Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

redeyes posted:

What the gently caress?! Head over to the Mech keyboard thread. Mac keyboards are trash! Do I even need to say this?! Split keyboards are also poo poo.. unless they are mechanical. This is nerd 101 for fucks sake.

Today's mech keyboards all pale compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnGbcM-H8c

Now that's a REAL keyboard! Not just little klacky keys, an entire machine using motors and pistons driving finely crafted rectangular dies through clean 50-lb paper with each finger stroke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's one well-tempered klavier

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Data Graham posted:

That's one well-tempered klavier

:golfclap:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Today's mech keyboards all pale compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnGbcM-H8c

Now that's a REAL keyboard! Not just little klacky keys, an entire machine using motors and pistons driving finely crafted rectangular dies through clean 50-lb paper with each finger stroke!

I have 4 IBM model Ms and 2 Unicomp Ms. AMA.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’ve had RSI issues over the years, and for a long time could only use keyboards like the Microsoft sculpt. Finally, after way too much trying different key switches and maximizing the ergonomics of my desk monitor height I’ve discovered that the one keyboard that’s mechanical that actually does work for me is any with cherry MX browns. The key switch which most keyboard enthusiasts Scoff at. So yeah, The hobby attracts a lot of weirdos. Similar to watch people, who think there really is a huge difference between a $10,000 Rolex and they are basically identical to a knock off for $500.

Truth of the matter is I’d say the best mass marketed keyboard that you can get for around $100 is the MX keys. They make a Mac version. The key travel is not gonna hurt your hands, it is more satisfying in my mind than a magic keyboard. It can work with a dongle, or with Bluetooth. Easy switching between three devices. I just wish they made a TKL version of it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

redeyes posted:

I have 4 IBM model Ms and 2 Unicomp Ms. AMA.

Are they currently in a cardboard box in your basement or your attic?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of want that puple iMac but need to see them in person

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I went through school exclusively using Macs (up through graduating law school). As a consequence I feel their style of keyboards are the "standard" for me and I am most comfortable pushing scissor keys as a consequence. I really don't like big keys and I loving hate mechanical keyboards, and everyone recommends them but they look terrible/garish and are usually loud and the keystrokes just don't "feel" right because my brain broke. I tried to use it and I really just hated it.

I have gone through so many keyboards trying to get a good one for my PC that does the following: looks/feels like a Mac keyboard, Windows key, backlit, wireless/wired, and has media control buttons.

For the media keys I usually download sharpkeys to have the default behavior for the Fn keys that I'm hoping for (I don't want to hold Fn + F11 or whatever to increase volume, I just want to press F11).

Out of the 8 keyboards I've purchased in the last 3 years, I bought 3 Matias brand keyboards, 2 of which 100% broke within a year of owning them and don't even power on or connect at all, or they drop connections constantly and need to be re-paired 1-3 times a week or so.

These are the Matias keyboards I bought:

https://matias.store/collections/scissor/products/fk418btlb
https://matias.store/collections/scissor/products/fk318pclbb
https://matias.store/collections/scissor/products/fk308pclbb

Do not buy Matias keyboards they have got the worst reliability of keyboards I've ever dealt with. Their price is absurd for what you get.

I also bought a series of cheap keyboards of Amazon that are sort of okay, and definitely last longer than the Matias ones but they all are missing one of the features I want or they have goofy poo poo like HUGE PRINTING on the letters. I also bought slim Logitech keyboards that are very.... "mushy". Apple makes really good keyboards, man.

Recently I bought 2 keyboards from Best Buy: A Compact Microsoft Designer Keyboard and a Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard. The designer keyboard is perfect and is the best mac keyboard-like keyboard for PC I have ever owned and I have gone through a shitload of these motherfuckers. It's the only one with a stable BT connection and that actually feels like a mac keyboard for PC.

