Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah it seems to fit that Fdev expected good outfitting to be something you stumbled across at random on your travels rather than something you sought out. It wouldn't necessarily be a terrible idea if this game were entirely different, called Everspace or something, and if ships were even slightly functional for the various tasks without a very specific spread of equipment. Elite is at its worst when you expect something from it on any level, by design. Including something as unreasonable as a prospector limpet controller.

Advice people gave in local chat used to be "go to high tech systems for better outfitting" but that was as close as you could get.

also the random poo poo stuck in places.

Why the gently caress is the wake scanner a Utility Hardpoint when every other scanner in the game goes in a optional slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if the game would have been better with a different approach to the whole fitting system. Perhaps have the base game only ship with C, D and E rank modules, and the Engineer expansion would have allowed boosting those modules to force upgrade to B (grade 3 access) and A (grade 4 access) rank modules, with perhaps a mythical S (grade 5 access) rank. No modification system at all, no RNG variances in effectiveness.

Of course, that system wouldn't allow 80LY exploracondas, either. And I think I like the charge/boost fabrication system, although the free soulbound materials storage is a bit OP.

toplitzin posted:

Why the gently caress is the wake scanner a Utility Hardpoint when every other scanner in the game goes in a optional slot.

Good point. Perhaps the other scanners should also be utility hardpoints.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

toplitzin posted:

Wake scanner was supposed to be a combat module so that 10ly FDLs could 'chase' 30ly Asps across the bubble except oh wait they forgot the part where anything else about that makes sense or functions. Engineering may have been added just to give some vague justification for the existence of that module.

A lot of modules and ideas in Elite can be explained by 'exists in other sci fi' or 'sounds neat' without actually having the necessary mechanics coded into the game to function. See also the ECM.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I also :argh: at the "you can sell the planet landing package, but gently caress you it's a reserved slot for only the planet landing system, so no swapping in SC or docking or DSS and saving your 2 slot for something 'useful' you can have an empty slot now."

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
One of the best things they could do for the game is to allow subdividing optional internals. Perhaps limit it to internals of odd size. Got a spare size 3 slot? Sacrifice 1 space to get 2 size 1 slots.

They even have a useful prototype for this in the form of the size 4/6 SRV hangars. Just allow putting modules in the 'vehicle' slots, instead.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Ambaire posted:

One of the best things they could do for the game is to allow subdividing optional internals. Perhaps limit it to internals of odd size. Got a spare size 3 slot? Sacrifice 1 space to get 2 size 1 slots.

They even have a useful prototype for this in the form of the size 4/6 SRV hangars. Just allow putting modules in the 'vehicle' slots, instead.

They'd have to rework the entire outfitting system for this, like I was saying the other day about how module size scaling works, 5x size 1 HRPs = 7 tons, 1040 raw HP with +70% resistances while 1x size 5 HRP = 22 tons, 738 raw HP with +15% resistances, so everyone would immediately subdivide every single slot and stack into infinity health. Rather than more freedom I would like less, defensive capabilities should be split from regular outfitting to narrow the spectrum and effects of stacking. Then they could do what they wanted with utility stuff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Inventory tetris would be a more interesting way to handle outfitting then the current system yes. If they wanted to go nuts they could even have different module ratings in the same size class take up different amounts of space, and further change things up with engineering.

You almost might even be able to encourage a wider variety of (valid) ship fits out of such a system.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Inventory tetris would be a more interesting way to handle outfitting then the current system yes. If they wanted to go nuts they could even have different module ratings in the same size class take up different amounts of space, and further change things up with engineering.

You almost might even be able to encourage a wider variety of (valid) ship fits out of such a system.

I honestly would enjoy if more games used an inventory tetris style approach to equipment. Let me decide if I want this hull to be one giant oversized gun, or a balanced loadout, or a swiss army knife of tiny modules.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Warmachine posted:

I honestly would enjoy if more games used an inventory tetris style approach to equipment. Let me decide if I want this hull to be one giant oversized gun, or a balanced loadout, or a swiss army knife of tiny modules.

The problem with that in ED is that it would make smaller ships even more irrelevant. Big ships wouldn't compromise, they'd fit in the entire swiss army knife of tiny modules *and* the giant oversized gun, shield generator and FSD. Slots is the only thing vaguely holding back big ships.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They desperately need to consolidate limpet controllers. Why would I ever fit recon limpets, which I believe are exclusively for hacking megastructures?

But if I could just do it with a standard multitool controller, sure I would take the odd hack space station mission.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Warmachine posted:

It already is like this though. Elite's problem is simultaneously too much outfitting freedom and not enough viable choice. It's the worst of both worlds.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the tips on how to make money, I might use the Robigo run when I get bored of doing things the 'intended' way. Did a long sightseeing tour, about 700 LY I guess, yesterday, made 7 million. But of course the real payment was the friends screenshots I made along the way.

