Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ccs posted:

Immortal was so desperate to conceal that he was immortal that he let Reconstruction get hosed up during his successor's term instead of just acting like the bullet had missed a vital area haha.

Either that or his body takes a really long time to actually come back to life after one of his deaths. I don't remember if the comic ever explains how his powers work. It's more just a gag that he's got similar facial hair to Lincoln.

Even if Lincoln was an immortal, state of the art treatment he got after getting shot probably would have hosed any regeneration below Wolverine levels up pretty bad.

Just got that brain regenerating, and now some doctor is sticking their filthy loving fingers into the skull hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aces High posted:

Just started reading the comic to see what things were like in grand ol' 2003 and I gotta day I actually like a lot of the changes to the supporting characters (though I'm only on issue 10) since they feel more like actual people instead of just silhouettes that are there for the main characters to sound off on every so often.

Perhaps the not-Justice League gets more coverage in flashbacks but boy at least in the show they are present before just getting merced by Omniman. Certainly a fun read so far but, much like The Boys, the show has filled out the world a lot better and (so far) is looking to surpass the comic in a lot of ways.

Also, I am glad that there isn't a lot of edgy poo poo that turns me away from the comic, as opposed to The Boys

Yeah, really the only oof thing is that they describe things as "gay", but that was extremely common in that era. For the show they just made William gay, problem solved.

As far as Immortal stuff, the show montage is almost exactly how they did it in the comic (Nothing spoiilery there at all but out of an abundance of caution I'm linking it)

That's also exactly how Vandal Savage got his powers, in the show it's a bit more clear that he's interacting with some weird meteor. Why he got some Superman powers was probably a function of having someone that could go toe-to-toe with Omniman.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 27, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ccs posted:

Immortal was so desperate to conceal that he was immortal that he let Reconstruction get hosed up during his successor's term instead of just acting like the bullet had missed a vital area haha.

Either that or his body takes a really long time to actually come back to life after one of his deaths. I don't remember if the comic ever explains how his powers work. It's more just a gag that he's got similar facial hair to Lincoln.

It makes sense to me, if he just easily regenerated right away then the whole "Cecil is an idiot" thing wouldn't have been a problem. Otherwise he'd already be back up on his own. So it seems like if you kill him then he stays dead for a little while and someone needs to like, put your head back on or whatever, and then after a bit he'll regenerate.

So the way I see it is he was assassinated, everybody said "oh my god Lincoln is dead", they had a funeral for him, and then he rez'd in the coffin and busted out of his grave. At which point he can't very well go "Actually I'm fine, it was just a headache" so he has to assume a new identity.

But yeah its a great goof and I hope they never explain more.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Casnorf posted:

Just couldn't let go of the beard, eh?

He isn't Immortal. The Beard is Immortal. Guy's just along for the ride.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah, really the only oof thing is that they describe things as "gay", but that was extremely common in that era. For the show they just made William gay, problem solved.

Nah. William is just in the closet (or just being in denial) for much of the comics and that is a running joke. He does eventually come out.

They just started with him being super ok being gay in the show, as that is the times we live in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tequila25 posted:

Apocalypse is probably the closest Marvel analog, being possibly the first mutant human and thousands of years old, but he is asleep for a lot of it.

Selene beats Apocolypse by close to 15,000 years, she was a contemporary of Conan the Barbarian. But no one has really cared about her in 15+ years.

This has pretty much taken the Marvel place as the dude that occasionally descends to Earth to play hero and party every few centuries.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Collateral posted:

Nah. William is just in the closet (or just being in denial) for much of the comics and that is a running joke. He does eventually come out.

They just started with him being super ok being gay in the show, as that is the times we live in.

There is no such running joke; the running joke was that everyone who can't fly keeps asking a flying hero to take them flying and each time one does it's drawn with the exact same shot with one or both of them saying "this is really gay".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Argue posted:

There is no such running joke; the running joke was that everyone who can't fly keeps asking a flying hero to take them flying and each time one does it's drawn with the exact same shot with one or both of them saying "this is really gay".

