Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

Actually it's that Heine isn't a main cast member.

agreed. now that his series is over, he should be able to travel and teach other characters how to be decent human beings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

You mean Heavy Object, right? Big Order was by the Future Diary guy - and yeah, that didn't live up to the earlier work's popularity either.
yes i meant heavy object.

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah it’s rare but I don’t know if I’d blame the authors, sometimes it that’s and sometimes it’s on the anime studios failing source material.
tbf in a lot of the cases the reason something is picked up for an anime is because its popular or well-regarded among LN enthusiasts and they want to push it to a broader audience. Meaning that if the author's other stuff didn't get an anime, but this one did, the one getting an adaptation first is probably their best or at least most marketable work. So it's pretty natural that their other stuff would be less popular, it's sort of an obvious cause-effect thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though with Accel World/SAO it was the former that got Reki's work to start getting adapted and if I'm reading things right it aired just one season before SAO, it just didn't blow up as hard.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
in say combatants' case it was written for narou and the author went back to it after konosuba was a success, notably

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I actually liked Heavy Object, it had a sort of Tom Clancy military thriller dad-lit feeling to it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Motto posted:

Though with Accel World/SAO it was the former that got Reki's work to start getting adapted and if I'm reading things right it aired just one season before SAO, it just didn't blow up as hard.

Honestly Accel World is probably better than SAO, but just doesn't have the escapism bait as thoroughly that was an important factor for SAO's success.

Though this is kind of a damned by faint praise situation. Accel World is still not great or anything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Accel World continued the author's interest in Virtual Reality and Augmented/Alternate Reality technology and gaming. So I found it super interesting in that regard, and bonus points in actually having a pudgy main character and honestly a more interesting depiction of human relationships.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/blueperiod_PR/status/1387058966463533063?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aw hell yeaaaaa art school anime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They should make an anime for that manga by the Kannou-sensei lady about the art student that fucks an art gallery owner

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
oooooooooooo

GorfZaplen posted:

They should make an anime for that manga by the Kannou-sensei lady about the art student that fucks an art gallery owner
The combined viewer rage when it gets to the presumed ending would power a thousand suns

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Unfortunately Kannou-Sensei has been on Hiatus since late 2019.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Production committees are cowards.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

when will someone adapt bonnouji

i dont care that it ended a decade ago

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

GorfZaplen posted:

:yeah:

Coaaab posted:

The combined viewer rage when it gets to the presumed ending would power a thousand suns

Also :yeah:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I liked the first three episodes of Higehiro, but it needs more Gotou. These characters are all being too refreshingly direct and honest with each other and she needs to balance that out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

I liked the first three episodes of Higehiro, but it needs more Gotou. These characters are all being too refreshingly direct and honest with each other and she needs to balance that out.

Good news!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Good news!

The bad news is that it eventually turns into a harem story with the high school girl, the coworker, the boss and an ex-girfriend competing for the main character

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tamba posted:

The bad news is that it eventually turns into a harem story with the high school girl, the coworker, the boss and an ex-girfriend competing for the main character

Wait, seriously?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Wait, seriously?

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
well that kinda sucks but i'm still willing to follow along for now. Mostly want to know more about main girl's past.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The 7th Guest posted:

when will someone adapt bonnouji

i dont care that it ended a decade ago
maybe some kind soul can adapt futari ashitamo even though it just ended

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tamba posted:

That's good news, actually.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

While I don't like the idea of him hooking up with the high school girl, I also don't like harem shows because they almost never resolve the relationships satisfactorily. So I'm torn.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i still wonder what is the point of contextless spoilers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

The whole context of the story is trying to steer away from dating the highschool girl isn't it?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

I still wonder what is the point of this post

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just saying something is a harem doesn't do much to explain the relationship dynamics, outside of "the girls are attracted to the guy"

carrying with it that he's usually not choosing a particular one, because that makes story material

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno seems like if it's a story that so far has been about the specific relationship between 2 people, implying that future developments turn multiple side characters into romantic interests as well could easily be something that someone reading the story who is invested in those characters doesn't want spoiled. At the very least, there is no harm in preferring caution where it might possibly be a grey area, it's not like spoiler tags hurt anyone, while misreading the significance of the information and not spoiler tagging could.

Like loving who cares if there's slightly more spoiler tags than necessary, especially if it's not even a story you personally are following

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

to clarify, my problem is that i find the spoiler so brief as to be useless to base a judgement on without more information, not that it was posted or tagged or anything like that. i feel like this is a decently common thing where people are curious about a future development in something and the answer someone offers basically amounts to yes/no. sometimes details or talking about the portrayal of it matter. :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay Childhood Friend would actually be an extremely good comedy OVA if it ended with the punchline of episode 4.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Sindai posted:

Okay Childhood Friend would actually be an extremely good comedy OVA if it ended with the punchline of episode 4.
I feel so blindsided by its pacing. When they were planning the revenge at the school festival I was expecting that to be the finale not the third episode, and they also had the childhood friend secret revealed the episode after it was introduced (maybe it's normal for things like to not drag on, but Quintuplets last season has conditioned me into expecting those reveals to take forever to actually happen).

You could cut out the post credits introduction of the presumable little sister character (urgh) and it would be a complete story.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Man gently caress you Reona.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

You could cut out the post credits introduction of the presumable little sister character (urgh) and it would be a complete story.

Many LNs are like this, where the first volume is a relatively complete story. The ones that sell are allowed to continue past that, everything else just never continues or gets killed off after another volume or two.
Also, there is a 99% chance that the new character is some kind of childhood friend as well.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 28, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tamba posted:

Many LNs are like this, where the first volume is a relatively complete story. The ones that sell are allowed to continue past that, everything else just never continues or gets killed off after another volume or two.
Also, there is a 99% chance that the new character is some kind of childhood friend as well.

The childhood friend can't lose if all of the love interests are childhood friends after all.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Super Cub is genuinely the highlight of my week

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Bullbar posted:

It's a great show, makes me want a super cub.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SpannerX posted:

It's a great show, makes me want a super cub.

I hear you can go anywhere on one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I find myself enjoying The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent more now that I realize what kind of show it is. It's a fantasy romance/otome setup where the main character wants to live an easy life, but also wants to be a good person. Also there are hot dudes around to smooch or not.

I was looking at it like a standard isekai and it is totally not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Bullbar posted:

Positively sublime.

"Take that."