I find the rather strict time limit for these missions annoying though, I don't always know how long I get to play (comes with having a kid) and a time limit of 14 hours for a mission that takes 2 hours or so to complete means I'm screwed if I don't finish it in a single session.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Martian posted:

I find the rather strict time limit for these missions annoying though

You should just go exploring for the sake of it then, 7 million for the mission is nothing compared to what you can earn from scanning systems.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tommy the Newt posted:

You should just go exploring for the sake of it then, 7 million for the mission is nothing compared to what you can earn from scanning systems.

note: If having your name on a system as 'discovered by' is something you want to see, Road to Riches takes you to known systems, so you won't find anything "new" unless you stop and jump around off the path given.

side note: when looking at some of the data sets, is a system discovered when you turn in your data, but not confirmed until another CMDR also confirms/finds it?

example - i found this one on my last 5kly loop:
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/64327141/name/IC+1396+Sector+FF-I+b38-3

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 27, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

The problem with that in ED is that it would make smaller ships even more irrelevant. Big ships wouldn't compromise, they'd fit in the entire swiss army knife of tiny modules *and* the giant oversized gun, shield generator and FSD. Slots is the only thing vaguely holding back big ships.

I mean, in a sane world there'd be some form of rock-paper-scissors where trying to swat a Small ship with a Huge gun is going to result in the huge gun missing constantly. Or some other reason not to always go glass cannon. But this assumes competence in game design, which I've previously been chastised for including in a conversation about Fdev.

Tommy the Newt posted:

It already is like this though. Elite's problem is simultaneously too much outfitting freedom and not enough viable choice. It's the worst of both worlds.

Not enough viable choice effectively neuters the first part. Until you have viable choices, it doesn't matter what the gear system looks like. You may as well just use experience points, because outfitting selection will be a solved problem and the only thing that matters is number go up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Warmachine posted:

I mean, in a sane world there'd be some form of rock-paper-scissors where trying to swat a Small ship with a Huge gun is going to result in the huge gun missing constantly. Or some other reason not to always go glass cannon. But this assumes competence in game design, which I've previously been chastised for including in a conversation about Fdev.

This is kinda sorta the case already. Trying to hit a Viper with C4 gimballed multicannons sucks and they wind up living way longer than you'd expect based on the calculated DPS. I think that isn't so much a deliberate design choice as it is the profile and speed of the Viper loving with the back end tracking from that gimbals though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

toplitzin posted:

note: If having your name on a system as 'discovered by' is something you want to see, Road to Riches takes you to known systems, so you won't find anything "new" unless you stop and jump around off the path given.

side note: when looking at some of the data sets, is a system discovered when you turn in your data, but not confirmed until another CMDR also confirms/finds it?

example - i found this one on my last 5kly loop:
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/64327141/name/IC+1396+Sector+FF-I+b38-3

You get the first discovery tag by turning in data to UC (and not before) but it doesn't have to be viewed by anyone for you to get the bonus to turning it in.

Whether it has to be viewed to have the tag is... more of a philosophical question than an actually meaningful one; how would you know if it DIDN'T have the tag, until someone viewed it, at which point, it would have it?

There should be Small ship only stations which offer actually valuable rewards. Maybe racing mechanics/competitions using the frankly incredibly set of assets they have for exactly that thanks to CQC, that reward building something other than max range, mx cargo, or max HP/guns.

What there should be, and what there WILL be, OTOH

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Martian posted:

I find the rather strict time limit for these missions annoying though, I don't always know how long I get to play (comes with having a kid) and a time limit of 14 hours for a mission that takes 2 hours or so to complete means I'm screwed if I don't finish it in a single session.

I suggest trying that Road to Riches thing. Exploration, be it RTR (which sticks strictly to already-explored space) or going out and exploring deep space are both low-pressure tasks you can pick up and drop whenever you feel like. There's no time pressure at all.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tommy the Newt posted:

Cease to Hope posted:

I suggest trying that Road to Riches thing. Exploration, be it RTR (which sticks strictly to already-explored space) or going out and exploring deep space are both low-pressure tasks you can pick up and drop whenever you feel like. There's no time pressure at all.

Thanks, you're both probably right. I just like the idea of ferrying around rich tourists, but I'll save that for when I know I have the time :)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Martian posted:

Thanks, you're both probably right. I just like the idea of ferrying around rich tourists, but I'll save that for when I know I have the time :)

You can ferry rich tourists to reasonable distances, there should be plenty of tourist sightings missions to 2/3 spots, all not too far within the bubble. The main thing you want if doing that is to only take missions from a tourism system, and the shortest/quickest ones you can, just to raise your faction rep in the station. That'll give you more missions to pick from and with better rewards once you reach allied. An Asp should comfortably reach any tourist destination in 3/4 hops at most.

Those missions are short, you'll likely do a few in a playing session, so there's no real commitment. You can even leave your tourism Asp at the station for a quick ship swap when you come back another day. Plus it'll mark your favourite tourism station on the galaxy map with the little ship icon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do I go about getting out of the bubble and putting my CMDR name on an unexplored system? I’ve done the space trucking grind, I’ve gotten to Sol, I think that’s next on my ED bucket list is to go waaaaay out.

