Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"Glad you know because I'm not doing your job"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

klosterdev posted:

He copied the script from the internet without taking the time to understand exactly how it works before pushing it to prod.

This style of sysadmin work is distressingly common.

Especially when they run linux commands on Solaris or AIX and suddenly you have a server hostname of "-s"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

klosterdev posted:

"Glad you know because I'm not doing your job"

I will happily help anyone with a thing if they are open and upfront about not knowing about a thing.

But try to hide your lack of knowledge behind evasions and obfuscations and I will just as happily leave you to twist in the breeze.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

this conversation just happened, almost word for word.

- customer emails, ok if you've fixed your system and stop ddosing us, we'll unblock, go ahead and start up your system

- PS guy: jmjf, can you start the dev services

- Me: no, you can do it yourself, don't you know how to do it?

- PS: I do know, but I wanted to check how you do it

Working at an MSP and had a customer go to a different provider, so they rang me to get their info

*blah blah blah*
:kiddo: "Oh OK thanks for all that, so in theory, if you were migrating them to G-Suite how would you go about it?"
:rolleyes: "In theory I wouldn't......"
:kiddo: "OK, but just in theory how would do it? Do you know if you can sync to G-Suite from Exchange Online?"
:rolleyes: "........ Sure why not?"
:kiddo: "Yeah that's what I thought, but I can't fin....."
:rolleyes: "bye"

Was barely 3 months before they came crawling back paying me to unfuck it all.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cool cool, Teams is down worldwide

https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1386997012378308613

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mattfl posted:

Cool cool, Teams is down worldwide

Nice, maybe I won't get dragged into any unnecessary customer meetings that could be avoided if people would just write questions down.

(I will)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am chatting on Teams right now so maybe this is a thing that breaks new logins only (again)

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
If you were on before the outage, it didn't boot you - only affected new logins.

Didn't affect everyone the same way, either. Seemed to affect the desktop app, the web app, and the mobile app in completely random ways.

But its "fixed" now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
my ISP didn't process my credit card on file for autopay correctly. the autopay day was 10 days ago, and I got no notification it wasn't successful.

yesterday I get a text saying they haven't received my payment and to contact them! I see it, set it aside to do this week. Nothing else in the text other than "payment failed pls talk to us".

today, less than 24 hours later, with no warning, they cut my internet service. right in the middle of an important meeting.

I think this may have been the first time in years where I actually got truly pissed at someone over the phone. Beyond outrageous to silently fail autopay and then cutoff service with no warning.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Iron Rose posted:

my ISP didn't process my credit card on file for autopay correctly. the autopay day was 10 days ago, and I got no notification it wasn't successful.

yesterday I get a text saying they haven't received my payment and to contact them! I see it, set it aside to do this week. Nothing else in the text other than "payment failed pls talk to us".

today, less than 24 hours later, with no warning, they cut my internet service. right in the middle of an important meeting.

I think this may have been the first time in years where I actually got truly pissed at someone over the phone. Beyond outrageous to silently fail autopay and then cutoff service with no warning.

That sucks, especially the quick cutoff time. Do you have alternative providers you can go to?

Here the internet in my old place got cut after my landlord didn't pay for the internet for like 3 months.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I did a favor for the admin staff last Friday night and completed a project they had faffed around all week on before realizing it had to be done by end of week but we didn't have time and we have ~plans~

So I did it, no sweat.

Of course as a direct consequence of having done the thing, I'm now a mandatory attendee at the after action meeting which is occurring today at 2 hours before my usual 12 hour shift.

That'll learn me

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

My town's water department was on the way to cut our water off when we convinced them yes, we are on autopay, no we've never sent you a check, and yes, here are the statements where you drafted every single month for autopay.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I am chatting on Teams right now so maybe this is a thing that breaks new logins only (again)

The issue was on the webpage used to make ie/edge/chrome/safari on desktop connect into teams app/webclient meets. If you entered the meeting over ios/android (and then jump onto the standard client) you could sidestep the issue.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Set up a portable water hotspot, but don't expect more pressure than a squirrel peeing

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

I did a favor for the admin staff last Friday night and completed a project they had faffed around all week on before realizing it had to be done by end of week but we didn't have time and we have ~plans~

So I did it, no sweat.

