Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
virtual on 1 is rly stiff and not that fun and i wish they put the sequel in there instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's completely bewildering

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's completely bewildering

I hated it. I remember trying to beat the 3rd dumbass opponent and not have a heated gamer moment while my wife was trying to snooze.
I mean, It looks cool as hell though and as a kid, you couldn't beat the idea of actually playing fighting robots.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Got to the big plot twist at the end of Tanimura's story in 4 and I want to kill myself

Was that the rubber bullets thing? That was so stupid it looped around and became hilarious and I loved it. If it’s something else I don’t remember because everything in that game that wasn’t Saejima-related just slid off my brain completely

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

saejima not killing anyone and only using rubber bullets was some major dumb poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Was that the rubber bullets thing? That was so stupid it looped around and became hilarious and I loved it. If it’s something else I don’t remember because everything in that game that wasn’t Saejima-related just slid off my brain completely
yeah. It's almos fjustified because of how it immediately cuts to the police chief looking at the report and going "this is loving idiotic why did you think this was a good idea, it's so dumb that the literal reason I know you're the mole is that I refuse to believe you fell for it"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its straight up fuckin retarded that saejima's guns were loaded with rubber bullets just so that bad guy could kill everyone himself. why would he do that, theres no reason except to make it so saejima never killed anyone. also his plan depends on saejima succeeding, why wouldnt he load the ueno seiwa's guns with rubber bullets too in case one of them got lucky and shot saejima in the head. completely fuckin stupid

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

its straight up fuckin retarded that saejima's guns were loaded with rubber bullets just so that bad guy could kill everyone himself. why would he do that, theres no reason except to make it so saejima never killed anyone. also his plan depends on saejima succeeding, why wouldnt he load the ueno seiwa's guns with rubber bullets too in case one of them got lucky and shot saejima in the head. completely fuckin stupid

For the first part, the excuse they gave was that he wanted everyone but the chairman and himself to die, so this way he could control who actually died while still having Saejima as the apparent gunman. For the second part yeah that was just unmitigated stupidity lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

virtual on is baffling

I was only able to beat the 3rd guy with the pink girl and even then it was close

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

super hang on rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

best part of 5 is that its got real arcade games instead of just that lovely shooter from 3 and 4. i played taiko no tatsujin for like an hour lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I was only able to beat the 3rd guy with the pink girl and even then it was close

i've beaten the third guy twice randomly but i have literally no idea what i do differently when i win or lose. sometimes i just get wrecked by the second robot before i can even hit him once and sometimes i roast him and near as i can tell i am doing exactly the same thing. i'm basically just button mashing one of the triggers and trying to point myself at the bad guy.

mahjong loving rules in kiwami 2, the little helpful notes on the tiles would have been great when i was still learning, you can control some of the rules if you want, the animations are glorious so that when you go out you feel like a boss, it's just a good time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Kiryu smiling like he's dreaming of the angels when he tsumo's ftw

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tfw you decide to emphasize an S rank in "Funny" during a hostess makeover and you find out she's some kind a hosed up stalker on the date afterward.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Wrapped up yakuza 3 story and all the substories, man the bowling physics are some bullcrap. On to 4!

Kamurocho in the rain is nice, a new atmosphere for a familiar place.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Hadn’t bothered with an Amon fight until 3, read that it’s the easiest of the series. Don’t think I’ll bother again, I’m not good enough at this stuff for it to be fun :/ Got him eventually but good lord what a slog

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m playing Judgment again, this time on PS5, and what can I say, it owns.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
going to finish 0 tonight. dunno if i should play kiwami 2 or the 4 remaster next.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you play kiwami 1 next

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dongicus posted:

you play kiwami 1 next

this.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dongicus posted:

you play kiwami 1 next

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Dongicus posted:

you play kiwami 1 next

2 was a lot better than 1 so i wanna play kiwami 2 a lot more than kiwami 1 to be honest. will i rly be missing out

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

absolutely

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Dongicus posted:

absolutely

it cant be helped

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

it cant be helped

enjoy majima everywhere.

