Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My wife has never seen The Shield so we're watching that - it's my 2nd time. The things that stick out immediately are

Holy poo poo I forgot Ronnie existed
Dutch is the best
Claudette is also the best
Michael Chiklis was born for the role of Vic and is just outstanding
The big moments are really great, but some of the dialogue and editing are really bad
The theme is very jarring I hate it

I've forgotten a lot but I'm looking forward to seeing my wife's reaction to stuff I remember vividly like Lem and the grenade, Aceveda's rape scene, and of course the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

isaboo posted:

My wife has never seen The Shield so we're watching that - it's my 2nd time. The things that stick out immediately are

Holy poo poo I forgot Ronnie existed
Dutch is the best
Claudette is also the best
Michael Chiklis was born for the role of Vic and is just outstanding
The big moments are really great, but some of the dialogue and editing are really bad
The theme is very jarring I hate it

I've forgotten a lot but I'm looking forward to seeing my wife's reaction to stuff I remember vividly like Lem and the grenade, Aceveda's rape scene, and of course the ending

Don’t forget an entire season of last time on’s where you get to see the same guy saying “When they find the body with bullets (pause) from your two gats. Like every god drat episode, I swear. I think it even made it into the recap reel in later seasons. It drove me nuts when I was binging through it in college.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The main issue I'm having with "The Nevers" is there's so many goddamn characters. I mean, I like to think I'm not turning into a TV watcher that can't follow a plot, but there's just so much going on and so little is explained.

I mean, I had completely forgotten about machine arm gun guy from episode 1 and I was confused as to why this guy in jail had bullets dripping out of his arm.

It's kinda exhausting to watch.

Water fight was cool though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“They made you... SUCK?” was a fun one to hear over and over on the previously-ons for the Shield.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

“They made you... SUCK?” was a fun one to hear over and over on the previously-ons for the Shield.

I want to edit all the previously-ons from each episode together in a row and see just how intensely repetitive it would be.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I want to edit all the previously-ons from each episode together in a row and see just how intensely repetitive it would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2aINQduzqM

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

muscles like this! posted:

This week's Debris is the most Fringe-y its ever been. The episode involved alternate realities which lead to a fun montage of Bryan with a succession of different partners and the person who found the debris of the week noping out every time he saw that Finola wasn't there.

Very fringe-y with the older scientist and all, I think the show is improving though it is obviously not at the level of even Fringe season 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And thus we welcome back the return of The Handmaids Tale, a show that continues to ask the question: when will one of these utterly horrible bastards finally do the honourable thing and die?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1387391483767136261

The creator of "If Maxim Magazine was a TV show" doesn't feel like it's getting the appreciation it deserves

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oasx posted:

Very fringe-y with the older scientist and all, I think the show is improving though it is obviously not at the level of even Fringe season 1.

I think the thing currently holding it back is that the main characters are fairly dry. It could definitely use some bigger personalities.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Debris is okay and this week’s episode was good, but it’s not quite where it needs to be.

Right now it has the feeling of a promising show that gets cancelled in the first season because they were too timid with the plot progression.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

The creator of "If Maxim Magazine was a TV show" doesn't feel like it's getting the appreciation it deserves

Yeah well I resent the money I spent on the DVDs back in like 2010 so I guess everyone has regrets.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

nunsexmonkrock posted:

We found a show on netflix called "Crazyhead". I normally skip over stuff with stupid names like that, but man I am glad I didn't. It's funny as gently caress. Im on like the third episode and still laughing my rear end off. Do I still have an rear end? I think it ran off.

I just started this and ten minutes in it's done two things that get it a black mark for me:

1) Starts with someone capturing, tying up, squatting over and pissing on her best friend -record scratch betcha wondering how I got here... Three Days Earlier. Now we can start at the beginning. Like, it's not the pissing thing - that was funny - just start at the damned beginning of your story.
2) Use of the extremely original choice of soundtrack Where is My Mind. I ranted a bit about that recently so enough said.

I'll keep watching because I can't judge something off of ten minutes. Not a great start though.