Of course as a direct consequence of having done the thing, I'm now a mandatory attendee at the after action meeting which is occurring today at 2 hours before my usual 12 hour shift.

That'll learn me

Mandatory? More like a nice bag of "I don't think so, have a chat with HR about my shift plan if you don't like it".

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yeah, you have to be able to say no to that. "I can't attend at that time. I'm happy to attend if it's rescheduled to occur during my shift", friendly but firm manner, smile in the voice but not apologizing or prevaricating.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah, you have to be able to say no to that. "I can't attend at that time. I'm happy to attend if it's rescheduled to occur during my shift", friendly but firm manner, smile in the voice but not apologizing or prevaricating.

I'm way too stump broke for that lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did you , at least, get some good donuts or a cake, from the other team

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Zeno's Half-Assed Paradox: Ask them to do something, they half-rear end it, half is left to do. Ask again they quarter-rear end it, a quarter is left to do. Then eighth-rear end it, sixteenth-rear end it, and Zeno was right you never actually get there and they complain how long everything is taking

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Technically, if you half-rear end the job, then quarter rear end the job, you have 3/8 of the job left.

But then you half-assed the analogy, so I guess it works.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

Technically, if you half-rear end the job, then quarter rear end the job, you have 3/8 of the job left.

But then you half-assed the analogy, so I guess it works.

You should never manually type an analogy, just automate it so it's consistent each time.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

"Using a simple to make CSV, you can create all of your devices at once."

I'm sure it's a good idea in theory but I wasn't expecting it to launch a new loving process on the server for every single device at once causing the whole thing to lock up.

At least it created about 3 of the devices for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My work seem to be on some push to get people back in the office, possibly this is related to the C-levels being big micromanagers and no doubt getting very worried if they can't see people working.

They've sent a survey around and one of the questions related to people's opinions on getting those rapid tests done before being 'allowed' to come into the office. Am I going crazy or is the requirement to get a negative test result before doing a non-essential commute to an office to perform a role that has been done successfully from home for a year a pretty good indication that you're moving too quickly?

We're probably two months off the first vaccine dose reaching my age group, I can't see any justification for pushing for a return to office work at this stage, and I think I'm prepared to fight this one. I'd feel like an idiot if I just backed down on this and caught covid in the five weeks between being ordered back into the office and my vaccine appointment.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

My work seem to be on some push to get people back in the office, possibly this is related to the C-levels being big micromanagers and no doubt getting very worried if they can't see people working.

They've sent a survey around and one of the questions related to people's opinions on getting those rapid tests done before being 'allowed' to come into the office. Am I going crazy or is the requirement to get a negative test result before doing a non-essential commute to an office to perform a role that has been done successfully from home for a year a pretty good indication that you're moving too quickly?

We're probably two months off the first vaccine dose reaching my age group, I can't see any justification for pushing for a return to office work at this stage, and I think I'm prepared to fight this one. I'd feel like an idiot if I just backed down on this and caught covid in the five weeks between being ordered back into the office and my vaccine appointment.

Your workplace is insane to rely on anything but proof of vaccination to allow a return to the office, and even then if business can be done remotely, why return to the office at all?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're going to be in a situation where people are herded back into an office and then when they step out for lunch the deli staff will be masked up and you won't be allowed to sit indoors, it's like the definition of :tif:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

The new CDC guidelines is exactly the excuse everyone in power needs to return to overlording their fiefdoms

The interesting part is that you know there's going to be a subset of people who explicitly refuse to get the vaccine so they can keep wfhing.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I'm doing some home labbing while waiting to start :yotj: and setting up a Mercurial repository server on an AWS EC2 instance was a fair amount of swearing since I've literally never touched Linux before. But it is now running.

Except I can't push to it from the intended Mercurial client (TortoiseHg) since it requires SSL which I haven't setup at all. How much alcohol should I prepare in advance?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

klosterdev posted:

The new CDC guidelines is exactly the excuse everyone in power needs to return to overlording their fiefdoms

The interesting part is that you know there's going to be a subset of people who explicitly refuse to get the vaccine so they can keep wfhing.