Yup, that sounds like an edgy early 2000s comic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
caught up with the show and started reading the comic but jesus christ every character is worse some way or another

the comic is terrible, drawn out and all over the place. just gotta drop it and hope the show keeps doing a better job.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 28, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait a minute...

if Immortal was supposed to be lincoln, how'd he get taken out by a bullet yet can go toe to toe with someone like omni-man?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

wait a minute...

if Immortal was supposed to be lincoln, how'd he get taken out by a bullet yet can go toe to toe with someone like omni-man?

He was smirking in the flashback so maybe he faked his death because he thought becoming a martyr would be best? Especially since someone would notice such a public figure not aging eventually I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Argue posted:

I only ever read the first dozen or two issues shortly after it started, but I remember loving those panels just because the character being carried looked so happy and the character flying looked so bored and/or annoyed. Which is a fun contrast. I don't even remember them saying anything beyond generic noises of joy like "wooo!" or something. The wording might have been dumb in retrospect, but the basic gist of the joke is still good.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Argue posted:

No, they only say that twice and only with william. Everybody else complains that being flown held under their arms is uncomfortable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Jackard posted:

caught up with the show and started reading the comic but jesus christ every character is worse some way or another

the comic is terrible, drawn out and all over the place. just gotta drop it and hope the show keeps doing a better job.

The all over the place thing is a feature of Invincible, it's trying to cover every possible comics plot in one series.

A lot of the characters have been improved in the show though. Definitely updating things to modern times and sensibilities.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

wait a minute...

I think you mean how much more powerful would Omniman be if he had a gun? Or two guns?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

You'd think the guy who expertly went toe to toe with slavery and won would err on the side of strategy and patience when trying to take on Omni-man a second time.

Or maybe he just has a secret bifurcation fetish who knows.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Maybe it's like the Lazarus pit and you go insane for a while after you come back. He seemed to go from asleep to 100% turbo ragemode Lincoln in no time at all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Now I wish there was an Immortal prequel.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Maybe it's like the Lazarus pit and you go insane for a while after you come back. He seemed to go from asleep to 100% turbo ragemode Lincoln in no time at all.

turbo ragemode Lincoln is a good username.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phenotype posted:

Maybe he was Boston Corbett too, and shot Booth as revenge for shooting him. Also because, and I just learned this reading up on Booth's death on Wikipedia, he was apparently a racist dickhole who shot Lincoln for going to war against the South since he viewed slavery and secession as not just right, but divinely ordained. I presume they teach that in school in America, but I'm not American so it was news to me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phenotype posted:

He's the settings Superman, of course he's going to go all destruscto when he wakes up from death.

Vvvv No? Unless you mean like a spoiler from when Superman came back from the dead and got a little aggro. I only spoiled it because the incident was spoiled upthread and I'm never sure on spoiler rules for weekly streaming shows.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 28, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did you just post comic spoilers in the show only thread

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I'm really glad I powered through. On the first page someone mentioned the tone being hard to pin down... who was the audience? It felt like it was aimed at tweens who watch Saturday morning cartoons, but with hyperviolence. A lot of tropes about a teenager coming of age story and the way they parodied their influences (Batman, wonder woman, justice league, etc) were played completely straight and without a hint of irony.

But I think my moment of "oh ok, this is interesting. I'm engaged" was when it started becoming clear that these characters aren't invincible. Even the titular character and Omni-Man struggle to take down "lesser" foes. And the rest of the cast, there's no one weird trick to take them down. Just punch them hard enough and they turn into red mist just like anyone else.

