Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe in a twist end, Ed and Lorraine get Dragged To Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

Charlie Band's trying to turn From Beyond into a Riverdale knock-off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI4Ms6l8haw

Terrible, but looking into Band I didn't know there are 14 Puppetmaster films

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUM27qw6a8

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

West Side Story is one of my favorites. That trailer looked really good to me. But uhh, did anything ever develop from Ansel Elgort getting outed as alleged abuser? Or did that all go up in smoke?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teagone posted:

West Side Story is one of my favorites. That trailer looked really good to me. But uhh, did anything ever develop from Ansel Elgort getting outed as alleged abuser? Or did that all go up in smoke?

West Side Story is cool and obviously Spielberg knows how to shoot a movie, but you're right that Elgort loving sucks so I dunno...

I always feel weird when a director like Spielberg or Scorsese announces their next movie and I'm not entirely on board where a part of me is like "gently caress, this is gonna be your last?". But Spielberg has that semi-autobiographical film next so I'm less concerned.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQB9nnbc9k

How on Earth does Vin have me emotional about going to the theater?

There's not really any new footage from the movie that I noticed, FYI. Just an emotional appeal to returning to the theater. That...somehow is working on me? What the gently caress.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

I always feel weird when a director like Spielberg or Scorsese announces their next movie and I'm not entirely on board where a part of me is like "gently caress, this is gonna be your last?". But Spielberg has that semi-autobiographical film next so I'm less concerned.

Spielberg will never retire. He just also hasn't made a great movie since, uh...I'm gonna go with Catch Me If You Can in 2002? He's made some decent ones, like Lincoln, but some absolute garbage, too, like Ready Player One. He's lost "it", for sure. (Admittedly, there are some movies I've missed, like Bridge of Spies and Munich, but I think that's about it.)

I just feel like I'm, in general, done with him. And whether or not I think Indy 5 is a good idea (it's probably not), I'm glad, at the very least, he's not the one doing it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQB9nnbc9k

How on Earth does Vin have me emotional about going to the theater?

There's not really any new footage from the movie that I noticed, FYI. Just an emotional appeal to returning to the theater. That...somehow is working on me? What the gently caress.

All 8 previous FF movies will be getting theater re runs for free as a lead up to this one too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All 8 previous FF movies will be getting theater re runs for free as a lead up to this one too.

Seriously? Well poo poo, count me in.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Vin Diesel is painfully earnest in a way that you just have to love. He's made a career out of playing his roleplay characters and bless him for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neurolimal posted:

Vin Diesel is painfully earnest in a way that you just have to love. He's made a career out of playing his roleplay characters and bless him for it.

Exactly. In a land of fake Hollywood people, Vin Diesel is the exact opposite of that. And I have to love that, even if I don't always love his movies. He's just...him.

When he played Groot, he asked what every, "I am Groot" line was really saying, so he could read it the right way. How adorable is that? And fantastic?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Seriously? Well poo poo, count me in.

Starting this week every Friday

https://twitter.com/thefastsaga/status/1385639615902621697?s=21

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrwhZJT3slw

This is where cinema begins .

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Spielberg will never retire. He just also hasn't made a great movie since, uh...I'm gonna go with Catch Me If You Can in 2002? He's made some decent ones, like Lincoln, but some absolute garbage, too, like Ready Player One. He's lost "it", for sure. (Admittedly, there are some movies I've missed, like Bridge of Spies and Munich, but I think that's about it.)

I just feel like I'm, in general, done with him. And whether or not I think Indy 5 is a good idea (it's probably not), I'm glad, at the very least, he's not the one doing it.

As soon as you said CMIYC was his last great movie, I was getting ready to reply that Bridge of Spies and Munich are among the best of his entire career... which turn out to be the ones you have not seen. You gotta get on those.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tintin was a great movie :colbert:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I definitely enjoyed War Horse way more than every single person I've met. There should still be space in our cynical culture for some hokey rear end poo poo, damnit :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPNyNr2Kp4w

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Tintin is a Peter Jackson movie. Look, I know it says Steven Spielberg but if you actually watch the film it’s obvious.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Vegetable posted:

I definitely enjoyed War Horse way more than every single person I've met. There should still be space in our cynical culture for some hokey rear end poo poo, damnit :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPNyNr2Kp4w

Did you mean Wah Hass?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

War Horse was great!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Counterpoint: Tintin was absolute poo poo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bugblatter posted:

As soon as you said CMIYC was his last great movie, I was getting ready to reply that Bridge of Spies and Munich are among the best of his entire career... which turn out to be the ones you have not seen. You gotta get on those.