the cabaret club owns in kiwami 2, because they all keep the absurd outfits i dressed them in to min/max their stats for the dates where they tell me how they're stalkers, they eat their feelings, they're alcoholics, etc.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It's crazy how much stuff is hidden away behind side missions. The whole spearfishing job and baseball management career can be really easily missed in y6, I'm glad I found them. I've been playing MLB 2021 so the baseball manager mode has been a lot of fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Huh the finale of 4 really arrived out of nowhere huh. What an oddly structured game

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
finished 0 and man the ending was pretty freaking bad. rest of the game was loving sick tho.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

man how sick is the heatmove where kiryu uppercuts a man into the air then punches him rapidly, shouting "ora ora ora ora ora"? just thinking about that for no particular reason rn

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Muscle Wizard posted:

finished 0 and man the ending was pretty freaking bad. rest of the game was loving sick tho.

The ending rules actually

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Muscle Wizard posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Muscle Wizard posted:

gently caress you

Dongicus posted:

man how sick is the heatmove where kiryu uppercuts a man into the air then punches him rapidly, shouting "ora ora ora ora ora"? just thinking about that for no particular reason rn

its so good, i missed it badly in kiwami 2, and style changing :(

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
The Majima part of the ending in 0 is the best scene I've seen of the whole series so far

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If you want a bad ending play Yakuza 5!

Then again, I witnessed someone in this thread saying it was great.

Maybe... in this world... different people like different things. Interesting. Am I on to something? Feel free to give me your thoughts and we can discover that phenomenon together.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the ending of 0 owns. i hope the series gets a prestige television adaptation so i can watch the scene where makoto demands the heads of dojima's lieutenants, and majima is just a moment too late.

it also gets better after playing kiwami, because it helps to set up the mirror between kiryu and majima: when the chairman explains to majima that he can't do what makoto asks because it's a debt that can never be repaid (and references saejima), it makes you empathize a little more with nishikiyama about his feelings of inadequacy compared to kiryu. in kiru's case, he's taking the fall for a murder he didn't even do, so nishiki is both taking the dark path that majima would have AND incurring the debt that mokoto would have, creating a permanent rift between him and kiryu.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
There's also this scene from the Ending of 0 that I found really entertaining it's when Kiryu puts on his gray suit with a dark red shirt underneath and Nishiki comments on how it looks like poo poo. I can't help but feel this is a direct response to that one interview with Yakuza members reacting to Yakuza 3 where they all trashed the suit.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i also felt that the ending of 0 was a letdown (finished it two days ago, my first yakuza game), but maybe that's just because the rest of the game owns so hard.

obviously Makoto demanding the lieutenants' heads is good, Kashiwagi showing up with the cavalry was also fun, Awano taking all the bullets for you kicks rear end, and the Lao Gui fight is good, but all that's the leadup! after that it kinda sputters out imo:

Shibusawa as the final boss was dumb and he was too easy after Lao Gui and ESPECIALLY after Kashiwagi in the prev chapter or w/e. he was hardest imo. also it sucks that Sagawa dies, I was hoping he would come back to torment Majima in the future, AND its dumb that Makimura doesn't recognize Majima AND that there's literally never an onscreen Majima-Kiryu conversation wtf

but for all that yeah 0 rules hard and I already started Kiwami

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation

Scythe posted:

AND its dumb that Makimura doesn't recognize Majima

Well she does and she doesn't, she gets a pang of familiarity and knows she knows him from somewhere. But Majima stays silent the whole time because he knows he can't be a part of her life. It's a great scene!

Scythe posted:

AND that there's literally never an onscreen Majima-Kiryu conversation wtf

There's that epilogue scene where Majima shouts at Kiryu just like in Yakuza 1, but yeah it sucks because there's no real bridge to it. P.S. Majima is fully jokerfied now. The end. Would've been better without it IMO

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It is really weird that the two never meet up when the game teases it a lot, they know each other by the point of Y1 so it's not like it would have been an issue. It's funny as a reversal of expectations but not sure that's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you get your wish of kiryu and majima finally meeting up in kiwami 1, over and over again