In my heart I'm hoping that there's more to the Omni-Man big secret "I was sent here to conquer the planet not protect it" all along like we're assuming. The show isn't even being subtle about it. So I'm hoping the writers don't go for the low hanging fruit but I wouldn't put money on them surprising me.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Phenotype posted:

I think it's more that from the Immortal's perspective, he just got his head chopped off by omni-man seconds ago. For him it was just one continuous fight

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea the whole thing had "You loving rear end in a top hat, you killed my friends and me, you betrayed everything you claimed to stand for, I'm gonna tear you apart!!!!" energy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's the settings Superman, of course he's going to go all destruscto when he wakes up from death.

Vvvv No? Unless you mean like a spoiler from when Superman came back from the dead and got a little aggro. I only spoiled it because the incident was spoiled upthread and I'm never sure on spoiler rules for weekly streaming shows.

You didn't do anything wrong re: spoilers.

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

People generally spoiler stuff from episodes for a day or two after they are released just to be polite, but they don't have to.

gently caress I can't wait for the finale tomorrow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the normal rule for streaming shows 3 days to give people time to watch it over the weekend?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Counterpoint, why are you reading the thread if you haven't watched the episode

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dignity Van Houten posted:

In my heart I'm hoping that there's more to the Omni-Man big secret "I was sent here to conquer the planet not protect it" all along like we're assuming. The show isn't even being subtle about it. So I'm hoping the writers don't go for the low hanging fruit but I wouldn't put money on them surprising me.

The actual secret is that he was passing through the space neighborhood watching some Earth broadcasts, since the Mars ones suck and his ship was out of range of the Alpha Centarai station, and he saw one of Debbie's real estate commercials. So he came to Earth for that hot realtor action, and made a life. All the killing and everything is actually just his awkward alien attempt to drum up some extra business for her.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Azhais posted:

So you can cry about getting something spoiled for you

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

omniman is clearly the superman of the setting so i assumed you were talking about something that hasnt been revealed in the show yet

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm not sure exactly what else it could be, though. Maybe they also want to use us as breeding stock now that they know they can produce superpowered offspring like Mark with human partners? I know (minor real-world meta spoiler)the comic ran for a long time, and I'm not sure how long they could possibly keep the current storyline running -- it feels like Mark is gonna side with his dad or more likely reject him, and then Nolan comes back with an armada or something within another season or two. They could do the thing where Nolan has to switch sides because he loves Mark and his wife too much to conquer the Earth and kill everyone, but holy poo poo Nolan's racked up a ton of gory murders and unrepentant bad guy scenes to just go back and say "sorry, changed my mind, we're all buds again."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They already have the "I tortured and murdered college students to make robots" guy on the payroll. No reason they couldn't pull an "Aw, I just can't stay mad at you" with Nolan

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

Yea, that's my feeling on it. But some people just wanna talk about the show even if they're not caught up. Which is strange to me, especially if its a big serialized show. Imagine going into the Expanse Thread or the Mandolorian threads after watching one episode and seeing that this main character ends up dying because you just can't wait to kramer into the thread and say "wow this is cool!". If you're desprate to share your thoughts as you watch, start a blindwatch thread or something.

boz posted:

So you can cry about getting something spoiled for you

I've seen way too many spoiler babies on here and online in general. Weekly trailers for shows, yea I can totally see people being upset about people talking about them, BUT trailers for the series before it starts or for a movie, you know things, big companies put out to get you to watch their product, yea i don't get why people get so bent out of shape you saw Doop in the new X-men trailer. I've encountered people that don't even want to know cast lists, or hear reviews, they want to go in as blind as possible. Reminds me of Community where Abed was waiting until some Game of Throne Analog finished to watch the whole thing and got mad every time someone tried to talk about the stuff that had been aired and at the end they get Brie Larsen to spoil the whole series for him. I have met people like that, I know someone right now who refuses to watch the Mandolorian until its all done, and doesn't want anyone talked about it and literally got banned from facebook for yelling at people posting Baby Yoda memes because they were spoiling the series for him. Dude, its one of the most popular things right now, you don't get to tell people they can't talk about it because you have some weird idea of watching the whole series that's still coming out. Its different if you discovered an older series and just watching it now, like say Battlestar Galactica. If someone says they're watching it for the first time you're a real rear end in a top hat if you pop in and say "Boomer is a Cylon", but if people are still talking about it, thats on you to catch up.

