find it near me at all. Also jealous of those of you who can buy Costco liquor. Can't get liquor at Costco here in Texas.

Not in the main building, no, but do yours not have the attached 'stco liquor store? The ones I've seen in DFW all do. Selection has never been amazing, though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ledhed posted:

Not in the main building, no, but do yours not have the attached 'stco liquor store? The ones I've seen in DFW all do. Selection has never been amazing, though.

Yeah they do, I don’t think they sell anything Kirkland branded in there though. I don’t think I’ve ever gone in, there’s a Specs close to my house so we get liquor there

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

skipdogg posted:

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Texas loving hates freedom.

Yeah I recently learned that Texas doesn't allow publicly traded companies to sell liquor but even if THAT somehow got overturned, Costco still couldn't sell liquor in Texas. Texas law also states that if your store is opened before 10AM, closes after 9PM, or does ANY business on Sundays (even employees working, not open to customers) you can't sell liquor.

So yes, Texas loving hates freedom

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah I recently learned that Texas doesn't allow publicly traded companies to sell liquor but even if THAT somehow got overturned, Costco still couldn't sell liquor in Texas. Texas law also states that if your store is opened before 10AM, closes after 9PM, or does ANY business on Sundays (even employees working, not open to customers) you can't sell liquor.

So yes, Texas loving hates freedom

:ssh: In the Republican stronghold of Texas, despite claiming to be the party of less regulation, the reason the laws are so draconian, especially when it comes to liquor laws and enforcement by TABC, is it's a loving racket.

If you ever have to wonder why the government in Texas does anything, from privatizing the electric grid or gerrymandering the hell out of the state, just remember, it's a racket.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Blue laws and dry counties are stupid and the south is stupid for having them

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my costco was out of dog food :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

thathonkey posted:

my costco was out of dog food :confused:
Maybe this week you can have people food instead, as a treat?