Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the last time I saw someone in the wild who was openly still pining for Firefly to come back was 2013, which seems like a very long time to hang onto some false hope like that. Like I can understand like 2 or 3 years, but once you hit the decade mark, it's just plain sad.

Imagine people today in the Year of our Lord 2021 clamoring for more Terra Nova, which was also a sci fi show on Fox with one season ten years ago, in such numbers that you could stumble into them in casual conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Imagine people today in the Year of our Lord 2021 clamoring for more Terra Nova, which was also a sci fi show on Fox with one season ten years ago, in such numbers that you could stumble into them in casual conversation.

I think the key difference is that Terra Nova was basically an Avatar ripoff, so in a way we actually are getting more Terra Nova, unlike Firefly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It had a reputation for being a show that was unfairly treated by fox, so much so that it became a kind of shorthand for the phenomenon of shows being dumped into bad timeslots and left to die. I think more people took it up as a banner for the larger practice of networks killing shows through neglect than liked it just on the quality of the show itself.

Of course, a lot of that has now fallen away because Firefly did get another chance as a movie (that failed) and fox made a very visible effort to support niche science fiction for a while, like with the multiseason guarantee they gave Fringe and arguably through the choice to give it a fourth season, along with giving a second season to the Sarah Connor Chronicles and probably some other shows. Ultimately, networks just stopped filling the Friday-night death slot with any kind of drama. And of course live first-run broadcast for network tv is kind of dead now anyway, or soon will be.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For a show about dinosaurs, Terra Nova was boring as hell

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I am still waiting for more Space: Above and Beyond.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah it was incredibly dull

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MH Knights posted:

I was going to post this before I saw your post so just pretend I empty quoted. That show ruled.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i never watched it on syfy so im part of the problem but they did sliders dirty

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It had a reputation for being a show that was unfairly treated by fox, so much so that it became a kind of shorthand for the phenomenon of shows being dumped into bad timeslots and left to die.

I feel like Family Guy was that show, and its successful revival gave Firefly fans a model to go by and hope to keep clinging on so long.

And Space Above and Beyond ruled.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The independent theatre in my hometown would show Firefly episodes. They’d also do a sing-a-long of that Buffy episode thats a musical I guess. That was several years ago though. I never went of course.

I went and saw that Sherlock Christmas special in a theater for something to do. Which was about the time so started to realize how much I hated the show.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MH Knights posted:

I'm holding out for an Earth 3 myself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

The independent theatre in my hometown would show Firefly episodes. They’d also do a sing-a-long of that Buffy episode thats a musical I guess. That was several years ago though. I never went of course.

I went and saw that Sherlock Christmas special in a theater for something to do. Which was about the time so started to realize how much I hated the show.

I feel like that was an astroturf attempt to recapture the lightening in a bottle that was the Rocky Horror Picture Show showings that were everywhere in the 80's and 90's. I seem to recall hearing that there were a few places that did that with that particular Buffy episode in I think the mid-00's

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm holding out for an Earth 3 myself.

:hmmyes:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dinosaurs! posted:

I feel like Family Guy was that show, and its successful revival gave Firefly fans a model to go by and hope to keep clinging on so long.

And Space Above and Beyond ruled.

If I could rewrite history I think I'd rather Firefly have been picked back up for a second chance over Family Guy, honestly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vandar posted:

If I could rewrite history I think I'd rather Firefly have been picked back up for a second chance over Family Guy, honestly.

But then we wouldn't have the Orville

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Firefly reboot but Seth MacFarlane makes it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Family Guy reboot, but Joss Whedon is eaten by lions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

Madness. Firefly is remembered fondly mainly because it ended before it could overstay it's welcome

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Firefly reboot but Seth MacFarlane makes it.

I feel like that's an unironic upgrade so why not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The two one-season sci-fi shows I loved as a kid were Invasion and Surface. Really creepy, at least to kid me, and clearly setting up for longer stories, but both canceled.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

The two one-season sci-fi shows I loved as a kid were Invasion and Surface. Really creepy, at least to kid me, and clearly setting up for longer stories, but both canceled.