When its something like Invincible which already has finished in one medium, its a good idea not to just go spoiling it for people who are just watching the show. I remember Game of Thrones Bookreaders being real assholes and dropping spoilers as speculations; "Wow i hope Ned doesn't get executed for doing the right thing at the end of the first season!". Making this a spoiler free thread means people are hopefully not going to do that. Expanse Book Readers have been good in that thread, only mentioning differences between book and show, like this character dies a different way, this one is not in this part in the book, etc.

But I guess Invincible has changed up enough stuff to not be a 1:1 translation?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

But I guess Invincible has changed up enough stuff to not be a 1:1 translation?

So far they've mostly switched ordering around so the omni man reveal could be the finale. Basically none of the stuff that happened in the last episode (no orbital lasers, no attack by rob zombies, no teleporting kaiju around) was in the comics because there wasn't any drama and investigation around the guardian's deaths. They died, there was a funeral, the twins dug up immortal the same day, he woke up and went after Nolan. The immortal/omni fight occurred in the middle of town with reporters, civilians, and invincible watching so the whole "why did you kill them" bit was broadcast to everyone. This all happened by like issue 8.

The college stuff happened much later, the demon investigator was more of a joke (he shows up like 30 issues later and proudly declares that he's solved the murders), so really they've just changed things to keep with tv cliffhangers and accelerate some of the background characters story arcs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I agree, It seems too obviously where things are going so I'd prefer some curveball of some sort. Of course, this all went down different in the comics, which also were received different years ago, so the idea of "its too obvious" may not have really applied to the original story.

Phenotype posted:

I'm not sure exactly what else it could be, though. Maybe they also want to use us as breeding stock now that they know they can produce superpowered offspring like Mark with human partners? I know (minor real-world meta spoiler)the comic ran for a long time, and I'm not sure how long they could possibly keep the current storyline running -- it feels like Mark is gonna side with his dad or more likely reject him, and then Nolan comes back with an armada or something within another season or two. They could do the thing where Nolan has to switch sides because he loves Mark and his wife too much to conquer the Earth and kill everyone, but holy poo poo Nolan's racked up a ton of gory murders and unrepentant bad guy scenes to just go back and say "sorry, changed my mind, we're all buds again."

Yeah... I'm not sure what else really fits. Maybe he's trying to keep Humanity from being noticed by the other members of his species and he actually cares about Earth?

At this point it seems like he doesn't have a good explanation for why he killed the guardians to give his wife or son, which means he's probably just straight up bad.

It does feel like things are going quickly towards a Mark V Dad story. Personally I don't think this plot is sustainable, like you're saying, and myself I feel like the only possible ending of the story would be Mark having to kill his dad. I can't see it going any other way.

(I have not read the comics and this is pure speculation)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah... I'm not sure what else really fits. Maybe he's trying to keep Humanity from being noticed by the other members of his species and he actually cares about Earth?

At this point it seems like he doesn't have a good explanation for why he killed the guardians to give his wife or son, which means he's probably just straight up bad.

the whole 'omni man was secretly sent to earth to conquer it' twist doesn't strike me as particularly interesting than the 'why did omni man kill the not-justice league when he did and why did it seem like he did it against his will?' part.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Y'all as hyped for tomorrow as I am? :munch:

Season finale is gonna be good. I haven't felt this excited about plot arc resolution in awhile.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hope someone or something gets punched,

possibly even kicked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

The only problem with the show I have right now is the fact that the huge/detailed splash panels from the comics can't really be recreated in a tv format. Or at least the details and impact they have arnt the same in motion. I think the only image to film adaptation that captured the effect of the panels I can think of recently was one punch man.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 29, 2021