I hope you enjoyed reading about me losing nearly $500 looking for a keyboard that reminds me of Mac keyboards because apparently only Apple and Microsoft make good keyboards for my stupid loving brain

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I own and love the Microsoft Modern Keyboard. It is almost literally the Apple Keyboard for Windows. It even has discount knockoff Touch ID that works 50% of the time (Windows Hello is very very stupid). It's well made, restrained and utilitarian in design, lovely to type on, and has some well chosen shortcut keys.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

jokes posted:

I have gone through so many keyboards trying to get a good one for my PC that does the following: looks/feels like a Mac keyboard, Windows key, backlit, wireless/wired, and has media control buttons.

If you want a wired+wireless keyboard that looks and feels exactly like a Mac keyboard but works cleanly on a Windows system then this is probably your best option:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english-silver

No backlight, unfortunately, but all the keys that aren't mapped to Apple-specific functions like Expose/Mission Control should work just fine. Command = winkey, option = alt, control = ctrl. Media keys do what's printed on them.

I wouldn't get the tenkeyless one, because ctrl-alt-del is occasionally important and you need to mess with custom layouts to get a delete key.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried the MX Keys?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

jokes posted:

I went through school exclusively using Macs (up through graduating law school). As a consequence I feel their style of keyboards are the "standard" for me and I am most comfortable pushing scissor keys as a consequence. I really don't like big keys and I loving hate mechanical keyboards, and everyone recommends them but they look terrible/garish and are usually loud and the keystrokes just don't "feel" right because my brain broke. I tried to use it and I really just hated it.

For the media keys I usually download sharpkeys to have the default behavior for the Fn keys that I'm hoping for (I don't want to hold Fn + F11 or whatever to increase volume, I just want to press F11).

Out of the 8 keyboards I've purchased in the last 3 years, I bought 3 Matias brand keyboards, 2 of which 100% broke within a year of owning them and don't even power on or connect at all, or they drop connections constantly and need to be re-paired 1-3 times a week or so.

These are the Matias keyboards I bought:

https://matias.store/collections/scissor/products/fk418btlb
https://matias.store/collections/scissor/products/fk318pclbb
https://matias.store/collections/scissor/products/fk308pclbb

Do not buy Matias keyboards they have got the worst reliability of keyboards I've ever dealt with. Their price is absurd for what you get.

I also bought a series of cheap keyboards of Amazon that are sort of okay, and definitely last longer than the Matias ones but they all are missing one of the features I want or they have goofy poo poo like HUGE PRINTING on the letters. I also bought slim Logitech keyboards that are very.... "mushy". Apple makes really good keyboards, man.

Recently I bought 2 keyboards from Best Buy: A Compact Microsoft Designer Keyboard and a Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard. The designer keyboard is perfect and is the best mac keyboard-like keyboard for PC I have ever owned and I have gone through a shitload of these motherfuckers. It's the only one with a stable BT connection and that actually feels like a mac keyboard for PC.

I hope you enjoyed reading about me losing nearly $500 looking for a keyboard that reminds me of Mac keyboards because apparently only Apple and Microsoft make good keyboards for my stupid loving brain

If you like the wired old apple keyboard from like 2007 ThRough 2016 you can still find them new inbox on eBay for about $80.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I feel like I have to mention this thing from Nuphy, which has low-profile mechanical switches and RGB while also still being relatively thin compared to most mechanical keyboards https://nuphy.com/products/nutype-f1

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jokes posted:

This is basically why I'm still using my old rear end Apple keyboards.

Space Gopher posted:

I wouldn't get the tenkeyless one, because ctrl-alt-del is occasionally important and you need to mess with custom layouts to get a delete key.
I wonder if fn+backspace (delete) works for ctrl-alt-delete in Windows...I want to say it does but haven't tried in forever.

frogbs posted:

I feel like I have to mention this thing from Nuphy, which has low-profile mechanical switches and RGB while also still being relatively thin compared to most mechanical keyboards https://nuphy.com/products/nutype-f1

I've been looking into making my own keyboard with the same switches...but don't want to go down that path of hell not knowing whether I'll really like them (...and possibly weird layout) or not. Might do an arrow+numpad thing as a smaller project first.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It appears I am doomed to spend another couple hundred on Apple Keyboard But Also Not

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I love the magic keyboard. I one on every machine I interact with. It’s really top notch.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Dreadwind posted:

My wife has a MacBook for work that's absolutely wrecking her when it comes to typing (carpal tunnel), I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for ergonomic split keyboards? I started looking online but the prices and styles are all over the place. She doesn't really have any preferences other than it can split and has lifters. Thanks!

