Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I got stuck for a while on Snyders slightly annoying fondness for "hero is about to die but other hero suddenly makes big dramatic entrance" eg Wonder Woman saving Batman in BvS, Superman getting in front of Steppenwolf's axe, etc. It just happens constantly in these movies!

Anyway then I realised that the "at the speed of force" scene at the end of ZSJL serves as a punchline to that whole trope- Barry misses his chance to do a big hero dramatic last-second entrance, so he rewinds the movie so he can get one. So I like it again now

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like that's a pretty standard superhero thing already.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, that's a normal superhero thing. They all do it. Infinity War and Endgame do it constantly, like upwards of 5 or 6 times across both movies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The biggest pop in Endgame is literally that trope times the entire MCU lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you can't appreciate a good 'Goku's finally made it' moment I don't know what you're doing watching comic book movies tbh

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So what's the final consensus on the Snyder Cut? Great or Garbage or just GAverage?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bisse posted:

So what's the final consensus on the Snyder Cut? Great or Garbage or just GAverage?

It was great, but for the love of god please don't #restorethesnyderverse because my aging body can't handle 4 hour superhero movies

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

smoobles posted:

It was great, but for the love of god please don't #restorethesnyderverse because my aging body can't handle 4 hour superhero movies

I can only handle binge watching episodic shows because my cat chewed the pause button off my remote.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bisse posted:

It's great, but i'm biased. Give it a try, see what you think

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bisse posted:

Basically everyone agrees that it's better than the theatrical release, outside a few holdouts it also seems like the Snyder DC film best critically received beyond a few common complaints (Gadot is bad at acting, Leto sucks, the epilogue scenes in general seem to have very mixed reception).

It looks great, it has enough levity and optimism to avoid being absurdly dour (but not in that lazy quippy way), and it seems to be the one where everyone really 'gets' the niche Snyder wanted to carve with the DC films. Also it made WB and Whedon look really bad, positives all around.

It's wild that even with this gratuitous project to give Snyder complete creative control over his cut of JL, someone at WB (Geoff Johns) still managed to prevent him from adding John Stewart at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I can only handle binge watching episodic shows because my cat chewed the pause button off my remote.

the snyder cat

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bisse posted:

It's a good-rear end time. For my money it's the weakest of Snyder's superhero trilogy, but I think I'm in the minority there. Even then, it's hardly a crime to not be as good as Man Of Steel and BvS

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bisse posted:

I loved it. Really, really loved it. It's massive, sprawling, indulgent, but most importantly, it has an awful lot of heart.

Like, just speaking personally, it turned up at a time in my life when I really needed it. It's an unabashed defence of faith and hope and solidarity. It has a surprising amount of levity, but it's 100% serious about that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Agreed. If there's one thing Marvel "steals", I hope it's the unflinching love for their roots.

Mother boxes is such a small simple thing, but the fact that comic book writer Joss whedon thought the name sounded dumb and needed to be changed to an oedipal manifestation is an indictment on the current state of movie cape poo poo.

And also that they stop going for the cheap quip to break tension for more than just phase finales. Movies need tension that carries for more than an act break to be impactful beyond the next day.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

2house2fly posted:

It's a good-rear end time. For my money it's the weakest of Snyder's superhero trilogy, but I think I'm in the minority there. Even then, it's hardly a crime to not be as good as Man Of Steel and BvS

I'm in the same boat - I actually like MoS more than BvS, and BvS more than JL, but I'm glad they all got made and only wish we lived in a universe that could deliver a fourth flick wrapping up the whole saga.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Bisse posted:

Significantly better than the theatrical cut, but it still could have used someone to tell Snyder to trim up a few pieces, in particular the epilogue. There could have been a 3 hr 20-30 min cut of this film that would be :discourse: instead its a p good film that still has some irritating flaws, a few of which imo you can't escape given the construction of the series.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I like it the least out of Snyder’s trilogy but it’s still good and I feel like it should be the baseline for how these superhero team-up movies work. No character feels underdeveloped or useless, every member of the League is a full character in their own right with their own arc. If it means every team-up movie needs to be 4 hours, I’d prefer that approach than doing some lovely wink-nudge self-awareness of how dumb of a character Hawkeye is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just waiting on the Joker/Batman Rashomon movie where they're bitching at each other like a married couple.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just waiting on the Joker/Batman Rashomon movie where they're bitching at each other like a married couple.

Would you settle on a story where Joker takes care of a baby Batman?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Significantly better than the theatrical cut, but it still could have used someone to tell Snyder to trim up a few pieces, in particular the epilogue. There could have been a 3 hr 20-30 min cut of this film that would be :discourse: instead its a p good film that still has some irritating flaws, a few of which imo you can't escape given the construction of the series.

