Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It doesn’t mean anything to me but I’m thinking about if that’s a scum role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

D1 full claim? I have a weird power 😲

It would definitely have more utility as a scum role, yes.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm having s hard time parsing this post since it's replying to Somber and saying he sounds reasonable, but then talking about mason claiming instead. And I'm not sure if you're referring to the confirmed mason claim or the unconfirmed main claim, and if that's to compare and contrast with Somber and imply somehow that Somber is the one doing a very town thing, or if it's a jump cut with no segue so actually you aren't talking about Somber's role at any point.

Random's replies haven't been so bad, so let's try this instead for a while

##vote GGN

Yea that reads weird on a reread.

I meant to compare and contrast someone else strongly claiming mason involvement VS somber’s soft claim that seemed reasonable @ this moment.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I am bad with words :melter:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Idk somber I don't think anyone has seriously pushed you or said your OA case was super bad. I don't get what the fuss is but it's gonne be aight.

I'm interested to see what benis thinks scum was doing yesterday,...

.random
May 7, 2007

GenericGirlName posted:

I meant to compare and contrast someone else strongly claiming mason involvement VS somber’s soft claim that seemed reasonable @ this moment.

Hm. I actually disagree. The original soft claim came out as a way of “verifying” the cop, which seemed - without a counter claim forthcoming - not really needing any confirmation. To me, as I said in my vote D1, that sounded more scummy because it was a free way to curry favor and “confirm” a basically confirmed cop

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

.random posted:

Hey cool, OA. Dropping a vote on who I voted at the end of D1 and calling me scum in the same breath. I feel comfortable re-voting somber so let’s get that out of the way first :dance:

##vote: somber

RE: The Toalpaz case, it was an early D1 case. I still don’t get particularly townie vibes from Toalpaz’s posts, but I am liking IA’s posting from last night so I am at least likely wrong that there was some sort of meaningful unintentional omission going on. I am not planning to pursue Toalpaz today, barring some additional reasoning.

.random posted:

.random thoughts (tm-ing the hell out of that):

GGN vs. Mr. F, I am ok with voting either, but with a preference for Mr. F. GGN has lurked way harder, but Mr. F decided to break his lurk to first vote me without sharing anything in the thread, just within an unconfirmed mason-chat, which doesn't feel nearly as pro-town, and then votes Sandwolf on a supposed scum slip.

Speaking of Sandwolf, I'm still not buying the case on Sandwolf, which Toalpaz I think correctly characterized as a (my words not his) sort of unconnected mish-mosh vote that slowly coalesced.

RE: RF, I get better vibes from him than Mr. F and don't especially like this vote for today.

RE: Somberbrero, I've been getting weird feels. Somber didn't bother saying why the vote on Mr. F, which struck me as weird, and the whole "let me confirm the cop's weird power by mentioning my own weird power" felt like a way to earn townie points for free

##vote: Somberbrero

I went back to find the previous vote because I didn't know why random was voting me. Seems pretty weak to ride that into d2 without much further analysis, and weird to not comment on Obama's or merk's posts. Also 3rd vote scum?

##vote random

Voodoo you are a monster for preferring phone browser to the app, this is excruciating.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

.random posted:

Hm. I actually disagree. The original soft claim came out as a way of “verifying” the cop, which seemed - without a counter claim forthcoming - not really needing any confirmation. To me, as I said in my vote D1, that sounded more scummy because it was a free way to curry favor and “confirm” a basically confirmed cop

I don't think scum would confirm a town cop claims mechanics being weird.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Toalpaz posted:

Idk somber I don't think anyone has seriously pushed you or said your OA case was super bad. I don't get what the fuss is but it's gonne be aight.

I'm interested to see what benis thinks scum was doing yesterday,...

I'm being gaslit

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I'm being gaslit

Prepare to be girlbossed and gatekept

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GenericGirlName posted:

That's making a bit more sense to me but I am still confused now about one thing. You seem to be backing up Somber in saying "soft claiming isn't inherently scummy in general, like merk seems to think"...

GenericGirlName posted:

I have no context for Mafia Mafia but the rest of this seems reasonable. I think the mason claiming was pretty sus w/ as quickly as it happened. But soft claiming a role because you want to make sure town isn’t wildly off base seems like a very town thing to do.

But are you trying to say your initial impression of my mason claim with binus was wrong, and you shouldn't have been so suspicious of it when it seems like a townie thing to do actually? Or do you still think we're sus, and you're calling Somber's claim more townie?

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Bifauxnen posted:

That's making a bit more sense to me but I am still confused now about one thing. You seem to be backing up Somber in saying "soft claiming isn't inherently scummy in general, like merk seems to think"...