I've got this thing https://kinesis-ergo.com/shop/freestyle2-mac/

Its pretty big and unwieldy but splits however you want and has lifters

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

frogbs posted:

I love these mechanical keyboards that don't include basic poo poo like a number pad, like what functionality gains am I getting here from switching to that?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm going to hopefully ask here because the ipad thread was murky- I'm going to try and upgrade my 2019 iPad Pro to the new M1 model next month. Does apple take trade-in units in the physical stores at all, or is it mail-in only? I want to go that route because I also have a pile of apple gift cards I want to put towards it at the same time, and handing over the ipad as I pick up the new one would make things a lot easier.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

italian quid posted:

I love these mechanical keyboards that don't include basic poo poo like a number pad, like what functionality gains am I getting here from switching to that?

I think you’re getting mechanical switches, which feel different than scissor or dome keyboards. Not everyone needs a numpad all the time (example, most laptops). Thankfully if you need a numpad there’s plenty of options out there too!

Also I would argue that among Mac users keyboards with number pads are probably less common than keyboards without them!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm going to hopefully ask here because the ipad thread was murky- I'm going to try and upgrade my 2019 iPad Pro to the new M1 model next month. Does apple take trade-in units in the physical stores at all, or is it mail-in only? I want to go that route because I also have a pile of apple gift cards I want to put towards it at the same time, and handing over the ipad as I pick up the new one would make things a lot easier.

I’m pretty sure a trade at the store is totally fine, though I’ve only done the mail-in trade.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Every time my dad whinges to me about something windows 10 did or some flaw of his crappy windows laptop I try and convince him that all his problems would go away if he just bought a goddamn MacBook already; and every time it's like slamming into a brick wall because he refuses to use a computer that doesn't have a numpad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Every time my dad whinges to me about something windows 10 did or some flaw of his crappy windows laptop I try and convince him that all his problems would go away if he just bought a goddamn MacBook already; and every time it's like slamming into a brick wall because he refuses to use a computer that doesn't have a numpad.

Is your dad my dad????

Thankfully I managed to get him on a MacBook though but he won’t stop bitching about that.

The way macOS handles Remote Desktop is light years better over what windows has I can say that much.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MarcusSA posted:

Is your dad my dad????

Thankfully I managed to get him on a MacBook though but he won’t stop bitching about that.

The way macOS handles Remote Desktop is light years better over what windows has I can say that much.

Also on my to do list:

finding a way to convince him that a 13" macbook screen is going to be far nicer to use than a lovely 1080p 15" screen because he just can't grasp how screen resolution works.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

italian quid posted:

It goes clicky clicky.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Posting on page 1394 :D

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Also on my to do list:

finding a way to convince him that a 13" macbook screen is going to be far nicer to use than a lovely 1080p 15" screen because he just can't grasp how screen resolution works.

Good luck mine had to get the 16 and he still complains that it’s not a 17.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

just buy him a bluetooth or usb numpad then

or the magic keyboard with numpad for use when at a desk

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

just buy him a bluetooth or usb numpad then

or the magic keyboard with numpad for use when at a desk

Yeah our dads won’t have that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah our dads won’t have that.

We basically forced better devicss on my FIL and he couldnt be happier in the end. It was a journey, tho.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

I love the magic keyboard. I one on every machine I interact with. It’s really top notch.
I'd probably get a new one if they fixed the arrow keys on the short one :argh:

italian quid posted:

Other than different noises you can do some custom layout and macro stuff I think, so you can kinda tailor it to your particular needs/preferences. I'd say small size but the Apple ones are already pretty small, and going any smaller I think you make sacrifices on layout. Like that one chopped off the function row/media keys and right shift makes room for the arrow keys (and short delete key for...some reason). There's ones that cut out waaay more, but generally afaik everything is accessible with different modifier keys. Think of the iOS/Android keyboards and how you switch the keyboard to get different punctuation, the really small keyboards are like a hardware version of that.