Fair enough, I'll check them out soon.

GrandpaPants posted:

This, however, is a lie.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I hacent seen any F&F past 2 so I'm in for a treat these next Friday's my family and I are all vaxxed up too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I haven't seen Tintin since it first came out, but I remember my judgement at the time being that it was a better Indiana Jones movie than Indiana Jones 4. Probably due for a rewatch to see if that holds up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I guess? That's a mighty low bar, though.

It's a film that suffers significantly from its chosen aesthetic. Had it not gone for an ultra-detailed quasi-realistic look and feel it would be easier to forgive the cartoon logic and one-dimensional characters. It's a heightened presentation that begs to be taken seriously, but ultimately it's a silly kids movie that's trying way too hard and doesn't have anything under the hood. It either should have been written in a way that made the characters and events more grounded, or should have veered hard into the goofiness with cartoon visuals. It's a tonal mismatch between approach and material, like the Hobbit movies.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 27, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Peter Jackson just should have stopped with Return of the King I've kind of hated everything after that.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

feedmyleg posted:

I guess? That's a mighty low bar, though.

It's a film that suffers significantly from its chosen aesthetic. Had it not gone for an ultra-detailed quasi-realistic look and feel it would be easier to forgive the cartoon logic and one-dimensional characters. It's a heightened presentation that begs to be taken seriously, but ultimately it's a silly kids movie that's trying way too hard and doesn't have anything under the hood. It either should have been written in a way that made the characters and events more grounded, or should have veered hard into the goofiness with cartoon visuals. It's a tonal mismatch between approach and material, like the Hobbit movies.

The only section this criticism rings true is the climactic action set piece with the crane which is weirdly flat. The rest is really good and I don’t really sense how it’s trying to be taken seriously: it opens with a gag about how goofy 3D Tintin looks.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I'll watch Adam Driver in a bonkers Leos Carax movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4v1gNJkrE

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

feedmyleg posted:

It's a heightened presentation that begs to be taken seriously

What in the hell is this criticism? Do you think the reverse is true and that, say, the opening moments of Up are lessened because Ed Asner's character is cartoony? Whether or not you think the look works aesthetically is up for personal choice and I'm not going to debate that, but saying that it lends itself more to like, a serious drama or whatever you're trying to say is a laughable critique.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're right, aesthetics have no bearing on how a film is received by an audience. Form and function have no relationship to each other.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tintin was great and I wish there was sequels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll defend Lincoln, loved that movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'll defend Lincoln, loved that movie.

Same, it rules.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/NetflixFilm/status/1387028759841177605?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thrawn527 posted:

Exactly. In a land of fake Hollywood people, Vin Diesel is the exact opposite of that. And I have to love that, even if I don't always love his movies. He's just...him.

When he played Groot, he asked what every, "I am Groot" line was really saying, so he could read it the right way. How adorable is that? And fantastic?

Did Diesel not also insist on not using a "voice double" for the foreign releases? So he learned to say "I am Groot" in 15 different languages as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

Did Diesel not also insist on not using a "voice double" for the foreign releases? So he learned to say "I am Groot" in 15 different languages as well.

I believe that is accurate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's cool and I respect that.

It's kind of like how Ryan Reynolds insisted that no other person ever wear the Deadpool costume but him in any marketing aspect and regardless of territory so he was spending a LOT of time dressing up and like, doing intros for CineEurope and poo poo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched the Last Witch Hunter last Christmas and I actually had a good time. Vin's such a watchable dork.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDGe7ozamj0

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's Pixar but why do I think of Wallace & Gromit when I see this? The teeth and mouths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Something about this feels really...generic? Phoned in? to me. Like I wouldn't have guessed this was Pixar if it didn't have the logo at the start.