How do I even go about figuring that out? Is there a listing of unexplored places to start jumping towards? How do people find them?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do I go about getting out of the bubble and putting my CMDR name on an unexplored system? I’ve done the space trucking grind, I’ve gotten to Sol, I think that’s next on my ED bucket list is to go waaaaay out.

How do I even go about figuring that out? Is there a listing of unexplored places to start jumping towards? How do people find them?

Go about 5000 LY ( or probably less ) out in a random direction. When I did my 5500LY for the engineer req, I went away from the core and found a whole shitton of unexplored blue star systems at my terminus, including first discovery bonuses on quite a few earthlikes and terraformables.

Probably best to head in a direction that's not in the general direction of a popular destination.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The 5kly trip is also needed to unlock one of the most useful engineers so may as well get cracking on it once you have a DBX or Asp Explorer ready with a fuel scoop and a good FSD.

It's entirely valid to even go towards an obvious waymark at that distance, like a nebula. Just don't go *directly* towards it, but meander a bit off to the side. Once you're away from the bubble you'll start running into lots of undiscovered systems as long as you aren't directly on the common route to Colonia or Sag A* or something.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there any way to view jumpable stars in the main window as some sort of target display? It would be so much more immersive than needing to visit the galaxy map every single time... and don't say "just browse the list on the left MFD", as it doesn't give any indication of their relative direction, and also only shows so many.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do I put my name on an unexplored system/ planet? Do I just have to honk or is there more to it?

I don’t want to get all the way out to one and realize I actually needed the special name assigning scanner which I don’t have lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
On exploration, it also helps to go up/down by a few hundred LYs from the galactic plane. Don't just fly straight on the plane, fly above/below it, and you'll likely find your first few unexplored systems a bit faster.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do I put my name on an unexplored system/ planet? Do I just have to honk or is there more to it?

I don’t want to get all the way out to one and realize I actually needed the special name assigning scanner which I don’t have lol

Honk, then open up the Full Spectrum System Scanner (it comes with the ship, but you'll probably need to assign some keybinds to it) and do the lockpicking minigame to scan the system. I use A/D for tuning, then mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out. If you care about money, you'll also probably want to fit a Detailed Surface Scanner (size 1 optional module) to scan terraformables and earthlikes (need to get within a few million meters of one to launch the probes).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You want a DSS to probe the planets in order to rub your name on them. There's one naming credit for scanning a planet with the FSS (the honk scanner, the one every ship has for free) and one naming credit for probing down a planet with a DSS. Oftentimes you'll find planets that were scanned but not probed.

Doing RTR will teach you how to probe down planets if you don't know how already.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is RTR

E: oh, road to riches?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Road to Riches, yeah.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Another thing that will help find more unfound systems is once you get out into the deep poo poo and star looking around, turn off "max distance" jump routing and go back to "economical" and you'll take smaller jumps more 'local' and you'll find more stuff just because you aren't taking the fastest route through a space.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Ambaire posted:

Is there any way to view jumpable stars in the main window as some sort of target display? It would be so much more immersive than needing to visit the galaxy map every single time... and don't say "just browse the list on the left MFD", as it doesn't give any indication of their relative direction, and also only shows so many.
Heck naw, you have to open the map subscreen every time. See thread title.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I cant recall if the config/xml file editing is for more stars in game/cockpit view or is it more stars in map view or both?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

First Discovered By is scanning with the Full Spectrum System Scanner. First Mapped By is scanning with the Detailed Surface Scanner.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
It would be super awesome if you cpuld switch to different view modes lile X-Ray or radio, the galaxy looks super amazing in other wavelengths. I saw images Nasa has up of the Orion nebula in the X-Ray end of the spectrum and its totally bananas.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Backstory: I always play elite with a Thrustmaster HOTAS 4, which lately has been really flakey on a couple of axes and it’s more frustrating than fun to use.

I suddenly also find myself in possession of two Logitech 3D pro sticks after a fantastic FB Marketplace find this weekend.

So, is there a good guide for getting twin stick flight set up? I really don’t know how it works, so just figuring it out by trial and error will probably take forever

Bumping because I still haven’t found a good dual stick setup guide for elite and my 2nd Logitech delivers today

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Why would you use dual sticks? I dont think the game is even wired for that kind of input shenanigans.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It can be for sure, the game doesnt care how the controls are bound, and youtube is full of "I LOVE MY DUAL STICK SETUP" but no one explains the setup

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, I think I found one that kind of explains it, although this is from 2015, but it should still be fairly accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSEscNG24JA

And this one has the button mapping laid out, although I dont agree with his use of the twist for throttle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jwc3xP53Fo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's worth mentioning, and I could be wrong about this, but you don't actually get your name on it until you turn it in at a Steller Cartographer.

I wish there was a list of the stuff you discovered. I found a lot of really cool stuff back in 2014/15 that I'd love to revisit.