Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Any idea if the detail on the Sirbine is stickers or not? if it's not I feel like it'd absolutely be worth that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is there a way to pre-order the Sirbine from Canada? I waaaaaaaant it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The little blue and red gems in the middle of the gold trim are probably stickers, but I don’t see how the gold itself could be. Also dang, I might have to order that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I don't know much about the franchise but that's a slick looking robot.

I know Tomino made it, does it have any direct ties to Gundam beyond that?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Not really, outside of maybe being part of the inspiration for the enemy faction suits in Victory in that they are kind of insectoid.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Null of Undefined posted:

Why does micro sol and micro set have to always make my hands smell like cat piss? Are they anomia based or smth?

I sincerely don't know the answer to this question but it did make me imagine someone fat fingering the entire decal process instead of using tools and then staring at their fingers in revulsion when they were done

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder when that second wave of gundam unleashed kits will actually happen.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Zodack posted:

I sincerely don't know the answer to this question but it did make me imagine someone fat fingering the entire decal process instead of using tools and then staring at their fingers in revulsion when they were done

I pictured the same thing when I posted it, I use brushes, q tips, and tweezers but the smell always gets on my hands by the end. I'd wear gloves but I feel like I have less control over the tools when I wear gloves so I mostly only do that when painting or cleaning now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ethiser posted:

The little blue and red gems in the middle of the gold trim are probably stickers, but I don’t see how the gold itself could be.

See also: Sinanju :negative:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Null of Undefined posted:

Why does micro sol and micro set have to always make my hands smell like cat piss? Are they anomia based or smth?

They smell more like vinegar and acetone to me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That cat needs to see a doctor if its piss smells like acetone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So no P-Bandai in Canada, huh? :smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Not really, outside of maybe being part of the inspiration for the enemy faction suits in Victory in that they are kind of insectoid.

The Zanscare suits are inspired by shakōkidogū. Those aren't compound eyes, they're snow goggles.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The Zanscare suits are inspired by shakōkidogū. Those aren't compound eyes, they're snow goggles.

Some may be, but you've also got stuff like the Shokew which is definitely based on an insect.

Build Fighters even has someone turn an Abigor, a beetle like suit, into a Dunbine reference.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 28, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're elites are literally called yellowjackets

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Midjack posted:

you know what I think you're right, it's definitely more of a vinegary smell

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The next entry grade will be the Strike

Lite version comes only with knives for 500 yen, standard loadout is 700 yen. December release for lite, January for standard.

https://bandai-hobby.net/site/entry_grade/strikegundam.html

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Makes sense I guess, probably never going to do the Zaku.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Makes sense I guess, probably never going to do the Zaku.

Depends how big the line gets, I'd think.

If they ever feel the need for an even more entry level "baddie" suit, the Zaku is the natural choice. But right now it's just "Hey, you like this anime? Here's the biggest name from that anime at a low price."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Depends how big the line gets, I'd think.

If they ever feel the need for an even more entry level "baddie" suit, the Zaku is the natural choice. But right now it's just "Hey, you like this anime? Here's the biggest name from that anime at a low price."

They'll probably stick to the "big" protagonist Gundams for the line, I reckon. The Exia will probably be next.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Do you guys have a preferred brand of sandpaper? I found what looked like good, high grit sandpaper from 3M but I would like y'all's opinion.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Midjack posted:

That's basically what they are. There's additives and other stuff, but -set is partially/mostly vinegar and -sol is acetone-based.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Balache404 posted:

Do you guys have a preferred brand of sandpaper? I found what looked like good, high grit sandpaper from 3M but I would like y'all's opinion.

I really like the sanding sponge variety packs from God Hand. A lot of their products are overkill, but I would say their sponges are up there with their Ultimate nippers as something where overengineering actually provides value.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

catgirlgenius posted:

I really like the sanding sponge variety packs from God Hand. A lot of their products are overkill, but I would say their sponges are up there with their Ultimate nippers as something where overengineering actually provides value.

I might look at that, I love my glass file but sometimes you get weird nub placements where it won't fit.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished the HG Lupus Rex finally and jeez the mace is pretty heavy for it (took several minutes to pose in a way where the torso didn’t just topple). Dunno if I want to do an IBO suit next so I’m eyeing doing the HG Zeta or Moon Gundam.

I do *really* want to buy at least one MG for my first MG and I’m thinking a SEED suit for that. So far the MG Aegis and Blue Frame 2nd Revise speak to me the most. I guess there are other Blue Frame kits out there that look good to me; was always a bigger fan of the Blue Frame out of all Astrays. Any pitfalls/warnings to know ahead of time if I bite on either of these?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The Moon Gundam is like RG level detail and a super cool assembly process but I'm not a huge fan of the suit itself and wish it was just a Varguil instead :shobon:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Moon has no stickers, it's great. First kit I line paneled and I went overboard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Moon is a sublime build.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I’d open my Moon box now but I do want to take the next step in learning how to panel line and I figure I would try to test it on one or two things I also have first just in case I screw up a few times (Likely the Zeta and/or Vidar are going to be the guinea pigs).

I dunno what made me want an MG all of a sudden though, but I may check one of the shops around here and see if they have an Aegis/Blue Frame though

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Moon seems cool but for now I gotta get my Haze'N-Thley II Rah done so I can clear it out of the way.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'll pick up a Moon Gundam when they make a proper MG/RG version of it. HG just does not do it for me. I do like the design though its very cool.

Currently just kinda stuck 1/2 way through my RG Eva, its got everything but an arm and the shoulders...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'll pick up a Moon Gundam when they make a proper MG/RG version of it. HG just does not do it for me. I do like the design though its very cool.

If you like the design I think you should get it. Really is one of the most well designed 1/144s out there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

If you like the design I think you should get it. Really is one of the most well designed 1/144s out there.

Yeah this. Even if you aren't over the moon (:v:) about the design it's a very satisfying build.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Moon also comes with a free Action Base 5, because evidently Bandai thought they didn't sweeten the pot enough already

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Moon Gundam is supposed to be made off the same frame as that purple proto-sazabi, right? That's what I recall from the line art mechanics. Is that getting an HG release?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Moon Gundam is supposed to be made off the same frame as that purple proto-sazabi, right? That's what I recall from the line art mechanics. Is that getting an HG release?

The Varguil had a p-bandai HG release either last year or earlier this year.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The Varguil had a p-bandai HG release either last year or earlier this year.

Last year. I've seen it in person at places that stock P-Bandai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
P-Bandai? Fuuuuuuuck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It was a 45-second sellout on the us store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Are there any reviews out there of the 1.5 non scale? Not like I can actually afford it atm but I'm going through Muv-Luv right now and there's a nonzero chance I'm gonna want one eventually by the end, so adding it to my wishlist couldn't hurt.

But that's assuming the color separation is good and it looks fine without needing too much paint.

I only have the early Takemikazuchi non-scales and they're pretty typical koto kits where there's not a lot of clever engineering and you basically need a stand. I found the joints bad at best, loose for the limbs but too tight for the thruster packs. Looking on 1999/Dalong's pics the 1.5 non-scales later include and fix a lot of things, from completely replacing several joints (1.0's basic hip ball joints to something more complicated, new ankle joint and ankle pieces, etc.) to make it stand better and poo poo. There's additional things like new gun molds so you can swap out the short P90-esque bits for the long Famas-style rifle. I'd them satisfactory kits at best but muvluvs are sexy mechs.

Here's a pic of the naked kit from dalong.