Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

Elviscat posted:

I literally don't know if this house is structurally sound enough to continue.

Like I am seriously considering selling this house for next to nothing and giving up.

I’d fake my own death (so my wife and kid could get the insurance money) and go live off of cat food under a viaduct or in a disused quarry.

I couldn’t even muster a bemused head shake over this one. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Drywall over it, add marble top kitchen island, jacuzzi tub, sell for 400k.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Greatest Living Man posted:

Drywall over it, add marble top kitchen island, jacuzzi tub, sell for 400k.

I could probably literally do this, lol.

Cat food and living under a bridge is option #2.

Looking at it again, the bowing looks pretty isolated to this section, which makes sense since it was the area worst affected by the beam rot and settling. When I get to the second floor maybe I'll add some steel tie rod and poo poo to stabilize that header.

Looking west, this wall is pretty level.

Looking East, bowing, but not as bad.

This will hopefully be solved with some significant sistering?

I have a more experienced carpenter who's willing to give me his opinion swinging by this weekend.

Hey check out my kitchen ceiling, what the gently caress is going on here? Bad attempt at a water damage repair?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Step five hundred is "more sistering than Alabama": Elviscat's house of horror

Seriously though, good Christ. I'd just rip all the studs out one at a time as I added new ones and then nail the sheathing to the new ones, but I know you just attached new floor joists to the new studs and might have sided over where you'd need to put nails so... gently caress.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You've got a welder, and the price of lumber is sky high.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Those are both interesting points.

Moved the wall about an inch before ripping the bolts out, will try more tomorrow, today sucked.

E: also wasted about $100 in lumber and smashed a hole in my brand new subfloor because I'm an idiot and shouldn't try framing around a problem when I'm literally on the verge of tears with anger and frustration.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 24, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That was an incredibly bad idea.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

After braining myself with a steel beam and 1ton chainfall I think I've reached an acceptable level of wall derangement.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am impressed that you got that wall pulled in like that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I kinda can't believe it worked, it took the visible slump in the roof out in that area too. I wouldn't exactly recommend my method though.

Got all the demo done to sister on 12x's to the rafters for the small cathedral section, it was loving disgusting when they put the last roof on they scraped all the poo poo right into the rafter bays, so I got rained on (plus a few mouse nests OFC).

Cleaned up a little, and took some general pictures with the sun streaming in all nice.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I would absolutely reccomend the general method of truing up that wall. I've put a lot of steel structures up that only become square after the application of wire rope and comealongs. Have good anchors on each side though.

Edit: forgot to say the place looks nice overall. I have contractor vision so bare studs and unfinished work doesn't bother me. That place will clean up nice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat dude, that worked pretty well. Nice that it un-slumped the roof, too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks guys.

Framing up the window, which is turning into some real Alabama framing (thanks Kastein) I have an audience.

ZOOM. ENHANCE.

An actual experienced carpenter was nice enough to do a pre inspection walkthrough, said everything looks fine, although he chided me for using screw on the ledger for the drop ceiling.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

:barf:

Whatever, I'm done loving with it.

No longer have to walk the plank to go to bed.

So, I'm thinking of trying to save the original second floor, uh, floor, but I don't know if it's a good idea, it's in rough shape, and it's a single layer of very dry, soft 1" T&G fir.

Seen here sandwiched between the floor and wall, there's some hosed up/missing sections, but I think I can locally source 4" T&G cedar that should be compatible, it'll be a little patchy in places, but I think that might lend it a rustic charm, second floor is (somehow) level enough, and it seems solid, the snap together bottom shelf particle board laminate sure isn't providing any structure.

Am I crazy to try and save this? Should I just slam some 1/2" OSB and Lifeproof over the top?

Also:

This is a bad development.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Am I crazy to try and save this? Should I just slam some 1/2" OSB and Lifeproof over the top?

Yeah probably.

Elviscat posted:

Also:

This is a bad development.

Huh?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah probably.

That's what I thought, I'll do this little section in cedar for now, it's not too terribly expensive.

Some little rear end in a top hat figured out she can get down the stairs and run around the construction site, sniffing everything and hiding from me, I have no way to keep her out at the moment. She might be hard to see, under the saw, snuffling at the fan for some reason.