E: The awkward bedroom scene in the second episode was pretty hilarious.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 28, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Entourage was quite fun when it was the show that made you think 'oh wow I wonder what it would be like if one of my friends became mega famous and we got to live that life with him', then at some point the storylines turned into Turtle, friend of Vince the bad actor who had in about 5 years had made like 2 films and one of them was a bomb, had to decide which sports car he got for his birthday was his favorite. Relatable!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It peaked when two of the characters crossed swords. After that it was all downhill from there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1387044338895495172

Wow what a disgusting dog, good thing they cast the kid from Cobra Kai who's so unnaturally handsome that it loops back around to grotesquery.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1387044338895495172

Wow what a disgusting dog, good thing they cast the kid from Cobra Kai who's so unnaturally handsome that it loops back around to grotesquery.

So it's a faithful remake then. As we all know, glasses and straight hair make even supermodel actors catastrophically ugly.

Also fucks sake google, i read that post and go type 'shes' and guess what comes up first? Tracer Tong was right.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Lol get hosed, that guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seriously that kid looks like if Shawn from Boy Meets World got the Handsome Squidward surgery

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Seriously that kid looks like if Shawn from Boy Meets World got the Handsome Squidward surgery

God drat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The second episode of Mare of Easttown was excellent. This is a really good show, and it isn’t even based on a book or anything

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1387451712584052738

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

6 second video? I refuse to even click that bullshit. Ain't nobody got time for 6 seconds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

6 second video? I refuse to even click that bullshit. Ain't nobody got time for 6 seconds.

Your poor wife.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mu Zeta posted:

You know nothing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

It's been 10+ years since I read any of the books... but that is not how I envisioned Lan. That said, my mind is open and I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Also, way to have the same one-liners as one of the biggest Fantasy shows ever.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hughmoris posted:

It's been 10+ years since I read any of the books... but that is not how I envisioned Lan. That said, my mind is open and I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Lan is described in a way that's a mix of the classic "sword saint" style of samurai and a medieval knight so it tracks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching ep3 of Gangs of London and noticed in the credits that while the episode is directed by a different person the action scenes are specifically credited as directed by Gareth Evans.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was watching ep3 of Gangs of London and noticed in the credits that while the episode is directed by a different person the action scenes are specifically credited as directed by Gareth Evans.

I read this as Garth Marenghi for a second.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hughmoris posted:

I always pictured him as being much more huge, maybe from the cheesy book jacket art(?), but I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything he's been in, but I'm sure someone here watched Criminal Minds at least and can tell us if he's any good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Famously PC network HBO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Pretty sure they're just ditching physical character descriptions to go with a more diverse cast.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Pretty sure they're just ditching physical character descriptions to go with a more diverse cast.

I'm squinting at the cover of Eye of the World and I think the artist was going for Lan being Asian there too though. Are we sure he isn't described that way?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

I'm squinting at the cover of Eye of the World and I think the artist was going for Lan being Asian there too though. Are we sure he isn't described that way?

Not really no, but he isn't described not that way either. Culturally it isn't a huge stretch, but I don't think it's ever really said, and the only obviously described as Asian peoples i can remember in those novels are the seanchan, and Sanderson says they're a mixture of Japan and Texas, and him and Jordan's wife would be the only one who know for sure i guess. So basically sure maybe why not. Pay more attention to the braid tugging, as the author intended.

That said, i still think he was much larger and much older.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Simone Magus posted:

This is pretty much as good as you get

quote:

As she left, a tall man Rand had not noticed before moved away from the front of the inn and followed her, one hand resting on the long hilt of a sword. His clothes were a dark grayish green that would have faded into leaf or shadow, and his cloak swirled through shades of gray and green and brown as it shifted in the wind. It almost seemed to disappear at times, that cloak, fading into whatever lay beyond it. His hair was long, and gray at the temples, held back from his face by a narrow leather headband. That face was made from stony planes and angles, weathered but unlined despite the gray in his hair. When he moved, Rand could think of nothing but a wolf.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm fine with Asian Lan it was either this or get Jorah from GoT to do it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Escobarbarian posted:

The second episode of Mare of Easttown was excellent. This is a really good show, and it isn’t even based on a book or anything

I just watched this and yes it is pretty dang good

e: I hadn't heard of the show before your post so thanks :v:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 29, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I pretty much pictured the border landers as a cross between mongolian hordes and medieval knights anyway

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Bird Girl is seriously loving sick, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

Funny you mention the covers because back in the day they were pretty infamous in the fandom as being completely inaccurate to the books. I don't recall how long it goes on but there was a thing where the cover artist kept drawing a character that doesn't exist.