But are you trying to say your initial impression of my mason claim with binus was wrong, and you shouldn't have been so suspicious of it when it seems like a townie thing to do actually? Or do you still think we're sus, and you're calling Somber's claim more townie?

I'm definitively calling Somber's claim more townie, but I didn't think your mason claim w/ binus was sus enough to be a scum play, maybe just a weird town play thats Too Smart For Me. Just because I compared them both in one post doesn't mean I think 1 has to be a town play and the other a scum play.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

GenericGirlName posted:

Just because I compared them both in one post doesn't mean I think 1 has to be a town play and the other a scum play.

just general clarification to head that off

.random
May 7, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I went back to find the previous vote because I didn't know why random was voting me. Seems pretty weak to ride that into d2 without much further analysis, and weird to not comment on Obama's or merk's posts. Also 3rd vote scum?

##vote random

Voodoo you are a monster for preferring phone browser to the app, this is excruciating.

I was being a badass and dropping the mic cuz I beat OA to it last night. It felt cooler in my head.

But to whit:

I agree that OA pointed to language that exemplifies my bad vibes.

I need to reread you to evaluate Merk’s point, but I felt comfortable re-voting as it was. I’ll give a reread later though and let you know my opinions.

So along with your me-vote did you want to bother to explain your Mr. F vote or no?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GenericGirlName posted:

I'm definitively calling Somber's claim more townie, but I didn't think your mason claim w/ binus was sus enough to be a scum play, maybe just a weird town play thats Too Smart For Me. Just because I compared them both in one post doesn't mean I think 1 has to be a town play and the other a scum play.

Ok that's what really confuses me, I didn't think that could be what you meant. Me and binus very explicitly made our claim as early as we did to "make sure town isn't wildly off base". I often die early anyway, and if either of us died before we claimed, the person left would have a much harder time explaining all on their lonesome that actually, we were confirmed masons.

Somber's claim is more townie cause...? How is a very vague softclaim of "hey I have a weird power", to breadcrumb some multivote thing, supposed to help keep town from getting off base?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

.random posted:

So along with your me-vote did you want to bother to explain your Mr. F vote or no?

I didn't want a no lunch.

.random
May 7, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

I don't think scum would confirm a town cop claims mechanics being weird.

If there were serious concerns about it DGK were lying, I agree. I don’t think there were, and thus I thought it sounded performative

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It was maybe a little bit performative because I do think claiming is fun and exciting 😅 it's like you get a chance to have a little parlor room moment where you get to add another piece of the puzzle and someone else says 'wait if *that* is true then...'

.random
May 7, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I didn't want a no lunch.

You were the third vote on Mr. F (I think. If I am reading VoteFinder right) - that’s hardly in terminal “well, there are no other reasonable choices” territory

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

.random posted:

You were the third vote on Mr. F (I think. If I am reading VoteFinder right) - that’s hardly in terminal “well, there are no other reasonable choices” territory

Yeah I'm not playing a great game.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Somberbrero posted:

It's like preferring a needle in the eye to a needle in the groin.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

##vote merk

Mostly gut, but the whole "I'm not in a persuasive mood" thing yesterday has stuck with me. I also think the way he rolled off DGK to IA to Mr. F was pretty scummy.

I've been thinking about it all day and I still like the gut vote, at least more than anything else at the moment. I thought I was going to vote somber but his posts feel honest right now, and why would he soft claim with no pressure day 1 when DGK claimed?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It would allow Somber to claim a truthful thing like a good townie while also still being scum and not really giving any great info out

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

It would allow Somber to claim a truthful thing like a good townie while also still being scum and not really giving any great info out

Maybe.

I’d still rather vote merk.

.random
May 7, 2007

The last few posts are the most honest sounding you’ve made and tbh I feel kind of bad :( fine, I’m gonna unvote til I can do that read through on merk’s point later tonight.

##unvote

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
##vote ggn

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still think it's Sandy, I'm feeling it ##vote sandwolf

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Random's unvote feels super reasonable ##unvote

I'm not getting the ggn vote, what's up with that?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

Random's unvote feels super reasonable ##unvote

I'm not getting the ggn vote, what's up with that?

She can lurk a lot when she's scum, and the times she's showed up feel like she's not actually contributing, just showing up to be seen to be doing something.

That reply to you that I've been prodding her about is a great example. It doesn't seem to make any sense as a townie thought process actually trying to figure the game out. I suspect she didn't actually think you making some super vague claim of having a power at all before you explained your role later, which ended up just being some voting thing, could be more townie than me and binus claiming our masonry to try and better prove our alignments to people.