Speaking of that fan, it doesn't work so good anymore, I put it in a window yesterday to extract some dust, big 'ol spark when I plugged it in, said "that was weird" and ignored it, until I moved it out of the window and it just exploded its cord off, without tripping the breaker :allears:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Some little rear end in a top hat figured out she can get down the stairs and run around the construction site, sniffing everything and hiding from me, I have no way to keep her out at the moment. She might be hard to see, under the saw, snuffling at the fan for some reason.

Aha! Infiltration!

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

The downstairs is looking good - did you save any of the kitchen, or did those walls have to be replaced too? Plus congrats on getting the carpenter's approval, hopefully they weren't the ones that passed inspection on the place before.

My minimal building experience is from repairing old flood-damaged places, so I'm somewhat used to seeing lots of old rot. Never had to deal with significantly rotted beams though, amazing that you got the place level and somewhat square.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The kitchen is in a stand alone addition circa the 70's (aluminum wire and Zinsco sub panel date it well), so I haven't had to touch that yet, contemplating ripping it down because it's on a slab that I know is cracked in half and buckling, and I suspect is unreinforced.

Today I made a big silver box.

Threw it in a hole.

And put the finger mutilator on top of it.

Which is just pathetic progress, I guess I can excuse it as I spent a lot of time head scratching about HVAC stuff. I don't think I'm cut out to be a tin knocker.

Also pulled the trigger late as hell on returning the 10kW strip heat for a 5kW, 10kW is just too much overkill for ~1000 sqft in this climate, I think 5kWs is about what was installed in baseboards before, and it did ok with failed windows and air just blowing through gaps and cracks in the place.

Bonus picture of pretty tubes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Are you doing this work in sandals rather than steel-toed footwear? :v: Or is that post-work wear?

Proper safety gear is important.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm seeing if I can match my toe to my finger :v:

I wore gloves all day at least (took them off to take pictures though) :saddumb:

E:
For real though this remodel is loving with my life and I'm kinda in zombie mode from when I get up until I go to bed because I can't think of anything else.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 28, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It seems uncomfortable to wear gloves on your toes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Elviscat posted:

I literally don't know if this house is structurally sound enough to continue.

Like I am seriously considering selling this house for next to nothing and giving up.

E: maybe I'm just freaking out, idk, I have no idea how to make this right.

What are we looking at?

I see freshly cut studs so there's no real structural integrity, but it looks like you did that recently. What am I missing?

edit: oh wait. Is it that the existing stud is so far out of alignment with the new stud? because :ohdear:

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 28, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Agrikk posted:

What are we looking at?

I see freshly cut studs so there's no real structural integrity, but it looks like you did that recently. What am I missing?

edit: oh wait. Is it that the existing stud is so far out of alignment with the new stud? because :ohdear:

I see you're new to this thread.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Elviscat's house of horrors: That was an incredibly bad idea

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PurpleXVI posted:

Are you doing this work in sandals rather than steel-toed footwear? :v: Or is that post-work wear?

Proper safety gear is important.

Proper what now? You mean Crocs, right?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Agrikk posted:

What are we looking at?

Yeah, specifically the roof was falling off that side.

It's only kinda falling off now.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Elviscat's house of horrors: That was an incredibly bad idea

:perfect:

Darchangel posted:

Proper what now? You mean Crocs, right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, specifically the roof was falling off that side.

It's only kinda falling off now.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

quote:

:perfect:

Genuinely made me laugh.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Agrikk posted:

What are we looking at?

Thank you for this, I knew something was horrifically wrong but I couldn't figure it out other than the cut studs and knew it couldn't be that simple. :ohdear:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sorry I didn't explain the wall thing well, but yeah, all the old studs were bent and cracking where they were seat cut for a 1x4 that the 2nd floor joists rest on. I thing I got it all solidified up well enough in the stairwell (the worst area, and the hardest to fix) I'll reinforce the rest of it when I hit the second story.

Got the adaptors for the 12" flex installed and the cold air return all screwed and mastic'd up, plus most of the rag joint made up.