I started The River but got distracted by life and then it got cancelled so I never bothered to finish it

There was another that was about all of earth blacking out at the same time and WHAT HAPPENED?!

Personally I still miss Reaper

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Len posted:

There was another that was about all of earth blacking out at the same time and WHAT HAPPENED?!

Depending on how you interpret "all" in that sentence, you could be talking about either FlashForward or Revolution.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

It had to juggle dinosaurs, family drama, sci-fi dystopia, and mysteries.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MH Knights posted:

I feel like out of all those cancelled shows, SAAB really ended with a cliffhanger that functioned well as a finale too. Almost everyone dies, and we find out that Earth was the aggressor, so they all deserve it really.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doggles posted:

Depending on how you interpret "all" in that sentence, you could be talking about either FlashForward or Revolution.

Flashforward. I remember it had an asian lead that i thought was daniel dae kim but that was the andromeda strain miniseries

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I suddenly remember Helix and Prey, two shows about a newly-discovered human species. Did either finish properly?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I suddenly remember Helix and Prey, two shows about a newly-discovered human species. Did either finish properly?

Helix did not. It got SUPER weird in season 2 with secret cult island a split storyline taking place in the present and like 70 years into the future (which was fine because half the cast were immortal.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Helix did not. It got SUPER weird in season 2 with secret cult island a split storyline taking place in the present and like 70 years into the future (which was fine because half the cast were immortal.)

I remember Helix was heavily promoted as Ronald D. Moore's return to Syfy, but then he seemingly didn't have any actual involvement with the show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The funniest cancellation was 'Residue,' a netflix series that had a three episode first season. The issue was that those three episodes had as much plot as a single pilot episode, so we finally finish the fairly intriguing and dramatic set up and the season ends before anything can happen. I wonder if it had some weird behind the scenes stuff, like it was originally just a pilot but it got stretched or something.

Genuinely interesting set up and I do want to know what would have happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of TV shows are bad with presenting a famous director as being behind the show when they barely do anything, see also pretty much any TV series Spielberg has been involved with.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

From the mind of a guy who knew a guy who paid a bunch of money got the rights to say Quentin Tarantino!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of TV shows are bad with presenting a famous director as being behind the show when they barely do anything, see also pretty much any TV series Spielberg has been involved with.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im surprised Ready Player One didn't declare it the greatest game of the 2000s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It had to juggle dinosaurs, family drama, sci-fi dystopia, and mysteries.

I watched all the way through the first season of Terra Nova because I'm a completist idiot and it really felt like they started loving with the audience at the end because they knew they weren't going to be renewed . "Oh look here's a 18th century sailing ship back in dinosaur times, that's right we were going to do dinosaurs versus pirates but now you don't get to see it, gently caress you and goodbye"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

im surprised Ready Player One didn't declare it the greatest game of the 2000s

Funny enough, at least in the book, one of the very very few post-1980s thing that gets referenced in Ready Player One is Firefly. The main character's ship he uses in the VR world is the Firefly ship.

I also think it's funny that there's a point where they specify there are only six Star Wars movies, but a ton of Indiana Jones sequels.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember Helix was heavily promoted as Ronald D. Moore's return to Syfy, but then he seemingly didn't have any actual involvement with the show.

The secret to telling how much influence he had is whether or not it devolved into onanistic theological bollocks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cael posted:

From the mind of a guy who knew a guy who paid a bunch of money got the rights to say Quentin Tarantino!
How about a movie that is an original idea

With an unknown director

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I watched all the way through the first season of Terra Nova because I'm a completist idiot and it really felt like they started loving with the audience at the end because they knew they weren't going to be renewed . "Oh look here's a 18th century sailing ship back in dinosaur times, that's right we were going to do dinosaurs versus pirates but now you don't get to see it, gently caress you and goodbye"

Just play Smash Up.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The 10 years anniversary of Terriers cancellation passed last year and meeting other people remembering Terriers (mainly people who read Sepinwall and av club back then, you know) is a joy

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 29, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Boom Blox was pretty great though, and Spielberg usually gets involved with games he gets attached to. Too bad his alien action game got cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Len posted:

It was because HE WAS LOADED! OKAY!?!?