Oh and I guess lights :pcgaming:. And some have a speaker and can switch to a beep boop piano mode. And of course cosmetic mods like fancy rear end keycaps.

tl;dr it's still a keyboard. If you want a different or particular feel, they can give you that.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I wish they would have kept their old wired one's. Those are pretty awesome.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Before I could figure out that I actually could use a mechanical keyboard, (turns out cherry browns are the sweet spot and don’t hurt my hands) I knew only three keyboards worked. The Microsoft sculpt, the Logitech MX keys, and the Apple keyboards from that era. Both the old Bluetooth one that took actual AA batteries, and the wired one. I spent like $300 to grab 3 brand new in box wired ones last spring LOL. Now that I have the brown keyboard and it works, I’m happy with it for now but it’s nice to have back ups.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Couldn't you just leave the full size one plugged in all the time and pretend?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I really like the old apple keyboards that had alps switches.

I even like the "chicklet" version of the Apple extended keyboard II. Honestly just looking at it now I kind of prefer it.

I used to have a II GS laying around but I'm pretty sure my mom threw it away because it is not in her attic where I left it...

Something like a decade ago I found a keyboard made by Ducky that had green alps switches that were very similar in feel to the Orange alps switches used in the apple keyboard.

A quick search actually found the same model and it's still for sale! They also offer black alps switches but I have no idea what those are like... I'm assuming they are just a little bit "harder"?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=43

Anyways, someone dremeled down an old Apple extended Keyboard and made it compatible with USB.

In the world of Lord Nikon from Hackers (1995) "I want it's children".

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Couldn't you just leave the full size one plugged in all the time and pretend?

Magic keyboards changed the travel distance very slightly/size of keys. They are not bad (unlike the butterfly keys) but they aren't nearly as good as the older model. Weirdly enough, I think the magic keyboards on the new laptops are as good as the older laptops. But for an external board, the older ones I think feel just slightly better.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a Ducky One, a Magic Keyboard and the second-gen Apple Wireless Keyboard.

The Ducky feels nice to type on, but the experience of using it in MacOS is bad. It requires a lot of config to get it working properly, and really, new keycaps to label things as to what they do.
The Apple Wireless switches are OK, but it lacks a numpad ( i like them, just for work ) and has really bad arrows.

The Magic Keyboard feels good, works flawlessly in MacOS, has a mega battery, proper arrow keys and a numpad. It. Just. Works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Before I could figure out that I actually could use a mechanical keyboard, (turns out cherry browns are the sweet spot and don’t hurt my hands) I knew only three keyboards worked. The Microsoft sculpt, the Logitech MX keys, and the Apple keyboards from that era. Both the old Bluetooth one that took actual AA batteries, and the wired one. I spent like $300 to grab 3 brand new in box wired ones last spring LOL. Now that I have the brown keyboard and it works, I’m happy with it for now but it’s nice to have back ups.
:stare:

I have the short and long wired ones, and the AA battery Bluetooth one (that I got for like $45 lightly used on Craigslist). And a few other cheap Logitech and MS ones that were...serviceable. One of each were for my HTPC at the time, with short keyboard + trackpad. The MS one was special, I forget exactly but I think keyboard input blocked the trackpad (and/or the other way around), with a noticeable timeout before it'd allow input again.

One thing with the full length Apple ones is their numpad layout, instead of the usual double height plus key it's normal height, and have an equal key fit in the extra space. Not a huge deal but it's nice for doing simple formulas while doing number entry. There's some newer Bluetooth number pads that have the layout...but the one I tried was useless cause the range (2018 Mac mini Bluetooth :argh:) and had no wired fallback.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

iMac preorders are up. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise but I think it's outrageous that they are charging an extra $200 for 8 gigs of RAM. And $200 for another 256gig SSD space. $200 should get you a 2TB nvme drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

$200 doesn't even get you a 2TB NVMe drive on a PC at the moment, I don't know why you'd expect it from a Mac.