I'm going to have to leave the air handler uninstalled for the drywallers I think, so I won't get to fire the system up for testing any time soon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vents are kicking my rear end.

I'm proud of this section though.

This is the main trunk.

All those people said those manual drafting classes in the early 2000's were worthless.

Installed.

Attic portion. I hosed up and put those starting collars on 90⁰ out so it fits up to the trunk below like poo poo (about 1" out) whoops, the flange is big enough to compensate.

The last big section of sheet metal that needs to go in, besides the flex adaptor to the supply side of the air handler. Ran out of steam after I got it all masticed up.

I also froth-paked most of the old shiplath seams, and various weird shaped areas created by putting level things in an unlevel old house. I'm not going to have loving mice and bugs and poo poo running around the walls after all this work.

E: three weeks to have this house liveable, drywallers are dodging my calls, my stress levels are through the loving roof.

Structural inspection scheduled for next Wednesday. Tried to call on my electrical permits, and they're expired, so that's fun.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 1, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elviscat posted:

E: three weeks to have this house liveable, drywallers are dodging my calls, my stress levels are through the loving roof.

It's like my painter buddy always said: "Leave a baggie of crack on the front step and the drywallers will come"

Okay so maybe he didn't say those words in that order exactly but I still have faith in the process :colbert:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 1, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Getting tradies to do anything is like punching in a dream.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, I'll have to try that, I've had multiple drywallers fall through at this point, the market is insane, the current company is the same that did my roof, and are only doing this as a buddy favor, with the tradeoff being that they do excellent work for an excellent price, because they'll come out my way on their way out to a vacation weekend, but their motivation and communication is kinda low based on that.

Also methamphetamine might be a better inducement in these parts.

E: Jaded Burnout yeah, specifically the "turn my dream into a nightmare" line fits pretty well.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 1, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I have to admit I'm curious about the venting, any particular reason you're custom-making rectangular vent pieces rather than just working with pre-made round vent piping?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

I have to admit I'm curious about the venting, any particular reason you're custom-making rectangular vent pieces rather than just working with pre-made round vent piping?

John McClane honeytrap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

The main trunk has to be rectangular to fit up to the air handler, and round duct and round adapters/reducers that could handle the required airflow aren't readily available, but bare sheetmetal is, plus for the downstairs I couldn't really fit the required diameter of round pipe to get the CFM I need. As is I had to order parts of the internet to use the two 12" flexible ducts for the cold air return that are pictured somewhere upthread before the floor went in.

I did lay the system out to use prefab/flexible round duct wherever possible, there'll be 2 8" round flex ducts in the attic, and 2 6" for the bathrooms when I'm done fitting everything up :).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

The main trunk has to be rectangular to fit up to the air handler, and round duct and round adapters/reducers that could handle the required airflow aren't readily available, but bare sheetmetal is, plus for the downstairs I couldn't really fit the required diameter of round pipe to get the CFM I need. As is I had to order parts of the internet to use the two 12" flexible ducts for the cold air return that are pictured somewhere upthread before the floor went in.

I did lay the system out to use prefab/flexible round duct wherever possible, there'll be 2 8" round flex ducts in the attic, and 2 6" for the bathrooms when I'm done fitting everything up :).

That's one hell of a hefty ventilation system. Around here, 100mm(about 4") would be the norm for a single room, like a bathroom, while the fan above a stove would be about 6". Pretty much nothing in home ventilation goes above the 6" size, anything bigger is more or less purely for industry.

Also consider using firm pipe rather than flex ducts if you can, they'll be a lot less noisy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Do you not have a lot of central forced air heating then?

Hard pipe would be better, but the flexible stuff is soooo much cheaper and easier and quicker, I'll be able to redo everything but the lines to the bathrooms (they'll be buried in the ceiling) later if I need to.

8' 2x12's are still unavailable, and 12' are as much as a 16, so I got to do some cutting in the Lowes parking lot. This saw is soooo much more useful with a 5Ah battery than the 3 it came with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hadn't checked my bookmarked threads since December and I have to say drat, you've made a ton of progress. I think I'm tired from just reading 8 pages worth of that work. Are you trying to sell it by mid-May?