I mean hear me out but have you thought about lying

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 29, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We had a survey sent out this week to all of the formerly in-office employees, and if you read between the lines it’s pretty clear that they want to kill off the building that we signed the lease for last year in March, let people be mostly remote, and go to hotdesking for anyone that does want to come in.

Regardless our tentative “return to office” date is august, but lol if you think that I’m going back in ever.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 29, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DelphiAegis posted:

So I'm doing some home labbing while waiting to start :yotj: and setting up a Mercurial repository server on an AWS EC2 instance was a fair amount of swearing since I've literally never touched Linux before. But it is now running.

Except I can't push to it from the intended Mercurial client (TortoiseHg) since it requires SSL which I haven't setup at all. How much alcohol should I prepare in advance?

If you can use LetsEncrypt, all you'll need is one celebratory "It works!" drink

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm thinking return to the office on Tuesdays, because we get breakfast at staff meetings. That and maybe a day when I absolutely have to touch some weird system nobody else can manage to fix. WFH is just too sweet.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
One of our sales people accidentally microwaved his Samsung Galaxy S10e. Apparently he was viewing a recipe on the doomed phone, and left it on the plate next to the food he was wanted to microwave. Or so he says.

The few seconds of exposure broke the wifi, camera, cell reception, microphone and speaker.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We're all getting brought back into the office purely because the CEO has to justify our office renovations and almost-openly wants butts in seats where they can be seen, even after everyone was happily working from home without issue for a year. Our COVID plan's borderline-idiotic, been violated multiple times already by office staff, and the plan is for everyone to start obeying it to the absolute letter to demonstrate how untenable it is with accumulated violations.

Bokito posted:

One of our sales people accidentally microwaved his Samsung Galaxy S10e. Apparently he was viewing a recipe on the doomed phone, and left it on the plate next to the food he was wanted to microwave. Or so he says.

The few seconds of exposure broke the wifi, camera, cell reception, microphone and speaker.

What I'm hearing is someone's bucking for a shiny new toy to wave around, and had to make the old one have an 'accident'. Give them a replacement S10e if you can, and see how they take it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if they just wanted an upgrade they’d have broken it and just given “it stopped working” as the story, not bothered to hype it up with the microwave stuff.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

I think if they just wanted an upgrade they’d have broken it and just given “it stopped working” as the story, not bothered to hype it up with the microwave stuff.

Maybe it's a new salesman

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

It's someone in Sales and they have a phone that is last year's model. It's not hard to guess why the phone had an "accident" from that. If it'd been a legitimate accident, they'd never admit to doing something as stupid as nuking it in a microwave.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's someone in Sales and they have a phone that is last year's model. It's not hard to guess why the phone had an "accident" from that. If it'd been a legitimate accident, they'd never admit to doing something as stupid as nuking it in a microwave.

I checked, they gave him a new Galaxy S20 FE... :eng99:

We will see how it lasts after the Galaxy S22 is released!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

If you can use LetsEncrypt, all you'll need is one celebratory "It works!" drink

Yeah, since this is just a home lab thing for a side project, once I got a domain registered, it really was that easy. I suppose I was expecting something far harder given stories I've read in this thread and others about certs. Is that because people do self-signed certs and are stupid and let them expire and such?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah, since this is just a home lab thing for a side project, once I got a domain registered, it really was that easy. I suppose I was expecting something far harder given stories I've read in this thread and others about certs. Is that because people do self-signed certs and are stupid and let them expire and such?

There are a bunch of use cases where lets encrypt isn’t practical or possible. Stuff like managing your own CA, or dealing with a 3rd party CA all have their own headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

LetsEncrypt owns

Old IT manager screwed up his certs on an internet-facing device by using it outside the declared scope and getting it revoked, and then another one he let expire and there was a lot of telling users they had to click "Continue anyway" in their browser.

The device had gotten LetsEncrypt support since the expiration happened, so I tried it out and setting it up was easy as setting the type of key and the length and that was it and its worked perfectly ever since.