Building on this, but it is very much "Zack Snyder's Justice League the extended home release edition" where every single scene and every but of self indulgence is added back in as a matter of principle. I honestly think the movie is still extremely tight outside of a few scenes (the aforementioned epilogue as well as the in movie scene of the Martian Manhunter specifically) and it is definitely the most "crowd pleasing" of Snyder's trilogy. Honestly if you consider the movie to be over once the words "Epilogue" appear on screen it is an extremely solid movie, the epilogue is a bunch of bonus, expanded, post-credits-esque scenes that aren't really necessary to the movie proper.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

Three Jokers and a Baby (the baby is batman)

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I'm in the same boat - I actually like MoS more than BvS, and BvS more than JL, but I'm glad they all got made and only wish we lived in a universe that could deliver a fourth flick wrapping up the whole saga.

I'm in the same boat, mostly because there is progressively less Superman in each movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Release the moustache cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nxanN85O84

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

I think it’s interesting because it’s very much not a continuation of MoS and BVS. Like, the plot lines up and everything, but the “parallel universe” narrative marks a fairly large shift.

Instead of a looming apocalypse, we have a more abstract ‘darkness’ that’s already here and just slightly out of view. In keeping with that, the antagonist is almost explicitly just trying to demoralize people before the ‘actual’ prophesied conflict.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bushisms.txt posted:

Agreed. If there's one thing Marvel "steals", I hope it's the unflinching love for their roots.

Mother boxes is such a small simple thing, but the fact that comic book writer Joss whedon thought the name sounded dumb and needed to be changed to an oedipal manifestation is an indictment on the current state of movie cape poo poo.

And also that they stop going for the cheap quip to break tension for more than just phase finales. Movies need tension that carries for more than an act break to be impactful beyond the next day.

It's funny cause Whedon pushed hard for the awful Cap costume in the first Avengers movie. Whedon isn't embarrassed by dumb cape poo poo, he just has bad taste

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Away all Goats posted:

It's funny cause Whedon pushed hard for the awful Cap costume in the first Avengers movie. Whedon isn't embarrassed by dumb cape poo poo, he just has bad taste

the best part about that is how the standard defense line was "WELL cap's outfit has always been goofy, how could you possibly make it look good!?!?!?!?" despite that it was both coming off a movie where they'd done a pretty good retro adaptation of it and also how every suibsequent version managed to not look nearly as doofus assed

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Whedon hates triangles and likes circles because they have meaning and triangles don't(citation needed)

https://www.firstshowing.net/2012/whedon-calls-iron-mans-triangle-rear end-evolves-back-to-the-circle/

That's the thinking in his dumb brain, he could've just said "Iike the original circle symbol" instead of putting down triangles for no reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the best part about that is how the standard defense line was "WELL cap's outfit has always been goofy, how could you possibly make it look good!?!?!?!?" despite that it was both coming off a movie where they'd done a pretty good retro adaptation of it and also how every suibsequent version managed to not look nearly as doofus assed

Even the doofy comic accurate stage show version from First Avenger is significantly better than the Avengers outfit, since at least it doesn’t turn him into a bobble head. Every one of the later costumes is an improved iteration of the First Avenger combat outfit and follows two basic rules that the Avengers outfit fucks up: 1. Make it a darker blue (the dude doesn’t need to be visible in the dark like an emergency worker) and 2. Make the headpiece a modified helmet (and don’t add a bunch of unnecessary bulk to it)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Miching Mallecho posted:

Whedon hates triangles and likes circles because they have meaning and triangles don't(citation needed)

https://www.firstshowing.net/2012/whedon-calls-iron-mans-triangle-rear end-evolves-back-to-the-circle/

That's the thinking in his dumb brain, he could've just said "Iike the original circle symbol" instead of putting down triangles for no reason.

No, dude hates triangles. The studio wanted the shield dome in JL to be triangular, but he changed it because "it looks too much like Star Wars".

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Miching Mallecho posted:

Lol I love this

quote:

And so I said, 'Great! Then you're going back to the circle because the triangle is rear end.' I'm sorry, but I'm a classicist, the circle has a meaning, the triangle does not." Ouch! But so be it, he seems to hint that there is a reason for it and I'm sure we'll find out in a few months.
it's so protobreadtube. Well this is stupid while this old thing has meaning. "What's the meaning?" .....

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I bet the reason is that Whedon considers triangles to be phallic and circles to be yonic. It's the kind of superficial symbolism that would be on brand for Whedon.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

W-wait, people here like Batman v Superman? Like, for real?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Why wouldn't I?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Yup.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The story of being annoyed by Batman is extremely relatable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bisse posted:

heck yes

although personally it's my least favourite of the three

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bisse posted:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Bisse posted:

More amazing IMO that there are people who don't like BvS.

At least the Ultimate Cut, I can see being wtf at that mutilated cut they showed in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Man, I love those awful Hobgoblin adverts. Can only assume the beer tastes absolutely vile.