I suspect she only said something like that to suck because she already knows you're town after all. Cause she's scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

I suspect she only said something like that to suck because she already knows you're town after all. Cause she's scum.

Oh jeez maf edit: "to suck UP", not just "to suck" that was not intended to be that mean lol

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bifauxnen posted:

She can lurk a lot when she's scum, and the times she's showed up feel like she's not actually contributing, just showing up to be seen to be doing something.

That reply to you that I've been prodding her about is a great example. It doesn't seem to make any sense as a townie thought process actually trying to figure the game out. I suspect she didn't actually think you making some super vague claim of having a power at all before you explained your role later, which ended up just being some voting thing, could be more townie than me and binus claiming our masonry to try and better prove our alignments to people.

Okay, I think I understand. Essentially the comment on my claim was fake because you believe that ggn's reaction to my claim doesn't match up with ggn's reaction to your claim, she was in a rush to believe me because she thought it would make her look townie? Am I stating that correctly?

I guess I don't have so much confidence in that immediately because I find the confusion believable, but I'd have to go back and see the comment ggn made about your claim.

One thing that sticks out to me is Toalpaz's comment on how this was a good start for scum. I'm a little confused as to why. We lost a mason and a 3p survivor and that's it? I don't get the scum mindset for that comment, but I also don't get the town motivation.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

Okay, I think I understand. Essentially the comment on my claim was fake because you believe that ggn's reaction to my claim doesn't match up with ggn's reaction to your claim, she was in a rush to believe me because she thought it would make her look townie? Am I stating that correctly?

Yeah you got it pretty much. And I voted her for some extra oomph to try and get her to explain where she's coming from in that post but it doesn't seem to add up to me.

Don't know if she's like, in a rush to believe you cause that'd directly make her look townie, but more like, trying to find something to talk about as scum. And finally landing on making a post that's just something kinda conversational with you and non confrontational, all "oh yeah I see where you're coming from" (which is easier when you already know someone's town) instead of making reads.

Except by saying that nice stuff to you she (seemingly accidentally imo) left this weird implication that my mason claim somehow wasn't as Towny as your "softclaim" and it doesn't seem to make sense. When I pushed her on it, she seems to have just bailed after a bit to lie low again. Don't wanna get all into post-timing arguments too hard but yeah I suspect her for content lurking like this overall.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Its tough to say, I don't think it's GGN just because I don't want it to be GGN. It would be nice if GGN wasn't responding to reads on her, and talked more about other players.

I will say that I won't lose sleep over voting merk today. I am down, it's just that openly saying that you'll be playing differently is kind of a bold thing to do as scum but it isn't impossible at all.

Somberbrero posted:

One thing that sticks out to me is Toalpaz's comment on how this was a good start for scum. I'm a little confused as to why. We lost a mason and a 3p survivor and that's it? I don't get the scum mindset for that comment, but I also don't get the town motivation.

If someone says something in a mafia game but no one flips them is it scummy or not scummy. :iiam: (For this I tried to mimic the saying: If a tree falls in the woods with no one around does it make a sound, but I feel it fell flat.)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

b-minus1 posted:

##vote ggn

I’m down with this I’m pretty sure.

##vote GGN

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

This isn’t bad, but I am kind of mehing in somber.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

merk posted:

This isn’t bad, but I am kind of mehing in somber.

don't disagree but feel a little weird about the GGN lunch too idk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandwolf posted:

don't disagree but feel a little weird about the GGN lunch too idk

My vote is based on gut from a single post.

I haven’t gone back to do the read I want yet.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
##vote random their posts are scummy af. Epic case I know

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Voodoofly posted:

##vote merk

Mostly gut, but the whole "I'm not in a persuasive mood" thing yesterday has stuck with me. I also think the way he rolled off DGK to IA to Mr. F was pretty scummy.

I've been thinking about it all day and I still like the gut vote, at least more than anything else at the moment. I thought I was going to vote somber but his posts feel honest right now, and why would he soft claim with no pressure day 1 when DGK claimed?

I've been sitting with it and I agree.

##vote merk

I would interpret it this way, it feels like we're in a losing pattern right now and merk is okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Somberbrero posted:

I've been sitting with it and I agree.

##vote merk

I would interpret it this way, it feels like we're in a losing pattern right now and merk is okay with that.

Hmmmmmm well, I'm not totally convinced of merk's towniness. But I'm still leaning more for people who are lurking harder.

With things going so slow today, I just got a vibe like scums are gonna be extra cautious about sticking their nose out and tipping the balance the wrong way.